Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2013 UEFA U21 European Championships

Comments

• Options

Nothing will change, EPPP will make it worse. Our coaching and youth development won't change and will be as lacking as ever but come the next senior or U21 tournament expectations will be as unrealistically high as always.

EPPP will make it worse?

If so then the investment that Spain, Italy, France and Germany made into their academies has been totally wasted as well...

EPPP is the future, but let's see how it transforms club teams and the national side before we write it off, that means waiting a few years while the next-generation of players are being trained up properly and start making their way for their clubs.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Macronate said:

Why is Tom Jones wearing a Norway shirt?

Actually saw him near Charing Cross a couple of weeks ago. Apparently just missed him having a go at the EDL hanging around there, haha.
    I love Tom Jones.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I also don't think summer tournaments are always a definitive way of assessing the level of players for that country.

6 or 7 games over the course of 3/4 weeks won't always show the full story.

Being organised like Greece where when they won the Euros didnt mean they had the best players, they just played well in that tournament.
  • Options

Nothing will change, EPPP will make it worse. Our coaching and youth development won't change and will be as lacking as ever but come the next senior or U21 tournament expectations will be as unrealistically high as always.

EPPP will make it worse?

If so then the investment that Spain, Italy, France and Germany made into their academies has been totally wasted as well...

EPPP is the future, but let's see how it transforms club teams and the national side before we write it off, that means waiting a few years while the next-generation of players are being trained up properly and start making their way for their clubs.
    None of those countries has a model similar to EPPP.

Germany, in 2000, took youth development AWAY from clubs. Spain invested in thousands of youth coaches.

We bent over and allowed the rich clubs to take as many players as they want, when they want for next to nothing.

So some clubs are closing or down grading their academies and there is a disinsentive to invest in youth.

So Chelsea, Man City play NO english U21s last season but hey it will be alright, we can trust the FAPL to look after youth development and the England team.
  • Options
    EastStand said:

RedPanda said:

Macronate said:

Why is Tom Jones wearing a Norway shirt?

Actually saw him near Charing Cross a couple of weeks ago. Apparently just missed him having a go at the EDL hanging around there, haha.
    I love Tom Jones.
    Knicker thrower?
  • Options
    None of those countries has a model similar to EPPP.

Germany, in 2000, took youth development AWAY from clubs.

Not true - the German academy system mandates that all Bundesliga I and II clubs must have an academy, so rather than take youth development away from the clubs they did the opposite (and a lot more besides - being German they thought the entire problem through, not just one aspect of it). The DFL mandated that coaches at academy level must have UEFA B licences, that coaching and educational levels must be maintained, that training facilities must be improved with floodlit pitches etc. EPPP is pretty much based on the German system.

Have a read about how it has worked at SC Freiburg:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/23/germany-bust-boom-talent

EPPP is the future and it's here to stay.

So some clubs are closing or down grading their academies and there is a disincentive to invest in youth.

There are flaws in the system and in particular the inequitable compensation/the ability of Cat 1 clubs to entice youth players from other clubs levels favour the Cat 1 clubs - which is the reason why some clubs have downgraded/closed their academies but that's no reason to junk the entire system.

So Chelsea, Man City play NO english U21s last season but hey it will be alright, we can trust the FAPL to look after youth development and the England team.

This makes no sense to me. Doing what we've always done is clearly not working and choosing two of the most ineptly managed clubs (at least financially) is no yardstick to judge the EPPP system. Incidentally in the above article the coach at Freiburg compares his club/resources with Man City's.

If you read the article I linked to above you'll see that Freiburg managed to compete with much larger clubs in the Bundesliga and only failed on the last day of the season to qualify for the Champion's League, instead they'll have to settle for the Europa Cup next season. The reason for that was the conveyor belt of talent they trained up which allowed a club with very limited resources to compete.

We have a lot of catching up to do in England, so I don't expect results now so the current U21 Championships are way too early, to judge the success of EPPP, but on the other hand at least we qualified this year. Over the last ten U21 tournaments England's U21 failed to make the finals seven times. No doubt we would do better had several U21 players been released to play in Israel rather than be part of the full squad.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    se9addick said:

Is there the same obsession with winning youth level leagues in foreign countries as there is in Britain ? I wonder sometimes if the fact that winning the U21 league/cup seems to take precedence over everything else means we aren't focusing enough on players technical abilities ?

I can enlighten you - in Italy and Spain for example, they don't have kids playing competitive games until they are in their teens! Some reading that may choke and be disgusted - there have been posts on here about 7 year olds teams -my view is if you find that thought incredible, you are part of the problem.

Kids up to 13 need to learn to love the ball. Technique is everything up to that age and it has been proven that kids that don't have the skills at that age, never fully acquire them. That should be the focus of all good coaches and the only focus up to that key age.

The only reason for academies before that age is for clubs to trawl talent - they know less than 1% will make it - it is all one big farce.

One thing the FA does have is money and they would be advised to a) fund more foreign coaches to teach our kids and b) find a way of kicking out the dinosaurs. But some of them are dinosaurs too - the real knowledge is with the likes of Trevor Brooking but whilst positive changes have ben made - it is a bit like weeing in the ocean.
  • Options
    uncle said:

uncle said:

Because you should go to tournaments to win them, not to gain 'experience'. Pick a strong side with top quality players, not players like Delfouneso or Sordell who don't even stand out in the championship. I'd much rather the Dutch approach to this than ours. I know you don't agree though.

The squad they have out there won 9 games in a row without conceding a goal, without all the players you now want to step in and take the glory? Not sure what you are saying is good for English football or for the players you would be saying, "thanks for the last 2 years but you can get lost now.

Yes they had won 9 in a row but this is a bit of a step up in class. And it's not strictly true to say he'd be dropping all the players that got us there is it? Some of those players i mentioned definitely played in the qualifiers. Oxlade-chamberlain was our joint top scorer for a start.

The Dutch don't seem to be too bothered about their better players 'taking the glory'. Reading what Staurt Pearce said in the papers this morning i think he agrees with me too.

Still as long as we're giving Delfouneso and Sordell some tournament experience we can all rest easy!
    And remind me again of the success the dutch senior team have had? As for Mr pearce maybe if he hadn't set up not to lose with a team that had a nine game winning streak, they may have actually won.

Well they've certainly done better than us in recent times.

Won Euro 88 and made the semi finals at Euro 92, 2000 and 2004.
    Semi finals at world cup 98 and runners up in 2010.

And they have a population that's probably only about a third of our size.
  • Options
    So the last time they won something was 25 years ago, and that was with a team that could/should have one everything. They have been under performing for years. Despite having some of the worlds best players they cant perform as a team. England came 3rd in euro 96, they came 4th in the world cup in 1990 and actually won it in 66. I wouldn't swap their record.
  • Options
    The Netherlands were also runners up in the 1974 and 78 WC.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    U21's tournaments mean nothing- Fact
  • Options
    Riviera said:

hahahaha
  • Options

Still losers, 25 years without a trophy is hardly someone to set your ambitions on.

• Options
    Riviera said:

true, but the failure of the full team says all that needs to be said.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    uncle said:

Still losers, 25 years without a trophy is hardly someone to set your ambitions on.

Popoulatiom of Netherlands = 16 million
    Population of England = 53 million

I'm not sure why you seem so adverse to them, maybe a bad experience in Amsterdam. Either way given their relatively small population to pick from I think it's incredible the amount of talent (and good teams) that they've produced. Only one team can win a tournament but that fact that a "small" country like the Netherlands consistently makes semis/finals and does it with thechincally good players (WC 2010 aside !) makes them a country we should certainly look to emulate. IMO personally I'd definitely have their record of consistent success rather than a single World Cup won at home half a century ago !
  • Options
    se9addick said:

uncle said:

Popoulatiom of Netherlands = 16 million
    Population of England = 53 million

I'm not sure why you seem so adverse to them, maybe a bad experience in Amsterdam. Either way given their relatively small population to pick from I think it's incredible the amount of talent (and good teams) that they've produced. Only one team can win a tournament but that fact that a "small" country like the Netherlands consistently makes semis/finals and does it with thechincally good players (WC 2010 aside !) makes them a country we should certainly look to emulate. IMO personally I'd definitely have their record of consistent success rather than a single World Cup won at home half a century ago !
    I am not adverse to them, I just don't think we should aspire to them. Been there lots of times, and no I've had worse experiences at the Valley than I have Amsterdam. We may well have a bigger population, but we also do far better at other sports to like rugby and cricket. Not the whole of our 53 million play football. They do ok at football, they are ranked 5th in the world, we are ranked 9th. In rugby they they are ranked 34th we are ranked 4th. our 53 overall are doing pretty well.
  • Options
    So what you're saying is we should teach them rugby in exchange for them teaching us football !
  • Options
    se9addick said:

So what you're saying is we should teach them rugby in exchange for them teaching us football !

Yeah if you think that's what that say's. My oh my

• Options
    Do you not recall what happened last time England played Holland at cricket?
  • Options
    There is a reason that primarily countries like Oz and NZ play cricket and rugby rather than Holland and Spain, but I can't quite put my finger on it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is funny
  • Options

FT 1-0.

Heard it was first goal U21s conceded since 2011? Impressive record. Should be good to make the next round up against Israel and Norway...

QUACK

• Options
    Should've been, considering we were favourites and we beat Norway home and away in qualifying. Never under-estimate the impact of tactical incompetence I suppose.

Sorry. At least you got a laugh out of it. :-)
  • Options
    Our U-21's will carry on like this under Pearce. Thick as two short planks.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    CAFCOlly said:

Our U-21's will carry on like this under Pearce. Thick as two short planks.

How many other managers would do this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj7Gtwbvciw
  • Options
    Funniest thing is they had a shirt already printed for him, like it was pre-meditated?
  • Options
    Don't really understand how Pearce got the job in the first place.
  • Options

Funniest thing is they had a shirt already printed for him, like it was pre-meditated?

Pretty sure the two terrible challenges on Dorriva should have equaled a red card !
  • Options

Don't really understand how Pearce got the job in the first place.

Because he's really passionate.
  • Options
    Not sure about that red card.