Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Watford - red division

Comments

• Options
    Fair play Ronny this is clearly a subject that vexes you greatly...but why have you waited since August to make your first posts on here about it when the quantity/quality of our away support is pretty much a twice weekly subject for discussion?
  • Options
    You just beat me to it BA give him credit though he's got a few on the line including Henners.
  • Options

Fair play Ronny this is clearly a subject that vexes you greatly...but why have you waited since August to make your first posts on here about it when the quantity/quality of our away support is pretty much a twice weekly subject for discussion?

Only just clocked the site after a link on twitter.

Yeah just dont understand the lack of numbers at away games. I mean I understand a poor turnout away to barnsley, but is a club that sells 17,000 at home unable to sell out an away trip to bermondsey!
  • Options

Kids are off till Monday?

• Options

Yeah just dont understand the lack of numbers at away games. I mean I understand a poor turnout away to barnsley, but is a club that sells 17,000 at home unable to sell out an away trip to bermondsey!
    Wrong thread me old cocker should be on the one titled 'A thread dedicated to slagging off our away support'. Have fun.
  • Options

Yeah just dont understand the lack of numbers at away games. I understand a poor turnout away to barnsley, but is a club that sells 17,000 at home unable to sell out an away trip to bermondsey!
    Fair enough, seems a reasonable explanation to me. If you've only just found the site via twitter though....how comes you signed up for it in August?
  • Options

Yeah just dont understand the lack of numbers at away games. I understand a poor turnout away to barnsley, but is a club that sells 17,000 at home unable to sell out an away trip to bermondsey!
    Fair enough, seems a reasonable explanation to me. If you've only just found the site via twitter though....how comes you signed up for it in August?
    Think i did because I couldnt see a thread or something as a non-member?
  • Options

I was born in Mottingham and however rich or poor I am will always consider myself as working class till the day I die.

Mottingham - that's posh mate. I was born in Lewisham and consider myself as Low-Life.

I sit in the North-East Quad.I'm working class when I join in the songs and consider myself part of the Covered End, but can be middle class and therefore more East Stand if I want to sit in silence, depending on how the team is playing and whether the ref needs pulling-up. So please include me in both categories.

By the way, I thought the blanket & flask comments on here were exaggerated, until the group in front of me got their tea flasks out at Watford. Surely the tops should be removed at the turnstiles?

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Tutt Tutt let me assure you that the part of Mottingham i lived in was not posh , Friday night was fight night with knives!
  • Options
    Absolute guff i'm afraid ronny - charlton has a broad spectrum of supporters, probably about the same as most other clubs. millwall and west ham are probably exceptional in their make up of support so i don't think that is a good comparison. I think the reason for our relatively low away support numbers compared to home is, as has been said before, we have done extremely well in the last 20 years in making the valley a very attractive, good value for money day out for families. The cost of an away game is far higher and therefore, i think its a combination of the newly attracted / re attracted fans being a) not so committed and b) only able to attend at an affordable price - hence making the away trip a once or twice a season event. Before our support grew again in the 90's, we probably had a normal home / away ratio. Class has very little to do with it in my opinion and i can't recall ever going to charlton and mistaking it for an episode of the antiques roadshow.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Absolute guff i'm afraid ronny - charlton has a broad spectrum of supporters, probably about the same as most other clubs. millwall and west ham are probably exceptional in their make up of support so i don't think that is a good comparison. I think the reason for our relatively low away support numbers compared to home is, as has been said before, we have done extremely well in the last 20 years in making the valley a very attractive, good value for money day out for families. The cost of an away game is far higher and therefore, i think its a combination of the newly attracted / re attracted fans being a) not so committed and b) only able to attend at an affordable price - hence making the away trip a once or twice a season event. Before our support grew again in the 90's, we probably had a normal home / away ratio. Class has very little to do with it in my opinion and i can't recall ever going to charlton and mistaking it for an episode of the antiques roadshow.

I Didnt think people still said 'Guff'.

How long are fans defined as 'new' though? Weve had 20,000 plus fans for the last 10 years! Surely these fans are committed now? And why would they only be able to afford a certain price?

i think that by attracting these new fans with our family friendly atmosphere we've made it very attractive to a middle class that has grown in SE London. Especially as Millwall is such an unattractive place. This being said i dont think its the sole reason, more a contributing factor, but a factor worth recognition, especially when compared with Millwall.
  • Options
    I believe a famous man once said:

"What a load of horseshit!"
  • Options
    I'm so posh I get out the bath to have a piss!
  • Options
    Greenie said:

What about in the shower?
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Greenie said:

I don't have a shower they're for peasents! One must bathe twice daily!
  • Options
    I still need someone to tell me if im working or middle class?(hoping middle as i fancy prawns for dinner)
  • Options
    I have absolutely no class whatsoever. I know this to be true because everyone tells me.
  • Options

mmm ... Millwalls' biggest away crowd of the season on both of the last occasions we visited the Toolbox is a poor turnout?
  • Options
    Greenie said:

RedChaser said:

Greenie said:

I don't have a shower they're for peasents! One must bathe twice daily!
    Don't you mean weekly?
  • Options
    I think I can clear up the confusion here but pointing out that Britian does not operate in the same class system as it did in the 1800s. Working class does not mean people who 'work'. They are very few land-owning squires theses days to be called middles class and the upper class no longer live in country manors with poor labourers and famers working their land. And what your parents do, does not affect who you marry.

Perhaps if you used the new system of ABC1 C2DE you might find it easier. This system is based on you and your current household and is based on your level of work or not.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I still need someone to tell me if im working or middle class?(hoping middle as i fancy prawns for dinner)

I tell you what mate , Prawn Sarnies out of one of those BP/ M&S garages , you can't go wrong (guess what i've got for lunch!) :-0

• Options

I tell you what mate , Prawn Sarnies out of one of those BP/ M&S garages , you can't go wrong (guess what i've got for lunch!) :-0

Snob :-)
  • Options
    Haha , don't knock 'em till you've tried them! :-0
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

mmm ... Millwalls' biggest away crowd of the season on both of the last occasions we visited the Toolbox is a poor turnout?
    Of course we has the biggest turn out - we live 10 minutes from the ground!
    But out off 17,000, only 3,400 or something out of a possible 3,600 were keen.
    (And if leeds werent restricted they probably wouldve sold out)
    But im not looking for a response here.

Happy to settle on: new fan base quite strongly made up of families that don't want to or can't travel away.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

stonemuse said:

Happy to settle on: new fan base quite strongly made up of families that don't want to or can't travel away.
    ONLY 3400 out of 3600 (almost 95% of availability ... and we were given extra as we sold out upper tier so quickly ... again!) ... LOL ... if you are going to pretend to be Charlton, you need to try a litle harder

By the way, you may live 10 minutes away, but most of us don't ... but then again we are Charlton supporters so we wouldn't
  • Options

stonemuse said:

Last thing to say on this for me. Yes it's only 10 minutes away but a lot of people like myself with kids would give Millwall a miss for obvious reasons, and people can go on about, grow some balls, blah, blah, but that's the reality, some people just don't need the aggro of going to that hole, although a large number did and fair play to them.

You're right our fan base is made up of many families, nothing wrong with that, it is what it is. A serious question, would you prefer 3,000 going to every away game full of families or 300-500 hard-core fans creating your intimidating atmosphere?
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

ONLY 3400 out of 3600 (almost 95% of availability ... and we were given extra as we sold out upper tier so quickly ... again!) ... LOL ... if you are going to pretend to be Charlton, you need to try a litle harder

By the way, you may live 10 minutes away, but most of us don't ... but then again we are Charlton supporters so we wouldn't
    'LOL'? Really? Jesus.

Leeds arent given the lower for crowd safety reasons, same as Westham. We probably wont next year as well now.

It doesn't even matter where you live. The point is 17,000 are able to get to a home game, but not even 3,600 are able to get 10mins further away.

Its not an achievement to sell out a local derby, its expected.
  • Options
    I did go to Millwall but i'm not surprised plenty of Charlton fans didn't want to go to Millwall , it really is a dump of a place and the club & its supporters have not done themselves any favours down the years.
  • Options
    Nug said:

stonemuse said:

Last thing to say on this for me. Yes it's only 10 minutes away but a lot of people like myself with kids would give Millwall a miss for obvious reasons, and people can go on about, grow some balls, blah, blah, but that's the reality, some people just don't need the aggro of going to that hole, although a large number did and fair play to them.

You're right our fan base is made up of many families, nothing wrong with that, it is what it is. A serious question, would you prefer 3,000 going to every away game full of families or 300-500 hard-core fans creating your intimidating atmosphere?
    Come on mate its not the 1980's. I fully understand not wanting to take your kids there but there was no trouble whatsoever if you didn't want it.

I dont really know why you're asking my opinion? I actually quite like having a fairly low away support - it means that you can have an affect on the away attendance and are actually important to the club (unlike Lpool - if you didnt go it wouldnt matter cos someone would take your place).
  • Options
    You are officially making my head hurt