Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Froch v Groves

Comments

• Carter said:

Ah you have been truly sold this build up haven't you?

If Carl Froch had gotten more exposure over the last few years you would see he only has one way of fighting. Watch ten of his fights in any order and you will see that.

Do the same with Groves and you will see an array of styles

The only change will be Froch starting a lot more live than before and he didn't come out like a slouch in the last fight he got caught with a perfect one-two which then made life very uncomfortable for him over the rest of the fight

The build up means diddly squat

Remember Ricky Hatton was as tough as they come until the wars caught up with him, Froch has never been one to slip punches and move and this has cost him in the past. Punch resistance is not infinite and another six rounds like the last fight will end him

And you think Carl will come out this fight exactly the same as he did previously? Not a chance. Want a small bet between us?
  • Groves has shown the one punch power to flop Froch whereas Froch is a cumulative puncher and does not have as much power IMO I think this will be the difference. Groves by KO first 5 rounds Froch has no defence apart from his big nose and chin.
  • Carter said:

If Carl Froch had gotten more exposure over the last few years you would see he only has one way of fighting. Watch ten of his fights in any order and you will see that.

The only change will be Froch starting a lot more live than before and he didn't come out like a slouch in the last fight he got caught with a perfect one-two which then made life very uncomfortable for him over the rest of the fight

Remember Ricky Hatton was as tough as they come until the wars caught up with him, Froch has never been one to slip punches and move and this has cost him in the past. Punch resistance is not infinite and another six rounds like the last fight will end him

And you think Carl will come out this fight exactly the same as he did previously? Not a chance. Want a small bet between us?
    Yes because that's how he's fought for his entire career. He has no plan B. Watch his fight against Andre Ward for proof of that.

Whichever way you see this fight going and whoever you want to win, there is one thing we can all agree on, their chat is appalling.

• Carter said:

What do you consider a small bet, I'm interested.
  • edited May 2014
    I don't agree with the view that Froch only knows one way to fight - just look at the two Kessler fights if you want evidence of that.

I believe the fight will be different this time - much more cagey early on, but I still see the possible outcomes the same as last time - Groves on points or a Froch win by stoppage.

I hope it's Groves.
  • Carter said:

What do you consider a small bet, I'm interested.
    Between £50-£100? Upto £200.
  • I'll have a tenner for charity with you that Carl Froch will not start slipping punches, feingning and moving his head overnight

Or do you mean I back Groves you back Froch?

The two Kessler fights he tried to box behind a jab in the first amd was outworked by a younger, better Mikkel Kessler it can be argued he got the best of the later rounds but I think Kessler won the first maybe not comfortably but he did enough to win

The second fight is academic for me, Kessler had not gotten better in the time between meetings, Froch did what he did in the first fight just against a lesser kessler
  • All the pre-fight bullshit and posturing makes me laugh, such a load of bollocks as is the crap about 'sports psychologists' giving either fighter an edge.

As Mike Tyson famously said, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face."
  • I mean I'll have Froch, you can have Groves. Lets say £50 then and winner also donates £10 of it to upbeats?
  • Sponsored links:

• Groves inside 6.
  • I mean I'll have Froch, you can have Groves. Lets say £50 then and winner also donates £10 of it to upbeats?

Current odds - Froch 8/13 - Groves 13/10 and you're offering an even £50 with you on Froch? Nice work if you can get it!

• bobmunro said:

I mean I'll have Froch, you can have Groves. Lets say £50 then and winner also donates £10 of it to upbeats?

Current odds - Froch 8/13 - Groves 13/10 and you're offering an even £50 with you on Froch? Nice work if you can get it!

Groves has halved in value since the day the rematch was announced as well!
  • All the pre-fight bullshit and posturing makes me laugh, such a load of bollocks as is the crap about 'sports psychologists' giving either fighter an edge.

As Mike Tyson famously said, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face."

Those pay-per-view orders won't sell themselves...
  • Froch has had a good camp but there are murmurs that he has had an injury to his jaw

Groves has mentioned more than once that he hopes froch turns up

Groves will have a harder fight this time and he knows it

Froch did not take it seriously doing that stupid dancing thing with his missus before the fight was naive and to be honest shameful and a lack of respect

But froch won't be able to handle groves speed he won't be able to slow groves down before being tired himself

Age and fights will catch up with him

The ref won't stop it too soon this time but the only way froch wins is if groves freezes

Those pay-per-view orders won't sell themselves...
    Yes, that is a fair point but its just so confected that its embarrassing.

Listened to a great interview with Steve Collins the other night and he said that his fight with Eubank was not doing as well as it should in terms of ticket sales so he invented this 'Hypnotist' story where he said he had been hypnotised and therefore could not be hurt by Eubank.

The story exploded and not only was the fight soon sold out but it spooked Eubank as well.

I'll call it a tenner to the upbeats either way

If I win you'll have every Charlton fan on this site claiming to be me if we did anything over that. The callous bastards

For what it's worth this is Groves' fight to lose, he can comfortably out point Froch if he moves. Froch will look to wear him down on the inside if Groves fights this way which will be futile.

I wouldn't be shocked if Froch had a bad jaw after the last fight either
  • edited May 2014
    Carter said:

I mean I'll have Froch, you can have Groves. Lets say £50 then and winner also donates £10 of it to upbeats?

I'll call it a tenner to the upbeats either way

If I win you'll have every Charlton fan on this site claiming to be me if we did anything over that. The callous bastards

For what it's worth this is Groves' fight to lose, he can comfortably out point Froch if he moves. Froch will look to wear him down on the inside if Groves fights this way which will be futile.

I wouldn't be shocked if Froch had a bad jaw after the last fight either
    Fair enough then, if Groves wins, I'll donate a tenner to upbeats - if Carl wins, you donate a tenner to upbeats, deal?

Think you'll be surprised what Carl you'll see come Saturday
  • Deal

I'll be more than shocked if he moves his head let alone does anything different. Great fighrer and a very hard man to beat but Groves can only beat himself by being reckless. If he loses it will all be on him doing something stupid
  • Happened in camp carts about 6 weeks ago from what I have been told
  • Sponsored links:

• If there is any frailty in Froch's chin he is in trouble. Ricky Burns has not been the same since Beltram damaged his.

And damaged jaws really, really hurt

He is a very hard man Carl Froch
  • I love watching both fighters. Froch is a typical British fighter that you want to root for - never stops coming forward, hard as nails, power in his punches and only knows one way to fight. Unfortunately that was and will again be his downfall - Groves has about ten different ways to win a fight. He can punch a lot harder than given credit for (as Froch found out), is a great technician, durable, crafty and not above being dirty when he needs to.

Seriously think this has the makings of one of the best British fights ever. The last one was good enough, but this will be better.

What i'm really looking forward to is the inevitable rematch with Groves and DeGale. I want to see Groves rearrange that prick again.
  • I was at the O2 that night and rooting for George - but Groves hardly rearranged Degale. He won what was a very close fight.
  • edited May 2014
    De Gale is a completely different fighter he would also give froch problems being a lefty and a slippery bastard much like andre dirrel when he wants to be. He's also never really been whacked

That was a great fight for different reasons, very tense I had Groves by two rounds in that but again Groves would not fight in the same way against De Gale as he would Froch if they were to rematch which I have no doubt they will. At some point one of them will have to face Ward who is away on his own at the top of that division and really roughed Froch up whem they fought

Froch made an interesting comment about Groves being a boiled down light heavyweight last week which amazed me, could sort of understand that about someone like callum Smith but not groves. I think that was Froch acknowledging Groves can really thump personally
  • I guess the race horse in your profile picture should've been a warning sign!

I'll think about it....

Froch has had a good camp but there are murmurs that he has had an injury to his jaw

Groves has mentioned more than once that he hopes froch turns up

Groves will have a harder fight this time and he knows it

Froch did not take it seriously doing that stupid dancing thing with his missus before the fight was naive and to be honest shameful and a lack of respect

But froch won't be able to handle groves speed he won't be able to slow groves down before being tired himself

Age and fights will catch up with him

The ref won't stop it too soon this time but the only way froch wins is if groves freezes

I thought the dancing thing was months before training? Before the first fight Froch was saying he was taking it very seriously as he didn't want to be embarrassed. Either way both have prepared better this fight and I don't think much can read into the first fight.
  • Should be a cracking fight. I lean towards Groves but won't be risking any money on the outcome.
  • "I don't like the whole fame thing" no Carl, you just make yourself look a prat dancing on national television.
  • Carter said:

De Gale is a completely different fighter he would also give froch problems being a lefty and a slippery bastard much like andre dirrel when he wants to be. He's also never really been whacked

That was a great fight for different reasons, very tense I had Groves by two rounds in that but again Groves would not fight in the same way against De Gale as he would Froch if they were to rematch which I have no doubt they will. At some point one of them will have to face Ward who is away on his own at the top of that division and really roughed Froch up whem they fought

Froch made an interesting comment about Groves being a boiled down light heavyweight last week which amazed me, could sort of understand that about someone like callum Smith but not groves. I think that was Froch acknowledging Groves can really thump personally

Agree with all of that - I had Groves by 1 or 2 rounds also but could have accepted a different decision. It also shows the versatility of Groves - he out thought Degale that night and boxed brilliantly. If he does that with Froch this time around then he should be able to dance to a points win. I don't think though that he will be able to resist trying to land the heavy punches.

I would love to see Groves/Degale again and also Groves against Ward - the latter would be a much closer fight than Froch managed but I would call it for Ward (just).

I also believe that Froch is right about Groves being a boiled down light heavy. I can see George moving up at some point.
  • Yep and yep and yep

Groves could easily box froch's ears off but anyone who can punch that hard will always be tempted to engage. He has had man strength since he was an amateur he was knocking people over for fun then
  • Wasn't that long before the fight and he only made it In camp due to his " poor back injury"

Watch froch on the behind scenes training camp on sky

He allows sparring to be filmed wrong move

Eubanks jr shows he can not deal with pace speed and power

Rob mc don't look convinced

And froch has the eyes of an ageing fighter

Groves will win this he is going to swarm him and land some seriously powerful and hurtful blows

I think groves takes froch out in the late rds