Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fans treatment of Thurman

Comments

• Options
    Jeering your own keeper is counter-productive for starters... every chance that it causes more errors and uncertainty during the game. And while the clean sheet was down to Rs fluffing their lines, it was a clean sheet nonetheless.

He's not convincing, and while THAT back pass was a shocker, he dealt with it badly. But let's remember, Hamer has been dodgy too, and in similar circumstances yesterday he'd have been more likely to clatter into the forward (possibly what the guy was expecting), rather than let him run the ball out.

As for whether he will come good, yep maybe. And hopefully so will Pope (1 goal conceded in 4 games). But for Monday, I'd go with Hamer, just..
  • Options

At the match, from the north upper, the save was brilliant.

The replay shows that it wasn't actually as good... It was routine.

From comments regarding the save, I can tell who was at the game and who was watching the link.

I was in the lower West stand and from where I was sat it looks as though the striker missed kicked it and it sat up nicely to be claimed. A couple of people around me who had previously been moaning about him said well what a save that was amazing.

Just goes to show we often see different things in different people

For what it's worth I think he will come good

• Options
    he never had time to boot it any where he had less than 2 seconds to make his mind up and within those 2 secs make the decision to take a touch or clear it over the on coming strikers head, yes being caught in 2 minds in that situation is not going to help and caused the mistake, Dervite had ages to make a decision on what to do, he failed to make a decision in that time and forced the problem to his goalie
  • Options
    cafctom said:

I'm terrified by what I have seen of him so far. Its easy to keep a clean sheet when the other team has 0 shots on target.

He may 'come good' but based on his form when called upon, he hasn't shown anything to suggest he should be ahead of Hamer. If an outfield player was that bad, then there would be changes. Should be no different for goalkeepers.

As for that backpass - yes, it was a little heavy. Thuram still at fault though as he had enough time to control it and boot it absolutely anywhere but the feet of the attacker.

Your criticism of Powell on his choice of keeper has been noted.
    Any criticism of Powell starting with Green because he is an outfield player is worse than Thurman but Powell picks him based on what.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Vincent said:

I'm not persuaded by the keeper, having been at Wigan, but he had very little to do in that game yesterday. The save at the end was a routine claim if you want watch it on the TV. It certainly wasn't a great save - whereas you might say Green's at the other end, from AA, was. If the back pass was awkward then the save was nothing special either.

Hamer is also accident prone. I worry every time he drop-kicks the ball that he is going to give away a free-kick and he is vulnerable to long-range efforts, but I'd prefer him in the team at present.

RedChaser said:

Loads of over reaction here folks and shoot me down if you like. I have watched every minute Thuram has played in goal for us and he sends shivers down my spine every time the ball goes into the penalty area. Maybe chanting for Hamer was out of order but there are clearly a number of fans who feel the same way as me.

The guy is a loose cannon. Why on earth Hamer never started I will never know, and all you experts saying Dervites back pass was too firm or that it bobbled are talking crap. I've just watched it on Sky plus, it was a simple ball to deal with and he made a meal of it. The save everyone is raving about thereafter, please do me a favour, it popped up of their player and was a dive for the cameras but in all honesty bread and butter.

Seriously if the majority of you think he is better than Hamer then god help us in the remaining games if he gets the nod. Rant over.

Rant over was the only part of this that was worth reading
    Whereas we hang on your every word....
    Uboat said:

Vincent said:

I'm not persuaded by the keeper, having been at Wigan, but he had very little to do in that game yesterday. The save at the end was a routine claim if you want watch it on the TV. It certainly wasn't a great save - whereas you might say Green's at the other end, from AA, was. If the back pass was awkward then the save was nothing special either.

Hamer is also accident prone. I worry every time he drop-kicks the ball that he is going to give away a free-kick and he is vulnerable to long-range efforts, but I'd prefer him in the team at present.

RedChaser said:

Loads of over reaction here folks and shoot me down if you like. I have watched every minute Thuram has played in goal for us and he sends shivers down my spine every time the ball goes into the penalty area. Maybe chanting for Hamer was out of order but there are clearly a number of fans who feel the same way as me.

The guy is a loose cannon. Why on earth Hamer never started I will never know, and all you experts saying Dervites back pass was too firm or that it bobbled are talking crap. I've just watched it on Sky plus, it was a simple ball to deal with and he made a meal of it. The save everyone is raving about thereafter, please do me a favour, it popped up of their player and was a dive for the cameras but in all honesty bread and butter.

Seriously if the majority of you think he is better than Hamer then god help us in the remaining games if he gets the nod. Rant over.

Whereas we hang on your every word....
    Having seen some of your posts I would rather you ignore my views
  • Options

It was in bad taste. Really thought we were better than that.

Apart from Jackson and Hamer no other Charlton player had his name sung and I thought Morrison was outstanding as well as 1 or 2 others
  • Options
    Why pick on Uma? Great actress.
  • Options
    Whatever you might think of a player, to chant and jeer one of your own players is indefensible and to do anything that might affect his confidence is counter productive.
  • Options

No-one was moaning about him when he produced that save at the end, and what a save it was, would of made in 0-1 and we would of lost instead of won

Didn't think QPR had a shot on target....according to BBC stats.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    The problem now is players won't wanna pass the ball back to him which put pressure on the defence, don't think he's made a save yet
  • Options
    he is the proverbial 'dodgy keeper' .. but it seems that Roland wants him in the team for some reason and that we're stuck with him .. I wish him good luck and good form
  • Options

No-one was moaning about him when he produced that save at the end, and what a save it was, would of made in 0-1 and we would of lost instead of won

You can't have had a very good view of this. As Boycott would say, my 80 year old mum could have saved that.
  • Options
    Vincent said:

It was in bad taste. Really thought we were better than that.

Apart from Jackson and Hamer no other Charlton player had his name sung and I thought Morrison was outstanding as well as 1 or 2 others
    Hmm, the Wilson song also got an outing after he did that run back and dispossessed a QPR attacker. Though I really think we ought to do better for Wilson he had an excellent game yesterday.
    Aside from the Hamer song I thought the support was excellent yesterday and in the last 10-15 minutes was clearly lifting the team - and you could see that they cared by the celebrations at the goal and after final whistle
  • Options
    Today's Sunday Mirror has Thuram-Ullen in their team of the day.
    were they at the bar most of the game?
    Don't agree with the chanting, but we must play our best keeper.
    Hamer's mistakes are in over 100 games, but Thuram IMO 3 mistakes in 4 games. Can be costly!
  • Options
    Gumbo said:

The problem now is players won't wanna pass the ball back to him which put pressure on the defence, don't think he's made a save yet

Gumbo has got it in a nutshell , the defence having a keeper they are confident in to pass back to is a big part of the game and having seen that ineptness yesterday the fact they will be thinking twice about it can't be a good thing
  • Options
    It was shocking but I just get this feeling that he may end up being a good signing for us, let's give him a chance.
  • Options
    cafc-west said:

Why pick on Uma? Great actress.

I copyrighted that joke ;)
  • Options
    Difficult to judge from the home games I have seen - especially since Birmingham and QPR were hardly peppering our goal with lots of shots.

French teams obviously organise themselves differently at the back - so it is expected that there will be some problems at the start. I do remember a certain Fabien Barthez having his moments as well.

That said it is worth noting that in the warm ups Thuram does appear to have significantly quicker reaction and hand speed than Hamer - so I most definitely wouldn't write him off just yet.
  • Options
    I think it was more so aimed at Powell than Thuram himself. Fans don't trust him and I include myself in that. Hopefully we're proven wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another player written off from the majority after a tiny amount of games, would love to drag up the Wilson threads considering he's been our player of the season this year.

Give the guy time, he's been thrown in a bit quickly due to injuries/sales and hasn't had time to adapt to a new defensive and an awful pitch.

People shouting for Hamer were probably the same ones that would give him stick whenever he was in goal, short memories?
  • Options
    Half those lot singing Ben Hamer's name were probably the ones blaming him for everything when he was playing.
  • Options
    In my opinion Thuram in that situation should have out his foot through it, it was a poor back pass sure but better safe then sorry, both were wreckless. Seen the replays and it wasn't a great save and I think it was poor control rather than a shot.

As someone else said on here, easy to keep a clean sheet when the opposition get 0 shots on target, his distribution is quite poor sadly.

Having said that Hamer chant was in bad taste and Thuram seems to be keen for it and Hamer needs to learn he isn't default number 1
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Vincent said:

RedChaser said:

You really are aren't you @Vincent, how was a 1-0 win for you? loads of goals to win games and stay up my a*se, regret disrespecting Tudgay's signing on another thread do we? And you said Jackson has no future with us ha ha ha ha, as Del Boy would say what a plonker.
  • Options
    Gumbo is bang on the money, he does not inspire confidence at all.

If Hamer is fit he has to play
  • Options
    This thread has me feeling quite uncomfortable, and I only got to page 2 before I had to stop reading it. I think its a statement of fact that this keeper is not very good, we have seen sufficient from him now, and the only reason we kept a clean sheet yesterday was that QPR had no shots on target.

What had me feeling uncomfortable was the quality of arguement being put forward as a defence - "at least he is a character" - Hamers name was only sung because we havent a song for this keeper - and at least he isnt a nutter like that keeper that did the scorpion kick.

My view is that Hamers name was sung in support of OUR player who is the better keeper and if based purely on a footballing decision should be starting games if fit. The scorpion kick refers to England v Columbia in a friendly at Wembley around Sept 1995 which I was at - the only reason that keeper did the scorpion kick was because the whistle had clearly gone and he knew that the ball was dead and therefore showboated - when shown on TV now it is never pointed out that the whistle had gone and they try and imply play was live when he did it.

Carl Leaburn played for us for 10 years, was player of the year in 1994 (which always seems to get forgotton) and yet whenever his name gets mentioned people still to this day will criticise a player whom deserves our thanks and support for his service to Charlton during some very difficult times when the club massively overachieved spending 4 years in the top division in exile at Selhurst. And yet a player who has done nothing to inspire anything positive at all other than than saves which I would regard as routine for a Championship level keeper is being defended way beyond what is justified. I hope to be proved wrong, but my fear is that this keeper will cot us point this season, and am surprised there are not more posts expressing this concern, and questioning why he starts ahead of Alnwick and Hamer when I believe it is a statement of fact that they are both the better keepers.
  • Options
    ^ Hamer has only just got back to fitness. Thuram is yet to start over either 'keeper when they've been at 100%.
  • Options

^ Hamer has only just got back to fitness. Thuram is yet to start over either 'keeper when they've been at 100%.

Hamer played 90 mins for U21's, and was on the bench yesterday. Ben Alnwick had nothing serious wrong with him and was booted out the back door, Thuram is not playing because of injuries to keepers, trust me on that

• Options
    He is the sort of keeper that will throw himself in front of anything and anyone. The type to make wonder saves without even realising it. They are the keepers you want. He will come good and I can bet you the fans will take to him when he keeps Wendys out and makes incredible saves at Millwall.
  • Options
    I'll have whatever MSE7 is on (unless he is fantasising).