Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2013 UEFA U21 European Championships

Comments

• Options

Don't really understand how Pearce got the job in the first place.

I can only assume no one else wanted it.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    FA chairman (outgoing) David Bernstein is 'impressed' with Pearce's performance as U21 coach/manager .. for 'impressed', read ... 'he comes cheap and is a yes man'
  • Options

FA chairman (outgoing) David Bernstein is 'impressed' with Pearce's performance as U21 coach/manager .. for 'impressed', read ... 'he comes cheap and is a yes man'

They were the qualities that Charlton liked about Parky & the fact that he's a really nice bloke.
  • Options
    Not sure he is a yes man anymore. Seems to be frustrated with the fa and the players and let everyone know it .
  • Options
    edited June 2013

• Options

For impressed you can read - gone in the morning. The FA's equivalent of the chairman of a league club's giving his manager a vote of confidence.

There's no more U21 football for some time, so no need to panic and rush a successor in. I'd like/hope that this gives the FA a chance to work out what they are trying to achieve with the U21 set up and then get someone in who'll deliver that. What I expect is a job for one of the boys...

• Options
    The name i saw linked in the press was............Gareth Southgate. Hopeless.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

The name i saw linked in the press was............Gareth Southgate. Hopeless.

Thats the problem with the FA. They think 'oh ex England pro, he'll be in touch with the current game and know what its like etc' but that not always the case.

They need to start looking for Coaches that have the required Coaching skills and bring new ideas. Take a look at coaches like Damion Matthews at our own development squad, he doesnt have huge notable pro football experience but he has achieved success because he's a brilliant coach.
  • Options
    I'm sure this has been mentioned before but been reading a lot about how many countries develop their kids with Futsal. We seem to be one of the few countries that don't do this. Coutinho is one of many who attribute it to their development http://futsal4kids.com/philippe_coutinho/

By the way I still think Hoddle could be valuable to the FA, but I fear we need to go back to much younger ages to really make a difference.
  • Options
    Really can't understand the English attitude to rushing players into the full team. The top teams aren't full of under 23s. There are a lot of good young players that England could have fielded in this tournament, but there's always this "we're too good for this" attitude. Better to develop winning experience playing expressive football under less pressure. You'd think it would be worth s try.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Really can't understand the English attitude to rushing players into the full team. The top teams aren't full of under 23s. There are a lot of good young players that England could have fielded in this tournament, but there's always this "we're too good for this" attitude. Better to develop winning experience playing expressive football under less pressure. You'd think it would be worth s try.

It also undermines the concept of the U21s - essentially it says that it's a stopgap to the next level and not to be taken all that seriously. Instead of playing in this tournament the likes of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain go off to Brazil and get a few minutes of senior football in a glorified friendly between two teams who's kit is supplied by Nike. A great experience for him, and he scored a fabulous goal, but surely he would have learnt more playing in a competitive tournament for a couple of weeks and he could be given a game in any one of a number of other friendlies.

Again it's worth looking at what German clubs do - at club level after players have gone through the youth team stages they can be fast-tracked into the first team squad but more usually play for the second team which competes in the local regional leagues for a couple of seasons. This gives them experience of playing the game professionally and at an adult level before graduating into the first team squad. This would be the equivalent of our academy squad playing in the BSP south division.

• Options
    I would beg Glenn hoddle to take the job and there needs to be a change to the way that the under 21s are viewed

As for Pearce one of my idols as a kid growing
    Up watching football but doesnt inspire the same feelings as a mgr and hasntbin any job he has taken nor does he come across well on tv and press
  • Options

spot on IMO, a couple of good games and you get an England cap. Players like Rodwell shouldnt have England caps.

Another interesting thing I read (sorry cant find the link) is about the amount of players capped in the 18 months before major tournaments. The successful sides have lower numbers. It pointed out we are way too experimental in friendlies. Spain for example had a little friendly about a year before the Euro 2012 and 10 players started both that and the Euro final.
  • Options
    I read earlier that Rodwell flew to Brazil and played 7 minutes of the friendly. How is that more beneficial to him than playing for the under 21s in a tournament? Especially in a season where he hardly played much for his club anyway.
  • Options
    Pearce needs to go. Got no clue at all.

As Nth London addick said, i'd get Glenn in the job asap.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    We qualify every year. If we didn't get to the tournaments no one would give à shit. There are only 8 teams in this competition. So we are in the top 8 of europe at u21 level just like we have been at senior level for years and years. The performanves were poor but its not the end of english football.

I struggle to name one player in the teams put out that will play for england at senior level regular.

As for winning mentality, if you think sending young senior players to these tournaments will make à blind bit of difference to them when they take to the field in à pressure cooker q/f at à euro or world cup then in my opinion you are deluding yourselves. Two totally different situations that can not be compared.

Premier league games are bigger.
  • Options

Pearce needs to go. Got no clue at all.

As Nth London addick said, i'd get Glenn in the job asap.

It is unfair to blame Pearce - I think his record has been pretty decent given the tools at his disposal.
  • Options
    we have one greedy set of players whom of which most have just one focus, the passing in the offensive 3rd is non existence within 25 yds from goal

the crossing quality is nil

do some of them have any ability to look up before they try to do anything with a football

shocking shocking shocking
  • Options

We qualify every year. If we didn't get to the tournaments no one would give à shit. There are only 8 teams in this competition. So we are in the top 8 of europe at u21 level just like we have been at senior level for years and years. The performanves were poor but its not the end of english football.

I struggle to name one player in the teams put out that will play for england at senior level regular.

As for winning mentality, if you think sending young senior players to these tournaments will make à blind bit of difference to them when they take to the field in à pressure cooker q/f at à euro or world cup then in my opinion you are deluding yourselves. Two totally different situations that can not be compared.

Premier league games are bigger.

Germany
    1 Manuel Neuer
    2 Andreas Beck
    4 Benedikt Höwedes
    5 Jerome Boateng
    7 Patrick Ebert
    8 Sami Khedira
    9 Ashkan Dejagah
    10 Mesut Özil
    19 Änis Ben-Hatira
    20 Gonzalo Castro
    21 Marcel Schmelzer

England
    22 Scott Loach
    3 Andrew Taylor
    5 Richard Stearman
    8 Craig Gardner
    11 Adam Johnson
    15 Jack Rodwell
    16 James Tomkins
    18 Michael Mancienne
    20 Andrew Driver
    21 Fraizer Campbell
    23 Danny Rose

Here are the teams that played in the group stage of the last U21s. I'd suggest that the German model of picking your best U21s and promoting them to the senior squad is a better way of building for success.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2013
    In my opinion they still would have been successful Without that tournament i have no doubt about it. Quality players that were bound for success anyway.

But i respect your valid point I just do not agree that the u21 level shapes the seniors.
  • Options
    Israel 1 England 0. Completely embarrassing. I hope our FA are happy.
  • Options
    And there lies the problem woeful subs shocking buildup play and a manager whos only response to shit play is to shout

Come on from the touch line

Load of shit
  • Options
    at least our players can all run fast though
  • Options
    Shocking
  • Options
    That back four is weak and we don't have alot to improve it (walker....?)

And no prolific goalscorer looks like an English problem for years to come.
  • Options
    Absolute shite. And it's not just Pearce, either.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    1 goal in 3 games and that was a penalty says it all!

Just as well we weren't in the Spain,Germany and Netherlands group.
  • Options
    If Connor Wickham is the best U21 striker we have then we are in for a very lean period for England.

The more I see of Zaha the more expensive that £15m looks, Can't imagine him getting in United's first team for a good while.
  • Options
    Until some of the huge money generated from the EPL is invested in grass roots football, things are not going to change. On the face of it you'd' think it's a nothing tournament but unfortunately it's just another in the line of underachievement and poor displays from an England team, regardless of the level. I remember reading the All England Tennis Club haven't been able to develop players that can compete at the top level despite having the richest tournament (Andy Murray aside, but he was trained in Spain I believe). Maybe the people that run these organisations lack the knowledge an get voted in as part of some old boys network. Time for a shake up I think, the EPL is killing the national team.