Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Powells football is terrible

Comments

• BIG_ROB said:

RD and CP with KFC and BP, then HSBC will come to DHL to see if UPS can do it

Where do TJ & MS fit in?
  • BIG_ROB said:

Nope, it's SNAFU!
  • BIG_ROB said:

Where do TJ & MS fit in?
    Ask the OP or look on the OS

; )
  • BIG_ROB said:

Where do TJ & MS fit in?
    FYI - not with CAFC.
  • -(TJ+MS)=CAFC-CP
  • Squared
  • thats the SP on the QT
  • If you sit in the Lower North, you might appreciate the skill with which attackers come at us. Leeds, Brighton, even the Wendies. They have the ball - an achievement won - and play glorious quick triangles on the edge and in to the box, five yards each, the geometry intuitive, quickly and silently done to get in on goal.

Why can't we do this? We mis-place the simplest of passes in midfield, and are unable to control the ball immediately. We are mentally unable to thread an incisive ball to the strikers; the crosses don't get past the first man, or sail in to Row Z. Where is that lovely close, personal skill and method that other teams have? We end up with brute force and missing again. This is one of our basic failings at Sparrows Lane.

Good post Viewfinder,
    One recent game that springs to mind is against Sheff Wed, where for what seemed like a 10 minute period in second half we couldnt even get out of our half, and camped on the edge of our own box - and this was against a bottom four team , at home ! - do you call that entertaining.? Sheff Wed were much better than us - i have a young relative in his first real year as an Addick , and i can see him starting to wane already because of not having a lot to keep him entertained - has everybody forgot, that this is an entertainment business !!
    Iike everyone else I love CP - i had a good chat with him in Gibraltar pre season, but it just aint working - now, it may well be lack of backing, but, as i keep saying, he doesnt help himself with his inability to change and adapt and maybe wheel and deal. I dont want some foreigner who deosnt know us, or even some local who doesnt know us, but i just cant continue watching the turgid stuff that is dished up every home game.

There is a deep, aching vacancy in our midfield. I saw this in our pre-season friendly at AFC Wimbledon. I can assure you we had our first team out - we had returned from training in Spain, looking lithe, sharp, fit and up for it, and the first league game was next week.

Within the first twenty minutes, Stephens had been dispossessed four times in midfield, crucially. In the second half, our midfield was completely and utterly vacant while Wimbledon fed their wingers and swung balls across our box at will. We drew that game - trying very hard against a team two divisions below us.

I do wonder whether our players are properly trained at Sparrows Lane. I can assure you that the players from Yeovil, Barnsley, Millwall and Donny are worried about their contracts, their club's owners, and whether their wives will leave them at half-time in the Johnston's Piss-Pot. There is a vast difference between our hit-and-hope and that lovely sharp, rehearsed and methodical play that beat us ten times at home last season.

• Lets not get started on the whole what happens at Sparrows Lane crap.

Go down there and see for yourself and then report back. Don't just speculate that our coaching staff are shit.
  • Sponsored links:

Go down there and see for yourself and then report back. Don't just speculate that our coaching staff are shit.

Nothing has changed since August, we rarely have any "moves" at set pieces and we don't retain possession - this must be down to the coaching? Not saying the coaches are "shit" but would like to see some improvement otherwise, what does go on?
  • You haven't noticed how much Stevens has improved this year then?
  • edited January 2014
    We are very dangerous at free kicks, yet hardly get into positions where we could get them where we want them, although our opponents seem to be able to get a Kermogant range free kick against us in nearly every match. Fortunately, most don't have a player who can do what Kermogant can!

This concerns me, I must admit.

Why not, you can only summarise on what is served up on a saturday
  • edited January 2014
    I reserve judgment on the coaches until I've seen them coach.

One thing I will say, is that anyone that has played football will know, you can work on passages of play, passing drills etc as much as you like but playing a game is completely different.

Set-pieces are a different matter and it would concern me if we were conceeding from then on a regular basis which we don't

We have lower champ players, they are limited on abilty. This isn't xavi and Iniesta we are asking to pass the ball.

Why not, you can only summarise on what is served up on a saturday
    If you don't understand that things can be much more complicated than that you can. But Football, is more complicated unfortunately. I don't know if the coaching is great of rubbish - nor does anybody else.
  • Ok cheers thanks for that, I wasn't aware
  • We are very dangerous at free kicks, yet hardly get into positions where we could get them where we want them, although our opponents seem to be able to get a Kermogant range free kick against us in nearly every match. Fortunately, most don't have a player who can do what Kermogant can!

Not getting the ball to the place where you think we are most potent could be a coaching issue.

Nothing has changed since August, we rarely have any "moves" at set pieces and we don't retain possession - this must be down to the coaching? Not saying the coaches are "shit" but would like to see some improvement otherwise, what does go on?
    One classic this season, can t remember exactly what game, but think Watford away, where Jacko took a short corner to someone who passed it immdediately back to him, only for Jacko to be offside ! - my son and i just looked at each other and shook our heads !
  • edited January 2014
    PL54 said:

We are very dangerous at free kicks, yet hardly get into positions where we could get them where we want them, although our opponents seem to be able to get a Kermogant range free kick against us in nearly every match. Fortunately, most don't have a player who can do what Kermogant can!

Not getting the ball to the place where you think we are most potent could be a coaching issue.
    It could be - but the coaches can sometimes coach and the players not respond. To make a judgment on the coaching, we have to experience it IMO.

I hated the number of players who were unwilling to try to make something happen in the first half against Oxford - preferring a simple pass for somebody else to do it! That isn't coaching - it is cowardice. people criticise Stephens for giving the ball away too much, but he tries to make things happen.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think we are just as good as most teams in this division and this division is miles away from even the bottom half of the prem league,its down to our home,not away performances, so its not Chris Powell or coaching,its that bloody awful pitch we try to play on.

• One classic this season, can t remember exactly what game, but think Watford away, where Jacko took a short corner to someone who passed it immdediately back to him, only for Jacko to be offside ! - my son and i just looked at each other and shook our heads !

Yeah I remember that, why on earth did the coaching staff tell Jacko to be offside? They must be crazy!

Also more recently I can't believe our so called goalkeeping coach Ben Roberts trained Thuram to let a goal in from distance against Middlesbrough - didn't he realise that if you concede a goal in a match you have to score more than you let in or you won't win?! What are they doing down Sparrow's Lane, madness!! Everyone OUT
  • edited January 2014

Lets not get started on the whole what happens at Sparrows Lane crap.

One classic this season, can t remember exactly what game, but think Watford away, where Jacko took a short corner to someone who passed it immdediately back to him, only for Jacko to be offside ! - my son and i just looked at each other and shook our heads !
    I've seen players do this in the Champions League!!

That's poor player decision making and lack of concentration, not poor coaching.

Christ, give them more credit than that.
  • edited January 2014

Lets not get started on the whole what happens at Sparrows Lane crap.

Man Utd did the same thing today. perhaps down to human error rather than anything else.
  • No down to shit coaching

• One classic this season, can t remember exactly what game, but think Watford away, where Jacko took a short corner to someone who passed it immdediately back to him, only for Jacko to be offside ! - my son and i just looked at each other and shook our heads !

Yeah I remember that, why on earth did the coaching staff tell Jacko to be offside? They must be crazy!

Also more recently I can't believe our so called goalkeeping coach Ben Roberts trained Thuram to let a goal in from distance against Middlesbrough - didn't he realise that if you concede a goal in a match you have to score more than you let in or you won't win?! What are they doing down Sparrow's Lane, madness!! Everyone OUT
    Look at the thread title... What is your reason? A few think it's the coaching. Do tell us what you think the reason is for his terrible football - and please don't blame the pitch.

I've seen players do this in the Champions League!!

That's poor player decision making and lack of concentration, not poor coaching.

Christ, give them more credit than that.
    Granted, this couldnt have been down to coaching, coaching instruction would have been to hoof it into the mix.

I don't mind when people have a genuine point but saying two players cocking up a short corner routine is down to 'shit coaching' or the like is, well, shit posting.

I don't mind when people have a genuine point but saying two players cocking up a short corner routine is down to 'shit coaching' or the like is, well, shit posting.

Ah hem, i was responding to BigAndy's comments about set-piece coaching.
    Or are you suggesting that there is no coaching for corners ?
  • I was referring to northstandsteve's post, hence the 'shit coaching' quote.

Of course there is coaching for corners. But to say a genuine cock up..,that obviously happens to players in the best teams is just that. A cock up. Are the mistakes you make at work down to your error or poor coaching/management/leadership?

What about missed penalties? Mistake or bad coaching?
    Poor control? Mistake or bad coaching?
    Foul throw? Mistake or bad coaching?

As I stated earlier I just feel this example of a short corner being poorly executed is down to bad coaching a little bit silly.