Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ukraine v England

Comments

• Options
    Italy & Netherlands have both qualified tonight.
  • Options

I wouldn't say Ukraine had far too many chances at all.

Out of the players tonight I think the two centre halves were decent.

Joe Hart wasn't stretched. The free header and that's probably it?

Ignore the potential 2 penalties?
    Oh right so potential chances!!

Not chances are they.
    A better team would've destroyed our defense today.

Cahill did play well i'll admit, but to say Joe Hart wasn't in trouble when he almost gave away a penalty would be lying...
    In slow mo Their guy arrived a split second after Hart and fell over his arm, great decision by the ref but we have all seen them given
  • Options
    Man of the match - was the referee, he got every decision right.

• Options

I'm not one to lay into managers, at the end of the day it is normally the quality of your squad that dictates how you do at international level.

But as much as I like Woy, you can see what a boring attempt at a safe pair of hands he is. All about caution, respect to the opposition, cap dothed to the international coaching fraternity. No balls or risks to it, safety first.

We nay get some decent results under his stewardship, but I will be really surprised if you see a decent attacking performance.

Not comments based solely on tonight.

It's easy to knock Roy but in my adult lifetime England have only played with any degree of fluency in 1990, 1996 and 2004, and that's with better players available. I only rate Rooney, Wilshere, Cleverley, Lampard, Gerrard, Cahill and Cole as international standard in the current squad, so maybe having a Curbs type manager is our best option. The fact is when half your team is out of their depth you aren't going to be best served playing free flowing football.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Not a classic by any means but we avoided defeat in arguably the toughest away game in the group.

Walker had some shaky moments but, unlike many supposed better England players, he didn't hide, stuck at it and actually looked like he wanted to play for the shirt.

I thought Lambert had a good first half but the pundits will always slag off someone who doesn't play for one of the Big 4 or Liverpool. It's what they do.

I would rather see the likes of Lambert and Walker out there than the Premiership prima donnas of the recent past.

We may still lose but we'll go down fighting rather than slouching around a la Rooney in South Africa.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Big Guns bet on Stan James went down in flames.

Four "major" teams to win (6/1) tenner lumped on...

Germany - vielen dank
    France - merci beaucoup
    Italy - grazie mille
    England - oh for f*7ks sake!

With the exception of perhaps Euro 96 and since the days of Keegan,Brooking and Robson, I mean just what is the point really, what is the f&*king point?
  • Options

Walcott has to play as he can produce that bit of magic or pace that cuts teams open but he is very frustrating. Mind you it is sometimes about how the team plays where he doesn't find himself in the positions where he is most dangerous.

He's like swp, all about his pace and when that goes he'll be a championship standard player
  • Options
    Was watching another game so can't comment on the performance, but isn't the result good enough for England ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Was watching another game so can't comment on the performance, but isn't the result good enough for England ?

It is mate, and a job was done. It's just the performances against the 'better' teams in competetive games that's worrying.

4 draws against the other decent teams in our group.

Couldn't pass water tonight either.
  • Options
    It's the sign of a pretty poor group when you look at the fact that we've only beaten the mighty Moldova and San Marino so far yet have it in our own hands to qualify with two games left.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We've only beaten Moldova and San Marino in the group? That's poor going, point is a job done wonder if we'll see sturridge or Rooney playing at the weekend?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Agree about the ref - he was the only world class performer on the pitch. A lot - no most refs- would have given them two pens although technically they were not.
  • Options
    Bloody hell that was miserable. No penetration at all. The worst part was Roy's response to the issue. Lambert was very poor out there and needed to be replaced with someone who could break up Ukraine's shape, and contingency plan was to invert the ineffectual wingers, then bring Ashley Young on in central midfield, then bring Tom Cleverley on for a winger on 88 minutes. Clueless.
  • Options

Ashley Young....what the actual fuck? How is he even near the England squad let alone helping himself to set pieces.

Walker, Walcott, Wilshere complete dog shit.

Still, played shit and didnt lose.

Agree with all of this.

• Options

Man of the match - was the referee, he got every decision right.

Agreed . He was very impressive .
  • Options
    we're crap.

but somehow i reckon we will make it to brazil.
  • Options

we're crap.

but somehow i reckon we will make it to brazil.

Where we will continue to be crap ...
  • Options
    (1984) said:

I'm not one to lay into managers, at the end of the day it is normally the quality of your squad that dictates how you do at international level.

But as much as I like Woy, you can see what a boring attempt at a safe pair of hands he is. All about caution, respect to the opposition, cap dothed to the international coaching fraternity. No balls or risks to it, safety first.

We nay get some decent results under his stewardship, but I will be really surprised if you see a decent attacking performance.

It's easy to knock Roy but in my adult lifetime England have only played with any degree of fluency in 1990, 1996 and 2004, and that's with better players available. I only rate Rooney, Wilshere, Cleverley, Lampard, Gerrard, Cahill and Cole as international standard in the current squad, so maybe having a Curbs type manager is our best option. The fact is when half your team is out of their depth you aren't going to be best served playing free flowing football.
    Cleverley? Do me a favour.
  • Options
    England will fail to win anything until they find another Paul Gascoinge. Absolute crap out there on display tonight unable to string passes together, run with the ball and too many times caught ball watching. How Ashley Young or Milner manage to get in the squad let alone play baffles me, at the minute there not even getting in there club teams.
  • Options

(1984) said:

Cleverley? Do me a favour.
    Exactly what I was thinking !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ashley Young has been horrendous since returning from injury , shouldn't be anywhere near man utd or Englands starting 11
  • Options
    I think Wilshere is a very pod player but too easy to put of his game. Get close to him and don't allow him time or let the ball run across him (which he loves)

Ukraine done it last night for 20 mins then the rest of the game he was pony.
  • Options
    Also fancy Poland to get a point in Ukraine which will be a right touch.
  • Options
    Take out Lambert & Milner, enter Rooney, Sturridge or Welbeck and we would have won that. We're never going to win the world cup with this current crop, but i'd just be happy to be in the bloody thing next summer.
  • Options
    Thought Cahill was immense last night, Lambert did ok till he tired (considering he's our best option without those injured or suspended). At least he put a shift in.

Walker looked shaky, nerves possibly? Have liked him when Ive seen him play before. Milner a bit like Lambert, gives 100% which I like but there are better players that should be in line before him.

That said, Walcott was ineffective and Young was pointless, so I dont know who I would have played last night instead. Never been blown away by Cleverly.

A decent enough result, 6 points from the final 2 should be doable with a full squad.
  • Options
    Never thought id say this but Carrick should be in the England squad on last nights showing.

Plays consistently for Man Utd and actually keeps the ball.
  • Options
    JTJT
    edited September 2013
    Sort of agree, but I don't think it would have changed much last night.
  • Options

Watched an average Italy side not too many years ago play similar defensive football, yet go on to win a competition.

Even that fairly average Italy side had Buffon, Cannavaro, Pirlo and Totti as the spine of their team, with players like Del Piero and De Rossi able to come off the bench... compare that to what we had on show last night.

We're not very good or enjoyable watch, so all things considered I'm pretty happy to see us sitting top of the group.

• Options
    edited September 2013

Big Guns bet on Stan James went down in flames.

Four "major" teams to win (6/1) tenner lumped on...

Germany - vielen dank
    France - merci beaucoup
    Italy - grazie mille
    England - oh for f*7ks sake!

With the exception of perhaps 2011/12 and since the days of Kinsella, Mendonca and Rufus, I mean just what is the point really, what is the f&*king point?

• Options

Never thought id say this but Carrick should be in the England squad on last nights showing.

Plays consistently for Man Utd and actually keeps the ball.

I thought he was and he was on the bench?, he should've come on at HT for Wilshire (and I don't particularly rate Carrick)