Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NFL Season 2013/14.

Comments

• Options
    Balls.
  • Options
    Seakhawks fan here, they're the closest team to me unfortunately. Heading down for a game in October. Always a great weekend away - love Seattle.
  • Options

Raiders will disappoint as per bloody usual.

Have faith NSS. Pryor looked good in his start today and the team looked better than the pundits had been suggesting.

Although we wont win the superbowl or qualify for the playoffs we will be nearly $70m under the salary cap next year so look for the team to improve alot next year.

If Pryor works out we will not need to draft a QB (even though some good ones come out next year) and can concentrate on a pure pass rusher such as Clowney.

If watson does well at standing in at Left tackle we will have our 2 bookends for the next 5yrs, so we can look at the Best player availablein the draft.

• Options
    Quick NFL question that I've always wondered about. Given that the team statistically ranked worst in the NFL gets first pick in the draft, if you are coming towards the end of the season and are doing badly with no chance of playoffs isn't it worth losing your last few games to ensure you get as good a pick in the drafts as possible ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Quick NFL question that I've always wondered about. Given that the team statistically ranked worst in the NFL gets first pick in the draft, if you are coming towards the end of the season and are doing badly with no chance of playoffs isn't it worth losing your last few games to ensure you get as good a pick in the drafts as possible ?

yep, it's called 'tanking' and yes, it does happen. Not just in the nfl either - its happened in the nhl too. The nhl has a draft lottery to try and overcome this - basically, just because you finish bottom of the standings, you're not guaranteed to get the first draft pick.
  • Options
    Yes nothing to stop it, but as the player who is picked first gets the largest contract, it wouldnt be the smartest move.

The draft is a lottery anyway, players ranked as cant miss coming out of college can sometimes completly tank once they get the big $$$. My team Oakland has had more than thefair share of players drafted high who have failed - this has meant we have been strapped for cash under the salary cap for years - at least next year we will have more cap money than any other club.
  • Options
    Most likely to happen when there is a pressing need in one position, and not much talent in that position coming into that years draft. even then think more of a malaise in the team rather than an out and out effort to lose games deliberately.

A_T_U - saw recently that JaMarcusRussell might be making a comeback into the pro game !!!
  • Options
    Ravens, the champs, were stuffed by Denver in the opener .. Denver look good for a title this year .. 49ers and Green Bay (despite their loss to the 49ers) look as strong as ever
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Most likely to happen when there is a pressing need in one position, and not much talent in that position coming into that years draft. even then think more of a malaise in the team rather than an out and out effort to lose games deliberately.

A_T_U - saw recently that JaMarcusRussell might be making a comeback into the pro game !!!

MOL - yeah Jawalruss lost about 65lbs and had a tryout for Chicago. They didn't take him on. Now he seems to have injured his knee and put the weight back on.

He could have been good, has all tools just not the desire. At least you can't say that about Pryor despite his college issues.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Seahawks start with a win
  • Options
    Chargers fan but not holding much hope this season
  • Options
    Another Redskins fan, watching the Giants-Cowboys game last night has done nothing to affect the confidence that they can repeat as Division champs. Just gotta hope RG3 isn't targeted because of his past injuries.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Been looking to follow an NFL team for a couple of years. Think it might help me get into it a bit more.

I feel the same but it's tough to just pick a team and feel any connection towards them. I guess as Charlton fans we probably got our team through geography or inheritance so have no real knowledge of what it's like to "choose" a team to support which makes it hard. I tend to root for teams from cities that I lenjoy visiting in the States which means I "support" the Pats and the Giants which is akin to supporting Man Utd and Liverpool !
    I needed to pick a team to get into it a bit more. still can't sit through a whole match though. anyway...

never been to america so don't have a favourite city. though i do have a thing for Detroit.... but i can't pick them because they're called the lions.

so last year on the strength of me liking the song 'Georgia on my mind', I went with the falcons. who then lost in the play - offs after being in front. same thing happened on the weekend. useless bastards.
  • Options

se9addick said:

Been looking to follow an NFL team for a couple of years. Think it might help me get into it a bit more.

I feel the same but it's tough to just pick a team and feel any connection towards them. I guess as Charlton fans we probably got our team through geography or inheritance so have no real knowledge of what it's like to "choose" a team to support which makes it hard. I tend to root for teams from cities that I lenjoy visiting in the States which means I "support" the Pats and the Giants which is akin to supporting Man Utd and Liverpool !
    I needed to pick a team to get into it a bit more. still can't sit through a whole match though. anyway...

never been to america so don't have a favourite city. though i do have a thing for Detroit.... but i can't pick them because they're called the lions.

so last year on the strength of me liking the song 'Georgia on my mind', I went with the falcons. who then lost in the play - offs after being in front. same thing happened on the weekend. useless bastards.
    I support the chiefs. What is this 'playoff' thing you talk about? Surely a season only lasts 16 games!
  • Options

Another Redskins fan, watching the Giants-Cowboys game last night has done nothing to affect the confidence that they can repeat as Division champs. Just gotta hope RG3 isn't targeted because of his past injuries.

Who won?
  • Options
    cafckev said:

Who won?

Cowboys won 36-31
  • Options
    New England Patriots fan myself although I could have a pick of a few teams in America as I have family all over the country. I was lucky to have gone to Wembley to see The Pats last year and see one of the best ever QBs in the game. I don't think we will do well this year and a play off place may all I can hope for. A period of rebuilding may be approaching.

My money is on The Denver Broncos. Peyton Manning looks awesome and has a lot of pass options to aim for.
  • Options
    Watched two games live last night in a big sports' bar in Toronto with about ten yanks. They really knew their stuff and gave me some more insight. I'm a Cowboys fan and how Romo got a $100m contract I have no idea - his decision making is shite. Luckily the Cowboys have an excellent defensive line that forced six turnovers!
  • Options
    Raiders haven't been the same since Marcus Allen, and that was 30 years ago
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Depressing getting up early to watch the chargers lose in the last 14 seconds and then drag myself off to work
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Lol - I still remember Jay Schroeder. Silver and cack have always been poor. Doesn't help that Al Davis rivalled Bill Wirtz and Marge Schott as worst owner in professional sports.
  • Options
    ...It could be worse you could be a fan of a team that has Christain Ponder as QB!!!
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with Ponder. Any QB would look poor in that division (Rodgers, Stafford, Cutler for comparison). He blows hot and cold, but the offense is so heavily weighted in favour of Peterson that it's pretty much impossible for him to work into any sort of a rhythm. I've seen him carry the team when Peterson is off-form - that's not easy when you're expected to be a clutch player without running a clutch offense most of the season.
  • Options
    Looks like i'm the only 49ers fan so far......here's to a great season
  • Options

Looks like i'm the only 49ers fan so far......here's to a great season

You 1980's glory boy you !!!!
  • Options
    Looking forward to Seahawks/49ers this week.
  • Options

Picked them as my team for obvious reasons in the late 80's as a nipper, not been much glory with either set of Lions, but they are slowly turning things around.
  • Options
    Unlike your lot, the Lions actually are on the up. Their biggest problem is that outside of Megatron, they don't really have a lot of threat - so secondaries pretty much know where Stafford is going before the play even starts. If they can get a better balance, they'll be contenders - but they're in a tough division.
  • Options
    The Eagles won their opening game. Im in shock.