Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Watford - red division

Comments

• Options

I love a class discussion. I think it is to do with hats. Flat, Trilby, Top. It is the only sure fire way of telling.

Where does a bobble hat fit in there?
  • Options
    Don't think class comes into it, but there is a much more 'sophisticated' and in some respects reserved element of Charlton support compared to most clubs. What that is down to I don't know - we do seem to have a larger percentage of older fans than a lot of other clubs of our level.

Not a bad thing, but does unfortunately mean we're never going to have the type of support that takes 3,000 up to Carlisle United on a day when we could win promotion - all because "its a bit far".
  • Options

I love a class discussion. I think it is to do with hats. Flat, Trilby, Top. It is the only sure fire way of telling.

real Charlton wear a bobble hat their mum knitted.
  • Options
    Surely you can't get more working class than a farmer?
  • Options

Don't you believe it!

Despite their moaning, you very rarely see a poor farmer.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Don't you believe it!

Despite their moaning, you very rarely see a poor farmer.
    that's 'cos they've committed suicide.
    Doesn't Prince Charles think he's a farmer? when he's not a Colonel of course.
  • Options
    Someone actually accused me of being middle class the other day, until I opened my mouth.

I did laugh.
  • Options

How do you know what class people are at a football match? Apart for some lazy stereotypes about middle class people "don't like swearing" how would you tell? Sounds a bit insulting to working class people like me that I can't control my language or behaviour at football.

And this red division lot. How many are "working class" and how many "middle class"? Is it based on their parents or on their own jobs/careers? Who carried out the survey? At what income level do you jump from one to the other?

Good point. I am only making assumptions in order to make a suggestion. I think that if a survey were conducted, youd find that the fans more likely to shout and sing would be young working class. Class isn't determined by income and only to an certain extent parents jobs.

I have to generalise based on the observation of going to millwall and westham and comparing that with Charlton and noticing the difference between speech and behaviour. At Charlton in the east and west stands people are more generally quieter and more well spoken than those who sit in the equivalent stands at West Ham and Millwall.

Of course im not saying that all working class are likely to be more aggressive nor that middle class are likely to sit and be quiet. But to deny that aggressive, loud football fans are more generally working class would be wrong.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Someone actually accused me of being middle class the other day, until I opened my mouth.

You shouldn't speak with your mouth full, very uncouth.
  • Options
    Nug said:

Nug - youve compared us to Norwich saying they're a middle class club and then said we're incomparable in terms of size so bit of a null point isnt it?

I didn't compare them to us, you said us being a middle-class club meant we had a small away following. I said they are a primarily middle class club and have a large following, hence I think class has little to do with our away following. Anyway my point was better put by Henry and apologies to any Norwich fans who are working class ;)

I see what you're saying but still kind of a useless example. We're incomparable with them because of the size of the city. A comparison with Fulham would be more useful.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

How do you know what class people are at a football match? Apart for some lazy stereotypes about middle class people "don't like swearing" how would you tell? Sounds a bit insulting to working class people like me that I can't control my language or behaviour at football.

And this red division lot. How many are "working class" and how many "middle class"? Is it based on their parents or on their own jobs/careers? Who carried out the survey? At what income level do you jump from one to the other?

Good point. I am only making assumptions in order to make a suggestion. I think that if a survey were conducted, youd find that the fans more likely to shout and sing would be young working class. Class isn't determined by income and only to an certain extent parents jobs.

I have to generalise based on the observation of going to millwall and westham and comparing that with Charlton and noticing the difference between speech and behaviour. At Charlton in the east and west stands people are more generally quieter and more well spoken than those who sit in the equivalent stands at West Ham and Millwall.

Of course im not saying that all working class are likely to be more aggressive nor that middle class are likely to sit and be quiet. But to deny that aggressive, loud football fans are more generally working class would be wrong.
    Or maybe at West Ham and Millwall young men from nice "middle class" backgrounds feel the need to act "working class" by dropping a few aitches and throwing a few swear words and "mug" about to show how tough they are.

Speaking well is a sign of education and reading not class.
  • Options

Nug said:

Nug - youve compared us to Norwich saying they're a middle class club and then said we're incomparable in terms of size so bit of a null point isnt it?

I didn't compare them to us, you said us being a middle-class club meant we had a small away following. I said they are a primarily middle class club and have a large following, hence I think class has little to do with our away following. Anyway my point was better put by Henry and apologies to any Norwich fans who are working class ;)

I see what you're saying but still kind of a useless example. We're incomparable with them because of the size of the city. A comparison with Fulham would be more useful.
    OK

• Options
    The classic Bobble is classless any other type is crass whoever wears it.
  • Options

Or maybe at West Ham and Millwall young men from nice "middle class" backgrounds feel the need to act "working class" by dropping a few aitches and throwing a few swear words and "mug" about to show how tough they are.

Education and reading ability is often a sign of class.
  • Options

Maybe. More likely though young working class are more attracted to that type of atmosphere. Old middle class attracted to the atmosphere in the west stand.

I would say articulation is a sign of education. Whereas accent can denote the class you were born in to.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    DRF said:

Education and reading ability is often a sign of class.
    Perhaps but not the point I was making.

Dislike the lazy stereotype that if you sing, swear, or are rowdy at football that means you are "working class" or that those are the characteristics of "working class" people.

And the matching stereotype that if you don't act that way or if you're not OK with football violence or racist chanting then you can't be "working class".

• Options
    I went to a Grammar School, as did my father, I currently work in retail, but I am studying to become a buyer and merchandiser, my mum is an accountant and my dad is an assessor in the catering and hospitality industry, we live in a council house on an estate and own 2 cars, are all season ticket holders in the North Lower and go to about 6-8 away games a season depending on commitments to work and all the cup games. What class are we? And what has it got to do with how much noise we make and how hardcore we are?

On a side note, can the RD please make up a chant to The Wombats' Joy Division please? Thankyou :)
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

I went to a Grammar School, as did my father, I currently work in retail, but I am studying to become a buyer and merchandiser, my mum is an accountant and my dad is an assessor in the catering and hospitality industry, we live in a council house on an estate and own 2 cars, are all season ticket holders in the North Lower and go to about 6-8 away games a season depending on commitments to work and all the cup games. What class are we? And what has it got to do with how much noise we make and how hardcore we are?

On a side note, can the RD please make up a chant to The Wombats' Joy Division please? Thankyou :)

You're bottom of the class spectrum - you like The Wombats.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    sam3110 said:

It all depends on how many episodes of Jeremy Kyle you have been on.
  • Options
    So this all means that people must be very posh in Watford as they were virtually silent on Tuesday.

;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    stonemuse said:

So this all means that people must be very posh in Watford as they were virtually silent on Tuesday.

;-)

The pitchside announcer was a bit posh wasn't he?

Enjooooooy the gaaaaaame !!!!
  • Options
    RedDivison did well Saturday didnt they guys.
  • Options

They did indeed.

• Options

They did.

(Does this mean you are going to stop calling us nasty names?)
    ;o)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    With prices as they are either people will save up a lot or aren't always going to be the "working class" types that go to matches.

I am sure its not quite at the levle of midde to upper class support seen in other sports.

For what its worth you were good vocally and brought more than Millwall did albeit that was a Tuesday night.
  • Options

They were so much better than last week.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Off_it said:

They did.

;o)
    He didn't call us Marmite did he Offy? Only I like Marmite on toast :-)
  • Options

...At Charlton in the east and west stands people are more generally quieter and more well spoken than those who sit in the equivalent stands at West Ham and Millwall.

Be careful not to confuse Millwall with working class. I don't believe may of them are:

• Options
    cafctom said:

Don't think class comes into it, but there is a much more 'sophisticated' and in some respects reserved element of Charlton support compared to most clubs. What that is down to I don't know - we do seem to have a larger percentage of older fans than a lot of other clubs of our level.

Not a bad thing, but does unfortunately mean we're never going to have the type of support that takes 3,000 up to Carlisle United on a day when we could win promotion - all because "its a bit far".

This is basically what i meant. Probably shouldn't have gone down the class route but easy to how sophistication and a reserved nature could be as percieved middle class traits.
  • Options

Off_it said:

They did.

;o)
    He didn't call us Marmite did he Offy? Only I like Marmite on toast :-)
    No, he said "your (sic) all twats". Which I thought was harsh, as the general consensus it that there are only between 60-70% twats on here at any one time.