Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v QPR Post-match Views 2014

Comments

• Options
    Addick90 said:

Also would love to have looked at thuram's reaction, he must have been made up, but suffice to say i didn't know where to look i was just jumping around hugging anyone and everyone</blockquote

Pretty sure I saw him on his knees with his arms in the air.

• Options
    They should have kept hold of Taraabt, can anyone tell me why a championship player is playing for and scoring for AC Milan on loan?
  • Options

I almost can't remember the last time I got this excited during a game (perhaps our 4-0 home win against West Ham in February 2007). Of course it is not our first victory this season but it is the first time that I've seen us win, live, with my own eyes, for a long long time. And I'm so glad I can finally really participate in the post-match views thread.

I think we were definitely the better side despite we had less possession. Well, I'd say so even if we'd got just a 0-0 draw. We didn't play too badly in the first half and we totally shined in the second half, especially the last 25 minutes. I loved almost everyone in the team. Needless to say JJ has always been one of my favourite players, while Wilson and Wiggins have become my new favourites after this game. Everyone else played really well, too. The only position I do worry about now is our goal-keeper. Thuram made one good save but he almost cost us 3 points with the mistake in the second half - I think you all know what I'm talking about. In hindsight, maybe hitting both posts in the 13th minute was a blessing in disguise - QPR would've pushed harder if they'd fallen behind early on. But then again, they were so so poor in front of the goal throughout the game.

Overall a tremendous effort by the whole team and I'm confident to say that we'll stay up as long as the players keep this level of hard work in every remaining fixture. IF, we manage to stay up AND get past the two Sheffield teams in the cup, I think this season could be considered as a success. It was quite emotional to see SCP sitting on the bench alone and quietly for at least half a minute in the end. I sincerely hope this victory is going to be our turning point of the season. COME ON YOU REDS!!!!!

By the way, Churchy's performance was a bit disappointing but it did remind me of the thread about him being a winger. Not saying his crosses are great but he's definitely got the pace. He doesn't seem to get his next goal any time soon so maybe we can benefit from playing him wide? - erm, just a humble thought. I could be totally wrong considering I've seen only two games this season.

SO pleased you were able to "be with us" yesterday, Jessie ! The lads must have known though & turned up the heat at the end with you in mind !

Loads of "likes" on here too ! Shows just how much it means to have you on board.

xx

• Options
    was RD at the match yesterday?
  • Options
    Really proud at how the lads applied them self

Powell got it spot on, Early and positive changes that where decisive in the game

Marcus made a telling contribution and was very mature with his play

Astrid Changed the game, His pin point passing, he wanted the ball, it gave the boys a lift, he was outstanding QPR coudn't handle him

And Callum got involved as well

Proud day for Charlton Fans
  • Options
    The final 11 players on the pitch should be the default starting 11 except Church and maybe thuram. Going bonkers when jj got the goal was extra ecstatic as it seemed so dramatic and nothing less than we deserved. Jackson has a habit of changing the result even at Ipswich he made the difference. That was his best game for some time and he seemed fitter. They all worked their socks off and the only concern I would have is the chances and the goal came from midfielders and not the strikers ( as they have for the last five years). Our midfield won the battle yesterday and cousins and poyet are real dynamos that can consolidate their places if they continue to work hard.The main weakness is the strikeforce. Church just does not have the strength, confidence and fight to hold the ball and distribute or shoot and this polish guy should have a chance to shine because other than running at the opposition (which is important enough) he really made no impact. Church should not be starting. I feel for him as he works hard but does not cut it and others should be given a chance. Powell's weakness is not being given/chosing a decent striker. His strength is creating a solid united team that work hard for each other.
  • Options
    Posting without reading so apologies if been said before. For various reasons, first time l've been able to get to a game since Brighton so l was keen to see the new players for myself and see how they matched up to the valuable insights I've read on CL.

Saw a lot that l liked which spoke to a good spirit within the team - Thuram's hugs, the excellent defending; Ajdarevic and Reza's commitment; Jackson talking Poyet and Cousins through the game; Poyet's crunching 'Steve Brown' tackle to set up the shot - for the save - for the corner - for the goal; even Cousins having a bit of a tizz when told he had to move to the right when Green went off. Favourite moment though (apart from the goal, obvs) was probably Jacko signalling he was too knackered to run across to take the corner that he scored from. Top decision. Everything after that was a bit of a blur, to be honest...
  • Options
    Happy, happy, happy great result even if the last minute or so gave me a Arry twitch! Just wanted to say that despite not rating Church his reaction to the goal, running off the bench and up the pitch proves he is totally commited he went right up in my estimation. But well done all the boys lets hope this is the start of the revival.
  • Options
    Was that what Jacko signalled or do we think they had rehearsed that corner move in training and they were signalling that? It was a superb delivery from AA - watch the vid and see how high it was at the near post, then dipped suddenly right on the spot for JJ.
  • Options
    AA took two or three corners, they were very testing for their defenders, better than any that Green takes bless him, especially as Green tries to score from every corner he takes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Typical! Missed three home games this season, two being this and Brighton (thankfully Millwall was the other one) Lent my Villa-supporting old man my ticket and at least he enjoyed jumping up and down with the rest! He's something of a good luck charm for us over the last few seasons...might have to buy him a few match tickets between now and May :-)
  • Options
    Vital 3 points against a team of individuals. Anything can happen in this league. Well done the lads.
  • Options

Posting without reading so apologies if been said before. For various reasons, first time l've been able to get to a game since Brighton so l was keen to see the new players for myself and see how they matched up to the valuable insights I've read on CL.

Saw a lot that l liked which spoke to a good spirit within the team - Thuram's hugs, the excellent defending; Ajdarevic and Reza's commitment; Jackson talking Poyet and Cousins through the game; Poyet's crunching 'Steve Brown' tackle to set up the shot - for the save - for the corner - for the goal; even Cousins having a bit of a tizz when told he had to move to the right when Green went off. Favourite moment though (apart from the goal, obvs) was probably Jacko signalling he was too knackered to run across to take the corner that he scored from. Top decision. Everything after that was a bit of a blur, to be honest...

Was that what Jacko signalled or do we think they had rehearsed that corner move in training and they were signalling that? It was a superb delivery from AA - watch the vid and see how high it was at the near post, then dipped suddenly right on the spot for JJ.

It's possible, Weegie - but my feeling is that it wasn't a signal as such, as Jacko made the 'sweeping flat palm down' gesture almost straight away, and I think Astrid was possibly still on his knees with his face in the turf when he did it! I could be wrong though.

• Options
    Did anyone else immediately think the goal would be disallowed? No justification for it, just we don't score last minute winners so there must be some reason to strike it off
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Did anyone else immediately think the goal would be disallowed? No justification for it, just we don't score last minute winners so there must be some reason to strike it off

I was in NW Quad, almost in line, and at first I thought it had missed - especially given the acute angle. Then it all went nuts - randoms hugging each other and all sorts. Reminded me of the Full Members Cup semi-final v Norwich at Selhurst when Ian Butterworth put through his own net in the last minute, sending us to Wembley. Crowd was about 12,000 lighter then though...

• Options
    edited February 2014

Got a last minute freebie to the Arsenal game today. Just completely embarrassed myself jumping up and down shouting Yesssssssss when news of our winner came through at a point where absolutely sod all was happening at the Emirates. Oh well, worth the embarrassment.

Can't believe a Charlton supporter would go to Arsenal instead :-(
    e

Am I reading this right?
    In London, supports Charlton, went to Arsenal instead. Thanks for dropping by with your Yesssssss, enjoy Munich take it Sheffield not on your agenda. See if you can make it to Wembley .

Totally unnecessary antagonistic comment. Just because I took a once in a blue moon to see a good friend who I have been unable to see for a while and to take in a premiership game for a change makes me neither a plastic nor any less of a supporter. I'll be at Leicester for what it's worth.

Oh, and just in case anybody cares, I found the arsenal experience enjoyable if a little sterile. The third goal was worth the considerable entrance fee alone. I wouldn't want to do it every week though. Bergkamp's statue looks nothing like him by the way.
  • Options
    Yesterday was one of those rare days which rewards loyal supporters (not followers) of a club such as Charlton.
    The Jacko goal was sweet justice, because it rewarded what was the most disciplined performance of the season and against a team that should be running away with this division.
    As others have said, it was a bit emotional at the end after what has been rollercoaster ride of a season so far. There are sure to be more twists and turns to come, so let's hope the players and supporters have the stomach for it. I for one am feeling a little queasy at the very prospect of what lies ahead!
  • Options
    Cracking performance from the boys yesterday. We were solid throughout and got into QPR's faces from the off never giving them any time to settle. Poyet was class yesterday so glad him in and Cousins were in the middle, a big well done to Powell for making that happen, also a well done for bringing on Asrit, he looked so calm on the ball and looked like he can make things happen, he may be the missing link we haven't had a while. Thought Morrison had his best game for a long time and it was nice to see Wiggins back too. I thought Jacko had a slow start in the game and drifted into the middle too much leaving us exposed on the wing, but the longer the game went on he began to get into with a few good tackles. Great goal in the end and great celebration. Nice to see Harriott come on and run at a few players, I know it wasn't long but hopefully us going on to win the game will do his confidence the world of good. Only disappointment for me was the front two, Reza looked very lightweight and was easily out muscled off the ball, hopefully he can adapt sooner rather then later and Church did his usual running around without looking a threat. All in all glad to get back to winning ways, long may it continue.

Oh yeah not to take anything away from our win but QPR were dogshit and Harry must be a poor manager, he should be pissing that league with the squad he has got.
  • Options

Got a last minute freebie to the Arsenal game today. Just completely embarrassed myself jumping up and down shouting Yesssssssss when news of our winner came through at a point where absolutely sod all was happening at the Emirates. Oh well, worth the embarrassment.

e

Am I reading this right?
    In London, supports Charlton, went to Arsenal instead. Thanks for dropping by with your Yesssssss, enjoy Munich take it Sheffield not on your agenda. See if you can make it to Wembley .

Totally unnecessary antagonistic comment. Just because I took a once in a blue moon to see a good friend who I have been unable to see for a while and to take in a premiership game for a change makes me neither a plastic nor any less of a supporter. I'll be at Leicester for what it's worth.

Oh, and just in case anybody cares, I found the arsenal experience enjoyable if a little sterile. The third goal was worth the considerable entrance fee alone. I wouldn't want to do it every week though. Bergkamp's statue looks nothing like him by the way.
    Surely it couldn't be worse that Michael Jackson's at The Cottage ???

• Options
    edited February 2014

e

Am I reading this right?

I don't wish to be rude, but no I don't care about your Arsenal experience.

PS I don't understand how Arsenal's 3rd goal was worth the considerable entrance fee, when it was a freebie ?

Anyway, don't bother to reply as I'd prefer a discussion about Charlton v QPR on the post match thread.

Apologies, no doubt I'm too touchy about Charlton fans going to Arsenal, but that's just me.

Anyway, back to the best Charlton moment for years .......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kap10 said:

To right Kap. I was certain it would be disallowed (watched on a stream btw).
  • Options
    Great post, morts !

On 90 minutes, remember saying to myself " Please don't break our hearts again" as QPR advanced on goal ...

And when JJ scored, I screamed my head off with tears rolling down my wrinkles & ended up with an almighty headache !!

Well worth it though !

I hear clumpy mascara is the "new look" ....

• Options
    edited February 2014

50% Staying up staying up staying up 50% Going down going down going down

Good to see you get a little more optimistic ;-)

I still reckon we will stay up and the team performance on Saturday only reinforces that for me.
  • Options
    I have been a football man for 60 years, I have seen so many great highlights over the years, but when that goal went in it created a memory that I will never forget. The Upper North went crazy, toal mayhem, two young lads grabbed me and we were jumping up like lunatics while I could feel my hat slipping over my eyes. So many highlights, the defence and midfield working so hard to make it difficult for QPR, Chris Powell making the right substitutions at the right time, and JJ captain extraordinaire. AA is total class, and you could see from his reactions that already he is proper Charlton. The rest of the season could just be a bit special.
  • Options
    There's a guy that sits 3 or 4 rows in front of us who goes early most games & as usual he left with 5 mins left, just wonder how he is feeling now.

For me I have never grabbed as many random people in my life when that goal went in, I am now an old man but it made me feel like when I was a teenager.

Thanks boys.
  • Options

There's a guy that sits 3 or 4 rows in front of us who goes early most games & as usual he left with 5 mins left, just wonder how he is feeling now.

For me I have never grabbed as many random people in my life when that goal went in, I am now an old man but it made me feel like when I was a teenager.

Thanks boys.

I was wondering just how many were left in the ground for the goal. I thought that we had every chance of a goal for the final 20 minutes and will never understand anyone leaving early in those circumstances. They will continue to leave early despite missing out on such an emotional experience.

I left early by choice on one occasion when we rolled over against Arsenal at Selhurst and were 3-0 down.
  • Options
    Good to see that Simon Church mentioned on twitter the impact of the crowd. It seemed to me, sitting me in the East Stand, block G, so very close to the Covered End, that the crowd were willing the team to score in the last 20 minutes. I know it's easy to say in hindsight, but I could sense a goal was coming. But, man alive, the celebrations. The young fella in front of me fell over about three seats in sheer joy. I may have even had a little dance with him.