Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Leicester post-match news & views 2013

Comments

• Options
    Right, lets nip this stupid conspiracy theory stuff in the bud. The reason why RRR was quieter than normal yesterday and the match before was that we only have the MP3 version at the moment whilst we await Glovepup's return from the various weddings he's been at since the start of the season, he has my CD version and the muppet didn't leave it behind. He's back for the Millwall game. That's it end of, no more to say.
  • Options
    Great game! Too many players to mention had a wonderful game but Pritch, Yann and Church deserve a special mention for their roles. Really enjoyed that and can't wait until the transfer deadline closes! Please let us keep them all. Lovely to see such fantastic parts played by Jordan and Joe.
    Was Solly injured or is that a euphemism?
  • Options
    cafc-west said:

Didn't notice Solly run onto the pitch yesterday! http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/287719/report

The Valley looks a lovely shade of blue there too.

• Options
    Solly was in the Lower West
  • Options
    BDL said:

Right, lets nip this stupid conspiracy theory stuff in the bud. The reason why RRR was quieter than normal yesterday and the match before was that we only have the MP3 version at the moment whilst we await Glovepup's return from the various weddings he's been at since the start of the season, he has my CD version and the muppet didn't leave it behind. He's back for the Millwall game. That's it end of, no more to say.

I never thought I would see the day when Alice In Chains was played at The Valley - which was bloody brilliant!
  • Options
    Great to hear Led Zep too - touch! As the youngsters say (I think).
  • Options
    Pritch was superb all game, even in injury time he was chasing the ball down in the NE corner and 20 seconds later clearing in the defence. Think it was also Stephens best game for a while.
  • Options
    BDL said:

Sad is the day when even BDL is go to by MS & TJ ;-)
  • Options
    cafc-west said:

Didn't notice Solly run onto the pitch yesterday! http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/287719/report

That's sloppy. Not even the same kit.
  • Options
    Great game great day out great team effort great result and I called it at the bookies.
    Pritch MOM Yann and Church joint runner up!
    Again I thought Hamer looked dodgy at corners and crosses but made up for it with a couple if very good saves
    Great to see The Pigg get a few minutes and he did well holding it up!
    For me Wilson looks out of his depth at Champ level but gave it his all! Wiggins improved over the last few weeks as well.
    Final plaudit to Powell for going 3-5-2
    Very brave decision and it paid off Nugent hardly got a look in!
    Well happy!
    When I was young...............!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Greenie said:

When I was young...............!

The song comes across very well ...nice and loud
  • Options

I love this quote off the Leicester forum

- Charlton is a shithole with a shit team with shit fans and shit players, who were shit today.

Clearly Leicester is a rural heaven!!
  • Options
    Wasn't at Huddy, but 3-5-2 was a winner yesterday.
    Pritch relished playing in the middle; Stevo was a different player with the extra man around and having Jacko back is a major plus for us.
    The best thing you can say about Wilson is Solly wasn't missed and what a joy to see Wiggins getting forward again.
    Church's runs give us so many options and possibilities and Yann was immense as ever.
    The three at the back were comfortable bringing the ball out and gave us the extra big man at set pieces, and how productive that proved.
    Good cameo from young Cousins and he looks a real prospect - always available for the pass and good on the ball.
    Harriott will benefit from being out of the firing line occasionally, he is still raw.
    System might not be so effective against a team who park the bus - but hey, I really enjoyed that game yesterday, which has been kinda rare at home in the last season and a bit.
  • Options
    didn't see the game but the consensus is that the 3 5 2 formation was a success .. I am surprised. If this line up is a partial cure for our midfield weakness, then stick by it. How was Stephens? .. he really is so inconsistent .. does a five man midfield suit him better than a four ?
  • Options
    BDL said:

Keep your hair on, BDL !!

I've sung along to whatever version's been played

• Options
    decided to change our routine in order to chnage luck. Went to RO pre game nahhhhhhh, Got a program first time in years,had a bet on result---2v 1 to us !!!!
    Formatiom woorked.
    Team had spitir---the body language from CP all the way through looked better.
    Church and Pritchard covered some miles---never stopped running.
    Schmichaels save from Yanns header is as good a save as i have ever seen.
    Liked Piggot flattening that lump of a centre back.
    Think it will still be a bumpy old season but we have a plan
  • Options

Firstly: that humble pie is going down well re Hamer's saves.

that out of the way - I'll echo Pritch being MOTM & Schmiechel's save being one of the best I've seen.

however, I think we got out of jail today & don't agree with CP's subs. I'm not going to waste my breath on here as I'll only get shot down, but being 2-0 at home against 10 men should mean you get a comfortable end to a game.........but not at CAFC, we have to make it hard on ourselves.

anyway - 3 points is 3 points. just another 50-odd to go.

Seriously Golfy, how cna you moan about the subs, Jordan Cousins came on and found space in the middle of the park, created passing opportunities and brought the wing backs into play, and as for Joe Piggott he was effective immediately in his hold up play, was completely comfortable against Leicester's back line and almost scored... all within 6 minutes of being on the pitch. solid substitutions and deserve their places in the squad
  • Options
    madadd said:

that out of the way - I'll echo Pritch being MOTM & Schmiechel's save being one of the best I've seen.

however, I think we got out of jail today & don't agree with CP's subs. I'm not going to waste my breath on here as I'll only get shot down, but being 2-0 at home against 10 men should mean you get a comfortable end to a game.........but not at CAFC, we have to make it hard on ourselves.

Seriously Golfy, how cna you moan about the subs, Jordan Cousins came on and found space in the middle of the park, created passing opportunities and brought the wing backs into play, and as for Joe Piggott he was effective immediately in his hold up play, was completely comfortable against Leicester's back line and almost scored... all within 6 minutes of being on the pitch. solid substitutions and deserve their places in the squad
    Don't hold your breath on that one, I'm still waiting for him to explain the "got out of jail" comment. Which he won't, of course, because there is no explanation other than the fact he is a miserable fucker!
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited September 2013
    Great performance. The players were definitely up for the fight and the formation of 352 helped them. Not often you see x2 352 formations and it was interesting to see that played. It shows that when in the right formation, that the players are definitely up for the fight, which is reassuring to see. I would like to see how 352 stacks up against 442, 4231, or 451. The formation does ask a lot of the wing backs. Wilson seems made for that position. WIggins improved as he went along.

Not sure how 352 would play against a team with decent wingers. Schulp, yesterday looked really lightweight, maybe CP knows how to play him but he didn't look up to much. Whatever formation it is, I think we need to have 3 in centre midfield. Stephens had a good game and benefited from playing alongside Pritchard and Jackson. Charlton look much better when Jackson is on the pitch.

Pritchard was brilliant in centre midfield, KMG played the link striker / midfield role perfectly. Morrisson passed and did not hoof. Glad CP did not drop him for this game. Dervitte was quietly solid. He maintained his position perfectly, and I only saw him out of position for a brief moment and he quickly got himself back in position. Church is quick and showed signs of forming a good partnership with KMG.

Well timed substitutions from CP. Gower and Harriots steadied the ship. Piggott looks like a real gem. Great hold up play and doesn't waste possession.

• Options
    vffvff
    edited September 2013
    The Kids day was great as well. Some of the half time penalties were better than the ones taken by that Chelsea striker who missed in the Super cup !

What with Cousins and Piggott, and the positive notes in this weeks and last weeks program regarding the youth set up. The future strength of our club is with the youth set up and that is one thing that is going well.

All in all, a great day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ha ha Off it I missed the 'Got out of Jail' comment... re this comment, to be honest, having missed first 2 home games - thank God- I went to the game yesterday with a view that anything other than a loss against Leicester was going to be an amazing result and I came away feeling reasonably good, when we got over the same old initial 'play it long every chance we get' and settled down to a pass and move game we looked more than credible as a side, I thought it was a decent entertaining game, the red card was justified, as were the other cards and I thoroughly enjoyed it
  • Options

didn't see the game but the consensus is that the 3 5 2 formation was a success .. I am surprised. If this line up is a partial cure for our midfield weakness, then stick by it. How was Stephens? .. he really is so inconsistent .. does a five man midfield suit him better than a four ?

I think so. Having a leader in Jackson and a hardworker in Pritchard either side is only going to help a player like him. Thought it was his best league game for us in a long, long while.

• Options
    BDL said:

Thanks for clearing this up BDL. Though in truth the explanation is a little worrying. The club doesn't have it's own CD of The Red Red Robin!!! What happened, did the powers that be not think it would be needed, or was it sold on ebay to raise the money for an iTunes download version?
  • Options
    Wonderful team performance yesterday and Kermogant would have had a hat-trick if it hadn't had been for Schmeichel. Hamer should also be given credit for making two very good saves. Moment that summed it up for me was when Pritchard got in front of a marauding hevalump to head the ball back to Hamer having been up the other end of the pitch seconds earlier.

Don't know who picked the pre-match music - When the going get's tough and Things can only get better - but I think they are trying to tell us something about the team spirit.
  • Options
    I wouldn't draw any conclusions about a player based on a six-minute cameo. Piggott fluffed a very good chance. A more athletic and experienced striker - Hales, say, or Kermorgant - would have buried it.

• Options
    I am on holiday in the Pelopponese in Greece and this result made it even better whilst going to the beach this morning! I might even have a few amstels to celebrate. Brilliant result for us and it should kick start our season now............!!
  • Options
    VF - sorry not having that. Pigott is very much our future. That chance, he was intelligent enough to know that there was no chance of scoring if he headed it. Some would have tried it to look good. Instead he brought it down on his chest and got a shot off under pressure. Slightly scuffed and partially blocked, I grant you, but it was on target.

He will go far and I just hope it is with us.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Off_it said:

madadd said:

Don't hold your breath on that one, I'm still waiting for him to explain the "got out of jail" comment. Which he won't, of course, because there is no explanation other than the fact he is a miserable fucker!
    sorry, but some of us have other things to do than to be on here all day & night.

I just thought we played into their hand yesterday. We were 2-0 up playing against 10 men and Leicester decided they were going to go for it, I felt we should have brought on Harriott & Cousins so we had some speed on the counter attack - taking the game the them. I wasn't alone with this & i'm sure many of you on here were thinking "wtf are we doing" when we kept conceding possession and letting them run through us. Hindsight is a wonderful thing & you can now sit smugly & say "but they didn't & we won, whats you're problem" but on another occasion we would have lost that 3-2 - remember Blackburn last season !!!! (or whoever it was that we let 2 against in the dying mins)
  • Options
    Have to agree with Bolloxbolder here - only a short cameo, but Pigott looked the real deal to me and I hope he will develop into a key player for us.
  • Options
    Blackburn last season Golfie? 1-1 draw or have I missed something?