Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ukraine v England

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2013
    RedChaser said:

Have to disagree on Rooney. My definition of World Class is would he get into a world 11 to play a team of Martians.visiting planet Earth...........IMHO No he wouldn't.

So there are only 11 world class players in the world then? So say you had Buffon as your keeper, then the likes of Neuer and Casillas aren't world class? That can't be right.

I'd class a world class player as being a top international player who could fit comfortably into any club side in the world.
  • Options

Ashley Cole has easily been the best LB in the world, and its a real shame on Tuesday there was a ball played by Fat Frank to the Cole channel where for nearly a decade he has been there on the run awaiting that pass, for the first time in that decade I saw Ashley 2 paces off the ball and the full back clear up

real shame

what with needing a RB to miraculously appear in the next 12 months we may well need a LB

Southampton have got a cracking little LB on their hands, Luke Shaw. All the tops clubs will be after him soon. Apparently he's in the U21s already. Was impressed with him when I've seen him play for Southampton a couple of times, cant comment on the U21 performances though.

• Options
    not baines biggest fan VG I just don't see the hype with him , yep a solid player but we have been spoilt with Cole and baines don't make me think we will be ok when he goes
  • Options
    heard shaw mentioned a few times is he a good prospect then
  • Options

not baines biggest fan VG I just don't see the hype with him , yep a solid player but we have been spoilt with Cole and baines don't make me think we will be ok when he goes

Baines problem is that he's not played Champions League football. If he gets a move to United in Jan, then he'll be a better player for it and will replace AC nicely.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Rooney is quite possibly the most underrated player in the England side when you account for how much stick he gets and how often people bill him as 'overrated' and 'not world class'.

By the way, why are people obsessed with categorizing people in a 'class'. Such a simplistic approach to watching the game, and 'World class' doesn't even have a proper definition!

I could care less about how he's billed, what I do know is that Rooney's appearances on the world stage have been pathetic.

In 2006 he was unfit and his temper got him sent off.

In 2008 he played in a team that failed to qualify.

In 2010 he messed up pretty much every touch again owing to a lack of fitness

In 2012 his fitness was once again brought into question because he went a month without a game, missed the first two qualifiers and instantly lost his sharpness (all because he kicked a guy who dared to tackle him in a qualifier).

I don't know about world class, but if he had any kind of class he wouldn't have under-performed in 2010, apparently owing to a penchant for prostitutes (it was rumoured during the tournament that he was off-form partly because he knew the papers were about to break the story, which they subsequently did).

I detest Wayne Rooney. I'd sooner cheer on a player with half the ability, if I believed in him as a person. But it irritates me to see him fail so consistently, but pose like this:
  • Options
    2004 he was alright!
  • Options

RedChaser said:

I don't like to admit it, but Rooney is our one world class player so it is possible if he had a good game he could have done something special. But Sturrige and Wellbeck - hardly the finished international article!

Game wasn't right for Lambert as team didn't attack enough or support him. Milner is a limited player, but did exactly what he was there to do! Not all of the other players could say the same.

Have to disagree on Rooney. My definition of World Class is would he get into a world 11 to play a team of Martians.visiting planet Earth...........IMHO No he wouldn't.
    So there are just 11 world class players in the world at any one time, one in each position, if we go by that definition RC?

Leaves an awful lot of also rans in an awful lot of countries...

No of course not and you would have a squad of players to pick your eleven from. In some positions there is an abundance of riches for example the striking options. Ronaldo, Messi, Bale, Van Persie, Ibrahimovic, Neymar, Drogba, I can go on and even some of these would have to be left out but Rooney? I don't think so, even though he is one of our better players, just my opinion though. Hence the phrase 'World Class' is bounded about far too readily.
  • Options
    If Rooney could transfer his club form to England, or do so more regularly, then he would be a genuine World class player. Chelsea seem to have made several bids for his services recently and the suggestion was that Real Madrid were interested as well. But as Jimmy points out his record at international tournaments, bar the 2004 EC, has not just been dire but abysmal.

The question is, why is his club form at total odds with his England performances? SAF certainly got the best out of him - and clearly knew how to man-manage him properly. Take him out of his protective club bubble and he looks lost.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If Rooney could transfer his club form to England, or do so more regularly, then he would be a genuine World class player. Chelsea seem to have made several bids for his services recently and the suggestion was that Real Madrid were interested as well. But as Jimmy points out his record at international tournaments, bar the 2004 EC, has not just been dire but abysmal.

The question is, why is his club form at total odds with his England performances? SAF certainly got the best out of him - and clearly knew how to man-manage him properly. Take him out of his protective club bubble and he looks lost.

Rooney's best season 2011-12, was when he was played furthest forward and he was told to stay there. He was United focus point in attack. He scored 27 in the league.

For England he seems to drop so deep, gets frustrated, doesnt get support, sloppy in posession. i dont know if thats his doing or his instructions. He's started to do it for Man Utd now that RVP is the main man.

I think he would have been decent for us in Euro 2012 if he didnt have that petty suspension.
  • Options
    If England could get Rooney to only play as a forward he would be an asset to the England team.

Currently, with him basically playing as a poor midfielder whenever he's on the pitch, he's a liability.
  • Options

cafctom said:

I do think people overreact to England performances if we don't absolutely slaughter the opposition by 5+ goals (and even then there's next to no praise offered).

If Charlton had played in a game that finished 0-0 and the passing had been a bit off, with a couple of players having a mare, would people be referring to it as "absolute crap" and "terrible"?

England fans are absolutely deluded on the large part, and as a fanbase don't really deserve much success considering the dog's abuse they hand out for the slightest thing.

I'm happy with the draw last night. This group is about qualifying, and little else.

Amen, England fans are more deluded than Sheffield Wednesday fans!

We have served up 40 years of mediocrity and yet every game carried the expectation we are suddenly going to start playing like Brazil!
    Very disrespectful that is.

No offence mate! I actually like Wednesday, proper old-style English football club.
    And strikingly true. If there are fans out there more deluded than either Newcastle's or Sheffield Wednesday's, then I haven't encountered them.
    Okay, explain your reasoning for this shock outburst?
  • Options
    Agree with Newcastle fans but for really delusional fans look no further than L**ds.

As for Rooney, I support JiMMy85's earlier post. Cannot stand the bloke. Guess it clouds how I see him as a player and totally irrational I know.
  • Options
    Got back yesterday. Brilliant trip. If the team win bonus. Must be shocking telly though.
  • Options
    At the WC 2010 Rooney was so bad it was embarrassing and had it been anyone else they would have been dropped, I can't recall a more shocking display from an international player.

He was beyond awful, disinterested, shocking touch, lethargic - and yet he started every game.
  • Options
    its because he actually saw semedo score OP
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I think it depends on how you define world class - If you have to make one world team - no Rooney isn't world class, but if you could make 2 teams of the best players, he'll be in there somewhere.

And people's view of him is often clouded by a dislike of him which is not the right reason to rate his football.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

I think it depends on how you define world class - If you have to make one world team - no Rooney isn't world class, but if you could make 2 teams of the best players, he'll be in there somewhere.

And people's view of him is often clouded by a dislike of him which is not the right reason to rate his football.

Oh no he wouldn't! (well it is getting near the pantomime season). Nothing to do with his private life just not ahead of all those other forwards I listed IMO.
  • Options
    well - it depends how you would set up your team - a lot of top teams would like to have him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Came back yesterday aswell and had a great time.
    No problems with the locals, they were all really friendly and very helpful.

However a warning to anyone who may be going to Kiev or any of those old eastern cities in the future. The Police are as dodgy as they come.
    Me and a few others I met out there all got 'done over' by them for no reason at all.
    In my case i got accused of having cocaine on me, they searched me, emptied my pockets and took my wallet, and then threw me in a Police car with 3 coppers. They drove around a bit and told me i had to go to the station with them until pulling up near to where they grabbed me and letting me go. My wallet was handed back over but as expected all the money had been taken.

This happened the night before the game at about 3am when i was walking into the car park of the hotel i was staying in with my mate. It didn't detract from a great trip but I hope its a lesson to stick with your pals at all times when you're away. My friend I was walking back with was about 10 seconds in front of me but it was enough of a gap for the Police to see an opportunity to separate me from him.

Being 19 and foreign I was probably a very easy target, but if i just stuck with mate all the way back to Hotel i probably wouldn't have had a problem so don't make my mistake.
  • Options
    You didn't make a mistake. If they target you then you are done for. Police are corrupt in nearly every eastern european country (well from my experience). Sometimes you are in the wrong place at the wrong time. Pure street robbery in uniform.

Shame i heard about this as i thought the old bill were ok to us.

Pretty much everyone got seperated in our group at some time. You were just massively unlucky.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

well - it depends how you would set up your team - a lot of top teams would like to have him.

If you rate rooney or not, we miss him when he doesn't play. You don't have to be world class in qualification. Simply above average will do. But rooney is à fading star in world football compared to earlier years. Never turned into the world beater we thought we saw in euro 2004, perhaps you can blame the pressure, media, fans as they/we never gave him à rest.

Bur true great players rise above everything in their way and Turn up time and time again.

IMO.
  • Options
    Messi hasn't done anything at a WC. Ronaldo freezes in the big games, and Rooney hasn't played well at a couple of WCs, so none of them are world class? Some people don'actually like Rooney, a bloke they've never met, so that makes him pretty useless. Using that line of logic Ashley Cole is quite detestable, so he's not a good player. Right, where to now........
  • Options
    Good points all MAT!

Folev, although it would not help you, reporting what happened to the embassy might help someone in the future?
  • Options
    Rooney got all kinds of stick after Euro 2012, even though he only played two games and scored one winning goal. I've said it before, he is a major scapegoat for the England team. Its probably because he is our main striker and because his private life is often brought up publicly, he's that much more of an easy target to point the finger at.

Think it says a lot that he is being criticized on here after a game against Ukraine that he was injured for and played no part in!
  • Options
    Watched a documentary about the current drug problems in Ukraine and bascially they were being run and supplied by their police.

So corrupt.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Anyone we know ?

(Think thats an 'Addicks flag at the front).
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Its probably because he is our main striker and because his private life is often brought up publicly, he's that much more of an easy target to point the finger at.

what is so bad about his private life , shagging a brass ??

im not fussed about him , like him as a footballer , just peee'd off when he had a moan up to the camera at South African world cup about the fans booooing but that's prolly heat of the moment northern divvy kicking in

• Options
    I dont know any Barrow Fc fans