Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fans treatment of Thurman

Comments

• Options
    people are making their view on what they have seen and even if he does turn into Gordon Banks/Lev Yashins lovechild in the future it wont change the fact he's been jank in his first four games for us
  • Options
    Like the fact he wants to get the ball out quick
    Ok his kickings not great but Maybee he's used to playing out short from the back
    And he likes to punch rather than catch Maybee this is how he was coached??
  • Options
    I don't think he's been that bad, apart from the pass to their centre forward on sat and even then I blame Dervite for the shocking backpass.

Hamer's made far more mistakes
  • Options
    MSE7 said:

Mate he done a Cartwheel save whilst playing out in france. The blokes played for Monaco. They are a TOP team. Champions league quality. I think some people need to realise that.....He must have some class about him.

ha ha mate. im sitting at my desk trying to imagine what a cartwheel save looks like but i think im on your wavelength.

reminds me of sundays...."keeper, you got hands. fooking use em".

• Options

people are making their view on what they have seen and even if he does turn into Gordon Banks/Lev Yashins lovechild in the future it wont change the fact he's been jank in his first four games for us

You cannot disagree with that.
  • Options

Hamer's made far more mistakes

Well yes, but he's played a lot more games.
  • Options
    He looks like he'd rather take one in the two fruit and veg than he would catch the ball, strange really. The problem it has is the longer he's played the more opponents will pick up on him and target him on the lack of catching, if they are first onto the rebounds they could net for fun. I'd prefer Hamer in goal but if this guy gets some confidence, and a no nonsense approach aka leather the ball out for a throw if in trouble, he'd be ok
  • Options
    Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, would you please retire to consider your verdict.

But..........please don't make too much noise or you might disturb the vote-count for Hamer as FA CUP Man of the Round in the next room :)
  • Options
    Its as if Hamer needs that kick up the arse and competition. It happened last year as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I did try to point out the style of the game in the UK is fundamentally different to that experienced by Thurams' in playing only 2 seasons of senior football in Ligue 1 - Ligue 2

Hamer has had 6 seasons in senior football.

In terms of the style of football these are the statistics for Thurams' 2012/13 season
    Total Games 38 : Home - 19 : Away - 19
    Total Minutes Played 3420 : Home - 1710 : Away - 1710
    Goals Conceded 61 : Home - 24 : Away - 37
    Saves (Stops) 40 : Home - 22 : Away - 18
    Saves (Diversions) 101 : Home - 49 : Away - 52
    Fouls suffered 7 : Home - 4 : Away - 3

I have no idea how accurate these statistics are, but they do suggest the game is much more technical. The game in Ligue 1 is rarely played in the penalty area .

These statistics are for a goalkeeper playing for side in a relegation season during which he made circa 4 saves a game and in 38 games was fouled just 7 times!

In the Championship you get fouled 7 times a game. The championship is a very different experience.

Whether he will ultimately settle into the challenge I do not know, but he will need to develop his confidence and will need our support.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    I don't think the original post was ever about who is the better keeper, more the unnecessary chanting aimed at someone wearing a Charlton Shirt.
  • Options
    MSE7 said:

Mate he done a Cartwheel save whilst playing out in france. The blokes played for Monaco. They are a TOP team. Champions league quality. I think some people need to realise that.....He must have some class about him.

Played four games in three seasons for Monaco
  • Options
    My view is Thuram is probably better than he has shown in his first four games and given time would adapt to the English game but given our current situation we cannot afford to allow him to continue his football education in our first team.

Another point would be given that we currently have 6 loanees ( including Koc ) and putting Dillon Phillips on the bench might allow us room for another loanee in the match day squad.
  • Options
    Hamer for me.
  • Options
    The 'optics' are important, especially for a goalkeeper (ie. do they look credible, regardless of whether they are credible?).

However I don't think you get to play in the French top division and for the national U21 side unless you have something about you. He just hasn't shown it yet (and arguably hasn't been given much of an opportunity to do so).
  • Options
    I think he has been unfairly judged. I have only seen him in the two home games and have thought he has been not too bad. Expected the worst after hearing reports about him punching everything but can't remember him punching too much.
    He is a bit different to what we have had before but give him games and I think he will be fine.
    Let's remember although Hamer was great last night he has had his flappy moments in the past.
  • Options
    At the Wigan game he pulled off some superb blocks and saves. In the first half alone we would have been 3-1 down if not for him.

As for people moaning about him being eccentric, cast your mind back to illic, he used to chase the ball all the way to the corner flag.
  • Options
    Assume now that Thuram will get an extended run in the team - although I hope we continue to play Hamer. I stand by my earlier post that Thuram will cost us points, having already cost us the game at Middlesbrough with what should have been a routine save for a Championship level keeper.

Very unhappy with the above post calling Illic eccentric, a keeper whose introduction to the 1st team in Feb 1998 saw us storm to the Play Offs and The Prem with clean sheet after clean sheet and whose Prem career, as with Mendonca, was cruelly cut short by injury.

I have an uneasy feeling that playing Thuram will come to personify the RD philosophy and illustrate all that we now know to be wrong with the current owners philosophy about moving his "assets" around his collection of clubs

Lets hope Hamer does continue as our number 1 - becuase he is just that. But all those who have defended Thuram so strongly may now get to see an extended run with him in the first team.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Let's not treat Thuram too harshly if he is involved tonight, he's playing for Charlton after all and its not his fault Roland is forcing him upon us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Assume now that Thuram will get an extended run in the team - although I hope we continue to play Hamer. I stand by my earlier post that Thuram will cost us points, having already cost us the game at Middlesbrough with what should have been a routine save for a Championship level keeper.

Very unhappy with the above post calling Illic eccentric, a keeper whose introduction to the 1st team in Feb 1998 saw us storm to the Play Offs and The Prem with clean sheet after clean sheet and whose Prem career, as with Mendonca, was cruelly cut short by injury.

I have an uneasy feeling that playing Thuram will come to personify the RD philosophy and illustrate all that we now know to be wrong with the current owners philosophy about moving his "assets" around his collection of clubs

Lets hope Hamer does continue as our number 1 - becuase he is just that. But all those who have defended Thuram so strongly may now get to see an extended run with him in the first team.

Illic was great until the injury he got at Chelsea, wasn't the same after that.
  • Options
    I don't know about this.... Do we just cheer because they are wearing a Charlton shirt or do we voice our displeasure to try and get our best team playing?

Personally I don't know how to act when I know that our best players might not be allowed to play.... It's a very very strange situation.

What would you do for example if they put Cousins in goal. A player we all love, but the decision would be a ludicrous one, and the only way we would be able to get that across is by making vocal noise, because I get the feeling that when they want to play certain players they will play no matter what.

I just don't understand how we can go against deliberately weak team selections....
  • Options
    We support the team or undermine the team simple really.
  • Options
    Been told Ben is playing
  • Options
    As mentioned it's not his choice he's picked he doesn't say hamer out or anything of the like so if he's picked we support him even though we may dislike the decision
  • Options

We support the team or undermine the team simple really.

Could say the same to our new manager.
  • Options
    Who is Thurman?
  • Options
    She was in kill bill I think dick
  • Options
    Hamer is in goal tonight
  • Options

How many goals and points has Hamer lost us!!! Shockingly bad himself!!

I haven't defended Thuram but think he should be given a chance rather than being dismissed simply because he comes for one of Roland's teams.