Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Most irritating commentators

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    I used to hate Drury but think he's alright now. Him pulling out a thesaurus is more interesting to me than the stuff a lot of commentators come up with - "These two clubs met 18 months ago and there were 12 corners in that game." / "we're now in the 6th minute, which is when a goal was scored between these two sides three years ago" - those kind of stats are so utterly meaningless but commentators pull them out to avoid silence. Which shouldn't be feared in my opinion, but it does seem to bother a lot of them. 

Still, nothing irritates me more than the sly asides that the BBC main commentator does. Mowbray I think. When his inflection goes upwards as he comes up with something cheeky/ clever, than follows it up with a one-liner a few seconds later. Once you notice it, there's no going back. 
  • Options
    Mowbray is my bete noire
  • Options
    (Drury I do not like either)
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Mowbray is my bete noire
    (In the tone of Guy Mowbray): And that, ladies and gentleman is a phrase we DON'T hear often enough in football (and now slightly quieter than the last sentence): or in real life frankly.  (Pause. Say something witty about that aside. Suddenly say the name of whoever has the ball).   
  • Options
    Really enjoyed the commentary on sky sports football for the AFCON game tonight. Not heard him before but decent.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    I used to hate Drury but think he's alright now. Him pulling out a thesaurus is more interesting to me than the stuff a lot of commentators come up with - "These two clubs met 18 months ago and there were 12 corners in that game." / "we're now in the 6th minute, which is when a goal was scored between these two sides three years ago" - those kind of stats are so utterly meaningless but commentators pull them out to avoid silence. Which shouldn't be feared in my opinion, but it does seem to bother a lot of them. 

Still, nothing irritates me more than the sly asides that the BBC main commentator does. Mowbray I think. When his inflection goes upwards as he comes up with something cheeky/ clever, than follows it up with a one-liner a few seconds later. Once you notice it, there's no going back. 
    I know what you mean about phrases to avoid silence, but commentators wittering on when nothing needs to be said just reminds me of that scene in Alan Partridge where Dave Clifton says on air “You and I both know, Alan; Dead Air is a crime” It perfectly illustrates how they will talk shit rather than say nothing.
    I also suspect I’m not going to thank you for pointing out this Mowbray quirk. I hope I’ve forgotten about it before I watch a game he’s commentating on!

Anyway, my big issue with Drury - (who, to be fair, I’ve never really noticed before - all my venom has previously been aimed at that Cushion-faced twat Clive Tyldesley) - is twofold:
    Most immediately irritating is this ludicrous ‘screaming of a name that possibly, but not probably, will score a worldy’ bullshit he’s got going at the moment. It’s cynical, unnecessary and just very very annoying.
    Secondly, it’s not the ‘100 words when 10 would do’ element of his commentary, or even the poor quality of his ‘humorous’ asides, jokes and reflections. I can live with those. The problem is the fact that he’s so determined to crowbar his pathetic jokes, puns and obscure stats into the commentary, that he’s willing to forego actually commentating on the game in progress in order to impose on us all the depths of his witless imaginination. All in the name of self promotion and puffing his little ego up into the abomination that is his weekly demonstration of self importance.
    Nailed it!
  • Options
    Not sure about commentating but do think Aaron McLean deserves more air time as a pundit (and maybe co-commentator?). 

Always comes over very well in pitch-side punditry when there's a lower league or FA Cup game on
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    seth plum said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Ron Atkinson was the best co commentator - no contest  
    Every contest actually. Maybe Ian Wright has an opinion as to the measure of that particular person, or Marcel Desailly.
    That was an unfortunate incident there was no way back from but i'm satisfied that Big Ron is not racist and we have been robbed of a very entertaining commentator ever since  
    Is this satire?
    Atkinson was a crap commentator and is most definitely racist. He even has a "Racist comments" section on his Wikipedia page. 
    A dinosaur from a bygone age. Good riddance.
    he might be racist by your measure but not one that means anything
    Just the measure that quite rightly saw him sacked & disgraced.
    I feel pretty secure with the measure that regards referring to a fellow human being as a "f***ing lazy thick n*****." as racist.
    Another publicised Atkinson quote from that same Wiki section: "The Chinese people have the best contraception in the world - their women are so ugly. I can't understand why there are so many of them."

Not racist by your measure then? Is that you Jim Davidson?
    U need to lighten up - big Ron was a laugh a minute character, not a member of the klu klux klan, however unfortunate some of  his language might have been 
    His language was ignorant & bigoted. "Unfortunate" would imply an accident/bad luck, which it wasn't.
    Those were just a couple of select quotes he made publicly, dread to think what he'd come out with in private. The bloke clearly held prejudices, you don't need to be a Klansman to be racist. 
    What a facetious response.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    seth plum said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Ron Atkinson was the best co commentator - no contest  
    Every contest actually. Maybe Ian Wright has an opinion as to the measure of that particular person, or Marcel Desailly.
    That was an unfortunate incident there was no way back from but i'm satisfied that Big Ron is not racist and we have been robbed of a very entertaining commentator ever since  
    Is this satire?
    Atkinson was a crap commentator and is most definitely racist. He even has a "Racist comments" section on his Wikipedia page. 
    A dinosaur from a bygone age. Good riddance.
    he might be racist by your measure but not one that means anything
    Just the measure that quite rightly saw him sacked & disgraced.
    I feel pretty secure with the measure that regards referring to a fellow human being as a "f***ing lazy thick n*****." as racist.
    Another publicised Atkinson quote from that same Wiki section: "The Chinese people have the best contraception in the world - their women are so ugly. I can't understand why there are so many of them."

Not racist by your measure then? Is that you Jim Davidson?
    U need to lighten up - big Ron was a laugh a minute character, not a member of the klu klux klan, however unfortunate some of  his language might have been 
    His language was ignorant & bigoted. "Unfortunate" would imply an accident/bad luck, which it wasn't.
    Those were just a couple of select quotes he made publicly, dread to think what he'd come out with in private. The bloke clearly held prejudices, you don't need to be a Klansman to be racist. 
    What a facetious response.
    you're having a laugh
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good bit of balance on Sky for the Bournemouth game.

Presenter Kelly Cates (Kenny Dalglish's daughter) and the two Jamies, the spitter and the Skechers boy.

Sure they could have found someone with a Bournemouth connection.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Good bit of balance on Sky for the Bournemouth game.

Presenter Kelly Cates (Kenny Dalglish's daughter) and the two Jamies, the spitter and the Skechers boy.

Sure they could have found someone with a Bournemouth connection.
    Jim Davidson?
  • Options
    Jamie Redknapp - Wikipedia

AFC Bournemouth[edit]

Redknapp started out on the road to professional football as a schoolboy at Tottenham Hotspur but began his professional career, at the age of 16, in 1989 at Bournemouth, then managed by his father, Harry. He made 13 appearances for the club before attracting the attention of Liverpool, who signed him on 15 January 1991. Kenny Dalglish had paid £350,000 for Redknapp, who was still only 17 at the time. He was one of the most expensively signed teenagers in English football around this time.

• Options
    Who, back in the day would i liked to have had a pint with and talked football as well as Charlton ? John Motson.
    In preview or after match he was fine But
    I appreciate this is like slagging off the old Queen mother but I didn't enjoy listening to him on the mic during matches 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    Drury’s introduction to the League Cup final (some nonsense about a rhapsody in blue versus the red Mersey beat) might be the moment he jumped the shark. Absolutely awful. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Drury’s introduction to the League Cup final (some nonsense about a rhapsody in blue versus the red Mersey beat) might be the moment he jumped the shark. Absolutely awful. 
    That shark was jumped some time ago imo. 
    The bloke is an endless mine of cretinous babbling.

The most irritating thing about some of these commentators (like Drury, Tyldesley, Matterface etc) is that they are so utterly devoid of talent, yet they’re essentially keeping a potentially excellent, knowledgable, interesting and engaging commentator out of a job because they’re willing to spew mindless cliches and lowest common denominator soundbites in the name of “humour” or trying to sound like one of your mates.

Makes my fucking teeth itch.
  • Options
    Shag said:
    Carter said:
    Another commentator I really appreciate is Ian Darke, excellent for the boxing and has just the right vocal balance to handle an old firm derby with the same aplomb and craft as he would Gillingham v Northampton 
    He is first class, had the pleasure of driving him a couple of times and he’s a real gent. Pompey fan, very knowledgeable 
    My neighbour as it happens, and a very nice chap, always happy to have a quick chat if you catch him at the right time.