Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Leicester post-match news & views 2013

Comments

• Options
    FT Stats Addicks first (as ever)-:

possession 58% - 42%
    shots on 8 - 5
    shots off 7 - 3
    corners 11 - 3

GOALS 2 - 1
  • Options
    Absolutely fantastic game, 2 ex leicester players getting our goals as well makes it even sweeter.

Schmeichel MoM for me, closely followed by Pritchard.

Fantastic team performance as well.
  • Options

FT Stats Addicks first (as ever)-:

possession 58% - 42%
    shots on 8 - 5
    shots off 7 - 3
    corners 11 - 3

GOALS 2 - 1

we gave them a jolly good thrashing ((:->)
  • Options
    Posting before reading.
    Great win first of all.
    Schmiecal punched a free kick awfully, that led to the corner and to the header Morro powerfully put away. Ex Leicester.
    However Kasper also produced a banks like save in the second half which you won't see bettered at the Valley for a few years, he also brought off one or two other saves.
    I am glad the Leicester player talked himself off or the result might have been different. However Yanns goal was a brutal beast of a header that will also take a lot of bettering this season. Ex Leicester.
    However the outstanding player for me was Bradley Pritchard who was everywhere doing everything, not playing like two players, but three! So in the end it was 14 v 10 which you'd have to say made it difficult for Leicester.
    Also we changed the handshake line up, and broke towards the Jimmy Seed end prior to the toss and kick off which I don't think I've seen before. Other highlights were some Zeppelin (Rock and Roll) just before the second half kicked off.
    The lowlight is what has happened to the Red Red Robin, this needs sorting urgently.
  • Options
    An excellent win and a huge relief to go into the break on a high.

I'm surprised Pearson decided to match up with a 3-5-2, but that's not our problem.

COYR.
  • Options
    Busy energetic performance that deserved the three points. Think Leicester will rue their very lacklustre first half performance which Effectively gave us a goal start. Lots of positives. Stephens, Pritchard, Kermorgant and Chichi. Two slight downers for me. Wiggins still out of sorts although better and Wilson out of his depth. Right side of midfield is still very weak. Well done though lads.
  • Options
    Fantastic result and the performance sounded spot on. The 3-5-2 seems to be working. Well done CP as usual. Just when you think we're down and out he bounces us back. Tremendous.
  • Options
    Bit harsh on Wilson SHG, one of his better games, disciplined and provided a good outlet on the right, covered well with Morrison miles better than Green.

No one appears to have missed Harriott....
  • Options
    Great win and thoroughly deserved.

I thought the 3-5-2 system worked well. Wilson and Wiggins are natural wing backs. I was initially concerned that a lack of pace in the back three would be a problem when Leicester broke, but apart from a few scares in the second half, Morrison, Cort and Dervite looked comfortable in their roles.

Thought Bradley Pritchard was immense. He looked like a player who now knows he belongs at Championship level. Indeed, I felt we handled Leicester much better than we did twelve months ago and could easily have scored more goals - on the basis of the game this afternoon our experience last season will be a real plus over the next 42 games.

I know Dale Stephens isn't everybody's cup of tea, but I thought he looked very good in the first half today. Great delivery for Morrison's goal. Shame he seems to switch off now and again. When Stephens went off, Gower looked very accomplished.

Church worked his socks off as did Kermorgant. It was good to see both Cousins and Pigott get on.

All in all a very encouraging afternoon. I''d say we are in better shape than we were this time last season.

• Options
    Couldn't be there sadly. Humungous result. Well done the lads.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why do all tables have us as having conceded 8 and in 18th place? I'm sure we've only conceded 6 and should therefore be 17th?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    What a sizzler in the sunshine. Read some rubbish about Pritchard on here recently, top marks for him today. He covered every blade of grass and was my mom. Equally Hamer provoked some absolute tosh comments Tuesday night. His two saves in the first half were crucial today. Lots of humble pie being munched this evening by some I hope.
    What about that save by Schmeichel from Yann's bullet header. Header and save absolutely top drawer.
  • Options
    we played so well, everyone is happy. we need 16 more wins and we will be safe
  • Options
    Well done lads, great team performance. New formation looked good today, worked well, not sure it will against all team in this league, but I am sure SCP knows this better than me. We had only Casper Schmichael between us and a big win today. More than happy to say he was MOTM. For Charlton? Yann, Pritchard , Wilson , church, he gave pritch and yann a run for their money in the constant motion steaks. All round I am a happy Addict tonight.
  • Options
    Thats right we are 17th as we are minus 1!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    The only gutting thing

Palace on telly (in the premiership)

And winning
  • Options

Reams suggesting on Into The Valley that Solly signed long term contract today. If true, today will be even sweeter!

So pleased to read this, a bloke behind me today at the Valley was adamant Solly was signing for West Ham on Monday - done deal!!!

Really enjoyed the game today, thought Church ran his nads off and all our boys looked sharp. Mom has to be the Leicester keeper. Kept out Yan, JJ and Stephens with quality stops.

• Options
    Great entertainment and even better result.

A deserved win even without the sending off. Just see the highlights and stephens I think has a little tug on James' shoulder as he is running in hence the complaint.

Would have been 4 or 5 without some wonder saves from schmiechel and poor finishes from jacko and Church.

We were well in control 1st half. They had a few good chances either side of the sending off but after that we coped well.

Shame neither Church of Kermo have real pace as we needed an out ball but both ran themselves into the ground.

Who needs chris solly : - )

3 - 5 - 2 suited us and powell made subs when we were winning so nothing for the moaners to complain about.

Jackson and Stephens under pressure from Gower and Cousins. That game was set up for Dale to dominate but he didn't. JJ looked slow or unfit. Pritchard everywhere. Cort and Morrison solid. We dominated in the air at both ends.

Best and worst of Hamer. Great save at 1 - 0 but came and got nowhere near early on and allowed a forward to close him down.

MOTM goes to Yann. Winning goal and played CM, CH and CF at various times.

LLLBH
  • Options
    What a difference a win makes
  • Options
    Battling performance - team worked their socks off. Kermy MOTM for me.
    Great attitude today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A lot of good performances in the side today, and Schmeichel made 3 or 4 fantastic saves.

Has to be said I thought Leicester actually played better with 10 men - I think they felt they had nothing to lose.

Signs of the players who have struggled getting better, and Pritchard more than proved his worth in the middle.

Stood up to the battle in midfield and still had two up front and the threat that brings. Perhaps too early to say that 3-5-2 is the definitive answer, but for now I am just going to sit back and enjoy the win.
  • Options
    Leicester fans just love Yann !!!
  • Options
    Another candidate for MOTM today. The home support. Almost non stop noise. Well done everyone we played our part.
  • Options
    just by having a look at the Leicester forum you'd think Kermorgant is worse than Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot and others hehehe
  • Options

What a difference a win makes

Not half, who needs Solly ;-)
  • Options
    Brilliant. That's why we go to football.
  • Options
    Vast improvement on what I have seen so far this season.

However, I am still a little concerned by our defensive play. Even with 10 men Leicester turned us round several times and we were stretched a little too often for my liking. I think a team coming with quality wide men will cause that formation big problems, having said that, with the players we have a available we need to flood the central midfield.

Credit to Pearson for keeping two up top and trying to get a result after the sending off.

The save from Kasper in the second half was right out of the top drawer.

Positives - Pritchard (MOM), Yann - who looked back at it today and Wiggins seemed back to his old self.

Worries - Jackson still looks miles off the pace and we continue to look unsettled at the back. So pleased that we held on though as if we hadn;t taken 3 points from that it would have shattered any remaining confidence.
  • Options
    Excellent performance - not seen us play little triangles like that in years. Brilliant subs at the end - all played their part in calming that game down. Great passing from Gower.

Wonder why no Sordell? (Although though Piggot did very well indeed)
  • Options
    Pritchard - our best midfielder. FACT. Absolutely lung bursting awesome today.

A midfield three of Pritchard, Cousins and Hughes away from home would be hard to break through I think.