Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shef Wed 1 CAFC 2 Post match comments

Comments

• Options
    I don't buy all this that the youngsters are inexperienced.

I agree it is good to have a couple of experienced heads on the field, but it is the calmness of the youngsters which stopped us conceding tonight at the end. And also v QPR we passed it around at the end thanks to the youngsters. Aslo you may all forget that it was the experienced lot that let the goal lead turn into a 2-1 defeat v the MASSIVES last season in the last few minutes.

If it wasn't for the youngsters this season, we would be out of the fight for survival now. And we wouldn't be in the quarters.

Well done Poyet, Cousins, Fox and Harriott.
  • Options

When you think Poyet, Cousins, Fox barely 30 league games between them. Thought Morro, Wood, Wilson, Jacko and Poyet were immense. Should have scored a least one more first half. Church worked his nuts off but does has a sponge foot. Was there 'goal' over the lines? Who cares. Deffo a red on Harriott.

Well done all those able to get up there. After watching the live stream I'm off to lay down in a darkened room. COYR.

Walking back to the car i overheard two Wendies, saying that they thought old boys Wood and Morrison were key to stopping them tonight and they played into our hands by lumping the ball up in the air which was generally mopped up easily.

As said already Powell celebrated as long and hard as those in the West Upper and to see him swinging on the crossbar like a schoolboy was a joy to see. It's nights like this that make following Charlton to nights like Donny Rovers all the more sweet.

I'm always proud to say i'm Charlton and tonight my 12 year old talked about going back to school in Sheffield next week and giving it large!Love it :-)
  • Options
    Absolutely buzzing - just got in - fantastic being there - great atmosphere - I thought we deserved the win - that was a performance out of the Curbs era. Nights like this make all those bad games fade away. Can't wait for the Sheff U game - but let's not kid ourselves that will be tough too. By the way where is operationpig?
  • Options

Absolutely buzzing - just got in - fantastic being there - great atmosphere - I thought we deserved the win - that was a performance out of the Curbs era. Nights like this make all those bad games fade away. Can't wait for the Sheff U game - but let's not kid ourselves that will be tough too. By the way where is operationpig?

Prob still rolling in the Wednesday cud.
  • Options
    I would like it to be known that i have been predicting an fa cup win since the 3rd round draw. This is our year
  • Options

When you think Poyet, Cousins, Fox barely 30 league games between them. Thought Morro, Wood, Wilson, Jacko and Poyet were immense. Should have scored a least one more first half. Church worked his nuts off but does has a sponge foot. Was there 'goal' over the lines? Who cares. Deffo a red on Harriott.

Well done all those able to get up there. After watching the live stream I'm off to lay down in a darkened room. COYR.

Walking back to the car i overheard two Wendies, saying that they thought old boys Wood and Morrison were key to stopping them tonight and they played into our hands by lumping the ball up in the air which was generally mopped up easily.

As said already Powell celebrated as long and hard as those in the West Upper and to see him swinging on the crossbar like a schoolboy was a joy to see. It's nights like this that make following Charlton to nights like Donny Rovers all the more sweet.

I'm always proud to say i'm Charlton and tonight my 12 year old talked about going back to school in Sheffield next week and giving it large!Love it :-)
    Oi, weren't you meant to be working?! (Apologies if I've got the wrong guy...)
  • Options

I'm just stunned... Just sitting here stunned with a huge smile on my face!!

• Options
    Watching the wendies tonight, I see no reason why we can't pull that pile of rubbish team back into the relegation fight.
  • Options
    bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26246023

Comments by Chris Waddle very fair:

"Charlton's gameplan was spot-on. They dug in when they had to and they looked like they had another gear they could kick into.

"The hype around Sheffield got to the Wednesday players. They never got settled and were chasing the game. Charlton deserved the win and I expect that they will have too much for Sheffield United too."

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just got in, to tired and emotional, but just like to say thank you Charlton, not many nights like that. Well done all that went, great atmosphere.
  • Options
    Spoke to some Wendies after and they were embarrassed by the route one football they played - said we deserved it - CP take note, these boys can play! First 25 mins was the best we've played all season - we can do it - let's hope the midweek games don't hurt us - 4 academy kids starting was fantastic as well - buzzing!!!
  • Options
    Home sweet home! Deserved win. Hard to pick a MoM but will go for Church, unbelievable work rate and we'll taken goal. Suspect refereeing and a poor lino spoilt it a little bit on another day it could of finished 10 a side. COYA
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

@CAFCofficial: Chris Powell in press conference: "For all our fans who took time off work to watch us, or were listening in, that was for them." #CAFC

this guy just gets me everytime...

Brilliant

• Options
    Just in after an eventful trip up north , a perfect 90+ mins and a HUGE smile on my face!

Don't you just want to hug all our brave lads and most especially our very special gaffer ! Simply the best !!!!

They epitomised everything that's good about this great Club tonight...

Such a shame that failing to cover their pitch meant a number of our fans missed out on witnessing something special tonight.

How about we do it all again in less than 2 weeks' time ?

I'm really loving Yorkshire !

• Options
    Not long been in.

What. A. Performance.
    Absolutely buzzing, every single one of them players dug in and fought so hard.
    IMO we outplayed and outfought Sheffield Wednesday but did ride our luck a few times.

Our fans were immense and the celebrations when we scored and at the end will live long in the memory. My throat is in pieces.

Also had a Sheffield Wednesday fan come up to me after and shake my hand and say well done, one of the few gracious supporters they have!

I'm off to bed. What a day
  • Options
    What interests me is how Powell will now approach the rest of the season having seen what he has seen over the last three days, he will need to use the full squad of players given the number of games we have to play but we DO need to settle on a regular XI and - crucially - how we are going to set up.

The bottom line is that Adjarevic is different gravy - a class above anything we have had since Andy Reid - BUT if he is going to play then we are going to need to build the team around him.

He can't play wide - too slow - and not mobile enough to play centre-midfield in a two-man partnership so that means he either plays at the head of a diamond or behind the striker like he did tonight in the '10' role.

Its a tough call and might differ from game to game but I would like to see him play the same role as he did tonight - but we need to make it work better.

If AA plays there then we would probably play Church up there as a lone striker - although AA could link well with Reza - but the bigger issue is that because AA is not a runner we will need more midfield runners getting in front of the ball and into the box.

Can Cousins and Poyet do this? Not their style at the moment - although both could learn - whilst we saw Harriott do it tonight and Jacko on Saturday.

Ultimately we need to be in the market for a right-hand side attacking player - a player who can get right up and support Church and give an option for AA when he is on the ball - could Nego have a crack in this role? I guess Tudgay could also be tried there and we could even look at Church if Reza plays as striker.

My issue really is that with Cousins, Poyet, Jackson and AA we have four central players in there and clearly lack genuine width on the right, we saw tonight Cousins does not fit there all that well.

Here's how we might line up....

Hamer

Wilson - Morrison - Wood - Wiggins

LOAN - Cousins - Poyet - Harriott

Adjarevic

Church

Jackson could then come on around 60 mins to add his experience - but we do need more attacking threat down that right-hand side to give us more punch up front.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wednesday have 50% top supporters and 50% complete twats. I suppose we all have them. But rather focus on the bitter sour sore losers who give their club its reputation, maybe we should give them some credit for the decent ones.
  • Options

Spoke to some Wendies after and they were embarrassed by the route one football they played - said we deserved it - CP take note, these boys can play! First 25 mins was the best we've played all season - we can do it - let's hope the midweek games don't hurt us - 4 academy kids starting was fantastic as well - buzzing!!!

5 if we count Wilson :p
  • Options
    Blucher said:

The defence was great - hats off to Wilson, the ex- Wednesday boys Morrison and Wood, and young Morgan Fox, who wasn't too troubled on his debut. Hamer was excellent, both I'm terms of his goalkeeping and his winding up of the home crowd. Very good save near the end.

I thought Poyet was very polished and we played some good stuff in the first half and defended well in the second. Churchy had the run on Leira throughout and eventually we made it pay with Jacko's free kick and Churchy's header.

We sat with a Wednesday friend in the South stand, level with the penalty area, and I didn't understand why their second "goal" was disallowed, although presumably there was a foul.

Overall, very well deserved and no one around us thought any different.

Unless I looked away at the wrong moment there was no disallowed goal.....
  • Options
    Wednesday were playing hoofball because our midfield won the battle.
  • Options
    It's great that so many academy players are coming through and playing well. Also Harriott looks like he may be getting back to last seasons form which will be great for us.
  • Options
    I feel like Pharrell Williams this morning..... Because I'm happy.

Great performance, great result. Looking forward to getting into the office to milk it up

The future's bright. The future's RED n WHITE
  • Options
    Not a pretty ggame of football however same tactics should work in the next round.
  • Options
    Ps the whole of the ball wasn't over the line (shown by itv)
  • Options
    I am currently realising exactly why a good night's sleep is a good idea, mostly through not having had one... but totally worth it. Long old journey there and back but probably the best Charlton atmosphere of the season I think - it was like the best bits of the QPR game, for 90 minutes.

Well done players, well done CP and well done us I must say!