Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Blackburn vs. Charlton | Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:

Looking back, I'm glad CP picked the team he did against Huddersfield in the Cup. It showed that some of the squad players are not good enough and are not getting a look-in now, with the likes of Cook and Kerkar not even on the bench.

And as a direct result CP has stumbled upon the current team, and though I am not in a position to watch them, from what I have read it seems to have the right balance and work ethic.

CP masterplan or what??

I think realising that 4-5-1 is pretty much always the way to go, even at home is the real discovery Powell's made. I do worry that we aren't making the most of Fuller, but we can't just switch to 4-4-2 for the sake of accomodating one player at the likely expense of points
    Looked at our bench yesterday and thought " How strong is that !"

Fuller will have his day(s) whether it's as an impact player when we're struggling to score or whether he starts ...as will Haynes when fit again.

With Yann doing a job up front, we can afford to nurse those 2 & use as necessary without putting undue strain on their fragile body parts !

This group of lads ARE a team with Ric & Danny an integral part who will grab any chances they get with both haands/feet when asked.

• Options

Posting a bit late again but full of the joys of spring after our long trip to the frozen north.

For those who've thanked us for travelling today, it was definitely OUR pleasure . A clear run saw us in the pub by 1pm - the only warning signs on the M1 stating "animals on the road" was clearly an error as Millwall were at home today.

Seemed the further north we travelled, the less snow there was & even green fields were in evidence. In fact, I now love the North West SO much, Tenerife may have to take a back seat...

Others have said it all - we carried on where we had left off at the final whistle last Saturday. What a great starting eleven we now have ! A fantastic work rate, great energy, commitment to playing football ( as opposed to hoofball) wherever possible and a real TEAM with no "i". Honest, no frills players in the mirror image of their very special manager. What more could we ask ?

Impossible to pick a MOM for me....as has been rightly pointed out already , Matt Taylor deserves a huge amount of credit for the way he's slotted back into the team ; Yann worked really hard and looks more like his Div 1 self & was deservedly rewarded by scoring a crucial goal ; Solly, Pritch, JJ, Wilson, Evina & Morro currently " do what it says on the tin" and I take issue with those who criticise Stephens for giving the ball away ...maybe a fairish comment but I realised this afternoon that he busts a gut to win it back after making a mistake. I would certainly be very disappointed if he leaves in the window.

A long day for those of us fortunate to make the trip but the reward reaped made it so worthwhile. I realise how lucky I am to be able to travel to these games & hope I may continue to do so for some considerable time. But, however meagre in number we may be, the team is left in no doubt as to the depth & passion of our support. It is our privilege to represent the thousands anxiously listening at home.

Onwards & upwards !

What a brilliant post.
  • Options
    Regarding Stephens supposedly giving the ball away this is always a risk when you are looking to play 'forward' and create.

I was speaking about this to a pro coach and he said that he viewed "pass completion" stats as being "total bollocks" arguing that any idiot could play 100 from 100 passes from centre midfield backwards to a deep lying full back.

He said that whilst keeping possession is good that you also need midfielders who play 60/40 passes as these are the balls that open up defences and to do this you must put the ball at risk.
  • Options
    V good point re forward passing. As we know,not all of our fans at the valley understand these aspects of the game.
  • Options
    I agree with that - when he gave away the goal at Ipswich, he clearly looked up to play a positive ball and nothing was on, then looked again and lost it. Was an error but a forgivable one and players not finding space were just as culpable.

I see him as a player who always looks to play positive balls. You do this, a number will not come off, but those that do can open teams up. Also teammates will anticipate better over time and sometimes that is the difference between a good or a bad ball. Having Pritchard running his bo***cks off around him helps a lot.
  • Options
    Yep agree about Stephens passing.

Seems like we are starting to knock the ball about better, which comes from movement and options. Suits Stephens game and probably why he's finding a bit of form. Helps to have a balanced team working hard.
  • Options

Posting a bit late again but full of the joys of spring after our long trip to the frozen north.

For those who've thanked us for travelling today, it was definitely OUR pleasure . A clear run saw us in the pub by 1pm - the only warning signs on the M1 stating "animals on the road" was clearly an error as Millwall were at home today.

Seemed the further north we travelled, the less snow there was & even green fields were in evidence. In fact, I now love the North West SO much, Tenerife may have to take a back seat...

Others have said it all - we carried on where we had left off at the final whistle last Saturday. What a great starting eleven we now have ! A fantastic work rate, great energy, commitment to playing football ( as opposed to hoofball) wherever possible and a real TEAM with no "i". Honest, no frills players in the mirror image of their very special manager. What more could we ask ?

Impossible to pick a MOM for me....as has been rightly pointed out already , Matt Taylor deserves a huge amount of credit for the way he's slotted back into the team ; Yann worked really hard and looks more like his Div 1 self & was deservedly rewarded by scoring a crucial goal ; Solly, Pritch, JJ, Wilson, Evina & Morro currently " do what it says on the tin" and I take issue with those who criticise Stephens for giving the ball away ...maybe a fairish comment but I realised this afternoon that he busts a gut to win it back after making a mistake. I would certainly be very disappointed if he leaves in the window.

A long day for those of us fortunate to make the trip but the reward reaped made it so worthwhile. I realise how lucky I am to be able to travel to these games & hope I may continue to do so for some considerable time. But, however meagre in number we may be, the team is left in no doubt as to the depth & passion of our support. It is our privilege to represent the thousands anxiously listening at home.

Onwards & upwards !

Top class post as usual.

• Options
    Great post Fanny. Delighted with the last few posts about Dale as well. Have been saying this for some time and getting very frustrated with some who can't see what a player he is.
  • Options
    Another very positive thing about the Stephens goal is how many Charlton players are up in support. To have 8 players in and around the box is a good sign!
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

Another very positive thing about the Stephens goal is how many Charlton players are up in support. To have 8 players in and around the box is a good sign!

including Morrison and Taylor ready for the cross? unless my eyes deceive me
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2013
    E-cafc said:

Key point this I think. Have noticed more players getting in and around the box from Watford onwards - was so noticeable that game. We've typically played with a really big gap between our midfield and attack so this is good to see.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Regarding Stephens supposedly giving the ball away this is always a risk when you are looking to play 'forward' and create.

I was speaking about this to a pro coach and he said that he viewed "pass completion" stats as being "total bollocks" arguing that any idiot could play 100 from 100 passes from centre midfield backwards to a deep lying full back.

He said that whilst keeping possession is good that you also need midfielders who play 60/40 passes as these are the balls that open up defences and to do this you must put the ball at risk.

Totally agree, Ormy -and of course, the players who work hardest and play the most passes, will make more mistakes than the player who is not so involved in the game.

One thing I've noticed about Stevo these last few matches, is that he's upped his work rate considerably.
    And if he's making more misplaced passes, he's also making plenty more accurate ones.

Well done, Stevo.
  • Options
    Wow what a cracking finish from Dale Stephens, getting more and more like Stevie G by the day, told you he was worth 5 million! :-0
  • Options
    wasn't at the game. how did taylor do? on the highlights looks like he was a bit slow tracking rhodes for the goal.
  • Options
    agim said:

wasn't at the game. how did taylor do? on the highlights looks like he was a bit slow tracking rhodes for the goal.

Had an excellent game.

Rhodes cost Blackburn £8m and he's scored 15 times already this season. His finishing is clinical and I can't think of any centre halves in this league that are quicker than him.
  • Options
    Cost has nothing to do with it. Clearly overpriced. I'm glad Taylor is back in the starting 11 and playing well, bit on the slow side for me but he deserves a chance in this league.
  • Options
    Pleased with the midfield 5 and the work rate they put in. Wilson at right half, Pritchard at centre mid and Wagstaff on the left enables Stephens and Jackson a bit more time for their football.

Stephens does seem to have upped his work rate as well to match in with the other hard working 3. Finally we have a balanced midfield that plays to the strengths of the players in it. In praising Stephens (and Jacksons) though, it must be seen within the context of the platform given by Pritchard, Wilson and Wagstaff in a 451.

I hope we are not just having a Pawell Abott, or Darren Ambrose like pick up in performance with regard to Stephens as he is trying to impress the Villa scouts. Ambrose always played his best game against Ipswich. Pawell Abbott really put good shifts, just before he left in as he was trying to play for a move back to Poland (Shame Abbott didn't put in similar effort all the other times that he played).

Having a proper left back with Evina really helps as well. Perhaps Evina should be considered in a similar left half role as his deserves to keep his place. A hard working team with a proper balance is a pleasure to watch.

It is an excellent team ethic and spirit, and not seen the best of Alan Curbishley's teams. Well done to the players, Chris Powell and the coaching staff for finally building towards a team, which produces more than the sum of its parts. That's proper Charlton.

I hope we get to add to it, and not be subtracted away. I'll try to enjoy the three points and not think too hard about that for today.

Well done to all those that made the treck to Ewood park and well represented the club.
  • Options
    We seem to be playing with great endeavour, some skill and considerable confidence. The confidence bit is the magic ingredient that can come and go in a flash. Let's hope we don't get over confident against Wednesday.
  • Options
    Thought we played really well as a unit yest, well worth the coach trip up, Well done the 400 of us that made up it, the last 15 minutes our support was first class,
  • Options
    What a day ! Fantastic performance from the team producing a result to go with the win there in March 1992 (Kenny Dalglish first home defeat as Blackburn manager), The FA Cup in 1994 when they were a top Prem side, and winning the Championship title there in April 2000. A surreal day for travel with empty motorways. The Venkys vantage point could clearly be seen. Half of them didnt come out for the 2nd half and those that were there all left when our 2nd goal went in, and the FL Show were there which is always the kiss of death on the home side just to finish it all off! This game will go into the memory bank as a memorable day, game and result, and the reaction of the players and SCP at the end made you glad to support our great football club. Our starting 11 were all playing in League 1 last season whilst Rovers were in the Prem putting the game and result into context. Glad we could assist the Venkys push for League 1, they really dont know what they are doing and have undone all the good work of Jack Walker, whose name the Rovers fans were singing at one point. Great day for The Addicks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well done to the team and those who were there from all of us listening at home punching the air and willing the final whistle on. God this win feels ever so sweet.
  • Options

To be fair to those who sometimes criticise Stephens, it's not necessarily the ambitious forward passes that don't come off which cause the problems, but rather when he dallies on the ball, turns to face his defence and loses the ball in dangerous positions. It's about getting the balance right between holding onto the ball, and hoofing it away aimlessly, something which I'm sure will get better with experience.
  • Options
    my critcism of him last season had nothing to do with him giving the ball away - it was his work rate and this is something he seems to have upped this season
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Put £30 on us to win with Coral at 10/3
    Double happy, was freezing cold for 90 minutes but very worth it, also had a top night in Manchester after!

Roll on Palace
  • Options
    Great result and strike by Stephens

Good to see Yann score and Pritchard get an assist. Not a bad cross from the weaker foot of a player that isn't "technically good enough" for this level.

Be interesting to see if this lineup can be consistent. The extra energy in the midfield should make a real difference. Not only are they very fit and work very hard, Wilson, Pritchard and Wagstaff have all been involved in creating or scoring goals.
  • Options
    Wondering if when Wiggins is fit we'll se Evina challenging Waggy for the left midfield spot.
  • Options
    Not only was yesterday another great away win to add to the collection, but SCP and the boys pissed on Appleton's parade. Thank you from the citizens of Blackpool!!!
  • Options

Not only was yesterday another great away win to add to the collection, but SCP and the boys pissed on Appleton's parade. Thank you from the citizens of Blackpool!!!

I think Blackpool might have dodged a bullet with Appleton, am amazed at the jobs he has been offered despite doing nothing but oversee Pompey's decline - although the decline itself is not his fault.
  • Options
    I imagine highlights are up on player by now? But for those who don't have it and haven't seen all the goals:

http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/blackburn-1-charlton-2/
  • Options

I think Blackpool might have dodged a bullet with Appleton, am amazed at the jobs he has been offered despite doing nothing but oversee Pompey's decline - although the decline itself is not his fault.
    I agree. In fact, to judge from the insight provided by TFLS, if I were a Blackburn supporter I wouldn't have much faith in anyone connected with their club right now. They all seem clueless.