Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ukraine v England

England fans apparently attacked and stabbed in Ukraine this evening

Comments

• Options
    Heard from a mate it's kicked off, stabbing unconfirmed the lad might have got glassed - conflicting reports but seems 2 hospitalised. Thought this would happen it was moody back in 2009, tournament fever and global attention brought out the good side but now it's back to reality and the same old tricks being pulled on the English. Hope people get wise though, it's no longer Euro 2012 and therefore gathering en masse in/outside of city centre bars, hanging up flags and singing isn't going to be something the neanderthals take a liking to. Don't expect the police to take much of an interest either. Safe trip all.
  • Options

Heard from a mate it's kicked off, stabbing unconfirmed the lad might have got glassed - conflicting reports but seems 2 hospitalised. Thought this would happen it was moody back in 2009, tournament fever and global attention brought out the good side but now it's back to reality and the same old tricks being pulled on the English. Hope people get wise though, it's no longer Euro 2012 and therefore gathering en masse in/outside of city centre bars, hanging up flags and singing isn't going to be something the neanderthals take a liking to. Don't expect the police to take much of an interest either. Safe trip all.

Not particularly sure I'd like that either - and I'm not a Neanderthal (Cro-Magnon at worst).

Incidentally, 'Neanderthal', when used in the perjorative, is a misnomer. Most anthropolgists firmly believe that the Neanderthal and it's sub-species were actually peaceful. It's the offshot species which we are descended from that were the ogrish brutes that Neanderthals are often depicted as. But, I digress.

• Options

Not particularly sure I'd like that either - and I'm not a Neanderthal (Cro-Magnon at worst).

Incidentally, 'Neanderthal', when used in the perjorative, is a misnomer. Most anthropolgists firmly believe that the Neanderthal and it's sub-species were actually peaceful. It's the offshot species which we are descended from that were the ogrish brutes that Neanderthals are often depicted as. But, I digress.

Wow! Mr Attenborough stand aside!
  • Options

Depends what you think the pejorative means. Anthropologists also believe that a big reason Neanderthals didn't survive was because of lower brain capacity preventing the ability to adapt, advance and evolve. I've always regarded the Neanderthal pejorative to mean backward and lacking intelligence nothing to do with physicality. It's just that the two often come hand in hand.

Hope the fans stay safe.
  • Options

Anthropologists also believe that a big reason Neanderthals didn't survive was because of lower brain capacity preventing the ability to adapt, advance and evolve.

I would argue that but I'm too busy bandaging my knuckles.

• Options
    DRAddick said:

Depends what you think the pejorative means. Anthropologists also believe that a big reason Neanderthals didn't survive was because of lower brain capacity preventing the ability to adapt, advance and evolve. I've always regarded the Neanderthal pejorative to mean backward and lacking intelligence nothing to do with physicality. It's just that the two often come hand in hand.

Hope the fans stay safe.
    I take it you haven't seen that picture of Big_Rob that he posted recently? ;-)
    Pretty poor that idiots still want to fight and kill each other. Hope the guy is OK.
  • Options

I am out kiev for the game.

This post pretty much is what i heard last night. Group of england fans were singing outside à boozer and Ukrainians tried to nick a flag and it went off. I saw the blood and glass. News of stabbings is unconfirmed but from i saw people got bottled.

Euro 2012 was always going to be quiet.

• Options
    out here atm too. Can't say i saw anything unpleasant last night but stonewallpenalty has basically said but What everyone was hearing last night.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

Hope the fans stay safe.
    True - their skulls show a much shallower profile, which means they're likely to have been overwhelmed by the artifice, cunning and brutality of our own antecedents. I think most people equate lack of intelligence with thuggishness though, largely because the two are so often paired together. Perhaps Neanderthal man was more Palace than Millwall?
  • Options
    Perhaps Neanderthal man was more Palace than Millwall?

What walked about in stripey pyjamas?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This off twitter both watford fans apparently. - @davesto: A lot of stuff going round social networks. Basically I've been bottled in Ukraine tonight. Out of hospital now. #England
  • Options
    edited September 2013

I am out kiev for the game.

This post pretty much is what i heard last night. Group of england fans were singing outside à boozer and Ukrainians tried to nick a flag and it went off. I saw the blood and glass. News of stabbings is unconfirmed but from i saw people got bottled.

Euro 2012 was always going to be quiet.

@davesto: Worst part is that my flag has gone missing, if anyone sees this please grab it for me. #England http://t.co/MQOjr6QaMV
  • Options
    I've heard it was kids who nicked the flags and when chased they ran straight to a big, tooled up mob. 2 in hospital apparently
  • Options
    The kids as bait ploy is a common one and was done when we were there in 2009
  • Options
    Was in that bar for 5hrs and we left just before it happened. Knew the locals would have a pop at it before the night was out. Saw all the blood later when we walked pass.
    Lads all okay - one was on our Chernobyl trip yesterday.
    Like others said - we were here in 09 and got attacked then. Was always going to be like that again this time.
    Too many kids thinking it will be like the euros and behaving like that.
    That said its a good England support out here. Ob presence was a lot lot higher yesterday. Think it will get lively again later esp considering kick off not till 10pm and most England have been on the booze since first thing.
  • Options
    sounds like a accident waiting to happen. Stay safe folks!
  • Options
    More concerned about my hangover from hell atm mind.
  • Options
    You keep your nut down mate!
  • Options

The kids as bait ploy is a common one and was done when we were there in 2009

I witnessed that in Dnipro as well, the moodiest place I've ever been to! We ignored them and hid in some basement pub!

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Pretty sad that we're 2 days into this thread and football has yet to be mentioned.

Don't mean that as insulting to any posters, just a reflection of the baggage that goes with these sort of games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We're gonna win this one 2-1 .. Lambert & Lampard .. Come on England and shove it right up the Ukuleles
  • Options
    Well, at least we know Hart can't hold a note.
  • Options
    Kyle walker is shit
  • Options
    He looks more like Roy Walker at the moment .
  • Options
    Well you can't complain its a boring start !
  • Options
    We are struggling to cope with simple cross field passes both full backs

Milner will cost us tonight with a stupid tackle
  • Options
    Walker is getting torn a new one!
  • Options
    Quite an end to end game. Loads of corners. England to lose 4-3
  • Options
    Am I the only one who thinks Wilshere is overrated?