Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Most irritating commentators

Comments

• Options
     Cliton Morrison, I understand Portuguese more than him               

According to him on Radio 5 this evening, one of the teams playing was "Manited". I have to turn the radio off when he is on.
  • Options
    Oakster2 said:
    Valley11 said:
    I think Simon Brotherton is the best in the business.
    Well informed without being smug. Intelligent without being alienating.

I was at school with Simon, he was in the same class with me & Dave Beckett (who commentates on so many ITV-related football shows including the EFL Highlight show). I remember one birthday party I had was with Simon, Dave & another boy - who finished High School by murdering 3 old age pensioners & serving a life term (19 years actually)...
    So...

4 blokes

- Best in the business
    - Elite commentator 
    - Renowned freaky murderer

And...you....

Got a party trick or something? 
  • Options
    Oakster2 said:
    Valley11 said:
    I think Simon Brotherton is the best in the business.
    Well informed without being smug. Intelligent without being alienating.

I was at school with Simon, he was in the same class with me & Dave Beckett (who commentates on so many ITV-related football shows including the EFL Highlight show). I remember one birthday party I had was with Simon, Dave & another boy - who finished High School by murdering 3 old age pensioners & serving a life term (19 years actually)...
    Great memories eh mate?

Glad to say those 19 years flew bye......
  • Options
    Carter said:
    As we hack about who is shit, let us bow our heads and salute to Peter Brackley and some real luminaries of the game doing the Italian games on a Sunday when the world was a purer place and the single best sports presenter/anchor in James Richardson and it isn't even close 
    Sublime
  • Options
     Cliton Morrison, I understand Portuguese more than him               

According to him on Radio 5 this evening, one of the teams playing was "Manited". I have to turn the radio off when he is on.
    Innit.
  • Options
    Having lived in Portugal for the best part of the last three years, I have been spared Sky's commentators, preferring to watch Portuguese coverage of prem games with the sound on mute. Today, I watched Manure v the Yids on Sky and oh my god, the commentator (who ever he was, was just down right awful, full of one liners like he was praying for the "they think its all over now" piece of commentary that would go down in folklore. Took me about 20 minutes until I hit the mute button.    
  • Options
    Carter said:
    As we hack about who is shit, let us bow our heads and salute to Peter Brackley and some real luminaries of the game doing the Italian games on a Sunday when the world was a purer place and the single best sports presenter/anchor in James Richardson and it isn't even close 
    Brackley with Ray Wilkins was always good banter between them.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Carter said:
    Brackley with Ray Wilkins was always good banter between them.
    Rest both of their souls, Ray Wilkins was a fantastic addition to any commentary

My word 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iaitch said:
    United game last night, commentator says 'I would say coming up to halftime but with the new rules we don't know until the board goes up'.

Err we've had the extra time board for quite a few years now.  
    It’s fairly obvious what the commentator meant here so I think the misunderstanding’s on you
  • Options
    West2003 said:
    iaitch said:
    United game last night, commentator says 'I would say coming up to halftime but with the new rules we don't know until the board goes up'.

Err we've had the extra time board for quite a few years now.  
    It’s fairly obvious what the commentator meant here so I think the misunderstanding’s on you
    Like the spontaneous reply, only posted that in August last year.
  • Options
    edited January 15
    The greatest co-commentator of all time was Trevor Brooking. He was laid back, he understood the gig and didn't overstep his remit. Or make stupid fucking "ooooooohhh" noises. He always knew what was happening and explained it without fuss. Shame he went off to fix English football instead of sticking with the media stuff! 
  • Options
    Every commentator who has ever lived, or ever will live, ought to start out on the wireless.
    That way they might have an insight as to the actual purpose of their job.
    Nobody gives a rats about their opinion, because most of us can make up our own minds, their job is to serve the viewer or listener, not self serve as most of them do.
    I couldn’t care less about their journey, or pie, or choice of clothing and so on.
    I remember one occasion where a wireless commentator complained about the Tannoy system at the ground drowning him out, oh do eff off, the spectators on the ground are being served, and he wouldn’t have a job if they weren’t there sustaining the event.
  • Options
    Doesn’t always mean they’ll be any good on TV though Seth.
    Jonathan Pearce springs to mind.

I love Rob Palmer. Used to love him on La Liga. Yet he struggles to get a gig on Sky. They have him for the odd EFL game but that’s it. Defies logic to me 🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    On sky they have the commentator, co commentator and now they have to bring in Mike Dean to give his opinion on whether the ref made the right/wrong decision.
  • Options
    Ron Atkinson was the best co commentator - no contest  
  • Options
    edited January 15
    Doesn’t always mean they’ll be any good on TV though Seth.
    Jonathan Pearce springs to mind.

I love Rob Palmer. Used to love him on La Liga. Yet he struggles to get a gig on Sky. They have him for the odd EFL game but that’s it. Defies logic to me 🤷‍♀️
    I suppose I am talking from the position of a 'blind' listener.
    I am not blind myself by the way.
    Even on TV those with the microphone fail to tell us useful things we may not be able to see, for example subs being lined up, or how much time has been added on.
    I am not sure about the actual purpose of TV commentators. In the days before mass media and names on shirts it was good to hear the name of the player we can see doing things, a fundamental for TV commentators.
    It wouldn't be the end of the world for me (of course others see things differently) if we had televised matches with only the ambient sound.
    Funnily enough occasionally one sees a game when the commentary is in a different language that you wouldn't necessarily understand, I quite like those, because at least the commentator isn't going to irritate.
    The biggest mistake commentators make is to assume others want to know their opinion, and don't get me started on 'pundits'. 'Pundits' would serve a more useful role in society digging up vegetables in danger of spoiling in the fields.
  • Options
    The pundits that tell you that was a good shot/save or it hit the post, things we can see/work out for ourselves.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Every contest actually. Maybe Ian Wright has an opinion as to the measure of that particular person, or Marcel Desailly.
  • Options
    Maris Piper and King Edward are fairly common types, but I wouldn't call them irritating.
  • Options
    KING Edward is hardly a common tater.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    I think he falls into the 'Celebrities you didn't realise were still alive' category. 
  • Options
    Rob said:
    Peter Drury. The master of the hyperbole. I’m not a fan!
    He’s the latest in a long line of hyperbole merchants I’m afraid. Davies started it and it’s been carried on by the likes of the lamentable Tyldesly and Mattersmug. Ian Danter is getting into the habit too sadly as I used to like him. All we need is someone with a decent voice to describe what’s going on and provide the info we need. None of this listen to how smart and smug I can be nonsense. Sadly, Robyn Cowan who I think is probably the best commentator out there in terms of knowledge and content has a completely unlistenable voice, especially when she gets excited. It’s quite a hard thing to get right I imagine. Easy to be critical but I bet most of us would be rubbish at it too.  I just turn the sound down now or use the stadium noise option where it’s available (Amazon). 
  • Options
    Rob said:
    Peter Drury. The master of the hyperbole. I’m not a fan!
    He’s the latest in a long line of hyperbole merchants I’m afraid. Davies started it and it’s been carried on by the likes of the lamentable Tyldesly and Mattersmug. Ian Danter is getting into the habit too sadly as I used to like him. All we need is someone with a decent voice to describe what’s going on and provide the info we need. None of this listen to how smart and smug I can be nonsense. Sadly, Robyn Cowan who I think is probably the best commentator out there in terms of knowledge and content has a completely unlistenable voice, especially when she gets excited. It’s quite a hard thing to get right I imagine. Easy to be critical but I bet most of us would be rubbish at it too.  I just turn the sound down now or use the stadium noise option where it’s available (Amazon). 
    Spot on.
    I had a go whilst on a tour of BBC Wales.
    2 minutes of trying to commentate on a Ireland v Wales 6 Nations game I’d already seen.
    Had an absolute nightmare.
    Great fun & I’d have another go in a heartbeat.
    But it’s not my forte.
  • Options
    I like Peter Drury, he clearly loves the sport, and knows he's lucky to be working as part of it 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    I like Peter Drury, he clearly loves the sport, and knows he's lucky to be working as part of it 
    Whaaaaaaaaat?
    If he loves it, tell him just talk about it in plain language then & not like he’s swallowed a thesaurus.
    Its so painful to listen to 😩😩😩😩😩😩
  • Options
    They are doing it for the clips on social media not the live viewer of the game. They want to go viral. And they have probably been told to do it like this rather than actually wanting to.