Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v QPR Post-match Views 2014

Comments

• Options
    We tackled well on a pitch that invites tackling. The back four largely snuffed out a powder-puff attack.. as did theirs. Our midfield at least held their own against theirs and for once we finished the stronger team.

Adjarevic is a good player and well suited to the diamond formation we adopted when he came on. But he was blowing heavily after his first run. This is a concern and im sure the coaches will be on his case.

Poyet was magnificent. He read the play, intercepted and got himself on the ball. Jackson tackled better than any game recently. Every defender was excellent even though QPR had zilch up front.

Well done everyone.
  • Options

Redrobo said:

First the positives : obviously the result. Work ethic and good performances from four or five players. There are also negatives. Big CP fan but picking Green and Church ongoing is going to get him sacked. Tudgay and Ajdarevic changed our game. Captains goal yet again but if we get in two more quality loans I can't see where JJ sits in the team. Poyet is absolute quality.

Tacticts spot on. I am not a green fan but he worked hard and played his part, so did church. Closing down is hard work but it meant that they did not have a gentle out which is so important.

It is a long time since I have been so happy at a game. It was fantastic. Out fought them, and in the end outplayed a very good team. Defence outstanding. No attempts on goal.

They have best defence in league, we have worst attack. Yet we won.

We just won a cup final.
    Sorry. If we are relying on Green and Church to save us from relegation then we're fecked. Not knocking Church's effort but the bloke holds no threat whatsoever and doesn't complement Reza either. As for Green. He's simply not good enough.

Said at the beginning I am not a Green fan. Firmly in the Wiggy group and do not think he is good enough at this level. My view is that he is not good enough at this level and would not be in my 1st team. He did work hard, along with Church. That does mean tbat subs are playing against more tired players and those in a hurry. I hope Green is never required again, same Church. But you can't slag off whT theydid today. Total team performance.
  • Options
    Listening to the BBC interview did CP just say a "packed Valley"??
  • Options
    The problem with Danny Green is that he just isn't that bright. Makes appalling decisions, whether it's trying to score from every corner he takes like in the past, or having that ridiculous glory shot today when he had Church and Reza running into space in front of him.

Has Peter Parsley's absence been mentioned by anyone? I'm assuming as he played for the U21s in the week it's not that he's not fit, but that he's not good enough. Could be an expensive mistake by Roland, if that's the case. Nego is nowhere near the squad either - is he injured? Powell said after the match that all his fit players were involved today but that doesn't sound right to me.

Agree that the back pass by Dervite was dodgy but that only takes some of the blame away from Thuram. All keepers make mistakes though and apart from that I thought he was OK today, not that he had much to do. I thought the chanting for Hamer straight afterwards was very harsh.

Subs were spot on today, AA is fast becoming one of my favourite players but agree that he looks a bit porky right now. Having said that so did Andy Reid back in the day so I can live with it if he can keep these performances up.

Still buzzing three hours later and trying to convince the kids to come to Leicester with me next week! Amazing what a win can do to the spirits, and while I'd rather have the points than the games in hand, the table still looks the best it has done for a long time this evening.

Now, please sort out SCP's contract and get SWP in and it will have been a perfect weekend.
  • Options
    what a captain always leads from the front well done jacko
  • Options
    Meant waggy group.
  • Options
    Just back home - brilliant performance all round, worked very hard in the first half and the defence was immense. Second half was quite a different story, we took over for long periods and thoroughly deserved the win.
    SCP's subs really won the game for us today, AA in particular.
    The chanting against Thurman was a total joke and not helpful at all.
  • Options
    Nearly in tears at the end.

The celebrations ecstatic, I loved when the goal went in, the players accelerating towards Jacko.

I don't know what Powell's tactics were when I saw the team. I guessed if to stifle them and hit them late, if that worked.

It did, played a great high defensive solid disciplined bank of two fours (even Green who got quite a few tackles in).

Great tactics, great substitutions, best team won. QPR poor.

Special praise to the centre backs, Cousins, Wilson, Church (didn't stop hassling them), Jacko obviously and that tackle by Poyet near the end was Parkeresque outstanding.
  • Options
    That was delicious
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Without reading this thread I can't remember the last time I celebrated a goal like that. Defended well in the first 45 and played with real guts and determination in the 2nd 45. Got to love jacko. Onwards and UPWARDS. We are staying up! COYA
  • Options
    echo that said above, grabbed my lad when I saw him jumping up & down.

nothing in the game, you wouldn't have known the respective league positions and I think Thuram had 1 save to make.

couldn't belive Adjarevic didn't start but CP got his subs spot on today and that is the craic of being a manager.

Poyet & Cousins in the middle were great and when Adjarevic did come on, he seemed to have a calming influence on us & the game.

the poor 1-0 the poncy moneybags.
  • Options
    Great win, great result. Well played the boys. Danny green I'm sorry fella you are league one at best.
  • Options
    Great result, QPR had a lot of possession but never caused us too many problems and the winner at the end was perfect. We needed that onwards and upwards
  • Options
    Absolutely awesome, onwards and upwards.
    I hope the fans are not out to destroy Thuram for not dealing with a crap pass back.
    He was made up at the end and I am not a fan of Hamer anyway.
  • Options
    Felt like we'd just gone through to the next round of the cup.
  • Options
    today is why we go footie with our kids
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Yipee i a
    Yipee i o.

Brilliant !

I agree with what has already been said.

Powell brought his subs on after 60m instead of 70m, like nearly everyone has been saying all season & it worked.

We'll never know for sure, but I reckon QPR were at their most threatening on 60m & would have taken the lead before 70m.

I think the subs won us the game, we'd have otherwise lost.

Although tbf to Powell it helped massively to be able to bring on AA & Tudgay instead of let's say Sordell & Pritchard.

PS Great to have random people hugging you when the goal went in. That hasn't happened for a while :-)
  • Options
    Hugging my boy when Jacko scored and again at the final whistle was the most emotional I've been at football since '98 I think.

Given what's at stake, and the outpouring of relief at the goal, it was just a beautiful moment. So yes I agree, days like today are why we go to football with our kids!
  • Options
    raw emotion real primeval shit a last min winner
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Have had a quick read through some of the comments on here but my thoughts on some things today:

Yohann Thuram... People need to lay off this guy... His kicking is terrible but its still a lot better than Kiely's and felt that the criticism from the fans today was the most embarrassing thing I've ever heard, really do like his distribution as he's the complete opposite to Ben Hamer in terms of getting the ball out and getting us on the counter-attack (something we never do with Ben which everyone moans about...)

Danny Green... He's too much of a selfish player (e.g. 30-yard conversion) but for me he was in the side over Ajdarevic today because he's a bit faster (i.e. to counter the wing play from QPR) - Although saying that having him on the pitch did help add a bit of balance to our Midfield

Diego Poyet... Class young player gonna enjoy watching him and Cousins in the middle for the rest of the season at least hopefully

Church / Reza... Dont think this is a partnership that should play too often but understood why Powell chose them... We were only ever really gonna get at QPR on the counter-attack so for that to work we needed our fastest Strikers on the pitch, of course once Dunne got tired we could bring on the likes of Tudgay and Ajdarevic to pass the ball round him
  • Options
    Great performance, everyone worked hard for that. Men of the match for me today were the centre backs. Morrison and Dervite gave them nothing - back bass excepting. Very good game from Wilson too. As many have said Poyet and Cousins will make a great pairing in the middle whilst Astrit looked class. It didn't work for Reza and Church today, but I still wouldn't write them off as a pairing. I think the biggest problem they had today was that Onucha beat Church every time, but lets face it we're not going to play against someone as good as him every week. It was interesting that when Tudguy came on our strikers swapped sides, was that tactical or just a matter of Tudguy's preference?

Celebrations at the end were fantastic. As NLA said, that's why we go.

On a non-footballing point, I see we had a very alliterative side today: JJ, MM, DD, and AA. I hope he finds space for Piotr Parzyszek and Ade Azeez soon ;-)
  • Options
    What a great feeling to see Charlton win. My normally quite reserved son went batshit bananas three times when the skippers goal went in - first as it hit the net, then as he realised it wasn’t being disallowed for something and finally as that joyous celebration erupted on and off the pitch. Coming out of the ground at the end, I had to laugh at a group of men just hugging and one of them shouting loudly about getting into Europe!

The first half was not exactly a classic. QPR had a lot of possession and played some nice triangles but they didn’t have an end product and the double post-hitting was the closest we came to a goal in a pretty sterile encounter.

Second half, I thought we were immense. The defence were especially strong and we played some very good football, ramping up the pressure on QPR and getting our very just rewards at the death.

Of the team:

Thuram made one very good save near the end but he very nearly gifted them a goal with that pathetic pass out. Although I didn’t like our own crowd taking the piss out of him, I also hope that Hamer gets back in soon.

Defence, especially Morro and Wilson, were fantastic. Great to get Wiggins back and, although he was not as good as usual, with some of his passing going astray, we look a lot better with him than without.

Green looks bereft of confidence but at least put himself about and got some important blocks in. Poyet and Cousins in the centre were excellent. Jacko looked very leggy playing LM in the first half but seemed to get stronger as the game wore on, and especially when CP reverted to the diamond. Astrid is sheer class - I was surprised that he didn’t start and the impact he made when he came on suggests that he feels the same way.

Church was his typical self - not a hint of goal threat but there were times in the second half when he ran the defenders down to the extent that they hoofed it out and conceded possession to us when we were trying to up the pressure. Reza was a bit disappointing but I thought Tudgay also had a very positive impact - quick feet, sees the pass, finds space. Will be a good acquisition. Whatever is going on with Polish Pete though? Not even on the bench.

CP set his team up well and made bold substitutions. In my opinion he has deserved some of the criticism (but not the vitriol) aimed at him for this in recent weeks but today he got it right and let’s hope he learns from the positive outcomes too.

Winning is a very good feeling, for everyone. We have not yet had, this season, a run of consecutive wins and we are due one. Leicester next week is a very tough ask but if we play as we did today we have a chance - even without Yann! COYAs!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    QPR played like the bunch of mercenaries that they are. No passion or real committment. Even in the first half Morrison was waving his arms around at the ref getting pissed off because Jordan, Diego and the rest weren't buying his tricks. He faded in the second half whereas our players got stronger and stronger and played as a team. Bringing on Harriott at the death was Powell's masterstroke way of telling everyone 'we can win this, not just settle for a draw.' 'Arry hadn't a clue what to do, just twitched.
  • Options
    I believe Reza had flu last week. Perhaps that's why he didn't look as energetic today as he did in the Brum game.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I thought it was a blessing in disguise missing that first half chance - as we would have sat back too much i'm sure and probably would have got a point at best out of it. Wanted a late goal that wouldn't give us time to enter the siege mentality. Having said that, what did QPR create? - for a team that cost so much, they were very poor. Austin is clearly a more important player to them than he should be with their resources.

The other main thoughts are - We are better off with Hamer in goal. WIlson was immense, we miss Wiggins when he isn't there, What a couple of gems we have in Poyet and Cousins, AA definitely improves us, Harrriot showed last season's form in that brief cameo, Tudgay fits us well and never write the captain off. And a word for Chrissy, made subs at right time for me - didn't think about it for another 10 -15 minutes, which he can sometimes do.
  • Options
    I dont think I've seen anyone else put this but...

Wonder how much todays performance is down to the news that Powell is having discussions about a new Contract