Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Blackburn vs. Charlton | Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    I think it is wrong for us to expect the play offs, and yes, we should, and will, be happy if we finish mid table. No pressure on Sir Chris and the lads at all. But we have to accept that there is a chance of the play offs. We are still talking more about avoiding relegation which is frankly ridiculous at this point of the season.
  • Options
    Just seen the goals - Stephens strike was a goal of the season contender and Kermorgants header was also a cracker.
  • Options
    What can ye say. Top win by the lads keep it up.
  • Options
    Great. Missed the commentary, but would have taken a point. Great goals, reckon Dale will get tonight's award from Sky at least. In fact, I'm going to email my vote right now. We are above both the teams that came up with us, and the three that came down from the Prem. very happy with that
  • Options
    I'd be happy with a solid mid table finish, there's no need to spend a fortune on loan players, when I'd rather save that money and use it for squad purchases next summer.
  • Options
    All 3 goals scored in the game were very good, although at first glance it looks like Hamer might just have been able to reach Rhodes' header, but I many be doing him a disservice.

If we give Yann a couple of chances like that a game he will score plenty before the end of the season, he has such a good leap and controls his headers very well.
  • Options
    Belter from Stephens. If that had been scored at Anfield or The Etihad today Sky would have been wetting themselves.
  • Options
    Dale stephens ssn goal of the day... But since when is he only 5ft 5!!!
  • Options
    Quote from BBC Sport: "Appleton loses on Blackburn debut
    Michael Appleton's first match in charge of Blackburn ends in a disappointing 1-0 defeat by Charlton at Ewood Park."

The BBC could learn something from our work ethic
  • Options
    Now three points against the massive and three against the arse. Can't wait for palarse now. Bring the scum on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

All 3 goals scored in the game were very good, although at first glance it looks like Hamer might just have been able to reach Rhodes' header, but I many be doing him a disservice.

If we give Yann a couple of chances like that a game he will score plenty before the end of the season, he has such a good leap and controls his headers very well.

I was right behind the goal - good stretch, but slightly flat footed to begin with.

• Options

I think it is wrong for us to expect the play offs, and yes, we should, and will, be happy if we finish mid table. No pressure on Sir Chris and the lads at all. But we have to accept that there is a chance of the play offs. We are still talking more about avoiding relegation which is frankly ridiculous at this point of the season.

Anything can still happen this season. Board give SCP a bit of money to add to current squad, then who knows???

Board give SCP no money, Stephens is sold, no new players in and a couple of key players get injured, then who knows???

Personally just be happy to see 54 points on the board ASAP and SCP keep his job.
  • Options
    Great win. Feels like its all starting to come together and we've finally got a settled 'formula' that works for us. So glad Kermo is back to his best - great to watch when he's at full strength and agree with all those who say he's the first cult hero type player we've had since CP. The midfield is getting more and more like the 98 / 00 midfields where we work the other team to death and hunt the ball down in packs. With Wiggins, Fuller and Haynes still up our sleeve, its all looking good. Glad i've got my tickets for Palace. Reckon it could be a good one.
  • Options
    What a fantastic result.
    Two divisions between the teams last season and now we are turning them over on their own patch. That is progress.
    There may be more talented teams in this division, but none will have a stronger work ethic and team spirit than us.
    Well done CP & all the management, our brilliant players and of course the 441 fanatics who made the trip.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Just got back home after stopping off for a pint in Manchester.

That was the best team performance I have seen for a long time. The movement off the ball and the passing in midfield was light years ahead of what was happening before Christmas. We controlled large chunks of the game and were sensible in our decision making. It was clear that Blackburn had some quality players and Rochina made some mazy dribbles in the first ten minutes. Work rate was immense from the whole team in closing down and harassing the Blackburn player in posession.

There are some good partnerships developing. Solly and Wilson down the right and Evina and Wagstaff down the left. The midfield three of JJ, Stevo and Pritch really combined well today, playing neat triangles. Pritchard particularly played well, breaking up play, simple passes to JJ and Stephens, but also a bit of quality with the cross for Yann's goal. He had very little time to play the ball as JJ's pass didn't have quite enough pace on it. Taylor played very well in the heart of the defence, probably better than Morro who had the odd dodgy moment with backpasses.

Both goals were great, but Yann's was the most enjoyable right in front of us, with the goalie just watching the ball into the net.

Great celebrations at the end.

The squad does seem to have a togetherness and appear to be good friends in the way that they ran around hugging each other at the end. Just opening a bottle of Rioja to celebrate.

Onwards and upwards.

Come on you Reds!
  • Options

Dale stephens ssn goal of the day... But since when is he only 5ft 5!!!

Ha ha - Have they confused him with Solly?!!

• Options
    Great report Altrincham - very very pleased with the reports and result today! I think we've maybe found our best system and squad for the time being.
  • Options
    cheers Alty
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Back from the game and still buzzing.

Great performance today and a well deserved win. We wanted this so much more than Blackburn and the team spirit amongst this group was plain to see throughout and at final whistle.

We started on the backfoot with Blackburn dominating posession but not really threatening too much apart from a header straight at Hamer. Stephens goal, as mentioned, is a belter and followed some great interplay between Solly and Wilson down the right and when the cross was cleared to the edge of the area, Dale picked out the top corner. The rest of the half was more than comfortable, with our 5 man midfield starting to dominate and we finished the half on top.

Blackburn came out really fired up second half and put in a few very meaty tackles and penned us back before Rhodes' goal. Hamer was slightly unlucky and got something on it but it was a well taken goal. Stephens then missed a great chance to put us straight back in front as another clearence fell to him only 8 yards out but this time he sliced it horribly. Kermogant's goal came about after some more nice interplay on the right with Jackson pulling it back to Pritchard who crossed it for Kermorgant to soar and place it into the corner. From then on it was surprisingly comfortable. We dominated possession and looked the more likely to score until the final frantic few minutes.

The 4-5-1 formation worked perfectly against a Blackburn team who were just not allowed any time on the ball to get a foothold on the game. The three in the middle dominated and won almost every second ball, creating lots of passing triangles across the pitch. Both full backs were well protected by the players in front and there was no space for Blackburn down the wing either. As someone already mentioned, Solly and Wilson work really well together which allows both to get forward a lot more. I though Lawrie Wilson was superb today. Down the left, Evina is turning into a great player especially when he runs with the wall. I feel he has certainly got a wonder goal or two in the locker. Wagstaff worked hard forward and backwards today and run himself into the ground. I though it was interesting that when Wagstaff was brought off that Pritchard was sent to play out left. Perhaps Powell has recognised that Jackson is lot better in this league in the middle.

Down the middle Morrison was my man of the match with several crucial interceptions. Taylor played well as did Hamer behind them. In midfield, Stephens is showing a lot more bite than usual and Pritchard was everywhere,again. Jackson was a claming influence and used the ball well. Kermorgant was given a rough time by the Blackburn centre halves, but plugged away and won his fair share of headers against the much taller Scott Dans.

For me Powell got it spot on today and was very animated after the final whistle.

Fantastic day. COYR.
  • Options
    Looking at the league table
    1) We've above the other promoted clubs, 6 points above Huddersfield now
    2) We're above the 3 relegated clubs. Birmingham are in severe danger of 'doing a Charlton' and getting relegated to L1 2 years after being relegated from the PL!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nice one NorthWest - glad you had a good day.
  • Options

How many points are we from certain safety ?

55 would see us safe...4 wins and 4 draws would see us safe....and with 16 games remaining we should manage that.
    Not to be picky, but I make it 18 games left.
  • Options
    Many thanks Altrincham. Just reading your report made me go all soppygrinny again.

• Options
    The reintroduction of Pritchard (should never have been left out) then Wilson, then Waggy has turned our season around. We need them in order to compensate for Jackson's lack of pace and for Stephens who despite his undoubted class, does give the ball away cheaply at times. With Wiggins, Fuller and Haynes all fit we have a squad capable of challenging for the play offs.
  • Options
    Just seen goals, Stevo's was fantastic but Yann's header was a proper centre forwards header, real top drawer, in fact no Keeper is saving either of them.
  • Options
    Reckon Matt Taylor deserves a special mention for coming back in and apparently putting in a couple of damn solid performances. Top pro.
  • Options
    Great result - wish I'd been there instead of trying to find information for my tax return...
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Reckon Matt Taylor deserves a special mention for coming back in and apparently putting in a couple of damn solid performances. Top pro.

Agreed.

I've acknowledged Waggy on other threads but Matt has done really well too.

• Options
    I see according to the BBC we've got some player called "Harriotts"!
  • Options
    Onwards and upwards. COYR's.
    It seems a pity with hindsight that CP? kept looking for loan signings to improve the team when it seems the better choices were in front of him.
    Hopefully that means we will have fresher players for the run in.

Did Dervitte make another big mistake when he came on which might have cost us?