Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Pathetic

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    Simonsen said:

Just how I feel! If a supporter turns up to the ground and boos the team, and whines like so many of the people around me do, it's more harmful to the team than supportive. So yep, I'd sooner those people didn't turn up. I didn't mean to infer that on a forum it's the same thing, perhaps I was assuming a little. But I would take a half empty ground of moderate fans than a full ground of whingers. Like the good old days of the 90s!

Well said....or even a quarter full like the 80's!!!
    Bollocks your club wouldn't last 5 mins
  • Options
    Your club.

Speaks volumes
  • Options

Your club.

Speaks volumes

Well that's clearly what they are intending
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

I so admire the people on here who are so 'died in the wool' that any form of team criticism is taken personally by them. But I tell you what, as long as my hard earned cash continues to get put into the club I shall continue to have a gripe when they perform like they did today. Likewise, when they turn in a decent display I shall praise accordingly.

I genuinely wish you wouldn't come then. As low as CAFC's bank balance is, we're better off without you. That's the difference between being a Charlton supporter, and any other kind of media or entertainment.
    That response is just ridiculous. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean he should shut up and go away.

JiMMy 85 said:

I so admire the people on here who are so 'died in the wool' that any form of team criticism is taken personally by them. But I tell you what, as long as my hard earned cash continues to get put into the club I shall continue to have a gripe when they perform like they did today. Likewise, when they turn in a decent display I shall praise accordingly.

I genuinely wish you wouldn't come then. As low as CAFC's bank balance is, we're better off without you. That's the difference between being a Charlton supporter, and any other kind of media or entertainment.
    Oh don't be like that Jimmy, you are so hurtful!! I am guessing that your comments also apply to the other 2,142 contributors who had the audacity to question Saturday's performance? Just imagine if we all went, you would have the whole forum to yourself and could create your own debates! In turn you would always win the argument - result! ;-)

Come on mate, it's a football forum and a lot of us were gutted after Saturday; ironically, because of our love of this club! 'Reach out and touch faith'. :-)
    Just how I feel! If a supporter turns up to the ground and boos the team, and whines like so many of the people around me do, it's more harmful to the team than supportive. So yep, I'd sooner those people didn't turn up. I didn't mean to infer that on a forum it's the same thing, perhaps I was assuming a little. But I would take a half empty ground of moderate fans than a full ground of whingers. Like the good old days of the 90s!
    You are right about the 90's. I remember losing 3-1 at home to Grimsby on a Tuesday night and we all still clapped the players off. Doubt that would happen these days.
    We do need all the support we can get though, and everyone is entitled to their opinion.
    We're all in this together, so let's stick together and get behind Chris and the boys!!
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

That response is just ridiculous. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean he should shut up and go away.

JiMMy 85 said:

Oh don't be like that Jimmy, you are so hurtful!! I am guessing that your comments also apply to the other 2,142 contributors who had the audacity to question Saturday's performance? Just imagine if we all went, you would have the whole forum to yourself and could create your own debates! In turn you would always win the argument - result! ;-)

Come on mate, it's a football forum and a lot of us were gutted after Saturday; ironically, because of our love of this club! 'Reach out and touch faith'. :-)
    You are right about the 90's. I remember losing 3-1 at home to Grimsby on a Tuesday night and we all still clapped the players off. Doubt that would happen these days.
    We do need all the support we can get though, and everyone is entitled to their opinion.
    We're all in this together, so let's stick together and get behind Chris and the boys!!
    Well said, Brendan!

( That's another one I've brainwashed !)

• Options
    edited September 2013
    JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Trouble is half the ground was empty!.... or getting near that.
    I do not think booing the team is a constructive way forward, does it do any good ?. Perhaps it makes supporters feel better for a moment, but I tend to think it is water of a ducks back etc..... yes, it was a very poor performance, mind you the half dozen empty seats in row c of the North next to me hardly helps matters does it?......When the club is loosing money as it is? Where are all these 'Charlton till I die' supporters at a game against our local rivals?. Sitting at home watching it on sky?
    Fans pay there money, if they want to boo that is there choice I guess?.
    You find the value of the true supporter when the team is loosing, and we lost, against a team that was poor.

• Options
    I am seriously not enjoying this season. So depressing.
  • Options
    Genuinely forgot we were playing on Saturday (even forgot it was Saturday) so missed the match...Lucky, lucky, lucky me.
  • Options
    Lay off the croc
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Trouble is half the ground was empty!.... or getting near that.
    I do not think booing the team is a constructive way forward, does it do any good ?. Perhaps it makes supporters feel better for a moment, but I tend to think it is water of a ducks back etc..... yes, it was a very poor performance, mind you the half dozen empty seats in row c of the North next to me hardly helps matters does it?......When the club is loosing money as it is? Where are all these 'Charlton till I die' supporters at a game against our local rivals?. Sitting at home watching it on sky?
    Fans pay there money, if they ant to boo that is there choice I guess?.
    The find the value of the true supporter when the team is loosing, and we lost, against a team that was poor.

The half empty stadium look is so pony, I wonder if the players could even hear the boos with so few there. I would shut the upper north and upper west and just spread everyone around. Only open the upper tiers when the stands are full. I know this is unrealistic but it would look a hell of a lot better than it did Saturday, might even improve the atmosphere

• Sponsored links:

• Options

As we had lapsed on the season ticket front, Dad and I have gone back into this season determined to have the attitude we've always had - to enjoy whatever is on offer, and not bemoan our position in the grand scheme of things. We've accepted that we're one of 18-odd ex-PL teams who think they deserve more. We've realised we don't. It would be advantageous for the club if more fans realised this.

As a result, I might not have got quite the adrenaline rush from beating Leicester (or the equivalent of) that I did when I was 19, but then again, I didn't feel like I wanted to stab the eyes of each player when we lost to Millwall. We can enjoy this season, and my completely unsubstantiated point is that if we all had a more positive outlook, it would earn the club half a dozen points over the season.

"Fans pay there money, if they want to boo that is there choice I guess?" - Ken

That's the modern thinking, Ken, but I hate it. Actually hate it. It's a poor excuse for spleen-venting. It's perfectly legal, sure, but it's harmful, selfish and really, really simplistic.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

As we had lapsed on the season ticket front, Dad and I have gone back into this season determined to have the attitude we've always had - to enjoy whatever is on offer, and not bemoan our position in the grand scheme of things. We've accepted that we're one of 18-odd ex-PL teams who think they deserve more. We've realised we don't. It would be advantageous for the club if more fans realised this.

As a result, I might not have got quite the adrenaline rush from beating Leicester (or the equivalent of) that I did when I was 19, but then again, I didn't feel like I wanted to stab the eyes of each player when we lost to Millwall. We can enjoy this season, and my completely unsubstantiated point is that if we all had a more positive outlook, it would earn the club half a dozen points over the season.

That's the modern thinking, Ken, but I hate it. Actually hate it. It's a poor excuse for spleen-venting. It's perfectly legal, sure, but it's harmful, selfish and really, really simplistic.
    Agree, it's the same "we're customers" attitude in the modern day football. Tickets are so expensive that supporters now think that they should be pampered with Barcelona style football when in reality they should be there supporting the players and picking them up after a bad defeat. That's pretty much what "support" means. Many have their attitude that they're now customers and do very little in support. Football is incredibly toxic right now, has been since the early naughties/late nineties.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Agree, it's the same "we're customers" attitude in the modern day football. Tickets are so expensive that supporters now think that they should be pampered with Barcelona style football when in reality they should be there supporting the players and picking them up after a bad defeat. That's pretty much what "support" means. Many have their attitude that they're now customers and do very little in support. Football is incredibly toxic right now, has been since the early naughties/late nineties.
    That's interesting to read 'cos I wondered if it was my perception changing as I get older, or if indeed the football world changing around me. Maybe I was simply too young and naive to realise people were booing the team in the nineties. But as Brendand_O_Connell said, the team that lost to Grimsby got applauded off! I'd give anything for those days again. I bet there are plenty of teams in L1 and L2 who still have that.
  • Options
    i'm pretty sure the majority of people booing would have also clapped the team off if they had put in a shift, tried as hard as they could, attempted to pass and move and then lost. it's the complete dross that people get frustrated with and rather than accept it and saying 'well done lads....if you try we'll clap, if you don't we'll clap, if you play well we'll clap, if you hide we'll clap, if you score we'll clap, if you concede we'll clap, if you pass we'll clap, if you hoof we'll clap' they let the management/directors/players know that they are not happy.

now i am neither here nor there on the argument.......i understand that we are not good enough to be challenging at the top/middle of the league but i do expect effort. I sit in a part of the NU which has alot of day sales and some of the idiots you get turning up who last had a ST in the prem and spend the whole game screaming how sh*t we are and how we should be stuffing everyone we play do my head in.

but there needs to be effort and there needs to be improvement. it's an eight hour round trip costing £40 in travel for me to the valley and back and on saturday I was pig ill with the flu and i could have quite easily watched the game on tv. but i didn't want to miss such an important game so I made the effort to get to the valley and support my team.

Now i'm not a boo-er normally, as i said earlier, I understand that we're bottom six material or so and my expectations are down there too. but for a game against our rivals the complete lack of ideas, lawrie wilson spending his whole life hiding from the ball/pointing for it to be knocked to the other side, hamer's kicking, hoof hoof hoof and chris powell's tactical ineptitude and the complete lack of FIGHT and EFFORT from 7 of the 11 players. I booed.

does that make me toxic or any less of a supporter? i don't think so.

• Options
    mrbligh said:

i'm pretty sure the majority of people booing would have also clapped the team off if they had put in a shift, tried as hard as they could, attempted to pass and move and then lost. it's the complete dross that people get frustrated with and rather than accept it and saying 'well done lads....if you try we'll clap, if you don't we'll clap, if you play well we'll clap, if you hide we'll clap, if you score we'll clap, if you concede we'll clap, if you pass we'll clap, if you hoof we'll clap' they let the management/directors/players know that they are not happy.

now i am neither here nor there on the argument.......i understand that we are not good enough to be challenging at the top/middle of the league but i do expect effort. I sit in a part of the NU which has alot of day sales and some of the idiots you get turning up who last had a ST in the prem and spend the whole game screaming how sh*t we are and how we should be stuffing everyone we play do my head in.

but there needs to be effort and there needs to be improvement. it's an eight hour round trip costing £40 in travel for me to the valley and back and on saturday I was pig ill with the flu and i could have quite easily watched the game on tv. but i didn't want to miss such an important game so I made the effort to get to the valley and support my team.

Now i'm not a boo-er normally, as i said earlier, I understand that we're bottom six material or so and my expectations are down there too. but for a game against our rivals the complete lack of ideas, lawrie wilson spending his whole life hiding from the ball/pointing for it to be knocked to the other side, hamer's kicking, hoof hoof hoof and chris powell's tactical ineptitude and the complete lack of FIGHT and EFFORT from 7 of the 11 players. I booed.

No, it doesn't make you less of a fan.
    I let the players have both barrels as they walked off last Saturday, though whether it registered I couldn't say.
    When the team play with desire and endeavour, I will stay behind and clap them off down the tunnel at the end.
    I've no idea why you wouldn't want to get stuck into the players after a performance like that.

• Options

mrbligh said:

No, it doesn't make you less of a fan.
    I let the players have both barrels as they walked off last Saturday, though whether it registered I couldn't say.
    When the team play with desire and endeavour, I will stay behind and clap them off down the tunnel at the end.
    I've no idea why you wouldn't want to get stuck into the players after a performance like that.

Exactly right!
  • Options
    Because we won the FA Cup and a Play-Off final with a record scoreline.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Do you think Charlton are more affected than say Millwall, in terms of expectations of the support and the way some support their team because of the number of fans who were used to Premiership football and the standards that were set?

I've seen it with many teams that have gone up and since come back down. Prior to promotion the crowd were generally more supportive, the atmosphere was better...after relegation you can sense the sanitisation of the support, the split between the old & the new fans, those who have witnessed the bad times and accept where they are and the more recent fans who were more used to success and good football.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Do you think Charlton are more affected than say Millwall, in terms of expectations of the support and the way some support their team because of the number of fans who were used to Premiership football and the standards that were set?

I've seen it with many teams that have gone up and since come back down. Prior to promotion the crowd were generally more supportive, the atmosphere was better...after relegation you can sense the sanitisation of the support, the split between the old & the new fans, those who have witnessed the bad times and accept where they are and the more recent fans who were more used to success and good football.
    Yes, I think so SLL. We also gained a lot of new fans in the season we won the League One title (with 101 points (sorry, just thought I'd get that in there)), so people get used to winning.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

I think you are spot on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Think you're totally right there Sparrows. Very perceptive for a Spanner! And one of the reasons it's good to have views and insights from oppo fans on here provided they are decent chaps/lasses.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

nail on head. People think we have a divine right to be in the premier league or at least be in the top half of the championship
  • Options
    Someone has nicked Sparrows log in
  • Options
    Thank you SLL...the perfect explanation.