Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ukraine v England

Comments

• Options

Big Guns bet on Stan James went down in flames.

Four "major" teams to win (6/1) tenner lumped on...

Germany - vielen dank
    France - merci beaucoup
    Italy - grazie mille
    England - oh for f*7ks sake!

With the exception of perhaps 2011/12 and since the days of Kinsella, Mendonca and Rufus, I mean just what is the point really, what is the f&*king point?

Yep I am not lost on the irony Algarve... Born English and support Charlton.
  • Options
    Job 1/2done but two average sides .. England's MOM ? ... Cahill and/or Gerrard
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    smiffyboy said:

England will fail to win anything until they find another Paul Gascoinge. Absolute crap out there on display tonight unable to string passes together, run with the ball and too many times caught ball watching. How Ashley Young or Milner manage to get in the squad let alone play baffles me, at the minute there not even getting in there club teams.

They didn't win anything when they had a Paul Gascoigne although they did come as close as they had done since 1966 with a couple of semi finals I suppose. We do have player swho can pass but a few who can't and the weak links ensure moves break down. Also, the movement and support for each other isn't there so the person with the ball is under more pressure!

No short term answers, but maybe we could play more to our strengths. For me that is having as much pace up front - especially away- so bad/hopeful balls become good balls becuase of who is chasing them!
  • Options
    JT said:

Take out Lambert & Milner, enter Rooney, Sturridge or Welbeck and we would have won that. We're never going to win the world cup with this current crop, but i'd just be happy to be in the bloody thing next summer.

I don't think so.
  • Options
    Tbh, I didnt watch the game last night so cant make too much comment...
    Walker, bless his cottons, has been off the boil for 12 months or so now. Was seriously struggling for any sort of form last season and has started this season the same way he finished the last. He's suspect defensively and its his pace that gets him out of trouble. I'm assuming Johnson is injured rather dropped in favour of Walker?

• Options
    I don't like to admit it, but Rooney is our one world class player so it is possible if he had a good game he could have done something special. But Sturrige and Wellbeck - hardly the finished international article!

Game wasn't right for Lambert as team didn't attack enough or support him. Milner is a limited player, but did exactly what he was there to do! Not all of the other players could say the same.
  • Options
    Johnson is injured, and out of action for some time, I doubt he'll be back for the last round of qualifiers.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Tbh, I didnt watch the game last night so cant make too much comment...
    Walker, bless his cottons, has been off the boil for 12 months or so now. Was seriously struggling for any sort of form last season and has started this season the same way he finished the last. He's suspect defensively and its his pace that gets him out of trouble. I'm assuming Johnson is injured rather dropped in favour of Walker?

Walkers pace didnt even get him out of trouble last night. He looked slow compared to their number 10, who led him a dogs life.
  • Options

I don't like to admit it, but Rooney is our one world class player so it is possible if he had a good game he could have done something special. But Sturrige and Wellbeck - hardly the finished international article!

Game wasn't right for Lambert as team didn't attack enough or support him. Milner is a limited player, but did exactly what he was there to do! Not all of the other players could say the same.

Have to disagree on Rooney. My definition of World Class is would he get into a world 11 to play a team of Martians.visiting planet Earth...........IMHO No he wouldn't.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Have to disagree on Rooney. My definition of World Class is would he get into a world 11 to play a team of Martians.visiting planet Earth...........IMHO No he wouldn't.
    He looks like a Martian that's about it...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

RedChaser said:

He looks like a Martian that's about it...
    lol I wouldn't pick him for the Martians either! :-)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I do think people overreact to England performances if we don't absolutely slaughter the opposition by 5+ goals (and even then there's next to no praise offered).

If Charlton had played in a game that finished 0-0 and the passing had been a bit off, with a couple of players having a mare, would people be referring to it as "absolute crap" and "terrible"?

England fans are absolutely deluded on the large part, and as a fanbase don't really deserve much success considering the dog's abuse they hand out for the slightest thing.

I'm happy with the draw last night. This group is about qualifying, and little else.
  • Options
    I'm happy with the draw last night.

The straw I'm clinging onto is that RH sent the team out to not lose and got what he wanted and couldn't care less. Win one of the last two games and draw the other and England are through to the Finals. Given a rash of injuries and lack of decent early season form he could be excused for not picking the side he wanted. But...if England play like that too often we'll get embarrassed at the WC finals by teams who will ruthlessly exploit those weaknesses.

Hart is a good keeper for Man City but seemed nerve struck and hugged his line, his lack of communication with the two central defenders is surprising.
    Walker was turned and passed so often that you could be forgiven if you thought he was filling in at RB and was playing out of position.
    Wilshere - just does not do the job of screening the back four and playing DM with any degree of confidence, he gave the ball away too often and looked off the pace. Why not Carrick? Or Parker?
    Walcott - he needs to play inside right and preferably come off the bench rather than start, for someone with a supposed bit of pace to be outplayed by a 34 left back is embarrassing. To be fair England's set up didn't do him any favours.
    Milner on the left? How many times does he have to play internationally before the penny drops that he hasn't got the right sort of game for internationals? Why not Shelvey in that role?
    Gerrard/Lampard in the middle - they played well enough as individuals but given the number of internationals they have played together plus the number of times they have played against each other not to mention the gazilion hours of training they have shared that should be a grooved and seamless partnership, yet they are rarely look on the same wavelength.

There's a danger (which I'm perhaps falling into here) of reshuffling the deckchairs and thinking that bringing this player in/dropping that one etc and all will be well. Perhaps it isn't the players, or the manager/coach, but something embedded in the system. For countless years England have flattered to deceive at international level - the odd good tournament (Euro 96 etc) is the exception, the norm is dire meat and two veg football and early exits followed by the inevitable inquest.
  • Options
    RH will send the team out not to lose against anyone a bit better than Moldova, so better get used to the music. To be honest, last night was a good enough result, given that we had a few injuries, but it shows the absolute paucity of talent availible when we see the crowd on show last night. Let's be honest, we simply don't have a squad capable of much more tan reaching Rio, much less getting through the group stages when we get there. Every country has injury crises and suspensions, it's just that Spain, Italy andthGermany have a lot more skillfull players waiting in the wings than us. Given their limitations, last night was okay, but if three injuries means we have to put out players who can't do the basic (passing, etc) we're in trouble.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

I do think people overreact to England performances if we don't absolutely slaughter the opposition by 5+ goals (and even then there's next to no praise offered).

If Charlton had played in a game that finished 0-0 and the passing had been a bit off, with a couple of players having a mare, would people be referring to it as "absolute crap" and "terrible"?

England fans are absolutely deluded on the large part, and as a fanbase don't really deserve much success considering the dog's abuse they hand out for the slightest thing.

I'm happy with the draw last night. This group is about qualifying, and little else.

Amen, England fans are more deluded than Sheffield Wednesday fans!

We have served up 40 years of mediocrity and yet every game carried the expectation we are suddenly going to start playing like Brazil!
  • Options

cafctom said:

We have served up 40 years of mediocrity and yet every game carried the expectation we are suddenly going to start playing like Brazil!
    Very disrespectful that is.

• Options

cafctom said:

No offence mate! I actually like Wednesday, proper old-style English football club.
  • Options

I'm happy with the draw last night.

The straw I'm clinging onto is that RH sent the team out to not lose and got what he wanted and couldn't care less. Win one of the last two games and draw the other and England are through to the Finals.

A win and a draw will only be enough if Ukraine do the same.
    If Ukraine win both their last 2 games, 4 points will leave us in the play offs.
  • Options

cafctom said:

No offence mate! I actually like Wednesday, proper old-style English football club.
    Good lad.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Wouldn't get anywhere near it, either. Hasn't produced at a major tournament since his first in 2004. Debate over.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

cafctom said:

And strikingly true. If there are fans out there more deluded than either Newcastle's or Sheffield Wednesday's, then I haven't encountered them.
  • Options
    Thing with Rooney is that although he isnt 'World Class' he has the ability to produce a display or something that is world class. England dont have anyone other than Gerrard or perhaps Lampard that can do that.

I think he had the potential to be World Class but poor discipline, domestic selection problems, injury and pressure have stopped him being that class above.
  • Options
    Ashley Cole been the best LB in the world for quite a few years now in my opinion
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

So there are just 11 world class players in the world at any one time, one in each position, if we go by that definition RC?

Leaves an awful lot of also rans in an awful lot of countries...

• Options
    Rooney is quite possibly the most underrated player in the England side when you account for how much stick he gets and how often people bill him as 'overrated' and 'not world class'.

By the way, why are people obsessed with categorizing people in a 'class'. Such a simplistic approach to watching the game, and 'World class' doesn't even have a proper definition!
  • Options
    17th in the new Rankings
  • Options

Ashley Cole been the best LB in the world for quite a few years now in my opinion

Agreed. You can count the number of bad games he has has one one hand over his career.
  • Options
    Ashley Cole has easily been the best LB in the world, and its a real shame on Tuesday there was a ball played by Fat Frank to the Cole channel where for nearly a decade he has been there on the run awaiting that pass, for the first time in that decade I saw Ashley 2 paces off the ball and the full back clear up

real shame

what with needing a RB to miraculously appear in the next 12 months we may well need a LB
  • Options
    dizzee said:

JT said:

Take out Lambert & Milner, enter Rooney, Sturridge or Welbeck and we would have won that. We're never going to win the world cup with this current crop, but i'd just be happy to be in the bloody thing next summer.

I don't think so.

Well I think so chap.
  • Options

Ashley Cole has easily been the best LB in the world, and its a real shame on Tuesday there was a ball played by Fat Frank to the Cole channel where for nearly a decade he has been there on the run awaiting that pass, for the first time in that decade I saw Ashley 2 paces off the ball and the full back clear up

real shame

what with needing a RB to miraculously appear in the next 12 months we may well need a LB

Baines.