Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v QPR Post-match Views 2014

Comments

• Options
    A delight to watch on good internet stream. Positive subs made the difference. Harriot put the fear of God into them. QPR were starting to camp in our half before he came on. It sent out the message that we were not just trying to hang on for a point. Hope he can feature more from now on. Still pumping too many high balls into forwards at times, need to adapt now that Yann has gone. The future is bright if we can stay up.
  • Options
    cheers steve, she is bang in love with cafc and can not wait till the next game, shame Mondays is more than 45 mins away or she would be there believe me,

I think she enjoyed watching your joe and the boys playing bottle football as much as the day
  • Options
    had not celebrated a goal like that since martin pringles goal against newcastle to make it 2 2. epic epic win..ravel had more tricks then paul daniels but worthless without an end product. we are staying up....
  • Options

had not celebrated a goal like that since martin pringles goal against newcastle to make it 2 2. epic epic win..ravel had more tricks then paul daniels but worthless without an end product. we are staying up....

And that ended a losing streak as well
  • Options
    What an awesome finish - credit the boys for playing to the very end. AA made the difference with CH having an impact. Two things I've been pondering... How do we keep the ball in midfield better (been a problem for years) and how do we up our goal threat... Solve those and we'll be safe. Positive subs make such a difference. Great to see us go toe to toe. I said it earlier in the season, that, it's worth going for 3 instead of protecting 1 - well done CP for giving us a lift.. Please don't do the opposite on Monday! :-) COYA!!
  • Options
    A hard fought win:-) brilliant end to the game and the potential is there to see.
    The first two substitutions gave us the threat going forward that we had rather lacked and then Harriott gave us a bit more.
    Great result for Powell and the team, fully deserved. That one will stay in the memory.
    :-)
  • Options
    Couldn't attend due to family emergency, sounds like a classic match, typical eh, perhaps all we need is a no nonsense right winger with pace, not sure swp is that player tho.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    and besides all of yesterdays fanasticness i had to sit next to the fittest bird ever seen in the covered end, block L upper north, blonde. Superb.
  • Options
    there was a cracking blonde up there pal , I caught sight of myself
  • Options
    Great win. Sounds like the celebrations were quite something! Had overtime at work so couldn't be there, but I'm going Sheffield tomorrow and we're gunna win, so will have a chance to catch up on some celebrating then.
  • Options
    Fair play to CP, as someone who has had doubts about the way he sets his teams up I have to say that I thought he set the team up well and made the right changes at the right time. It was good to see us leave an attacking threat on for the last 15 minutes instead of retreating behind the ball and trying to see the game out.

Thought the young CMs looked like experienced pros and Astrid looks like he could be the playmaker we've needed for a few years.

Have to give massive credit to Lawrie Wilson, he was up against a very good player in Traore and did brilliantly to contain him despite being left 1 on 1 more often than not.

Tudgay looked a biy Yann like when he came on, so I can imagine him holding up the ball and linking up play nicely but not being particularly prolific.

Was disappointed in Danny Green, if your a winger with no pace in this league you need to make up for that with intelligence. Sadly he seems to be going backwards in this respect and struggles to find the right positions or pick the right option. Still think it was the right decision to start with a right winger but we desperately need another option out there.
  • Options
    Up until the subs I thought we were holding our own without looking like we were going to score.

The defence was very sound and JC & DP controlled the middle of the park - whilst QPR didn't play well I thought they were good at finding pockets of space but, when they did, we managed to close it down very quickly and get the necessary foot in to break up the attacks. We held our defensive shape extremely well so the coaching team should be commended for that. Green, shall we say, was struggling to identify his role.

Given that we were playing so defensively we desperately needed someone up front who could hold the ball - that wasn't happening because a) we were knocking it too high (Dunne was having a field day for 70 mins), and, b) Church and Reza both seemed to prefer the ball knocked forward on the floor.

I would have forgiven CP for thinking 'OK let's hold out for the 0-0' but he was brave and it worked. MT brought others into play well and AA has skill in abundance. Immediately we were able to push forward more effectively and QPR couldn't cope. The gamble was duly rewarded in spectacular fashion - what a rush!

A few thoughts coming out of the game:

- we've got enough to stay up and I think we will

- I hope CP sticks with it - not only does he have the obvious pressure of a relegation fight but he is coping with high levels of change within the club - our owner is not conventional (and I mean that in a good way) and, rightly, thinks longer tem whereas CP, rightly, is 95% focused on staying up so both could be thinking that the other 'doesn't talk their language' . The pressure on Chris is obvious but I believe that, if he and RD can get through to the end of the season with a good result for both, then they will forge a very strong partnership.

- We need Diego Poyet to sign a new contract (no shit Sherlock!). If it helps us keep him then great, but at least if he goes we will get a decent fee - he must be attracting loads of top club interest at the moment and may well get his dream offer in the summer. If that happens I would hate for us to just get some sort of development fee for him.

- The 'best team' is emerging (not sure about Hamer vs Thuram). How can we drop DP, JC, AA & JJ from the midfield yet we know we need a right midfielder? 4-5-1 with MT up top? 4-4-2 keeping it tight then bringing AA on as an impact sub? Will be interesting to see how CP solves that one.

• Options
    Have taken a little time for yesterday to sink in...still smiling though. Jumping for joy and screaming like a demented fool when JJ got his head on that ball at the end and hugging my dad and even Guinness!

Diego Poyet is just superb. Such a cool and calm head on him. He makes it seem effortless and THAT tackle ahead of the brilliant Astrit shot/Green save was immense! As for what happened from the resulting corner...

I thought Wiggins was a little below par, although his par is better than most. The stick to Thuram is unwarranted. The back pass from Dorian was poor. I know he was probably worried about the pitch, but it was too hard and on target. I thought he was fortunate gathering the ball that popped up off Ravel's foot, but watching back this morning he actually covered his goal well and that's what made it look easy.

Solid performance from the rest of the team, although we all know we are light up front (neither Church or Reza is going to get much change going shoulder to shoulder with Dunne!) Another great shift from Wilson and Cousins - he definitely looked upset when AA came on and told him to push wide, but got on with it straight away.

Astrit & Marcus looked good when they came on and the timing - 60th minute rather than 70th - gave them time to make an impact. I actually think AA labours a little after a run or two and perhaps it's just a fitness thing before we see him get 90 minutes. Both got involved with some good inter-play and a great shot from Astrit that Green brilliantly turned round the post.

I thought QPR were actually quite poor and I wasn't much more impressed with them at theirs. They certainly miss Austin and Barton. Thought Onuoha should have been booked for diving and Doyle didn't get a sniff all game. For a team that should be comfortable in the lower Prem...they're just not playing with the spirit that Powell & Jackson embody in our team!

Delighted to be one of the thousands of smiling faces walking up Floyd Road! Roll on tomorrow night. COYR!!
  • Options
    Let's be real - as Airman says there were two games to think about. I imagine that the side that was playing after an hour was closer to the first choice XI than the one that played up until then, but that shows just how well Powell did. We'll have a fresher AA on Monday than we would otherwise have had, and we now know Tudgay will slot right in.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

Let's be real - as Airman says there were two games to think about. I imagine that the side that was playing after an hour was closer to the first choice XI than the one that played up until then, but that shows just how well Powell did. We'll have a fresher AA on Monday than we would otherwise have had, and we now know Tudgay will slot right in.

But not on monday

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    The scenes of celebrations when we scored was something that will stick with me for a very long time, me jumping up and down like a lunatic turning round to see my dad hugging a random like they'd just got married. Brilliant all round
  • Options
    Just watched the football league show. Did anyone else think chris looked like he had tears in his eyes at the end?
  • Options
    the bench went mental, some of them (I'm not sure who) ran down the line and were hugging each other, would love to have seen more closely their celebrations.
  • Options
    Also would love to have looked at thuram's reaction, he must have been made up, but suffice to say i didn't know where to look i was just jumping around hugging anyone and everyone
  • Options
    Can't add anything that hasn't already been said really other than it was a 100% deserved win. We embodied everything that QPR lacked in that game.

Emotions were certainly running high at the end. Hugged the bloke and his son in front during the mental celebrations. Can't say I've ever done that before in all the years of watching us.

Hard to pick a MOM but Poyet probably nicks it. All three subs were expertly utilised and played a massive part in the goal. Oh and people need to lay off Thuram. He's nowhere near as bad as people are making out. The ironic cheers and the Hamer song were just moronic.
  • Options

Like many others here, I think CP was spot on with the timing of subs yesterday, but I ask myself the question: would he have made them at that point if we didn't have a game to play on Monday? I'm not too sure, but hopefully this will have been a eureka moment for him and will learn from it. It's no good bringing on players like AA or Tudgay with 5 mins to go, giving them no time to get into the game.

I've watched JJ's goal countless times and still can't work out how it went in from such an acute angle. So bloody glad it did though.

To spend 90 mins harbouring one thought "If we can hang on, it'll be a great point" then for Johnny on the spot to come up with the goods so late on is the stuff that reminds us why we love this game and appreciate these sort of results far more than any plastic Chelsea fan could ever imagine............................

Funny you should mention the plastic Chelsea fan thing. A couple of guys were there, day trippers sitting in front of me, and one of them kept taking photos with an iPhone... In a Chelsea case.
  • Options
    Its nice to see that everyone even on ITTV saying well done and good work to powell.

I have wanted powell to go with the best of them but only because of results and bad tactics and substitutions.

People have said there are underlying issues that people just hate powell and i think last night showed that everyone does like CP they just get frustrated when he gets things wrong.

I would love powell to carry on and manage like he did today, good subs which change the game and good timing of them also.

I hope he learns from this and become a better manager, but i just hope everyone who thinks the 'powell out brigade' just hate him realise that they dont and just wished hed do things differently sometimes but when he does something right, they praise him and say well done he got it right!

• Options

and besides all of yesterdays fanasticness i had to sit next to the fittest bird ever seen in the covered end, block L upper north, blonde. Superb.

Sounds like one of mine mate
  • Options
    Confession time. In the moments between the goal and the final whistle, so pumped and all that, inside I was still thinking that at least we will get a point, we ain't gonna lose.
    Even at that moment it was agony hoping we could hang on for the win.