Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powells football is terrible

Comments

• Options
    I am feeling a bit aggressive this morning - can someone please have a go at me?
  • Options
    PL54 said:

I am feeling a bit aggressive this morning - can someone please have a go at me?

No
  • Options
    Thanks Vincent
  • Options
    PL54 You are a happy go lucky chap with a good heart

is that having a go enough

watch out for wee willy winky though
  • Options

PL54 You are a happy go lucky chap with a good heart

is that having a go enough

watch out for wee willy winky though

WTF does that mean ?
  • Options
    Vincent said:

Vincent said:

Vincent said:

Well I don't tick any of those boxes and I post on here all the time.

And you've called Mike a typical lifer which is crap, cos I've seen him be critical of Powell on several occasions.

I was not referring to you so where did the first point come from
    Blaming the owner instead of the manager is typical of lifers and that is what he did
    But it's not 'typical of lifers' is it, that's my point.

Plenty of other people that post regularly on here have been critical of CP tactics in the past, or supportive of the previous board, or leaning more to the right with our political views....so this 'typical lifer' stuff is just bollocks. Some people's views on here wind me up but it would be a crap forum if everyone thought the same.

Seems like you've got a problem with CL because not all views match yours.
    You should know better
    Several people have supported the previous owner and been critical of CP and get some terrible abuse for doing so.
    I have no wish to change anyone's opinion but like to voice mine without suffering abuse.
    5 wins out of 25 games of poor quality football along with the cups so far is enough reason for me to call time on CP just like it would be for any manager we had and that is my personal opinion nothing else
    Why should I know better? I've voiced those views on here and not got abuse. I got called TJ a couple of times but it's harmless b*nter and become a running joke in the end.

Vincent, serious question, do you think CP has had enough financial backing to get a squad good enough to compete in the Championship and play the level and style of football he wants?? If you do, then who do you think would be doing a better job?
    Gary pleased you did not take the advise from NLA who goes a long way to proving my point
    Yes to the funding and here is why I think he has

Hamer better than bottom 4 keeper
    Solly lower PL
    Stephens lower PL
    Yann top 8 Champ
    Jackson top half Champ
    Morrison top half Champ
    Wilson mid Champ
    Wood mid Champ
    Cousins potential PL top 8 Champ
    Wiggins possibly lower PL top Champ
    Derive lower Champ
    Church lower Champ
    Harriott lower to mid Champ
    Evina at the moment lower Champ
    Sordell mid Champ

New loan players no idea

As for the new manager down to the owner as it should be
    Most of the players you've listed where brought in when we were L1. The fact that you now view them as Champ standard is a testimant to CP surely? They weren't top half Championship players when they joined?

I think we are 2 or 3 players from being a mid table champ team, the final third being a real concern.

He hasn't had any financial assistance for 2 seasons now. Give CP the wage structure and a bit of cash to sign a quality striker and midfielder and results and the quality of football will improve.
  • Options

I have been a regular at the Valley since 1967. I have had a season ticket for the last 30 years, and on average I see about 18 home matches a season.

Take away the golden years under Alan Curbishley and for the remainder of these 47 years we have usually been struggling in the bottom half of the Championship/old Div 2 or League 1/old Div 3.

So last season and this season being in the bottom half of the table is pretty much on par with every other season that I have been following Charlton. Perhaps my memory has been affected by the mists of time but the quality of football in the 70’s and 80’s when were also struggling was far better than the football being served up under Chris Powell. At least in those days we scored goals!

The quality of the football being played under Chris Powell is terrible. 5 wins all season. We rarely win a home game, we rarely score a goal and often we struggle to even have a shot on goal. Any floating supporters who have only followed us since the Premiership years have long gone, and even the old die hards are not renewing their season tickets.

Chris Powell has made some strange decisions. Playing Piggott instead of Sordell against Millwall was never going to work. Before people start saying that we haven’t got any strikers Chris Powell got rid of Bradley Wright Phillips, Danny Haynes and Ricardo Fuller. In my opinion Bradley Wright Phillips would always score 10 goals a season, Simon Church will never do that.

I am sorry and I know that I will upset some people, but I think it is time that we had a change of manager.

Typical Lifer...

Can understand some of your points Dickie, but just to be clear, he did not get rid of Haynes or Fuller, just BWP. And from what I had heard, he was proving a bit of a problem in terms of squad disruption. I also doubt Church would have been on his top 20 list of realistic strikers, but I think it got to the point of literally having no other choice.

I think we are in a generally screwed position I would expect the majority of our squad don't want to be hear anymore.

I'm not sure swapping Powell with a foreign manager with no knowledge and experience of the Championship (and that will be the likely solution) would have the required impact to see this season out.
  • Options
    wee willy winky is running around on this forum today so you must watch out

• Options
    I think its a given that CP has had very little financial backing, however, the main problems for me has been that 1) The football played is shit and 2) He and his team are reluctant/unable to change. If something isnt working, then you would generally try to change it. For me, its the same old uninventive rubbish served up that was 1) Successful in L1 2) Not successful in Champs.
    For me, something has to give - else we are on the slippery slope.
  • Options
    I'm a typical lifer ....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    so if you are the new owner:

--CP and other have said its the lack of investment after being promoted that is the main reason behind where we are in the league.
    -- You have just shelled out £20mil and the pitch is a lump some of aprox£600 K to repair/replace (not counting the cost of the heated pitch cover and the additional wages etc to try to save it this season).
    --The players are not playing well either because the contract issues)bollox they should be trying harder) or CP cant get them lifted.
    -- The Manager is out of contract soon but (a) wants X players contracts renewed asap and(b) has a shopping list of new players --X amount of investment.

If i was RD i would look at the players that will be out of contract and only renew the ones that have a sell on value.
    I would only give CP a contract for one year.
    I would only bring in 2 move loan players on 6 month contracts.
    If we stay up (big if at moment), i would sit with CP and an advisor (im sure one is either here and watching or is coming) who knows this league and agree who we could get in or who would be of use from SLs reserves.

i think we will find out in 2/3 weeks not only re the contracts and loans but CP as well,if we loose to Oxford and Doncaster he is gone.

• Options

Nicholas said:

The squads not good enough but the players should be given new contracts. Strange.

I said on another thread that the only ones I'm concerned with tying down are Alnwick, Wiggins, Stephens, Wood and Kermy. Not too fussed about the rest.
    No Solly ?
  • Options
    Already on a long term contract.
  • Options

Nicholas said:

The squads not good enough but the players should be given new contracts. Strange.

I said on another thread that the only ones I'm concerned with tying down are Alnwick, Wiggins, Stephens, Wood and Kermy. Not too fussed about the rest.
    No Solly ?
    He got a four year deal earlier in the season
  • Options

Vincent said:

Vincent said:

Vincent said:

And you've called Mike a typical lifer which is crap, cos I've seen him be critical of Powell on several occasions.

Blaming the owner instead of the manager is typical of lifers and that is what he did

Plenty of other people that post regularly on here have been critical of CP tactics in the past, or supportive of the previous board, or leaning more to the right with our political views....so this 'typical lifer' stuff is just bollocks. Some people's views on here wind me up but it would be a crap forum if everyone thought the same.

You should know better
    Several people have supported the previous owner and been critical of CP and get some terrible abuse for doing so.
    I have no wish to change anyone's opinion but like to voice mine without suffering abuse.
    5 wins out of 25 games of poor quality football along with the cups so far is enough reason for me to call time on CP just like it would be for any manager we had and that is my personal opinion nothing else
    Why should I know better? I've voiced those views on here and not got abuse. I got called TJ a couple of times but it's harmless b*nter and become a running joke in the end.

Vincent, serious question, do you think CP has had enough financial backing to get a squad good enough to compete in the Championship and play the level and style of football he wants?? If you do, then who do you think would be doing a better job?
    Gary pleased you did not take the advise from NLA who goes a long way to proving my point

Solly lower PL
    Stephens lower PL
    Yann top 8 Champ
    Jackson top half Champ
    Morrison top half Champ
    Wilson mid Champ
    Wood mid Champ
    Derive lower Champ
    Church lower Champ
    Sordell mid Champ

New loan players no idea

Most of the players you've listed where brought in when we were L1. The fact that you now view them as Champ standard is a testimant to CP surely? They weren't top half Championship players when they joined?

I think we are 2 or 3 players from being a mid table champ team, the final third being a real concern.

He hasn't had any financial assistance for 2 seasons now. Give CP the wage structure and a bit of cash to sign a quality striker and midfielder and results and the quality of football will improve.
    Most of the players we signed in L1 were bought with a view to them being good enough for the Champ and while I agree with you re more signings I think Powell has underachieved with what we have got.
  • Options
    WSS said:

All this 'typical lifer' stuff is starting to get laughable, and a bit wierd to be honest. Effectively tarring, I dunno, 1,500 people all as the same identical view is an insult to people's intelligence and just makes everything you say that follows not worth considering. You can see on this single thread alone a whole multitude of views represented.

You seem to clearly have a problem with this platform and those that use it. I'd suggest you don't use it then as you seem to be just doing so either for disagreements or a reaction. Sadly its not just you.

Finally, what is a 'typical lifer' ? If I had to stereotype id say it is a supporter who cares about their club, and who tries to pull together and help their fellow fan in their community. You've experienced that in the past so its a shame you can't see the benefits and just fall into trap like others of believing all the crap that is wrote about CL.

Are you a clone of Henry Irving?
    Thats probably one of the worst insults I have ever seen on here.
  • Options
    Vincent said:

Vincent said:

Vincent said:

Vincent said:

You should know better

Solly lower PL
    Stephens lower PL
    Yann top 8 Champ
    Jackson top half Champ
    Morrison top half Champ
    Wilson mid Champ
    Wood mid Champ
    Derive lower Champ
    Church lower Champ
    Sordell mid Champ

New loan players no idea

Most of the players we signed in L1 were bought with a view to them being good enough for the Champ and while I agree with you re more signings I think Powell has underachieved with what we have got.
    It was with a view to compete in the Champ. That's what we have done and are doing (just about).

Do you really see Church scoring 15+ under another manager? Or Harriott and Green becoming consistent? Or Jackson a regular starter for a play-off chased side? Think you're overrating our squad, we're missing a goalscorer and an attacking midfielder or two at least.

People said similar things about Racon, Semedo, Reid etc under Parky. In the end we did need better players. I'm certain that's the case now - but it might only be as few as 2 or 3.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Never look a gift horse in the mouth.........tosser!
  • Options
    Anyway, looks like we are in agreement - Powells football IS terrible - right ??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Vincent said:

Vincent said:

Vincent said:

You should know better

Solly lower PL
    Stephens lower PL
    Yann top 8 Champ
    Jackson top half Champ
    Morrison top half Champ
    Wilson mid Champ
    Wood mid Champ
    Derive lower Champ
    Church lower Champ
    Sordell mid Champ

New loan players no idea

OK, so you have given your opinion in the relative abilities of our players. Lets have a look at where some of these were when Powell signed them. You'll note that many of them have improved in terms of where they were pre signing to now.

What do you put their improvement down to? Luck? Or maybe good coaching and management?

The point is that while we may have a nucleus of players that are of decent ability, we do not have a squad that can cover for injuries and suspensions. That is why we are struggling.

Hamer was third choice keeper at Reading, now a good Championship keeper
    Solly not a regular performer or a lower level PL player prior to Powell's arrival
    Stephens signed from Oldham, now a lower PL player
    Yann, without a contract prior to Powell arriving, now a top 8 Champ player
    Morrison couldn't get into Sheff Weds team, now a top half Champ player
    Wilson was a utility player at Stevenage, now a mid Champ player
    Wood out of contract at Coventry, now a mid Champ player
    Dervite out of the game due to being unable to get a contract

• Options
    Scoham said:

Vincent said:

Vincent said:

Vincent said:

Vincent said:

You should know better

Solly lower PL
    Stephens lower PL
    Yann top 8 Champ
    Jackson top half Champ
    Morrison top half Champ
    Wilson mid Champ
    Wood mid Champ
    Derive lower Champ
    Church lower Champ
    Sordell mid Champ

New loan players no idea

It was with a view to compete in the Champ. That's what we have done and are doing (just about).

Do you really see Church scoring 15+ under another manager? Or Harriott and Green becoming consistent? Or Jackson a regular starter for a play-off chased side? Think you're overrating our squad, we're missing a goalscorer and an attacking midfielder or two at least.

People said similar things about Racon, Semedo, Reid etc under Parky. In the end we did need better players. I'm certain that's the case now - but it might only be as few as 2 or 3.
    Can you tell me who in our current squad is not good enough. Again for me a better manager and more chances created and I think Church could get close to 15 goals.
    I don't see more than 8 strikers in the Championship getting into double figures this season, it has to be a team effort
  • Options
    Vincent said:

Vincent said:

Vincent said:

You should know better

Solly lower PL
    Stephens lower PL
    Yann top 8 Champ
    Jackson top half Champ
    Morrison top half Champ
    Wilson mid Champ
    Wood mid Champ
    Derive lower Champ
    Church lower Champ
    Sordell mid Champ

New loan players no idea

To be fair Powells football is pretty terrible. This is mainly due to the fact that the majority of our players aren't good enough to play good football or Powell doesn't trust them enough to try.

There is a lot of blind love for cp here, I've said it before and I'll say it again, if it were anyone else in the hot seat with these results and this brand of football there would be a hell of a lot more discontent on this board. I think he deserves a chance with a bit of cash but I highly doubt he'll get it.

You could have made some good points Vincent, instead you just started abusing everyone, fail.

You also wrote the above post, proper lol material. We have maybe 7-8 championship level players, the rest league one or two
  • Options
    Church has scored at a ratio of around one goal in six games in his career. He has been on loan to five or six clubs so has played under plenty of managers. You expect him to improve this ratio to a goal every three games under Powell?
  • Options
    mrbligh said:

Vincent said:

Vincent said:

Vincent said:

You should know better

Solly lower PL
    Stephens lower PL
    Yann top 8 Champ
    Jackson top half Champ
    Morrison top half Champ
    Wilson mid Champ
    Wood mid Champ
    Derive lower Champ
    Church lower Champ
    Sordell mid Champ

New loan players no idea

To be fair Powells football is pretty terrible. This is mainly due to the fact that the majority of our players aren't good enough to play good football or Powell doesn't trust them enough to try.

There is a lot of blind love for cp here, I've said it before and I'll say it again, if it were anyone else in the hot seat with these results and this brand of football there would be a hell of a lot more discontent on this board. I think he deserves a chance with a bit of cash but I highly doubt he'll get it.

You could have made some good points Vincent, instead you just started abusing everyone, fail.

You also wrote the above post, proper lol material. We have maybe 7-8 championship level players, the rest league one or two
    Then please name those not good enough
  • Options
    Vincent said:

Scoham said:

Vincent said:

Vincent said:

Vincent said:

Vincent said:

You should know better

Solly lower PL
    Stephens lower PL
    Yann top 8 Champ
    Jackson top half Champ
    Morrison top half Champ
    Wilson mid Champ
    Wood mid Champ
    Derive lower Champ
    Church lower Champ
    Sordell mid Champ

New loan players no idea

Can you tell me who in our current squad is not good enough. Again for me a better manager and more chances created and I think Church could get close to 15 goals.
    I don't see more than 8 strikers in the Championship getting into double figures this season, it has to be a team effort
    Not good enough for what?

With Stephens and Cousins we have a better CM, but neither are goalscorers or regularly get assists. I don't rate any of our wide midfielders as anything more than lower end Champ, which is where we are now. Some are League 1 standard.

Jackson doesn't look like getting 10+ goals again, neither will Pritchard get 10+ assists this season.

Church has never been a goalscorer, why would he turn into one under a good manager? If we created more yes he'd score a few more, but 15+?
  • Options

A typical Lifer.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Vincent said:

Scoham said:

Vincent said:

Vincent said:

Vincent said:

Vincent said:

You should know better

Solly lower PL
    Stephens lower PL
    Yann top 8 Champ
    Jackson top half Champ
    Morrison top half Champ
    Wilson mid Champ
    Wood mid Champ
    Derive lower Champ
    Church lower Champ
    Sordell mid Champ

New loan players no idea

Not good enough for what?

With Stephens and Cousins we have a better CM, but neither are goalscorers or regularly get assists. I don't rate any of our wide midfielders as anything more than lower end Champ, which is where we are now. Some are League 1 standard.

Jackson doesn't look like getting 10+ goals again, neither will Pritchard get 10+ assists this season.

Church has never been a goalscorer, why would he turn into one under a good manager? If we created more yes he'd score a few more, but 15+?
    Who is to blame for your reply the manager
    Due to not reading my post correctly Church close to 15 not 15 plus and your not wanting to name individual players I am unable to dispute your views like you can mine
  • Options
    Vincent said:

mrbligh said:

Vincent said:

Vincent said:

Vincent said:

You should know better

Solly lower PL
    Stephens lower PL
    Yann top 8 Champ
    Jackson top half Champ
    Morrison top half Champ
    Wilson mid Champ
    Wood mid Champ
    Derive lower Champ
    Church lower Champ
    Sordell mid Champ

New loan players no idea

Then please name those not good enough
    Jackson
    Morrison 50/50 - hit and miss, sometimes champ/ sometimes l1
    Wilson
    Wood
    Derive
    Church
    Evina
    Sordell 50/50
  • Options
    I would add Green, Hughes and Alnwick to that list.