Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Leicester post-match news & views 2013

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    This is what the Leicester fans make of it all

http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/topic/90124-charlton-post-match/
  • Options
    This win should give our season a right boost and we can kick on from here
  • Options

Hope so, could do without the break, shame they could not rearrange Donny for next weekend

• Options
    Kap10 said:

Hope so, could do without the break, shame they could not rearrange Donny for next weekend

was thinking about that .. are 'the lads' off to the Algarve for a spot of golf and light training do we know?
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

I heard this is what Doncaster wanted, but we said no

• Options

Kap10 said:

I heard this is what Doncaster wanted, but we said no

And why wouldn't we? We would have to play it without our top scorer, who has been called up for Wales...
  • Options
    My Leicester supporting mate blamed the referee but thought we were well worth the win...That's good enough for me
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

This is what the Leicester fans make of it all

http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/topic/90124-charlton-post-match/

Can't any of them write more than a sentence? (like this...)!

• Options
    edited September 2013
    from the leicester forum -

"Charlton are a big, physical direct side"

"Charlton do seem to practice corners, which perhaps we could learn from, their movement in the box was really good."

is this the same charlton we know and love?!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Very impressed with Wilson up against a tough opponent in Schlupp.
    Gave as good as he got and provided us with a lot of energy.
    Same for Pritchard , who I think is the key to us doing well in this league.
    Stephens - another who deserves a mention. All-round decent performance from him.

The attitude from our boys was spot on right from the off;
    CP had them out there well into their warm-up before Leicester emerged onto the valley pitch.
    That right through to Kermo chasing back 40-50 yards before putting a strong well timed sliding challenge in right infront of the home dugout.

Loved it, that was a proper Charlton performance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought Wilson did well mostly. Thought Stephens struggled - gave ball away too often as did Pritch. Both mafe up for it, but inconsistent. Morro quite solid despite recent scapegoat status.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    jams said:

from the leicester forum -

"Charlton are a big, physical direct side"

"Charlton do seem to practice corners, which perhaps we could learn from, their movement in the box was really good."

is this the same charlton we know and love?!

With the delivery of JJ and Stephens it is something we have been very good at for a few years. Better to my mind than most opponents I have seen. In fact I was looking at Palace v Sunderland and was thinking how much better we were than some Premiership sides in that respect. A formation that allows us to get as many big uns in opponents box for set pieces has to be good!
  • Options
    Charlton 2 City 1: Rob Tanner's match verdict

Monday, September 02, 2013

Leicester Mercury

Darren Deadman is a referee who seems to court controversy, certainly when officiating Leicester City games.

The Cambridgeshire official upset City boss Nigel Pearson at Ipswich last season when he said Wes Morgan was elbowed before making the mistake that cost his side dearly at Portman Road.

Two years ago, it was Deadman who showed Darius Vassell a red card after just 11 minutes of the opening game of the season at Coventry, the first of 14 he handed out during that campaign.

However, while Deadman is an official who seems to spark controversy wherever he goes (just google his name), City should not heap the blame on the officials for their first defeat of the season, no matter how odd some of the decisions seemed to be.

For the fifth time in seven games, City started slowly and had to fight back after going a goal behind to a soft set-piece.

They were the architects of their own downfall in many ways, although they typically produced a spirited response to going down to 10 men.

City conceded both goals from corners, ironically scored by two ex-City players, Michael Morrison and pantomime villain Yann Kermorgant, who has scored three times in three games against his former club since his infamous penalty in the play-off semi-finals at Cardiff.

City just didn't deal with the delivery of the set-pieces. Ritchie De Laet lost Morrison for the first, while Kermorgant was again given space at the far post to head home the second.

Goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel appealed for a foul in the build-up to both goals, and was booked for remonstrating after the second, but he was clutching at straws, especially with Deadman.

City's first half performance was disappointing. While they never looked in any real trouble defensively against a Charlton side looking for their first win of the season, they didn't trouble their hosts either.

City's build-up play was ponderous and predictable during a first half which was a poor spectacle for the 15,542 in The Valley, more than 2,000 of whom were wearing blue.

As usual this season, City started the second half in lively fashion and should have equalised when the impressive Jamie Vardy teed up Danny Drinkwater, but keeper Ben Hamer saved at his feet, and James picked up the rebound and appeared to be bundled over just as he teed up his shot.

Deadman wasn't interested and while James had a point that it should have been a penalty, racing towards an official with Deadman's reputation was a poor choice, especially as Deadman had booked James as early as the 12th minute for a mis-timed tackle.

The act of running towards the referee left Deadman considering it enough to dismiss James, who is the most unlikely City player to be punished for dissent. The quiet, softly-spoken and humble midfielder isn't your usual candidate for dissent. That is usually Anthony Knockaert and David Nugent's domain.

It was backs-to-the-wall time and City showed their true character after that, creating a host of chances, even after Kermorgant's header for the second.

Drinkwater reduced the arrears after more good work from Vardy and suddenly the game had gone from extremely dreary to exhilarating, none more so than when Schmeichel produced a breath-taking save to somehow palm Kermorgant's strong downward header away from virtually on the line.

Even then Deadman had to steal the moment by bizarrely awarding a corner when Simon Church's follow-up hit the post.

City were certainly aggrieved by the way the game was officiated, but they should feel a little more aggrieved that they allowed their excellent start to the season falter in The Valley.

Read more: http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/story-19739153-detail/story.html#ixzz2dlBYDhMf
    Follow us: @thisisleics on Twitter | thisisleicestershire on Facebook
  • Options
    So, no credit to us at all in that report then? We didn't win the game, the ref made mistakes and Leicester threw it away. Nice one.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

So, no credit to us at all in that report then? We didn't win the game, the ref made mistakes and Leicester threw it away. Nice one.

And Pearson starting to sound like Tony " Meldrew" Mobray ....

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Such a shame the fella who sits near us who loves to say we don't score from corners was not there. Would love to have given him some banter!!!! Still happy since saturday ( although lounging by the pool in sunny Majorca helps too ). Thought Dervite was immense ( knocking the ball into Drinkwaters path for their goal his only fault I think ). From Kermorgants clearing balls out from our area to Hamer digging out worldys I thought the whole team performed magnificently and all down to the formation that Powelly went with. It was only a matter of time before we got the 3 points on the board. Overall a superb game to be at ( even with the nerve shredding 6 mins of added time! ). Bring on the Hornets.
  • Options
    I thought it unusual for Nigel Pearson to be so ungenerous, unsporting and ungentlemanly in his post match revues, perhaps he is under more pressure. I usually listen to his post match comments, if I hear them now I'll be less inclined to believe what I hear.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Loco said:

I thought it unusual for Nigel Pearson to be so ungenerous, unsporting and ungentlemanly in his post match revues, perhaps he is under more pressure. I usually listen to his post match comments, if I hear them now I'll be less inclined to believe what I hear.

That surprised me a bit too - mainly because he and Chrissy are good mates. I suppose he was pi**ed off! Mind you, what he said about how we play wasn't too far off the mark. If it is effective as it was on Saturday, It is going to serve us well this season in teh Championship.
  • Options

Loco said:

That surprised me a bit too - mainly because he and Chrissy are good mates. I suppose he was pi**ed off! Mind you, what he said about how we play wasn't too far off the mark. If it is effective as it was on Saturday, It is going to serve us well this season in teh Championship.
    Now been charged with improper conduct

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11688/8906332/championship-leicester-manager-nigel-pearson-charged-by-fa

• Options
    Rizzo said:

Loco said:

Now been charged with improper conduct

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11688/8906332/championship-leicester-manager-nigel-pearson-charged-by-fa

Oooh that'll cheer him up! The charge is not for what he said in interview but straight afterwards to the Ref, who I thought had a good game.