Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2013 UEFA U21 European Championships

Comments

• Options
    Why does that 'prove your point'?

Players like Welbeck, Wiltshire, Ox etc already have international tournament experience.

Players like Shelvey et al need it.

• Options
    Because you should go to tournaments to win them, not to gain 'experience'. Pick a strong side with top quality players, not players like Delfouneso or Sordell who don't even stand out in the championship. I'd much rather the Dutch approach to this than ours. I know you don't agree though.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Because you should go to tournaments to win them, not to gain 'experience'. Pick a strong side with top quality players, not players like Delfouneso or Sordell who don't even stand out in the championship. I'd much rather the Dutch approach to this than ours. I know you don't agree though.

Mate I agree with the fact that you should go to a tournament to win it...at senior level and at a personal level.

But overall I'd rather the young crop of players that will be pushing into the senior side in a few years gain the experience than those that are already in the senior side.

Anyway, c'mon England.
  • Options
    the Dutch look good in attack as do the Spanish all round and the Italians in midfield and defence
  • Options
    Evening Lincs, could you keep us updated with the score please, thankyou!
  • Options
    Ah there's not a match in progress, D'oh!
  • Options
    The Germans won't be liking this..................2-0
  • Options
    Ah there is!

Any good?
  • Options

Evening Lincs, could you keep us updated with the score please, thankyou!

MIA .. I am just orf .. Absurdi has his digit on the pulse though ... Germans look OK but slow build up .. the Dutch in attack are lethal
  • Options

The squad they have out there won 9 games in a row without conceding a goal, without all the players you now want to step in and take the glory? Not sure what you are saying is good for English football or for the players you would be saying, "thanks for the last 2 years but you can get lost now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2-0 Holland at half time
  • Options
    2-1 this is turning into a game now
  • Options
    2-2 never write off the Germans
  • Options
    Holland winning 3-2.... What a game
  • Options
    Would you adam and eve it. Sorry Beds, looked only 1 winner after Germany equalised. The Dutch did nothing in the second half, soft set piece goal. Glad to see our coaches left before the goal.
  • Options
    Sounds an absolute belter of a match.
  • Options

Sounds an absolute belter of a match.

it was the best so far... So only England, Germany and Russia have no points. Out of the three I would rather be us, be very tough for the other two to go through.
  • Options
    Agree with earlier in the thread, going there to win it is the only way. Winning is a habit, learn how to win at that level and maybe that psychological bloke for many England players will disappear over time.
  • Options

Agree with earlier in the thread, going there to win it is the only way. Winning is a habit, learn how to win at that level and maybe that psychological bloke for many England players will disappear over time.

The players that got us through the group are going there to win. Bringing in players that are already at senior level and bombing 7/8 players that have been permanents in the U21 is surely going to damage confidence more?
  • Options
    uncle said:

The squad they have out there won 9 games in a row without conceding a goal, without all the players you now want to step in and take the glory? Not sure what you are saying is good for English football or for the players you would be saying, "thanks for the last 2 years but you can get lost now.

Yes they had won 9 in a row but this is a bit of a step up in class. And it's not strictly true to say he'd be dropping all the players that got us there is it? Some of those players i mentioned definitely played in the qualifiers. Oxlade-chamberlain was our joint top scorer for a start.

The Dutch don't seem to be too bothered about their better players 'taking the glory'. Reading what Staurt Pearce said in the papers this morning i think he agrees with me too.

Still as long as we're giving Delfouneso and Sordell some tournament experience we can all rest easy!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    nothing wrong with using these players that didnt play on Tuesday;
    Luke Shaw
    Martin Kelly
    Andros Townsend
    McManaman
    Raheem Sterling
    Nick Powell
    Ross Barkley
    Zaha
    Ince
    Danny Rose

• Options
    edited June 2013

dizzee said:

Oh England...

Shall we just quit international football?

I'm sure we're going backwards.

Here are some of the players we had eligible for last night but aren't there for one reason or another:

Wilshere
    Oxlade-Chamberlain
    Phil Jones
    Rodwell
    Welbeck
    Luke Shaw
    Kyle Walker
    Martin Kelly
    Andros Townsend
    McManaman
    Raheem Sterling
    Nick Powell
    Ross Barkley
    Not to mention that Zaha, Ince and Danny Rose didn't play either.

Not quite the death of our game yet and we should still win the other 2 matches.
    I understand what you're saying but even if all of these players do reach their potential it's still not enough for us to compete with the likes of Germany, Italy, Spain.

Wouldn't you rather have El Sharaawy, Isco, Balotelli, De Gae, Gotze, and many many more coming through than half of that list above.

I will always support the national team through whatever form but we really do overrate our own players so maybe I should settle for the odd quarter final in future. Wow I feel like a spoilt Chelsea fan!
  • Options
    England's golden era has passed. Our best chance of success was with the likes of Gerrard, Terry, Ferdinand, Cole, Lampard, Rooney all playing on form in the same team.
  • Options
    I understand Holtby played for Germany last night. How did he play, anyone?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    jakecafc said:

England's golden era has passed. Our best chance of success was with the likes of Gerrard, Terry, Ferdinand, Cole, Lampard, Rooney all playing on form in the same team.

Owen, neville, Beckham, cambell scholes. Such talent we had. Euro 2004
    was the best chance imo.
  • Options
    2002 World Cup. Brazil had 10 men and Sven froze. If we won that i reckon we would have gone all the way.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

I understand Holtby played for Germany last night. How did he play, anyone?

He was mom by far

• Options

nothing wrong with using these players that didnt play on Tuesday;
    Luke Shaw
    Martin Kelly
    Andros Townsend
    McManaman
    Raheem Sterling
    Nick Powell
    Ross Barkley
    Zaha
    Ince
    Danny Rose

Townsend banned for gambling, sterling injured, McManaman injured.
  • Options

uncle said:

Yes they had won 9 in a row but this is a bit of a step up in class. And it's not strictly true to say he'd be dropping all the players that got us there is it? Some of those players i mentioned definitely played in the qualifiers. Oxlade-chamberlain was our joint top scorer for a start.

The Dutch don't seem to be too bothered about their better players 'taking the glory'. Reading what Staurt Pearce said in the papers this morning i think he agrees with me too.

Still as long as we're giving Delfouneso and Sordell some tournament experience we can all rest easy!
    And remind me again of the success the dutch senior team have had? As for Mr pearce maybe if he hadn't set up not to lose with a team that had a nine game winning streak, they may have actually won.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    That still leaves another 7 players.

My point is that we have a large pool of young talent that means we don't need to use players like Phil Jones or Kyle Walker at this level.