Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Leicester post-match news & views 2013

Comments

• Options

What a perfect day.

Thank God we didn't even attempt 4-4-2 which meant we looked like a totally different team today. We could press all over the pitch, maintain width and it is the system to get the best out of Stephens who I thought did very well and added some much needed quality. Great move by SCP.

We made Leicester look very average in the first half but we have to admit that they were very unfortunate to go down to ten men second half and several decisions went in our favour. That double save from Schmeichel was world class.

Church looks like a typical Charlton striker, Cort was solid as a rock and I thought Wilson was well suited as a wing back. Bonus to see Piggot and Cousins do so well off the bench.

Miracles do happen after all when you have a Church in the team..
  • Options
    A much better performance, we created lots of chances, helped by Leicester's strange inability to deal with corners and crosses, if you can't deal with them in this division, you have no hope of promotion!

The only negative was that our midfield was a bit vulnerable to quick breaks, it seemed to be better once Gower and Cousins came on.
  • Options
    Church was outstanding today, how no-one else snapped him up is beyond me.
  • Options
    Not sure if anyone has heard Nigel P's post match comments or if this distortion is in anyway connected but it made me laugh, quote is from club call report.

"It turned out to be crucial as Morrison headed home against his former club in the 27th minute when Dale Stephens' corner was met by the giant Charlton defender who made no mistake from six yards."
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    sam3110 said:

Church was outstanding today, how no-one else snapped him up is beyond me.

We've done well with the signings and the promotions from the academy.

It's really tempting to gush about today's display and it looked far more certain than this time last year when we were a bit jammy.

Great to see Jackson back and Stephens playing decent football + Pritchard looks far sounder in the middle. I want to see how it pans out in September before I start making calls about whether this squad looks better, worse or the same as last season.

And this site is interesting for anyone wondering about chances this early:

sportsclubstats.com/England/ChampionshipLeague.html
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    3 players stood out in a good game - Kermogant and Schmeichel for them but Pritchard was truely awsome. The formation suits us - Stephens looked so much better with the extra man in the middle. Wiggins and Wilson gave us good width and apart from making us more solid defensively, I think it gave us better options with set pieces. Leicester couldn't cope with our corners! But for their keeper, who made one of the best saves you'll see for a very long time, this would have been far more emphatic a scoreline.
  • Options
    Church was immense
  • Options
    Great win and performance. Positives - pritch was awesome, as were the 3 cb's. Jacko looks miles off the pace. Would like to see cousins in there as he looks the real part.
  • Options
    Much improved performance and good to see SCP reacting to recent form with changes to both personnel and formation. Still a bit worried that we looked like the team with 10 men at times but still a superb game and if not for their keeper it could have been even better.
  • Options
    Really enjoyed today, though I was a little bit nervous in the 6 (yes, six!) minutes of additional time. As others have said a great team performance. JJ not quite fit but he really makes a difference. Pritchard was everywhere. Morro much better and Cort got so many blocks in today. thought Dervite covered well too. Hamer made a few mistakes and I couldn't see what went on with their goal, but he also seemed to grow in confidence after the near miss in the first half. Love Church's running, he doesn't stop does he? And Yann was fated to score - again. Schmeichel made several great saves from him. Leicester fans must hate him. Thought Stephens did well today too. It was lovely to see a Charlton side pass and tackle. We've still got quite a way to go I think, esp in midfield, but that was a much better performance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2013

Great win and performance. Positives - pritch was awesome, as were the 3 cb's. Jacko looks miles off the pace. Would like to see cousins in there as he looks the real part.

But his (JJs) corners were excellent.
  • Options
    Should add that I thought Leicester were good, and Schmeichel definitely their best player today. can't understand why there were so many cards, it was a committed game but not dirty. What did their no8 get sent off for?
  • Options
    Some atmosphere from the game today (someone posted on twitter, maybe some one from here!) http://audioboo.fm/boos/1576018-charlton-vs-leicester#t=0m37s

Anyone know the lyrics to that song, lasting most of the audio?
  • Options
    With three centre backs plus Kermo and Church, we are going to be a scary proposition at set pieces - we looked like we could score with every one (and did twice). Might not be pretty but in a sport of small margins, this could make a big difference over the season.
  • Options
    Great team performance. Jacko not yet up to speed and Wiggins hasn't got his full confidence to take on the full back but still made some immense tackles. If we had won by three goals it would not have been an injustice. We played some superb triangles and usually Pritchard was involved in those. I doubted he could make the step up to this level but am delighted to acknowledge I am wrong.
  • Options
    Can only echo all the positive remarks re the formation today....worked a treat. Wilson was a big worry down the right though...get solly signed up and performances like that will keep us safe
  • Options
    I don't get all off this Wilson bashing. I thought the whole team played very well today, both individually and as a team. Out of that team I thought Wilson was one of the best players, he was constantly up and down the right flank like a true wing back. He stopped his man on many occasions while still getting forward plenty of times himself, he was a big threat for us especially when they went down to 10 men. The formation and his role in it suited him perfectly.

Very pleased with the result and the performance. We won!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Heads gone a4life....watch him and you will see. He hides. I hate tht about players...as long a they try I don't mind. Wilson hides from the ball

But hey, it doesn't matter at all if solly stays and we keep winning!
  • Options
    I called for the 3-5-2 and was delighted to see how well it worked. The extra central defender seems to have restored Morro's confidence.

Shows how much Jacko brings to the side, even when he doesn't do too much.

Pritchard was amazing. Covered the whole pitch, and kept it simple.

Church is rapidly becoming my favourite player. Does not understand the phrase "lost cause"!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Davo55 said:

Trust me, Charlton always manage to confound all logic. Lose to the crap teams, win when it isn't expected. That's why I love 'em.

From the match predictions thread. Ahem, I rest my case :-)

We mustn't get carried away when we lose so equally, we shouldn't get carried away when we win. BUT FUCK IT....WHHAAAAAYYYHEEYYY!

Credit goes to the whole team today. The defence looked solid, the midfield creative and the forwards on song. Particular mentions for Pritch, who was truly fantastic, Stevo who showed a lot of class, Wilson and Wiggo who were close to their best, Church who was tireless. And what about Yann? A bit quiet first half, I thought, but awesome in the 2nd half. The bullet header and Schmichael's wonder save have already been mentioned but I thought the save in the bottom right hand corner from Yann's free kick was as good.

A very happy Davo, signing off, after a wonderful day.
  • Options
    3 wins on the bounce against our big-spending feeder club
  • Options
    Massive surprise for me. Battled so hard. Dominated the first half and there was no reason to put ourselves under so much pressure second half.

Schmeichel aside, Leicester look average and will never be going up this season.

Pritchard was immense.
  • Options
    Také it from me enjoy Jordan Cousins he is going to be top drawer, very excited.Gower great cameo the ball to Wiggins was superb. Pissed and very happy ( I know Dave Mehmet a moment to behold)
  • Options

I don't get all off this Wilson bashing. I thought the whole team played very well today, both individually and as a team. Out of that team I thought Wilson was one of the best players, he was constantly up and down the right flank like a true wing back. He stopped his man on many occasions while still getting forward plenty of times himself, he was a big threat for us especially when they went down to 10 men. The formation and his role in it suited him perfectly.

Very pleased with the result and the performance. We won!!!!!!!!!

I would agree with that - the formation required both Wiggins and Wilson to do a job and both did it very well. It wasn't spectacular, but it was effective. Surprised some didn't notice that!
  • Options
    Thought wilson done pretty well, involved all the time plenty of energy
  • Options
    Wiggins back to his best tonight
  • Options
    Even today how pissed am I
  • Options
    Thought CP was very brave today and it paid off. Was worried initially seeing Morrison at the right of a central back 3 but it all worked very fluidly. Saying that, I was amazed that Pearson didn't try something different at least after half time. But they did start to show glimpses of what they could do cutting us open 2 or 3 times early in the second half. Also helped that the ref seemed pretty trigger happy with the cards. There will probably be a lot of scrutiny on Pearson's tactics in this game. He'll be under extra scrutiny this season. But not our problem!

CP substitutions were brave too. Earlier than expected. Good to see Gower playing a more forward role than before when he came on- encouraging. Stephens had been having a good game and i actually feared we would miss him for his tackling - never imagined i would say that. Pritchard was truly everywhere. Cort was immense too, and thirsty for a goal, staying forward near the end when we seemed to attack as a means to defend- not used to seeing that. Piggot came on and showed great skill along the touchline with his first touches to kill some time.

Most of all so pleased for CP. He really seems to get the best out of our players against Leicester.
  • Options
    Thought Wilson did okay today - not sure why some are so down on him.