Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powells football is terrible

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Not many mangers have romped league one like Powell did, blokes done a great job with the scraps he has been given. Keeping us up will be another great job and then we can rebuild pre season and start pushing up the table now the investors are here.CAFC
  • Options
    Well, the left wing bit is right. That's all I know really..........
  • Options

Well I don't tick any of those boxes and I post on here all the time.

And you've called Mike a typical lifer which is crap, cos I've seen him be critical of Powell on several occasions.

I was not referring to you so where did the first point come from
    Blaming the owner instead of the manager is typical of lifers and that is what he did
  • Options

No it's not, there's a real mix of politcal views on here if you go back and look at any of that type of thread. If anything I'd argue the opposite.
  • Options

No it's not, there's a real mix of politcal views on here if you go back and look at any of that type of thread. If anything I'd argue the opposite.

I was actually speaking from how I fit into the 'typical lifer' profile. And that I don't know it all.
  • Options
    On one hand it may not always be the prettiest. But I'd rather stay up strying to play that type of football than go down playing nice football.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Vincent said:

And you've called Mike a typical lifer which is crap, cos I've seen him be critical of Powell on several occasions.

Blaming the owner instead of the manager is typical of lifers and that is what he did
    But it's not 'typical of lifers' is it, that's my point.

Plenty of other people that post regularly on here have been critical of CP tactics in the past, or supportive of the previous board, or leaning more to the right with our political views....so this 'typical lifer' stuff is just bollocks. Some people's views on here wind me up but it would be a crap forum if everyone thought the same.

Seems like you've got a problem with CL because not all views match yours.
    You should know better
    Several people have supported the previous owner and been critical of CP and get some terrible abuse for doing so.
    I have no wish to change anyone's opinion but like to voice mine without suffering abuse.
    5 wins out of 25 games of poor quality football along with the cups so far is enough reason for me to call time on CP just like it would be for any manager we had and that is my personal opinion nothing else
  • Options
    VG just ignore there is no reasoning with bitter twisted small willy people they will always be angry

WSS great response pal

like i said yesterday i genuniely hope that people are not this miserable and doubting in life as their world must be very dark and narrow
  • Options

Is Vincent's surname Tan ?

Are you a clone of WSS
  • Options
    So where should we be with our resources and this squad? Where will a better manager take us with this squad and resources?

Powell built a squad to get out of League 1 at all costs, not to play attractive exciting football and see where it took us. It had to be done, unlike Doncaster, Yeovil etc we needed to get out of League 1.

Aside from Fuller most signings since promotion have been players of a similar level to what we have. We know we don't have a big budget and it shows in the signings. If it wasn't Church and Sordell for example it would have been other inconsistent or unproven strikers.
  • Options

I was actually speaking from how I fit into the 'typical lifer' profile. And that I don't know it all.
    Right, gotcha. I mean, clearly, I do actually know it all but other than that I don't really recognise much from Vinnie's list either.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Vincent said:

Vincent said:

Vincent said:

boogica said:

Vincent said:

boogica said:

The pitch is shite the team is weak down to TJ and MS no finances to back up both issues thats why we are in the position we are in disgraceful.

Could you name all the weak players in our team, then tell me why everyone on here who criticize the old regime want all our poor players given new contracts
    Everybody has got different judgements on players , its obvious we are weak in certain places ie up front we lack a real goalscorer , no doubt CP asked the old board for money and all they could give him was someone in the calibre of simon church who ok works hard but he isnt gonna score the goals to push us up the table , as for contracts that is a issue that needs to be sorted asap .
    So you think Church is weak and because of this we are 4 points off the bottom of the league. As you say everybody has their own judgement
    Vincent, are you disagreeing that our striking options aren't one of the main reasons we're not doing well this season?
    I think we have a mid table side not being managed very well and if you read my comments it is not down to Church us being 4 points off the bottom. With CP's tactics I am not sure that 1 good striker would make all the difference.
    The depth of this squad and its quality is not mid table Championship. It is bottom third at best.
    Another reason for CP to go now
    Eh? Oh, is that because he's wasted all that money the board gave him for new players?
  • Options
    Vincent said:

Is Vincent's surname Tan ?

Are you a clone of WSS
    He is a lot older that's for sure.
  • Options
    Vincent said:

Vincent said:

Plenty of other people that post regularly on here have been critical of CP tactics in the past, or supportive of the previous board, or leaning more to the right with our political views....so this 'typical lifer' stuff is just bollocks. Some people's views on here wind me up but it would be a crap forum if everyone thought the same.

You should know better
    Several people have supported the previous owner and been critical of CP and get some terrible abuse for doing so.
    I have no wish to change anyone's opinion but like to voice mine without suffering abuse.
    5 wins out of 25 games of poor quality football along with the cups so far is enough reason for me to call time on CP just like it would be for any manager we had and that is my personal opinion nothing else
    Why should I know better? I've voiced those views on here and not got abuse. I got called TJ a couple of times but it's harmless b*nter and become a running joke in the end.

Vincent, serious question, do you think CP has had enough financial backing to get a squad good enough to compete in the Championship and play the level and style of football he wants?? If you do, then who do you think would be doing a better job?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Vincent , I'm all for freedom of speech, but don't tar everyone on here with the same brush , it makes you look stupid.

By all means if you disagree with something , say it ,be it here or ittv ,you may think CP is not the right bloke for the club , and Charlton Life, is a CP love in, but who the heck knows about our club , cares about this club , and is the right person for our club?

Powell has demonstrated with proper backing he will do a proper job, and with crap backing, he is doing the best he can (a crap job).

If we'd lashed a ton of dosh in the summer , and were where we are now, a lot more people would be on CP's case.

The big question going forward , is whether Chris gets on with the new owners, and is part of their plans.

We need to put out our best team at Oxford, go for broke, show some class, and get a win, Oxford are going to be up for it, and Chris needs to show he and the players still care, and can cut it at this club.
  • Options

Vincent said:

Vincent said:

Vincent said:

boogica said:

Vincent said:

boogica said:

The pitch is shite the team is weak down to TJ and MS no finances to back up both issues thats why we are in the position we are in disgraceful.

Could you name all the weak players in our team, then tell me why everyone on here who criticize the old regime want all our poor players given new contracts
    Everybody has got different judgements on players , its obvious we are weak in certain places ie up front we lack a real goalscorer , no doubt CP asked the old board for money and all they could give him was someone in the calibre of simon church who ok works hard but he isnt gonna score the goals to push us up the table , as for contracts that is a issue that needs to be sorted asap .
    So you think Church is weak and because of this we are 4 points off the bottom of the league. As you say everybody has their own judgement
    Vincent, are you disagreeing that our striking options aren't one of the main reasons we're not doing well this season?
    I think we have a mid table side not being managed very well and if you read my comments it is not down to Church us being 4 points off the bottom. With CP's tactics I am not sure that 1 good striker would make all the difference.
    The depth of this squad and its quality is not mid table Championship. It is bottom third at best.
    Eh? Oh, is that because he's wasted all that money the board gave him for new players?
    No it is because we have only won 5 league games this season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Vincent said:

Vincent said:

Vincent said:

Vincent said:

boogica said:

Vincent said:

boogica said:

Due to the lack of investment in the squad. I believe that if Powell had been able to sign at least three decent and proven Championship players then we would not be in this situation.
  • Options

Vincent said:

Vincent said:

Vincent said:

Vincent said:

boogica said:

Vincent said:

boogica said:

Due to the lack of investment in the squad. I believe that if Powell had been able to sign at least three decent and proven Championship players then we would not be in this situation.

Very much agree with that. Someone please remind me how much we've actually spent on new arrivals in the last 18 months?!?
  • Options

Vincent said:

Vincent said:

You should know better
    Why should I know better? I've voiced those views on here and not got abuse. I got called TJ a couple of times but it's harmless b*nter and become a running joke in the end.

Vincent, serious question, do you think CP has had enough financial backing to get a squad good enough to compete in the Championship and play the level and style of football he wants?? If you do, then who do you think would be doing a better job?
    Gary pleased you did not take the advise from NLA who goes a long way to proving my point
    Yes to the funding and here is why I think he has

Hamer better than bottom 4 keeper
    Solly lower PL
    Stephens lower PL
    Yann top 8 Champ
    Jackson top half Champ
    Morrison top half Champ
    Wilson mid Champ
    Wood mid Champ
    Cousins potential PL top 8 Champ
    Wiggins possibly lower PL top Champ
    Derive lower Champ
    Church lower Champ
    Harriott lower to mid Champ
    Evina at the moment lower Champ
    Sordell mid Champ

New loan players no idea

As for the new manager down to the owner as it should be
  • Options
    I have been a regular at the Valley since 1967. I have had a season ticket for the last 30 years, and on average I see about 18 home matches a season.

Take away the golden years under Alan Curbishley and for the remainder of these 47 years we have usually been struggling in the bottom half of the Championship/old Div 2 or League 1/old Div 3.

So last season and this season being in the bottom half of the table is pretty much on par with every other season that I have been following Charlton. Perhaps my memory has been affected by the mists of time but the quality of football in the 70’s and 80’s when were also struggling was far better than the football being served up under Chris Powell. At least in those days we scored goals!

The quality of the football being played under Chris Powell is terrible. 5 wins all season. We rarely win a home game, we rarely score a goal and often we struggle to even have a shot on goal. Any floating supporters who have only followed us since the Premiership years have long gone, and even the old die hards are not renewing their season tickets.

Chris Powell has made some strange decisions. Playing Piggott instead of Sordell against Millwall was never going to work. Before people start saying that we haven’t got any strikers Chris Powell got rid of Bradley Wright Phillips, Danny Haynes and Ricardo Fuller. In my opinion Bradley Wright Phillips would always score 10 goals a season, Simon Church will never do that.

I am sorry and I know that I will upset some people, but I think it is time that we had a change of manager.
  • Options
    @MendoncaInAsdas said :

Vincent , I'm all for freedom of speech, but don't tar everyone on here with the same brush , it makes you look stupid.

Best quote on the thread.
  • Options

I have been a regular at the Valley since 1967. I have had a season ticket for the last 30 years, and on average I see about 18 home matches a season.

Take away the golden years under Alan Curbishley and for the remainder of these 47 years we have usually been struggling in the bottom half of the Championship/old Div 2 or League 1/old Div 3.

So last season and this season being in the bottom half of the table is pretty much on par with every other season that I have been following Charlton. Perhaps my memory has been affected by the mists of time but the quality of football in the 70’s and 80’s when were also struggling was far better than the football being served up under Chris Powell. At least in those days we scored goals!

The quality of the football being played under Chris Powell is terrible. 5 wins all season. We rarely win a home game, we rarely score a goal and often we struggle to even have a shot on goal. Any floating supporters who have only followed us since the Premiership years have long gone, and even the old die hards are not renewing their season tickets.

Chris Powell has made some strange decisions. Playing Piggott instead of Sordell against Millwall was never going to work. Before people start saying that we haven’t got any strikers Chris Powell got rid of Bradley Wright Phillips, Danny Haynes and Ricardo Fuller. In my opinion Bradley Wright Phillips would always score 10 goals a season, Simon Church will never do that.

I am sorry and I know that I will upset some people, but I think it is time that we had a change of manager.

Dickie I am 3 years behind you
    Agree 100 per cent what what is the best post I have read on here for ages
  • Options

Do you think he got rid of them or wasn't allowed to keep them on?