Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fans treatment of Thurman

Comments

• Options
    RedChaser said:

Vincent said:

I'm not persuaded by the keeper, having been at Wigan, but he had very little to do in that game yesterday. The save at the end was a routine claim if you want watch it on the TV. It certainly wasn't a great save - whereas you might say Green's at the other end, from AA, was. If the back pass was awkward then the save was nothing special either.

Hamer is also accident prone. I worry every time he drop-kicks the ball that he is going to give away a free-kick and he is vulnerable to long-range efforts, but I'd prefer him in the team at present.

RedChaser said:

Loads of over reaction here folks and shoot me down if you like. I have watched every minute Thuram has played in goal for us and he sends shivers down my spine every time the ball goes into the penalty area. Maybe chanting for Hamer was out of order but there are clearly a number of fans who feel the same way as me.

The guy is a loose cannon. Why on earth Hamer never started I will never know, and all you experts saying Dervites back pass was too firm or that it bobbled are talking crap. I've just watched it on Sky plus, it was a simple ball to deal with and he made a meal of it. The save everyone is raving about thereafter, please do me a favour, it popped up of their player and was a dive for the cameras but in all honesty bread and butter.

Seriously if the majority of you think he is better than Hamer then god help us in the remaining games if he gets the nod. Rant over.

Rant over was the only part of this that was worth reading
    You really are aren't you @Vincent, how was a 1-0 win for you? loads of goals to win games and stay up my a*se, regret disrespecting Tudgay's signing on another thread do we? And you said Jackson has no future with us ha ha ha ha, as Del Boy would say what a plonker.
    I predicted the win before the game yesterday on the cricket score thread
    Too gay will not be the answer to our prayers but time will tell
    How long does J J have left on his contract.
    Now I have to be careful with my reply to Del Boy and Plonker because you are only a boy dipping your toe into a mans world but be careful not all are as kind as me
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Deary me you have no idea, think I'll do a Henry and file you in the ignore category. Good luck with the rest of the forum members because you'll need it.
  • Options
    When was this amazing save everyone talks of though?
  • Options
    Mate he done a Cartwheel save whilst playing out in france. The blokes played for Monaco. They are a TOP team. Champions league quality. I think some people need to realise that.....He must have some class about him.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Deary me you have no idea, think I'll do a Henry and file you in the ignore category. Good luck with the rest of the forum members because you'll need it.

No lose and no lose
  • Options
    He has to be a decent keeper - so we ought to give him a chance and accept that he may also be a little eccentric. I would like to see Hamer return between the sticks however. Maybe tomorrow we will need an inspirational keeping performance though and Thuram may have this sort of thing in his locker - we shall see.
  • Options
    For gods sake we have a keeper in Hamer who will get better and better being pushed by Thuram will do him some good but both are good keeps so keep it reel.
  • Options
    Vincent said:

For gods sake we have a keeper in Hamer who will get better and better being pushed by Thuram will do him some good but both are good keeps so keep it reel.

Do you mean 'real' or are you so hell bent on fishing you WUM?.......Just couldn't resist it, back to ignore mode.
  • Options
    Real the scotch is beginning to take hold
    Glad to hear you are back to ignore mode
  • Options

No-one was moaning about him when he produced that save at the end, and what a save it was, would of made in 0-1 and we would of lost instead of won

I was, his positioning was diabolical for it, any half decent keeper would have just had to catch it simply. He's a bit eccentric, which if we're doing alright is fine, if we're struggling we can't afford to have him there. Honestly can't remember seeing a keeper who I worry about as much as him
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    he made the mirror team of the day! he must be good ;)
  • Options

No-one was moaning about him when he produced that save at the end, and what a save it was, would of made in 0-1 and we would of lost instead of won

I was, his positioning was diabolical for it, any half decent keeper would have just had to catch it simply. He's a bit eccentric, which if we're doing alright is fine, if we're struggling we can't afford to have him there. Honestly can't remember seeing a keeper who I worry about as much as him
    Are you a goalkeeper coach.
    Not seen many keepers if you think he is the worse
  • Options
    Vincent said:

No but I have seen every keeper we've had since Bob Bolder, name me 1 in that time that's worse? Possibly Amman, but I'd say he was better. That save was right out of the Sylvester Stallone school of goal keeping, what was he doing across the other side of the goal? Whatever happens I want him to do well but he's not as good as what we've already got
  • Options
    Think u all forget both 1st and 2nd choice keepers were out when he
    Had to step straight in? Who would have we have had between the sticks?
    Exactly
    He is getting better every game! I think?
  • Options

Vincent said:

No but I have seen every keeper we've had since Bob Bolder, name me 1 in that time that's worse? Possibly Amman, but I'd say he was better. That save was right out of the Sylvester Stallone school of goal keeping, what was he doing across the other side of the goal? Whatever happens I want him to do well but he's not as good as what we've already got
    Hard to compare him to any of our keepers in the prem or Div 1 years. Not as good as Robbie Elliot? Nicky Weaver? Not sure and as for Hamer I maintain he is going to be a top keeper he has many years ahead and he will improve. As for the here and now Thuram has played nowhere near enough games to make judgement but my gut feeling is he can do a job at this level and the New Den is the right place to get an idea what he is about
  • Options
    Vincent said:

RedChaser said:

No lose and no lose
    Vincent, your problem is that you're too stupid to realise that you're a moron.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Vincent said:

RedChaser said:

No lose and no lose
    Vincent, your problem is that you're too stupid to realise that you're a moron.
    Please rearrange life get a twat you
  • Options
    Love a bit of banter
    Fisticuffs at dawn
  • Options
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Wilson song is just as bad. I f*cking hate it.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I make it a rule never to boo a Charlton player, no matter what I might say about them in the pub after the game. It can only be counter productive. I remember the disgraceful heckling of Kim Grant in the early nineties and hope never to hear anything like that again. The problem is, I think, that Thuram has a style which is alien to our traditional view of good goalkeeping. Physically he is not imposing, he doesn't command his area, he doesn't like to catch, he would rather use his fists and feet than his hands. Those who have only so far seen him at home matches (having to deal with a total of four shots on target in two games) have yet to witness the full effect of this but this clip will give you an idea (count the catches!)http://youtu.be/xsnWHRCKN2U . This is how it was at Wigan, Thuram hurling himself at shots and beating them out with punches and kicks. It looks clumsy. It does not look like safe goalkeeping. It might work in the French League but, just on the evidence of the Youtube clip (which is presumably his good bits), the number of times he knocks the ball back into play looks ominous. I really hope that if he is to remain our first choice keeper this season, there is more substance to his style than meets the eye, that he has perfected it into a really effective method of goalkeeping. But I'm not holding my breath. (It looks like he might be handy in a penalty shoot-out though!)
  • Options
    All the time he's wearing the charlton shirt ill get behind him but he does make Bernard Lama look top draw.im not hamers biggest fan but out of the 2 I'd give hamer the nod everyday of the week this keeper has cost us games already this season and im worried he will cost us more.
  • Options
    I think he breaks some technical rules, but he is a natural athlete that will get to balls others can't. The net result will be that he saves some he shouldn't and let some in he shouldn't. Taking the pros and cons into account - is he our best keeper? - he could be - it would be foolish to write him off.

I am of the mind that I would feel safer with Hamer in goal, but possibly if we were going to Old Trafford, I'd want Thuram as he probably has the wonder performance in his locker. If I was Powell sleeping on it - I might put Thuram in tomorrow!

• Options

^ Hamer has only just got back to fitness. Thuram is yet to start over either 'keeper when they've been at 100%.

Hamer played 90 mins for U21's, and was on the bench yesterday. Ben Alnwick had nothing serious wrong with him and was booted out the back door, Thuram is not playing because of injuries to keepers, trust me on that

Rumour doing the rounds that CAFC knew that Alnwick would require some 'personal time' in the not too distant future, so brought in a highly rated keeper from the network and shipped out BA to Orient.
  • Options
    If this were true why did Alnwick play at Doncaster ? It seems fairly clear what has happened, RD as per his stated intentions moving his assets around his clubs. In theory this makes sense but in this example it has weakened our strength in the goalkeeper position - Alnwick has now gone but I believe it is a statement of fact that Hamer is a better keeper than Thuram.
  • Options
    Clearly the sarcastic chants and Hamer song are going to do nothing for his confidence and offer no positives, however, that dosent detract from the fact he looks like a terrible keeper.

He kicking is woeful, he dosent like to come for the ball in the air and I havnt seen him make any worldy saves that tell me hes a shot stopper (no idea what 'save' people are talking about on this keep...if people are talking about morrisions mis-control that that statisticans didnt even bother to put down as an attempt he certainlty didnt win us three points there). In fact all he did was nearly turn the day compelety on its head with his pass to magia.

Support him while hes playing but the sooner hamer is back the better!
  • Options
    Nothing inappropriate at all in calling for Hamer
    Thuram just doesn't look like a goalkeeper - honestly he'd get it ripped out of him down at Park View Road or Princes Park he's that bad.
    Statistically he 'got a clean sheet' but that's cos QPR didn't shoot at goal once in 95 minutes - the preposterous tumbling 'save' was off (the equally awful) Ravel's shin and would barely have made it across the line anyway. He's been culpable for 2 or 3 goals conceded and he's only played 4 games before Saturday. If it walks like a duck, looks like a duck, quacks like a duck you gotta call it a duck however much you want it to be a goose - YTU don't look like a goalie
    If Hamer was fit enough for the bench why didn't he start?
    If YTU got injured in the opening minutes what was SCP gonna do? We ain't got Steve Brown anymore (YTU incidentally not fit to velcro SB's 'keeping gloves)
    2 explanations: SCP doesn't have a free hand picking the team or he and his staff had a group epi and thought an unfit Hamer on the bench was a good idea
  • Options
    Bill Stumps priceless "...I think, that Thuram has a style which is alien to our traditional view of good goalkeeping. Physically he is not imposing, he doesn't command his area, he doesn't like to catch, he would rather use his fists and feet than his hands..." Those attributes are alien to anybody's view of what makes a goalkeeper - they are quite specifically allowed to use their hands FFS
  • Options
    But, he can compensate for technical issues through speed and agility. We haven't seen much evidence, apart from on You Tube - but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case. Somethimes you have to take the rough with the smooth as it might be better than what you have. Not saying it is - but saying it still might be!