Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2013 UEFA U21 European Championships

Comments

• Options
    Why what?
  • Options
    Why did you do it to him Gary? Poor Trev.
  • Options
    haha!
  • Options
    Why doesnt it mean anything?
  • Options
    Did it mean nothing to you Gary?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I probably could have worded it better, but i mean it doesnt 'mean' anything in the grand scheme of competetive football. A high percentage of football fans wont even realise its taking place.

It will mean a great deal to the players on a personal level, but these competitions are mainly held and taken part in to aid the development of young players and act as experience within a tournament environment.

They mean as much to international football and its fans as what The Kent Cup means to us. Nice to win, but the experience is what counts.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

I probably could have worded it better, but i mean it doesnt 'mean' anything in the grand scheme of competetive football. A high percentage of football fans wont even realise its taking place.

It will mean a great deal to the players on a personal level, but these competitions are mainly held and taken part in to aid the development of young players and act as experience within a tournament environment.

They mean as much to international football and its fans as what The Kent Cup means to us. Nice to win, but the experience is what counts.

So youre just pointing out that it isnt a well known tournament.....

Fair point but you could probably say the same about the FA Youth Cup, we played Chelsea in it this season and there were nearly 4,000 at the Valley for it, I enjoyed going to the the game but Im sure there were plenty of Charlton fans who didnt even know the game was played....
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    CAFCTrev said:

Are you on a wind up??

I was talking to Chris about why we probably dont use 'better' players during the tournament and then you asked me why the tournament means nothing, so i answered.

'It will mean a great deal to the players on a personal level, but these competitions are mainly held and taken part in to aid the development of young players and act as experience within a tournament environment.''

EDIT: You've now edited your post
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    CAFCTrev said:

Fair point but you could probably say the same about the FA Youth Cup, we played Chelsea in it this season and there were nearly 4,000 at the Valley for it, I enjoyed going to the the game but Im sure there were plenty of Charlton fans who didnt even know the game was played....
    Too many noughts on your Chelsea attendance.
  • Options
    Woah

Not having a go or anything mate, just curious to see your point of view. Cheers for explaining!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Can you tell me my opinion on the riots in Turkey and the value of tinned soup over packet soup too Gary?

;-)

• Options
    edited June 2013
    CAFCTrev said:

Woah

Not having a go or anything mate, just curious to see your point of view. Cheers for explaining!

You edited your post after i started typing. Didnt mean to come across rude.

You can use your example of the FA Youth Cup to further my point. It doesnt really mean anything if we won it, apart from a personal perspective of the players.

So i'd expect us not to play a youngster that is involved with the 1st team (like Harriot) and play someone else who can gain experience from playing infront of bigger crowds etc.
  • Options

CAFCTrev said:

Woah

You edited your post after i started typing. Didnt mean to come across rude.

You can use your example of the FA Youth Cup to further my point. It doesnt really mean anything if we won it, apart from a personal perspective of the players.

So i'd expect us not to play a youngster that is involved with the 1st team (like Harriot) and play someone else who can gain experience from playing infront of bigger crowds etc.
    Yeah I think your pretty much spot on. Its shame it isnt more popular, recent tournaments have had some good games....
  • Options

Can you tell me my opinion on the riots in Turkey and the value of tinned soup over packet soup too Gary?

;-)

You understand their stance but point out violence is not the answer. Tinned soup is thicker and less water based, creating a more flavoursome and pleasant eating experience as a whole.

:-)
  • Options
    ValleyGary for prime minister
  • Options

;-)

You understand their stance but point out violence is not the answer. Tinned soup is thicker and less water based, creating a more flavoursome and pleasant eating experience as a whole.

:-)
    Thanks oh wise one. :-)
  • Options
    Spain have got a cracking squad.
  • Options
    Dizzle said:

Yes!
  • Options
    Israel v Norway just about to kick off. Worth a watch, they are the other two teams in our group.
  • Options
    Israel were dire. 10 man Norway got a well deserved 2-2 draw late on.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Come on Shelvey...... First goal please.
  • Options
    Just tuned in, is there a striker for Italy called immobile?!
  • Options
    Dizzle said:

...or Masterchef !

• Options
    yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss comeon
  • Options
    Think its been disallowed
  • Options
    Talal said:

Just tuned in, is there a striker for Italy called immobile?!

"Im-oh-be-lay" I'm presuming is how they're not pronouncing it.

• Options
    Lot of arm waving going on
  • Options
    Shelvey subbed for McEachran, doesn't look happy about it.
  • Options
    put the cricket on thinking we were 1 up...what happened?!
  • Options
    and now we're 1 down!