Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Leicester post-match news & views 2013

Comments

• Options
    Well done CP and the boys. Good performance all round, liking this 3-5-2 formation at the minute.
  • Options

Great entertainment and even better result.

A deserved win even without the sending off. Just see the highlights and stephens I think has a little tug on James' shoulder as he is running in hence the complaint.

Would have been 4 or 5 without some wonder saves from schmiechel and poor finishes from jacko and Church.

We were well in control 1st half. They had a few good chances either side of the sending off but after that we coped well.

Shame neither Church of Kermo have real pace as we needed an out ball but both ran themselves into the ground.

Who needs chris solly : - )

3 - 5 - 2 suited us and powell made subs when we were winning so nothing for the moaners to complain about.

Jackson and Stephens under pressure from Gower and Cousins. That game was set up for Dale to dominate but he didn't. JJ looked slow or unfit. Pritchard everywhere. Cort and Morrison solid. We dominated in the air at both ends.

Best and worst of Hamer. Great save at 1 - 0 but came and got nowhere near early on and allowed a forward to close him down.

MOTM goes to Yann. Winning goal and played CM, CH and CF at various times.

LLLBH

Haha I was thinking on the way back to Brighton what pace Church had!!!!!!

Thought we were great today and, to be fair, LCFC contributed to as good a game at The Valley I have seen for a long time.

Well played Charlton

• Options
    A great day! loved to see Yann stuff them yet again!

Only gripe was the defensive role that was allocated to Cousins when it was obvious that Pritchard, our star, was tiring towards the end, would have thought it apt to swap these two and also in the last ten mins our midfield were suckered into the defence thus making it impossible to pass out from the back and route one to Church was the solution... Felt we could get a third in the dying minutes...

Anyway I enjoyed the game as I was dreading it on the walk up! :-)
  • Options
    Great win. Great 2nd half performance. Schmeichel was awesome for them, but Yann & Pritch were for us.
  • Options
    Great win. Could and should have been more comfortable than it was, but I'll take it.

Thought Pritch had a good game and that both wing backs did their jobs well. Church ran his nuts off and Hamer pulled off a couple of good saves when he needed to.

All good. But a special mention to Powell who got the tactics and formation absolutely spot on. Not bad for a clueless clown with no plan B!
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Great win. Could and should have been more comfortable than it was, but I'll take it.

Thought Pritch had a good game and that both wing backs did their jobs well. Church ran his nuts off and Hamer pulled off a couple of good saves when he needed to.

All good. But a special mention to Powell who got the tactics and formation absolutely spot on. Not bad for a clueless clown with no plan B!

Yes. Hats off to Powell, who got the team, tactics and substitutions spot on.

Loved his response to the crowd at the end too.
  • Options
    Thought Wilson did well, put in some good crosses and made some important tackles if Solly is off and Wilson plays like he did today it would soften the blow imo
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Well done to everyone today. Players, managers, fans and the referee.

Special mention for Pigott, who managed to show in his short cameo just what he's all about to those who haven't had the pleasure of watching him in CAFC shirt before.

Only gripe was the defensive role that was allocated to Cousins when it was obvious that Pritchard, our star, was tiring towards the end, would have thought it apt

Politely disagree with this. Pritchard could still be running out there now at quarter to nine. Did you catch him running one end of the pitch to the other to get ahead of Leicester's no.10 and calmly head back into Hamer's arms? If he hadn't have made that run, it was almost certainly 2-2.

Jacko and Stephens were blowing much much harder than Pritchard. Gower for Stephens was a straight swap and with two players doing the donkey work around him, Gower was able to spray balls left and right to Wiggins and Wilson.

Think Powell got the subs spot on.
  • Options
    not a wilson fan but hard to see how he could be moaned about on todays showing held the ball up well and played some usefull balls. church is a real livewire and looks as if hes going to cause defefnces a lot of problems.scheimcal mom for me top class saves.
  • Options

Some atmosphere from the game today (someone posted on twitter, maybe some one from here!) http://audioboo.fm/boos/1576018-charlton-vs-leicester#t=0m37s

Anyone know the lyrics to that song, lasting most of the audio?

Yeh brilliant atmosphere today, what are the lyrics to that song that got the rounds a lot today? is it similar to the one i heard earlier in the palace game?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Everyone has said it all - and it's great when most of us are finally in agreement !!

Posted after Tues evening's game that the revised formation suited us and that the lads in general were looking almost back to their old selves. This continued today with knobs on.

Pritch was my MOTM with Churchy a close second. And as others have rightly stated, Wiggy looked stronger and for me, Dale was superb. If he could always play to that high standard we'd do well to hang on to him.

With a fit Chris S back in the squad, things can only get better.

Applauded the respect that SCP showed for his old team & their fans by not over doing his celebration at the end. As if we'd expect anything less.

As for Leicester....

Can we play you every week ?

Keep the faith !
  • Options
    Firstly: that humble pie is going down well re Hamer's saves.

that out of the way - I'll echo Pritch being MOTM & Schmiechel's save being one of the best I've seen.

however, I think we got out of jail today & don't agree with CP's subs. I'm not going to waste my breath on here as I'll only get shot down, but being 2-0 at home against 10 men should mean you get a comfortable end to a game.........but not at CAFC, we have to make it hard on ourselves.

anyway - 3 points is 3 points. just another 50-odd to go.

• Options
    Addick90 said:

Some atmosphere from the game today (someone posted on twitter, maybe some one from here!) http://audioboo.fm/boos/1576018-charlton-vs-leicester#t=0m37s

Anyone know the lyrics to that song, lasting most of the audio?

Yeh brilliant atmosphere today, what are the lyrics to that song that got the rounds a lot today? is it similar to the one i heard earlier in the palace game?
    That's the Leicester fans singing that palace song
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Would have been very comfortable if it wasn't for their keeper. One amusing fact is that Kermogant played 20 games for them and scored 1 goal and missed a massively important penalty. He has since played 3 games against them and scored what has proven to be the winner in every one!!!! I think it is a place he should steer well clear of - except when we play them when he can grab some more LOL Fortunately, no loss steering clear of Leicester.
  • Options
    oh okay, thought i had heard it today at some point. Our one sounded similar, but much better anyways, what are the words in it?
  • Options
    Enjoyed that, relieved to get our first league win of the season.

The 3-5-2 worked well, thought it was a good team performance, not sure why some thought Wilson was poor. Nice to see us pass the ball well and when needed ,patiently, particularly in the first half. Not sure 3-5-2 would be right against teams like Boro with two pacey attacking wingers on either side, but it looked a good option for us. There's not a magic formation that will work every game, but after today I expect we'll continue with it and see how it does. Gives us a threat up front with 2 strikers and the midfield is stronger with the extra man in there. Morrison also looks comfortable on the right side of the three man defence, as does Cort in the centre.

Morrison looked like the player he can be, a good defender at this level. Same with Yann and Wiggins, looked more like the players we know they are.

Pritchard showed he is clearly a Championship player, as he did in plenty of games last season. Might not be the type some want to see, but he's a key player for us and not as poor technically as some insist he is.

Jackson seems to make a difference, even if his performance doesn't stand out. Did well enough, good corners and nearly scored. Stephens closer to his best, still seems to lose concentration or make bad decisions every so often, but he had a good game.

Church did well enough even though he didn't score. Not the "proven 20 goal striker" we were never going to sign, but he should do well for us. Different to Yann, not lightening quick but mobile enough, will run in behind, out wide and link up with teammates. A Championship player and one Powell might get the best out of.

Pleased to both Cousins and Pigott come on. First saw Cousins 4 years ago as a 15 year old, playing on Sky for England in the Victory Shield. Was obvious he was a good defender and intelligent player then. After no youngsters made the bench in the last game of the season I thought it looked like he might not get a chance with us. In three home games now he's come off the bench and made an impact going forward - nearly scored but for one of a few good saves from Schmeichel. Great to see, I hadn't really seen that side of his game in the odd games I've seen him play in the last few years.

Pigott did well, his height means he challenges in the air, and he did well holding up the ball. Think he's done enough to stop Powell looking at bringing in another striker ahead of him.

Shame we haven't got another game for two weeks.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    You can see Cousins is going to be some player. Him, Harriot, Piggot and some good uns still coming through - very nice!
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23915219
    What an uninspiring man Pearson is. Clearly reporter watched a different game to Pearson. Ungracious in defeat, lucky to hold his job after last season. Allez les Rouges.
  • Options
    TBH I wouldn't have been happy with the sending off but having said that, the player was stupid and Deadman is a card happy chappy. I honestly think we would have beaten them with 11 anyway.

They are a good team though - just didn't show it enough today.
  • Options
    I felt proud of the boys today - nice when it all clicks. Lets hope the week off doesn't put us back!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2013
    He only chipped for a laugh.....

Pulsating match , best i've enjoyed at the Valley for a long time , a real team effort, so many of today's players could be man of the match , best performance of the season in the league for me this season by a mile.

Its good to know Michael Morrison is an avid reader of Charlton Life :-0 glad he took my advice about scoring more from corners, c'mon Mikey i'm after about 5 or 6 this season , you too Big Leon.
  • Options
    The team was great today, showed real spirit & grafted like their lives depended on it. Pritchard was not good, he was fantastic, well done Charlton & well done Chris Powell.
  • Options
    Terrific game.

Excellent team selection and excellent game plan by CP. Leicester have used the 5-3-2 to 3-5-2 system previously, so we matched up one-against-one in midfield (which we should have done v Middlesbrough). CP has shown courage to change the system do early in the season. The result was a vastly improved defensive performance in midfield, helped by a Back Three pushing up to condense the space in front.

An Excellent hard working team performance, with plenty of fight, which was good to see and an indication of excellent team spirit, with a desire to play for the manager.

Leicester got behind or around the Back Three a few times. Hamer made two excellent saves from Nugent. But its only the first league match using this system and it will take a few more games to refine it. Watford use the same 3-5-2 system, so it will obviously stay for at least another game. It will be interesting to see how it works against a team insisting onkissing a 4-4-2.

Pritchard has to play Central Midfield, he ain't a right midfielder. Kermit has to play with a partner, not in a 4-5-1. Church ran his nuts off in support and stretched the defence to create space for Kermit to operate.

CP's substitutions were excellent. Gower and Cousins did the job in the last 15 mins.

Only had one look at it up until now, but a nice corner routine on the first goal. Pritchard ran across the defender in the near post area and pulled him away, threatening a short corner. Stephens then drove a cross into the vacant space just beyond the near post and Morrison timed his run really well to meet it. I believe Alex Dyer looks after the set plays, if that's the case, full credit to him for coming up with a subtle routine. Looking forward to seeing it again on the box.

A valuable three points.
  • Options
    Well done the reds - very glad I missed last week and was there this week. :-)
  • Options
    On a negative note anyone concerned at the state of the pitch? I know it was waterlogged a week ago but it looked like it hadn't recovered completely, worried what it's going to be like when winter comes
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I was noticing Pritchard here there and everywhere and thought it would be worth watching just him for 5 minutes. Try it - whatever you think of him, it will go up a few notches. A terrific asset - best player at what he does in the division by a country mile - this is the formation for him to shine in too.
  • Options

Firstly: that humble pie is going down well re Hamer's saves.

that out of the way - I'll echo Pritch being MOTM & Schmiechel's save being one of the best I've seen.

however, I think we got out of jail today & don't agree with CP's subs. I'm not going to waste my breath on here as I'll only get shot down, but being 2-0 at home against 10 men should mean you get a comfortable end to a game.........but not at CAFC, we have to make it hard on ourselves.

anyway - 3 points is 3 points. just another 50-odd to go.

Go on them, I'll bite.

In what way did we "get out of jail" today? At what point were we in jail?

I seem to recall us being pretty comfortable up until the hour mark.
  • Options

On a negative note anyone concerned at the state of the pitch? I know it was waterlogged a week ago but it looked like it hadn't recovered completely, worried what it's going to be like when winter comes

I know what you mean, though I think the flood that it took really damaged it, but we wont get rain that bad most of winter, plus its got, what, three weeks until the next home game? its a LOT better than last season so thats good i guess

• Options
    Just got in, not read other posts - Great 3 ponts, Morro more confidant, Wiggins getting back to best - Cort does what he does, very well - Wilson played well, Pritch, brilliant. Church, brilliant - how keeper saved Kermys attempt looking forward to seeing later. We were quiet - too tense, can't wait for Watford COYR
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Yipp Yapp Yann made sure it was case of 'Silence S'il Vous Plait' for the Leicester fans. Back to his very best today.