Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Most irritating commentators

Comments

• Options
    Peter Drury is by far and away the most infuriating for me. Everything he says is so contrived, especially when it comes to the FA Cup.

Will never forgive him for that 'Northwich Victorrriouussss!" comment he made 2 seconds after the final whistle when we were on ITV.
  • Options
    Would be quicker to come up with a list of the ones I do like.

Adrian Chiles has struck me as someone who steals a living ever since the England World Cup qualifier in Poland that got postponed on the night due to rain (last October?). The Polish authorities spent about an hour deliberating over whether or not the game could be played, and Chiles was responsible for keeping the viewers entertained in the meantime. Despite having Roy Keane, Gareth Southgate and Lee Dixon in the studio, he was unable to come up with any meaningful conversation other than lame jokes about only having one pair of pants with him and repeatedly stating that they were running out of things to talk about. Considering the amount of air time that is dedicated to discussing football on tv and radio everyday, I thought it was piss poor that he couldn't muster 45 minutes of decent debate with three former international footballers to help him out.

CAn't disagree with any of the previously mentioned names. Alan Shearer and Mark Lawrenson would be first in line for my firing squad though.
  • Options
    Garry Birtles, can't stand the bloke
  • Options
    Jamie 'let me on the telly' Carragher.
  • Options
    Anyone who doubts the genius of Alan Green only needs to reveiw his performance on the classic Playstation footy game Soccer 97:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ABpm3CeyLs

I remember one classic he used to say: "It's half time, where's my tea"
  • Options
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Peter Drury is by far and away the most infuriating for me. Everything he says is so contrived, especially when it comes to the FA Cup. Will never forgive him for that 'Northwich Victorrriouussss!" comment he made 2 seconds after the final whistle when we were on ITV.
    Oh dear 🥹
  • Options
    Awful news to wake up to. 
  • Options
    Was it Peter Drury who commented on the 98 playoff final? In which case the line “the notion of defeat is quite beyond this Charlton side’s sensibilities” is a great bit of commentary imo. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    King Edward.. He's a common tata
  • Options
    Don't know his name, but that bloke that pronounces everythink endink ing with a "k" rather than a "g". And he uses it a lot, so typically you'd get "passink the ball to Raheem Sterlink". Drives me nuts.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    Don't know his name, but that bloke that pronounces everythink endink ing with a "k" rather than a "g". And he uses it a lot, so typically you'd get "passink the ball to Raheem Ster
    link". Drives me nuts.

----

Chris Eubank?

• Options
    PWR. Is Guy Mowbray commentating right now or something? Seeing a lot of this thread 
  • Options
    Not football related but Kevin pietersen. 
    He’s been very irritating. When at the game we have TMS on and every now and then it gets interference. We switch over to sky and within 2 mins of his voice we persevere with TMS with interference. 
  • Options
    And Clinton Morriston's rambling Prescott-like musings, usually ending in "to be fair" are also irritating beyond measure
  • Options
    The list has moved from commentators to pundits?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    The list has moved from commentators to pundits?
    They are on the radio as part of the commentary team, so I don't see why they should be excluded 
  • Options
    This guy doing the Chelsea v Liverpool game. 
    Just before the goal, he talked for about three minutes saying some bullshit he’d clearly pre-written where he referenced lines from ‘You’ll never walk alone’: “They’ve walked through some storms last year”; “They held their heads high” etc.

This is the sort of bollocks that really grinds my gears. He was so determined to crowbar his “oh look how clever I am” bullshit in that he was paying no attention to the game.

Stop talking shit mate. Tell us what’s happening on the pitch. It’s literally your only job.
    Jonathan Pearce used to do that relentlessly on Capital Gold, he obviously had pre preprepared lines to use in certain circumstances. I don’t remember any of them being either as clever or as witty as he obviously thought they were.
  • Options
    Just before the goal, he talked for about three minutes saying some bullshit he’d clearly pre-written where he referenced lines from ‘You’ll never walk alone’: “They’ve walked through some storms last year”; “They held their heads up high” etc.

This is the sort of bollocks that really grinds my gears. He was so determined to crowbar his “oh look how clever I am” bullshit in that he was paying no attention to the game.

Stop talking shit mate. Tell us what’s happening on the pitch. It’s literally your only job.
    Yeah it felt very forced, especially as I think the point he was trying to make was that Liverpool had a good end to last season - which I think he’d already mentioned about 5 minutes earlier!
  • Options
    Drury is painful.
    Can sense Neville and Carragher are thinking ‘who’s this Bellend?’
  • Options
    Bet he’s gutted he used his “drawing back the curtain” line on a goal that got ruled out. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    ‘He joined Chelsea Friday last’
    🙄
  • Options
    Just before the goal, he talked for about three minutes saying some bullshit he’d clearly pre-written where he referenced lines from ‘You’ll never walk alone’: “They’ve walked through some storms last year”; “They held their heads up high” etc.

Better get used to it, as he’s the main commentator replacing Martin Tyler on Sky. 

Terribly contrived, to the point where it’s actually cringeworthy how forced it is.
  • Options
    Watching our stream on Saturday substantially into the game our commentator spent ages trying to suss out and say what formation we were playing. Oh it’s a 352 or a 442, no a 352, maybe a 433, it looks like a fluid system.
    All well and good, maybe informative and of some interest, but whilst that rambling was going on there was actually stuff happening from the footballers playing football on the pitch.
    Those who only had audio wouldn’t have known about the action taking place whilst the rambling was going on.
    Why not save the chatter until there is a break in the action? Is that really a hostile suggestion?