Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powells football is terrible

Comments

• Options

I would add Green, Hughes and Alnwick to that list.

So would I, and gower.

I was just taking the names from Vincent's list...
  • Options
    if powell goes he will be replaced by someone hardly any of us have heard of
  • Options
    According to Wikipedia, Church's best ever season was 12 goals in all competitions, for a good Reading side. Not been into double figures apart from that. Hardly been prolific for other managers.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

Ye Powells football is terrible to watch, but it got us promotion and we finished 9th last season. I'd rather that then great football but still in league 1. With investment we don't know what he could achieve.

This time last season the football was better - I remember travelling to Selhurst where we should have won. And later on we lost at home to Millwall - complete rubbish. After that we beat Bolton, Harriott came to the fore and was awarded a 3 year deal and we went on an 8 match unbeaten run and finished just 3 points away from the play-offs.

Was that rubbish management? Were the players poor? What happened next?

The owners wanted to sell and put a stupid £40M pricetag on the club - probably including £15-20M of their loans being paid back. So they wanted £20M for their "work". In the meantime they haggled with Fuller over a couple of hundred thousand and refused to bring in adequate replacements. Then Solly and Kermorgant both get injured and unlike last season no loan players in as cover - remember Hulse?

So the momentum was killed - dead. In fact murdered! But not by Powell I think. At the end of the day who really gives a flying **** about the qualtiy of the football?! It will always be rubbish at this level compared to what is served up at 4pm on a Sunday. For me it is about our club and pushing to be back at the top table - and that means winning games, ideally in the right way but that's a luxury.

Eventually the owners sell up just as the pitch gives up and the club is slipping towards the bottom three. They got lucky, very lucky. Any longer and they would be losing a lot of money for the TV money runs out in a few weeks and that's when the owner has to start arranging "the transfer in of £1M a month."

We got lucky too because I think if the owners had stuck around it was going to get quite nasty. Does the new owner give up on the pitch? No he injects a few quid to remedy the situation within days of taking over. So why give up on the management team and squad? We have seen a couple of players arrive who are straight into the first team squad.

What happens next summer is fascinating because so many players out of contract and many of them will not be renewed, but that is tomorrows problem. Right now it has to be 100% Powell, get Solly back in the team or loan cover so that Wilson can play on the right in midfield. And put right the damage done in the summer - get a striker in who can put the ball in the back of the net. Not cheap and not easy given that ambitious clubs and strikers will be aiming higher than Charlton.

But it is cheaper to fix the problem NOW than wait any longer. I said last summer that not getting it right then would cost more if left to get worse. And we are at the time now where it can still be done fairly cheaply compared to relegation to the third tier. All loyalties aside, Powell is our best bet for getting out of this mess and I would hope the new owner sees this too.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Well - when Church came in I was under the impression that he was intended to be backup / frsh legs for the last 20 / someone to keep defenders busy / available cheap - with the intention to get another striker to regularly put the goals away. That striker never materialised and CP is left with a back up as a first choice.
  • Options
    Or back to 4-5-1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

All this after we lost 1-0 away at an in form Boro during a period of transition.

I have seen Hoddle mentioned as a potential manager, if there is any other suggestion here it has passed me by.
    Hoddle knows football granted, so he is a credible name, obviously he will be expensive, he has been away from English league football for a while and would be a gamble.
    Other than Hoddle then who?

Dean Saunders for example?

This time last year Saunders went to Wolves whose players still had a bit of prem glow about them. When we played them at the Valley they were shameful, abject and an insult to their support.
    If we lose Powell I suspect we will become last seasons Wolves.

Not only do I not think there is any credible alternative to Powell, I think he is a really good manager doing well. I also think we can play, we can pass it around when we want, and cam mix up the play too.
    When people talk of good v terrible football they don't really say what good football is.
    Is it 20 lovely passes and a wonder goal?
    Is it keeping the ball for the whole game?
    Powell's football is not terrible, results are not great, but can anybody actually express what they mean by terrible anyway?
    Hoofball is condemned, tippy tappy is condemned too, the critics don't have a clue unless everyone plays like the 1970 Brazil team.

Good football is usually when you win, bad is usually when you lose, not difficult to understand, especially as this thread is back just after a loss.

Yeah, I have watched this lot since 1963, I have had a season ticket unbroken since 1971, and a couple of seasons before that too, I have also seen the good and the bad and suffered like the rest of us have.

If we can't see the value of supporting Chris Powell right here, right now, then I have overestimated the intelligence and judgement of most fellow Addicks.

Great post
  • Options
    If good football is when you win and bad football is when you lose,

we play bad football
  • Options
    Vincent said:

Vincent said:

Vincent said:

Well I don't tick any of those boxes and I post on here all the time.

And you've called Mike a typical lifer which is crap, cos I've seen him be critical of Powell on several occasions.

I was not referring to you so where did the first point come from
    Blaming the owner instead of the manager is typical of lifers and that is what he did
    But it's not 'typical of lifers' is it, that's my point.

Plenty of other people that post regularly on here have been critical of CP tactics in the past, or supportive of the previous board, or leaning more to the right with our political views....so this 'typical lifer' stuff is just bollocks. Some people's views on here wind me up but it would be a crap forum if everyone thought the same.

Seems like you've got a problem with CL because not all views match yours.
    You should know better
    Several people have supported the previous owner and been critical of CP and get some terrible abuse for doing so.
    I have no wish to change anyone's opinion but like to voice mine without suffering abuse.
    5 wins out of 25 games of poor quality football along with the cups so far is enough reason for me to call time on CP just like it would be for any manager we had and that is my personal opinion nothing else
    Why should I know better? I've voiced those views on here and not got abuse. I got called TJ a couple of times but it's harmless b*nter and become a running joke in the end.

Vincent, serious question, do you think CP has had enough financial backing to get a squad good enough to compete in the Championship and play the level and style of football he wants?? If you do, then who do you think would be doing a better job?
    Gary pleased you did not take the advise from NLA who goes a long way to proving my point
    Yes to the funding and here is why I think he has

Hamer better than bottom 4 keeper
    Solly lower PL
    Stephens lower PL
    Yann top 8 Champ
    Jackson top half Champ
    Morrison top half Champ
    Wilson mid Champ
    Wood mid Champ
    Cousins potential PL top 8 Champ
    Wiggins possibly lower PL top Champ
    Derive lower Champ
    Church lower Champ
    Harriott lower to mid Champ
    Evina at the moment lower Champ
    Sordell mid Champ

New loan players no idea

As for the new manager down to the owner as it should be
    I would class all of them as lower Championship quality because ,oddly enough, that's exactly where we are .
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

PL54 said:

I am feeling a bit aggressive this morning - can someone please have a go at me?

Never look a gift horse in the mouth.........tosser!
    Now that is what I am talking about
  • Options
    I'd assume that the first priority of all Managers is to get results, i.e. to play effective football. By and large, I'd say that Chris Powell's teams have been effective, both in absolute terms and judged in the context of the budget available.

That said, at any given level of effectiveness, some teams are more pleasing on the eye than others; they are more attractive to watch. The style of play used by different teams can reflect what's necessary to be effective, given the resources available, but it often also reflects the philosophy of the Manager and, perhaps, the biases of his coaching staff.

Whilst Charlton have been effective under Chris Powell, my own view, for what it is worth, is that we have not been particularly attractive to watch. More recently that may well result from the need to compete against Clubs with better squads, but it must also say something about Chris Powell's beliefs and about the style of coaching. In the promotion winning season we were blessed with a very strong squad, but chose to play "pragmatic" football. Moreover, there was a very clear contrast between this and the very obvious attempt to play passing football during Powell's first few months in charge.

Many people may be concerned only with results, others may dislike the more controlled passing football some teams, at all levels, seek to play. However, whatever your preference, I personally believe that it's hard to argue that we've been an attractive and entertaining side to watch during the Powell era. The only significance of this is the extent to which it might discourage "neutrals" or "marginals" from attending more often. It hasn't stopped me renewing my season tickets, and nor will it, but it might have stopped me getting hooked in the first place.
  • Options
    I would be gutted if Powell was to go.
  • Options

if powell goes he will be replaced by someone hardly any of us have heard of

Is that abad thing don't see Saints fans moaning now.
  • Options

I've made this point before, possibly earlier on this thread, but if you go back to the preseason predictions the majority seemed to realise that the lack of player investment had left us with a bottom third of the table squad. No one was calling for Powell to go then.

We are where most of us expected to be...

Bournemouth - that's not what I and many others say, and you should know it. The home games last season were utterly pitiful - we were simply unable to string three passes together. They were misplaced - possession given away courtesy of Pritchard and Stephens - so we hoofed it to Harriott wide left, and there are three defenders in his ear. Where's the support? - Our midfield is thirty yards away, staring at him. So we bundle a throw-in - and no-one knows how to do it...

• Options
    have faith you haters!! after all chris powell has done for us we should be thankful and patient results will come
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2014
    If you sit in the Lower North, you might appreciate the skill with which attackers come at us. Leeds, Brighton, even the Wendies. They have the ball - an achievement won - and play glorious quick triangles on the edge and in to the box, five yards each, the geometry intuitive, quickly and silently done to get in on goal.

Why can't we do this? We mis-place the simplest of passes in midfield, and are unable to control the ball immediately. We are mentally unable to thread an incisive ball to the strikers; the crosses don't get past the first man, or sail in to Row Z. Where is that lovely close, personal skill and method that other teams have? We end up with brute force and missing again. This is one of our basic failings at Sparrows Lane.
  • Options
    To be honest I'm 50/50 on Powell, to be fair he's got a poor squad compared to the majority of Championship squads, which is not his fault - that lies with TJ and MS, however, his substitutions (or lack of them) and formations often baffle me, plus I think we all have to acknowledge that his preferred style of choice is 'direct'.

For season ticket holders we've seen three home wins all season and one of those was a bonus as Donny destroyed us in the first game! So it's no wonder people are questioning the manager...

Having said that I'd like to see how Powell would do with better players - but I'm not so sure we will...
  • Options
    When Powell was given money to spend in 2011 on the squad, he generally spent very wisely bringing in players who knew what the league was all about and similar to Curbs, buying players who were hungry and in some cases had points to prove. Sure, there were one or two who did not work out and some who were only good enough for L1 but I see no reason why Powell could not do similar in this league if given some money, which he has not had.

We do not even need a massive overhaul, just two or three players imo to ensure we are playing in the Championship next season.
  • Options
    Our results in the Championship since promotion
    71 games played
    22 wins
    10 home
    12 away
    Regardless of performances or lack of this is not good enough to keep CP or his staff in a job.
  • Options

If you sit in the Lower North, you might appreciate the skill with which attackers come at us. Leeds, Brighton, even the Wendies. They have the ball - an achievement won - and play glorious quick triangles on the edge and in to the box, five yards each, the geometry intuitive, quickly and silently done to get in on goal.

Why can't we do this? We mis-place the simplest of passes in midfield, and are unable to control the ball immediately. We are mentally unable to thread an incisive ball to the strikers; the crosses don't get past the first man, or sail in to Row Z. Where is that lovely close, personal skill and method that other teams have? We end up with brute force and missing again. This is one of our basic failings at Sparrows Lane.

Good post Viewfinder,
    One recent game that springs to mind is against Sheff Wed, where for what seemed like a 10 minute period in second half we couldnt even get out of our half, and camped on the edge of our own box - and this was against a bottom four team , at home ! - do you call that entertaining.? Sheff Wed were much better than us - i have a young relative in his first real year as an Addick , and i can see him starting to wane already because of not having a lot to keep him entertained - has everybody forgot, that this is an entertainment business !!
    Iike everyone else I love CP - i had a good chat with him in Gibraltar pre season, but it just aint working - now, it may well be lack of backing, but, as i keep saying, he doesnt help himself with his inability to change and adapt and maybe wheel and deal. I dont want some foreigner who deosnt know us, or even some local who doesnt know us, but i just cant continue watching the turgid stuff that is dished up every home game.
  • Options

Why do you compare us unfavourably to Brighton and Wednesday? We beat the former and would've beat the latter had their equaliser been correctly chalked off.

I think your assessment is incredibly harsh.
  • Options
    My view isn't harsh, Callum - it's realistic, and appreciative. Look again at our midfield. We play safe, sideways balls, and this gets us in to trouble - Pritchard, Stevens, Harriott and Cousins are technically unable to control it, they think this ball is secure - and BANG! three opponents are in their ear and they've lost it. Our midfield is simply not mentally or physically quick enough to by-pass opponents and thread incisive balls to the strikers. Again: we have a throw-in in attacking position, and our man holds the ball, poised, in hope, and in vain. Where is the lovely, quick run down the line? Our players are lumpen, staring at him...
  • Options
    Is your first scenario the fault of the coaching staff? They say you can't polish a turd and although I think comparing out midfield to a turd does them a disservice, they just aren't good enough to consistently challenge the best teams in our division.

If only a sharp quick run down the line worked for every throw in, no doubt Powell would've coached that into them if there was a one size fits all solution.
  • Options

My view isn't harsh, Callum - it's realistic, and appreciative. Look again at our midfield. We play safe, sideways balls, and this gets us in to trouble - Pritchard, Stevens, Harriott and Cousins are technically unable to control it, they think this ball is secure - and BANG! three opponents are in their ear and they've lost it. Our midfield is simply not mentally or physically quick enough to by-pass opponents and thread incisive balls to the strikers. Again: we have a throw-in in attacking position, and our man holds the ball, poised, in hope, and in vain. Where is the lovely, quick run down the line? Our players are lumpen, staring at him...

And that midfield cost how much in the transfer market? Other clubs pushed on last summer - we did not. In fact we let Fuller go - someone who could change games and go off injured with the same strike of the ball. Still think the midfield is the best we've had for a few years.
    I'm sure we would all love to see the squad develop over time - next summer is a great opportunity to turn things around but we have to get there first ... In the right division.
    I can't comment upon what might be going on at the training ground but it won't be a lot different to elsewhere?
  • Options
    It will be interesting to see how RD handles the CP situation and whether to stick or twist.

If he views it simply as Chris having achieved two years ago the L1 title with a record points total and that last year he achieved a strong 9th position in our first season back in the Championship then Chris will probably be given a chance to see what he can do. Also, RD surely knows that finances have been tight and Chris hasn't had the financial backing so that would contribute to what's been going on this season.

However, if RD and his football advisers are more astute than that and are aware of the points that Viewfinder raises above, for example, then it takes on a different perspective. It then depends on how he and his advisers view this. Is it simply that the players available are just not good enough, mainly because of the lack of investment, or is it more than that and points to a fundamental flaw in the coaching approach?

It will be interesting to see how this all pans out.