Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2013 UEFA U21 European Championships

Comments

• Options

That still leaves another 7 players.

My point is that we have a large pool of young talent that means we don't need to use players like Phil Jones or Kyle Walker at this level.

I'm not disagreeing I was pointing out why those 3 can't play in the next match.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Ah fair enough mate, I'm not used to people agreeing with me!
  • Options

Ah fair enough mate, I'm not used to people agreeing with me!

hahaha I seem to have that problem

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Firstly, England's record suggests they are not a bad side but they do seem exposed when they play a really top side. The problem for me is the way we teach our youngsters - too much emphasis on playing how you need to to win games rather than developing players. I have been saying this for years but great to see Glenn Hoddle say the same thing. It isn't just the passing, but the movement to receive the pass where we are lacking against the very best.

If we teach kids to pass better, movement will improve as there is more of an incentive to make yourself available. I watch a lot of youth football and the amount of good runs that never get rewarded is far too high and the kid gives up in the end!

What do we need to do? Well firstly the smaller pitches that the FA have introduced has been done and is a good thing. (should mean kids have more ball time and more passing and that the pitch is proportionate for their size so they play right and not a game to use the size of the pitch) I think kids go up a pitch size a year early though and most coaches don't seem to get it and can't wait to move to offsides then 11 a-side. Unfortunately, these are the same coaches who coached 10 years ago and they all need replacing if they can't change their philosophy - not going to happen though IMO.

Also where a 11 year old has the physique of a 16 year old - he gains absolutely nothing playing with 11 year olds and neither do they. It becomes an easy option for coaches wanting to win games. What teams a boy plays in should be determined at all times by what is best for his development, not winning games.

Then awareness of where teammates are needs to be taught. It needs to be second nature for kids to keep looking around the pitch when they haven't got the ball so they know where their team mates are when they get it. I see professional players who don't have this basic ability and it is essential to good passing.

I think the FA are moving in the right direction but there needs to be a coaching revolution - but when so many coaches of youngsters do it for free and undoubtably love the game, it isn't easy to push them out.

• Options
    Good post Muttley.

I bet If you went to watch an U16 level game at most clubs I would guess that the strong/fast players completely outnumber the technical ones. Whereas in somewhere like Spain it would be other way round.
  • Options

2002 World Cup. Brazil had 10 men and Sven froze. If we won that i reckon we would have gone all the way.

Euro 96 was England's best chance IMO
  • Options
    1-0 down against Norway
  • Options
    0-2
  • Options
    2-0 down. got to be the end for pearce if we lose this
  • Options
    Phil Neville next boss?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not watching but the line-up looks ridiculous. Where's the centre forward? Why are we playing 3 wingers?
  • Options
    That is a top post @MuttleyCAFC, you are spot on.

Just watching the England game and hate the way we play.

Apart from the odd occasion, where is the movement after the pass?At an early age I was always told never to admire your pass, move again.

This type of football will go on for years unless the way we coach at youth level and beyond is changed.
  • Options

Not watching but the line-up looks ridiculous. Where's the centre forward? Why are we playing 3 wingers?

Is Shelvey playing?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Pearce is an awful tactical manager
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Shelvey not playing.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

Shelvey not playing.

Thank god

• Options
    This is embarrassing now...
  • Options
    Someone needs to remove that treacle off the pitch.
  • Options
    Oh England...
  • Options
    I wonder if Pearce will stick Jack Butland up front if we still need a goal with 5 minutes to go?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I wonder if Pearce will stick Jack Butland up front if we still need a goal with 5 minutes to go?

Pearce isn't that tactically acute
  • Options
    Pretty embarrassing
  • Options
    Have to say the 2nd and 3rd Norway goals were really well taken but we looked rather toothless considering the number of attacking players we had.
  • Options
    Don't blame the manager. We've had dozens of managers who've not had success.

Don't blame the players. See above.

Blame the system that doesn't produce enough good players and even then denies many of them to the U21 manager.

Blame the fans and press who when we lose to Italy say "we'll still beat Norway and the other side to qualify" as if England had some right to brush aside lesser countries.

Nothing will change, EPPP will make it worse. Our coaching and youth development won't change and will be as lacking as ever but come the next senior or U21 tournament expectations will be as unrealistically high as always.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Don't blame the manager. We've had dozens of managers who've not had success.

Don't blame the players. See above.

Blame the system that doesn't produce enough good players and even then denies many of them to the U21 manager.

Blame the fans and press who when we lose to Italy say "we'll still beat Norway and the other side to qualify" as if England had some right to brush aside lesser countries.

Nothing will change, EPPP will make it worse. Our coaching and youth development won't change and will be as lacking as ever but come the next senior or U21 tournament expectations will be as unrealistically high as always.

In fairness we had the players to beat Norway twice in the qualifiers. As for the manager, I still don't know why, when you have a team that have won their last 9 games without conceding, you set them up to draw. You should be telling them they can beat anyone and set them up to do so. It can't be good for their confidence.
  • Options
  • Options
    Why is Tom Jones wearing a Norway shirt?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Macronate said:

Why is Tom Jones wearing a Norway shirt?

Actually saw him near Charing Cross a couple of weeks ago. Apparently just missed him having a go at the EDL hanging around there, haha.
  • Options
    Looks like Donald Sutherland
  • Options
    Is there the same obsession with winning youth level leagues in foreign countries as there is in Britain ? I wonder sometimes if the fact that winning the U21 league/cup seems to take precedence over everything else means we aren't focusing enough on players technical abilities ?