Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NFL Season 2013/14.

Comments

• Options
    Okay lads done. Either of you about for the game on Saturday?
  • Options
    Washington Redskins ‏@Redskins
    Despite two fourth quarter touchdowns, the #Redskins fall to 0-2 on the season after a 20-38 loss http://redsk.in/1dgCy7j #HTTR
  • Options

Okay lads done. Either of you about for the game on Saturday?

We are
  • Options
    will be in the north upper but can meet before/after
  • Options
    Okay - we can swap mobile numbers by PM later in the week, then we'll brave Armageddon to sort out a time.
  • Options
    sounds good mate cheers
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Great end to the Vikings @ Chicago game, Minesotta 6 points up with 10 seconds left and Chicago score a touchdown.

NFL question(s) for this week. 1) does anyone ever miss the conversion (what's this called in NFL parlance) you get after a touchdown ?
    2) when determining how far the ball has travelled to decide where the play starts at the next down which part of the ball is it measured from ?

It's called an Extra Point (more correctly a 'point after touchdown' but no-one calls it that). Occasionally it's missed, but not very often. Usually when it's missed it's because of a bad snap or botched hold.

Its measured from the furthest distance the ball travelled in forward motion from the previous play. Hence only the tiniest part of the ball has to read the plane of the goal line for a touchdown, or the first down line for a first down.

• Options

se9addick said:

Great end to the Vikings @ Chicago game, Minesotta 6 points up with 10 seconds left and Chicago score a touchdown.

NFL question(s) for this week. 1) does anyone ever miss the conversion (what's this called in NFL parlance) you get after a touchdown ?
    2) when determining how far the ball has travelled to decide where the play starts at the next down which part of the ball is it measured from ?

It's called an Extra Point (more correctly a 'point after touchdown' but no-one calls it that). Occasionally it's missed, but not very often. Usually when it's missed it's because of a bad snap or botched hold.

Its measured from the furthest distance the ball travelled in forward motion from the previous play. Hence only the tiniest part of the ball has to read the plane of the goal line for a touchdown, or the first down line for a first down.

Right, so it's not like proper football where the whole ball has to be over the line.

Seems like they could do without the extra point, slows the game down but I'm sure more thought has gone into it than I've given !
  • Options
    Don't think the clock is running when the point after touchdown is kicked.
    I think.
  • Options

Don't think the clock is running when the point after touchdown is kicked.
    I think.

It's not. The clock only stops when the ball goes out of play or after a TD
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Incomplete pass.
  • Options
    Injury on the field
    TV timeout (yes, they do have those)
  • Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Right, so it's not like proper football where the whole ball has to be over the line.

Seems like they could do without the extra point, slows the game down but I'm sure more thought has gone into it than I've given !
    You can also go for a 2 point attempt rather than a 1 extra point.
  • Options
    Same as: Never really thought about it before.
    Washington Native Americans doesn't really sound right.
  • Options
    Doubt they will change the name any time soon.
    Pretty sure the Redskins and Cowboys brands regularly top the Forbes list for NFL teams.

What about the positively named team such as Kansas City Chiefs or Atlanta Braves (Baseball).
  • Options

NFLUK

NFL AT REGENT STREET

The NFL will turn London's Regent Street into a traffic-free American football block party on Saturday September 28 to mark the start of a ground-breaking month in which two International Series games will be played at Wembley Stadium.

NFL on Regent Street is a free event that will run from 12 noon to 6:00 p.m., offering shoppers and NFL fans the chance to experience the sights and sounds of the sport.

Come along and enjoy performances by the Minnesota Vikings cheerleaders and 'Skol' drumline, get your photo taken with Vince Lombardi Trophy, appearances from NFL Alumni and tuck in to some tasty American food.

For NFC fans, the highlight of the day will be the players and coaches from the Steelers and Vikings. They will be taking time out of their preparation for the next day's crucial regular-season showdown to celebrate with the fans on Regent Street, following the tradition set by the likes of Tom Brady, Bill Belichick, Rob Gronkowski and Sam Bradford at the NFL's annual Fan Rally at Trafalgar Square in previous years.
  • Options
    http://www.nfluk.com/tv-audio/schedule

Lions at Washington game, 6pm Sunday.
  • Options
    Praying for two victories over the Lions this weekend, but expecting to experience the same old sinking feeling:(
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Nothing wrong with Ponder. Any QB would look poor in that division (Rodgers, Stafford, Cutler for comparison). He blows hot and cold, but the offense is so heavily weighted in favour of Peterson that it's pretty much impossible for him to work into any sort of a rhythm. I've seen him carry the team when Peterson is off-form - that's not easy when you're expected to be a clutch player without running a clutch offense most of the season.

Leroy Ambrose, I am replying to you after the Chicago buzzkill where Ponder for a period looked decidely average which was a marked improvement. How can you say he has carried the team when "all day" is off form? admittedly he had limited weapons last year but with a QB rating of 67.0 (29th) how can he have possibly carried the team? They brought in Jennings/Patterson/ along with Wright/Simpson and he still can't get it done! He doesnt read his checkdowns quickly enough and does not posess any real mobility which results in turnovers and blown plays. The fact that AP is in the back field should aid the passing game for the Vikes, but defences still put 8 in the box because they absolutly know Ponder can't beat them by throwing it. Coupled with Musgraves limited playbook (because he doesn't trust Ponder either) and the lack of trust the offence has in him, which results in him not calling audibles at the line, it all makes for a long season for us Vikings fans. Still I am looking forward to my Vikings weekend as I am their guest. I might tell Ponder to his face what I and most vikes fans think! maybe not!! haha
  • Options
    My Chiefs are now 3 - 0. To put it into perspective we only won two games in the whole of last year. We are very much a work in progress and in no sense do I think we are contenders. It's just sweet to finally be able to win some games.
  • Options
    johnny73 said:

My Chiefs are now 3 - 0. To put it into perspective we only won two games in the whole of last year. We are very much a work in progress and in no sense do I think we are contenders. It's just sweet to finally be able to win some games.

....great result Johnny, so much for the Eagles "hurry up" offence. Seems like sending Cassel to us (Vikes) and trading for Smith also adding a No1 pick OT to protect him has worked wonders, fair play to the chiefs, as you say you only won two games last year!
  • Options

Same as: Never really thought about it before.
    Washington Native Americans doesn't really sound right.

The Washington NBA club changed the name from 'Bullets' to 'Wizards' because of negative connotations with 'bullets' as Washington was infested with 'gangbangers' (sic) and had a very high youth murder and crime rate at the time of the name change.
    If the name 'redskins' is genuinely causing offence to native Americans it should be changed. Redskins was traditionally a derogative term for American 'Indians'. Perhaps a name change would allow the football team to settle down and play and not be too concentrated on PC and peripheral concerns.
    The 'Washington Warriors' has a nice ring to it .. but not we hope the 'Washington Washouts'

• Options

johnny73 said:

....great result Johnny, so much for the Eagles "hurry up" offence. Seems like sending Cassel to us (Vikes) and trading for Smith also adding a No1 pick OT to protect him has worked wonders, fair play to the chiefs, as you say you only won two games last year!
    Thanks. Definitely upgraded at quarterback. Cassell is a solid back up qb.early days for fisher the ot.
    I wouldn't be surprised if you ended up winning more games than us. A long way to go.
  • Options
    SkySportsNFL ‏@SkySportsNFL
    Sky Sports 3 tonight at 5.30pm for Lions@Redskins then T Richardson's 1st game as Colts@49ers is 2nd up. @MClayton83NYG is special guest
  • Options
    DET 14-14 WSH
    2-05 left in the 2nd.
  • Options
    Bloomin' Lions.

17-14 to Detroit at H/T.
  • Options
    Giants are getting an absolute hiding at Carolina.