Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Leicester post-match news & views 2013

Comments

• Options
    BDL said:

Right, lets nip this stupid conspiracy theory stuff in the bud. The reason why RRR was quieter than normal yesterday and the match before was that we only have the MP3 version at the moment whilst we await Glovepup's return from the various weddings he's been at since the start of the season, he has my CD version and the muppet didn't leave it behind. He's back for the Millwall game. That's it end of, no more to say.

Great to hear it will return.
    On the general choice of music it is tricky because one doesn't want to impose a personal favourite on others who have different tastes.
    However, since Sunderland discovered the power of the Prokoviev (?), and we have the 'dramatic' build up with the film just before RRR, I would seriously like to suggest the first minute of Led Zeppelins 'When the levee breaks' up to the vocals. The drum part is one of the most sampled bits of stuff by modern youngsters who like rap n'ting or whatever it is called, and the piece has a really powerful and dramatic feel. It is only oneminute long, and I hope BDL you will check it out now you have broken your Zeppelin cherry as it were (sorry Henry). It might fit in well just before the film, or the second half, would have been perfect for the Donny game if you listen to the opening words 'If it keeps on raining'. Please check it out,only a minute long.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Off_it said:

madadd said:

Firstly: that humble pie is going down well re Hamer's saves.

that out of the way - I'll echo Pritch being MOTM & Schmiechel's save being one of the best I've seen.

however, I think we got out of jail today & don't agree with CP's subs. I'm not going to waste my breath on here as I'll only get shot down, but being 2-0 at home against 10 men should mean you get a comfortable end to a game.........but not at CAFC, we have to make it hard on ourselves.

anyway - 3 points is 3 points. just another 50-odd to go.

Seriously Golfy, how cna you moan about the subs, Jordan Cousins came on and found space in the middle of the park, created passing opportunities and brought the wing backs into play, and as for Joe Piggott he was effective immediately in his hold up play, was completely comfortable against Leicester's back line and almost scored... all within 6 minutes of being on the pitch. solid substitutions and deserve their places in the squad
    Don't hold your breath on that one, I'm still waiting for him to explain the "got out of jail" comment. Which he won't, of course, because there is no explanation other than the fact he is a miserable fucker!
    sorry, but some of us have other things to do than to be on here all day & night.

I just thought we played into their hand yesterday. We were 2-0 up playing against 10 men and Leicester decided they were going to go for it, I felt we should have brought on Harriott & Cousins so we had some speed on the counter attack - taking the game the them. I wasn't alone with this & i'm sure many of you on here were thinking "wtf are we doing" when we kept conceding possession and letting them run through us. Hindsight is a wonderful thing & you can now sit smugly & say "but they didn't & we won, whats you're problem" but on another occasion we would have lost that 3-2 - remember Blackburn last season !!!!
    So, when were we "in jail" to have to get out then?

Leicester visibly upped their game after the sending off, it happens. We had plenty of chances to have sealed it but didn't take them. Again, it happens.

"On another day" we may have lost, or equally we may have won more comfortably. B ut you only ever see it one way.

As you say, hindsight is a wonderful thing. Maybe you should use it more often before posting up your misery.
  • Options

Off_it said:

madadd said:

that out of the way - I'll echo Pritch being MOTM & Schmiechel's save being one of the best I've seen.

however, I think we got out of jail today & don't agree with CP's subs. I'm not going to waste my breath on here as I'll only get shot down, but being 2-0 at home against 10 men should mean you get a comfortable end to a game.........but not at CAFC, we have to make it hard on ourselves.

Seriously Golfy, how cna you moan about the subs, Jordan Cousins came on and found space in the middle of the park, created passing opportunities and brought the wing backs into play, and as for Joe Piggott he was effective immediately in his hold up play, was completely comfortable against Leicester's back line and almost scored... all within 6 minutes of being on the pitch. solid substitutions and deserve their places in the squad
    Don't hold your breath on that one, I'm still waiting for him to explain the "got out of jail" comment. Which he won't, of course, because there is no explanation other than the fact he is a miserable fucker!
    sorry, but some of us have other things to do than to be on here all day & night.

I just thought we played into their hand yesterday. We were 2-0 up playing against 10 men and Leicester decided they were going to go for it, I felt we should have brought on Harriott & Cousins so we had some speed on the counter attack - taking the game the them. I wasn't alone with this & i'm sure many of you on here were thinking "wtf are we doing" when we kept conceding possession and letting them run through us. Hindsight is a wonderful thing & you can now sit smugly & say "but they didn't & we won, whats you're problem" but on another occasion we would have lost that 3-2 - remember Blackburn last season !!!!
    The Draw at the Valley or the win at Ewood Park? ;)
  • Options
    Of course you can't judge Pigott based on yesterday but to compare him to experienced players is unfair because he isn't. When he was on the pitch he was immediately involved and effective. Looked better in those short minutes than the much vaunted Wood who came on for Leicester and looked anonymous. Sometimes inexperience and good attitude is a better weapon than experience and poor attitude. Worthy of palace in squad and bench from the little I have seen.
  • Options
    Sheffield wednesday he means.
  • Options
    Stig said:

BDL said:

Right, lets nip this stupid conspiracy theory stuff in the bud. The reason why RRR was quieter than normal yesterday and the match before was that we only have the MP3 version at the moment whilst we await Glovepup's return from the various weddings he's been at since the start of the season, he has my CD version and the muppet didn't leave it behind. He's back for the Millwall game. That's it end of, no more to say.

Thanks for clearing this up BDL. Though in truth the explanation is a little worrying. The club doesn't have it's own CD of The Red Red Robin!!! What happened, did the powers that be not think it would be needed, or was it sold on ebay to raise the money for an iTunes download version?
    It was my copy and Glovepup inherited it when I went pitch side. I've other copies of it on CD but thought that I'd taken it to the ground yesterday only to discover I'd left it in another wallet.

Seth, I broke my Led Zep cherry at the Valley back in the early 90's when I got Robert Plant to sign my CD case cover of the Remasters album. I used to play Led Zep, ACDC, Rush, Quo, Floyd all the time.

Steve Clack was in charge of music yesterday so you can thank him, moan at him, sponsor him via twitter @cafcgadget

I say sponsor as he is riding from London to Paris from Thursday raising funds for the Royal British Legion.

http://sccyclingblog.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Off_it said:

madadd said:

I just thought we played into their hand yesterday. We were 2-0 up playing against 10 men and Leicester decided they were going to go for it, I felt we should have brought on Harriott & Cousins so we had some speed on the counter attack - taking the game the them. I wasn't alone with this & i'm sure many of you on here were thinking "wtf are we doing" when we kept conceding possession and letting them run through us. Hindsight is a wonderful thing & you can now sit smugly & say "but they didn't & we won, whats you're problem" but on another occasion we would have lost that 3-2 - remember Blackburn last season !!!! (or whoever it was that we let 2 against in the dying mins)
    But this doesn't make sense because after we brought the subs on, we went very close to going 3-1 up but for an excellent block by Schmeichel. And who nearly scored that goal? Jordan Cousins. One of the subs.
    By your logic this suggests Powell got the subs right.
    Also, Leicester did up their game as the game went on, but until very late on we were also threatening and had a few chances. (You may have noticed all the references to Schmeichel's 'worldy' saves.)
    True that, towards the very end, we were inviting them on and sitting deeper and deeper, but that's a different issue that's more about nerves when being so close to a hard fought win.

I don't know why you can't just enjoy and appreciate a good game.
    Frankly, it's a bit sad.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Excellent battling performance and the 3-5-2 certainly worked on this occasion.
    Stand out performers were Pritchard and Kermorgant with a special mention for Wilson, who had his best game for the club.

Darren Deadman is, and always has been, a quality ref.
    Gives what he sees and doesn't allow himself to be intimidated.
    Nigel Pearson should concentrate on his own team's shortcomings, of which there were plenty, and thank Kasper Schmeichel for saving them from a hiding.
  • Options

VF - sorry not having that. Pigott is very much our future. That chance, he was intelligent enough to know that there was no chance of scoring if he headed it. Some would have tried it to look good. Instead he brought it down on his chest and got a shot off under pressure. Slightly scuffed and partially blocked, I grant you, but it was on target.

He will go far and I just hope it is with us.

Imagine Shearer, say - or Kermorgant, who is also good at this - launching his body laterally with both feet in the air and hammering it in to the onion bag. Unlikely, of course - and spectacular, certainly. Naturally I hope Piggott does well for us.

• Options
    edited September 2013

Off_it said:

madadd said:

I just thought we played into their hand yesterday. We were 2-0 up playing against 10 men and Leicester decided they were going to go for it, I felt we should have brought on Harriott & Cousins so we had some speed on the counter attack - taking the game the them. I wasn't alone with this & i'm sure many of you on here were thinking "wtf are we doing" when we kept conceding possession and letting them run through us. Hindsight is a wonderful thing & you can now sit smugly & say "but they didn't & we won, whats you're problem" but on another occasion we would have lost that 3-2 - remember Blackburn last season !!!! (or whoever it was that we let 2 against in the dying mins)
    It was Sheffield Wednesday, and how could I forget it? I'm with you on this Golfie, and many of your other views as well - I and my friends around me had the deeply uneasy feeling yesterday that had the game gone on for another ten minutes we would have conceded again....

Of course it's all conjecture. But it's undeniable that our defence and midfield need to play with more resistance: just look at the ease with which Leicester carved us open for their goal. And I keep banging on about this, but we must rehearse some quick and attacking throw-in routines. Too often we wait for someone to come over to take it, then he dithers because no-one is running or showing; meanwhile the opposition has matched up and all momentum is lost. Look again at Donny's first goal last week: a quick throw-in to a man running fast down the line, who lobs it into the box, and bang - it's in the net. That's how to do it.

I was entertained, thrilled, and much heartened by our performance yesterday. Two of the vast improvements were in the increased tempo of play generally, and in the speed and accuracy of the crosses and corners: in the second half they were almost without exception dangerous. It shows you how much forward possession Danny Green wasted, time and time again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Cousins looks very promising and from the little I've seen of Piggott he certainly doesn't lack confidence or presence.
    We kept possession far better yesterday and I don't understand all the miserable f###ers on here who want to pick holes in the performance. There are many teams with better squads than us but yesterday the team spirit was back and that really gives the crowd a lift.
    Our players were in the faces of the Leicester players throughout the game and Church and Pritchard didn't stop running.
    I didn't think the formation would work yesterday and was more than happy to be proved wrong.
    Our fans gave excellent support!
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited September 2013
    This is for Viewfinder and CL in general. Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

http://www.mindspring.com/~mfpatton/sketch.htm

I know its all opinion. We are all surely we are happy we won and can enjoy the victory. We are Leicester's bogey team. They must hate playing us.
  • Options
    vff said:

This is for Viewfinder and CL in general. Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

http://www.mindspring.com/~mfpatton/sketch.htm

I know its all opinion. We are all surely we are happy we won and can enjoy the victory. We are Leicester's bogey team. They must hate playing us.

Ha ha ha! Absolutely brilliant, vff - I'd completely forgotten about that sketch. "I'm arguing in my spare time..."!

• Options
    Wow, I didn't expect anything out of that one. I was indeed one very happy addick last night.

The 3-5-2 formation really provided some food for thought out there, I can't remember seeing us create quite so many chances in a long time. Against good opposition too, it must be said.

For periods of the game we'd seem to launch attack after attack, with constant runs down the wings - and combined with Pritchard's energy from the centre, we had a midfield that was really capable of providing a platform to attack from. I commented at one point to my brother via text that "We seem to be shooting for fun right now".

The concern with 3-5-2 being defensive duties, was also handled well. With Wiggins and Wilson both tracking back when required, and Morrison, Dervite and Cort all playing well at the back.

Jackson appeared to be back to his finest form - and offered some lovely link-up play with Wiggins down the left. I felt Pritchard was isolated slightly in the centre at times - and had to beg for the ball, but I'm not quite sure how considering we played with 5 in the midfield..! Stephens also showed some very nice touches and also played with a sense of urgency when attacking; something I've always felt he lacked. As for Wilson? This is -his- formation, I thought he played very well.

Up front Kermogant was getting knocked around and battling on as usual. He also seems to have built up a good understanding with Church already. A few times he instinctively knocked the ball in to Church's path for Church to make a run, and if he did anything - he ran. His energy out there was very important - and something that I didn't expect so quickly given his lack of pre-season and fitness concerns of only a few weeks ago. I think we may have a gem in Church.

Even after the substitutions occurred (at a very good time too, IMO) the flow continued, and I feel that's a testament not only to the choice and timing of them, but also the individual players too. Cousins could well have put a chance a way, and against a lesser keeper I have no doubts that he would've.

Around the 80th minute some of our runs were "less disciplined", and I can think of one situation where we had the ball around 5 yards or so from there penalty box - and we seemed to lack an understanding of what to do; instead Wilson choosing to do a horizontal/sideways run whilst others got in position. This does coincide with Leicester really pushing for an equaliser though, however I'll credit Powell that there were no negative substitutions - all like-for-like right up until Pigott coming on at the 90th.

All in all, every member of the team put a real shift in today - and combined with tactics we managed to grab 3 very good points. There were a few dodgy moments in the last 10 minutes or so, and the obligatory one within the first 5.. but apart from that, I'd say we pretty much controlled the game.

Only let down by the mugs I sat next too, ripping in to Hamer in the first half for "posing" and so on - after he seemingly made a "nothing" of a mistake. I was hoping I would hear some acknowledgement of how good he was in the second half; nothing. I appreciated a chorus of the Ben Hamer song coming from behind though...!
  • Options

Of course you can't judge Pigott based on yesterday but to compare him to experienced players is unfair because he isn't. When he was on the pitch he was immediately involved and effective. Looked better in those short minutes than the much vaunted Wood who came on for Leicester and looked anonymous. Sometimes inexperience and good attitude is a better weapon than experience and poor attitude. Worthy of palace in squad and bench from the little I have seen.

Don't sell him to that mob!

He's only just made his debut for us!

:-)
  • Options
    I have been a bit critical of our coaching lately, but in my opinion we won because we worked out how to stop them playing as they wanted to. For a team that were unbeaten having won 3 out 4 they looked quite ordinary. Our work rate and togetherness were outstanding, CP is not yet a great manager as some suggest, but one day he will manage England.Get your bets on now.
  • Options
    In support of golfie i concur with some of his views, ok to be wise after the event.....

How many times in recent seasons have we seen the oppositon have a player sent off only for them to play like they have the extra man...and simular how many times do we play with 10 men and dont get the ball out of our half....forest last year showed you the way to play against 10 men and i learned it when i played for the school football team....make the pitch bigger/wider and make the opposition run/work harder....we didnt do that yesterday....great result and Nigel Pearson has to be the Alex ferguson/Arsene Wenger of this division...no class and blames everyone else bar hinself for the defeat.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    To be fair - after Leicester pulled one back - they didn't look like scoring where as we did. Possession 58% -42% in our favour - Shots on 15 to their 8, Shots off - 8 to their 5 and corners 11 to their 3. I think those stats should tell anybody who wasn't at the game all they need to know.
  • Options
    sorry Muttley you've got the stats wrong, not surprising as the bbc show them in a very ambiguous way, it was
    on target: us 8 them 5
    off target: us 7 them 3
    total shots: us 15 them 8
    anywayI think that is what they mean :)
  • Options
    Sorry - but still almost double what they did
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    On any objective view, we deserved to win that one.

We were exposed a couple of times in the second half when they ran through us but, apart from giving their guys a bit of credit ( which they deserve ), Jacko was probably flagging a bit and we got stretched.

No performance is perfect but I think that we should be very happy with that one.

On a more general level, there is also the huge bonus of young lads like Cousins and Piggott coming through. Bear in mind also that it is also ( or was) only August. One or two more to be blooded this season, I hope.

This will be a tough season but I think we will be ok.
  • Options

didn't see the game but the consensus is that the 3 5 2 formation was a success .. I am surprised. If this line up is a partial cure for our midfield weakness, then stick by it. How was Stephens? .. he really is so inconsistent .. does a five man midfield suit him better than a four ?

Based on Saturday, 3-5-2 was a complete cure not a partial cure to the "red sea" midfield crisis and suited Stephens very well who stood out as a quality midfielder. He wasn't over -run, bullied and out-numbered like he is when we play 4-4-2.
  • Options
    Blucher said:

On a more general level, there is also the huge bonus of young lads like Cousins and Piggott coming through. Bear in mind also that it is also ( or was) only August. One or two more to be blooded this season, I hope.

It is great to see, especially so early on in the season. Powell could have given Hollands another chance ahead of Cousins and not involved Pigott at all.
  • Options
    The feeling in your stomach of things about to go wrong is the sensation known as charltonitis its cured with a big set of balls and an ounce of optimisim
  • Options

The feeling in your stomach of things about to go wrong is the sensation known as charltonitis its cured with a big set of balls and an ounce of optimisim

Plus a calm and determined doctor Chris Powell...
  • Options

Plus a calm and determined doctor Chris Powell...

this is the only known cure since Saint alan of westham left
  • Options
    Out here in Florida onholiday,got approached by security staff at theme park after yelling punching the air on hearing the result. Security staff not really much the wiser!!!
  • Options

I love this quote off the Leicester forum

Having had the misfortune of setting foot in that complete sinkhole that Leicster is ,what is he talking about??? lol

- Charlton is a shithole with a shit team with shit fans and shit players, who were shit today.

• Options
    For me. it was a game of two halves. First half looked nervy and, at times, struggled to find a cutting edge. Thought Stephens put himself about well. Second half: seemed like we grew in confidence and had more belief in our ability to be creative. We looked menacing in a way I had not seen against Bournemouth, Boro or Doncaster. Looks like we have become that proverbial 'confidence' team!
  • Options
    Great win and well deserved all round. We were shaky because everyone needed the win but I think on another day without that monkey on our backs we would of gone on and won by more. Team looked strong and we have lots of potential and great for the fans that we can see a few youngster develop over the coming months. They will make some mistakes but based on the performance against a top side in Leicester I think we are more able to compete at this level.