Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shef Wed 1 CAFC 2 Post match comments

Comments

• Options
    Are the highlights online anywhere?
  • Options
    After a great start the game descended into a long ball game with the occasional assault from a Wednesday defender. The tackle on Harriot could have been a red but I thought Clattenburg did well. No Sky four team to favour so just reffed the game.

We rode our luck but were the better side overall and we tried to play when we could. Some bemoan our "hoofball tactics" but, apart from the top sides, the other side will try to stop us playing.

The margins at this level are so small. We're not a great side, we are inconsistent, we don't have great strength in depth or wonderful options from the bench but we do have guts and a willingness to fight.

Fantastic result and with four 20 or under players on the pitch.

• Options

What interests me is how Powell will now approach the rest of the season having seen what he has seen over the last three days, he will need to use the full squad of players given the number of games we have to play but we DO need to settle on a regular XI and - crucially - how we are going to set up.

The bottom line is that Adjarevic is different gravy - a class above anything we have had since Andy Reid - BUT if he is going to play then we are going to need to build the team around him.

He can't play wide - too slow - and not mobile enough to play centre-midfield in a two-man partnership so that means he either plays at the head of a diamond or behind the striker like he did tonight in the '10' role.

Its a tough call and might differ from game to game but I would like to see him play the same role as he did tonight - but we need to make it work better.

If AA plays there then we would probably play Church up there as a lone striker - although AA could link well with Reza - but the bigger issue is that because AA is not a runner we will need more midfield runners getting in front of the ball and into the box.

Can Cousins and Poyet do this? Not their style at the moment - although both could learn - whilst we saw Harriott do it tonight and Jacko on Saturday.

Ultimately we need to be in the market for a right-hand side attacking player - a player who can get right up and support Church and give an option for AA when he is on the ball - could Nego have a crack in this role? I guess Tudgay could also be tried there and we could even look at Church if Reza plays as striker.

My issue really is that with Cousins, Poyet, Jackson and AA we have four central players in there and clearly lack genuine width on the right, we saw tonight Cousins does not fit there all that well.

Here's how we might line up....

Hamer

Wilson - Morrison - Wood - Wiggins

LOAN - Cousins - Poyet - Harriott

Adjarevic

Church

Jackson could then come on around 60 mins to add his experience - but we do need more attacking threat down that right-hand side to give us more punch up front.

Or Wilson plays right midfield with Reza on in a 3-5-2... Or Solly/Nego/loan at right back. Formation might depend upon opponents and can see a five man midfield vs Leicester
  • Options
    To be honest, after the Doncaster game I wasn't really up for this - that is until we walked into the away end and the singing had started in the bar area. Ten minutes in and Mrs DA is asking if this is the same team that played at the Keepmoat. Absolutely fantastic performance from players and from fans and so good to see smiles all round an away end again! Wilson and Hamer men of the match for me - Was convinced the shot in the closing stages was heading for the top corner when Hamer appeared out of nowhere to save brilliantly. Have lost my voice with all the singing so God knows how will teach today but who cares! Absolutely brilliant!
  • Options
    The most significant thing on this thread is that when you read the MOM, most of the team are mentioned. Following dressing room rows after the Birmingham defeat, it is obvious that CP has created a brilliant spirit in the squad, and for me his new contract is assured, but probably best if he doesn't break somebody's cross bar !
  • Options
    That bloke on twitter needs his comeuppance, can someone send them to Stan Collymore and get it sorted out, he knows the SP on dealing with this stuff, if not please make the club aware I am sitting here fuming with those comments ,

what a p**k
  • Options
    Chris Waddle:

"There will be a lot of disappointed fans in Sheffield. Wednesday did not show enough quality, they looked dangerous from set pieces but that is it.

"Charlton's gameplan was spot-on. They dug in when they had to and they looked like they had another gear they could kick into.

"The hype around Sheffield got to the Wednesday players. They never got settled and were chasing the game. Charlton deserved the win and I expect that they will have too much for Sheffield United too."
  • Options
    Front page of Guardian Sport this morning - Chrissy on the crossbar. I've already cut it out and got it on the wall of my office.
  • Options

That bloke on twitter needs his comeuppance, can someone send them to Stan Collymore and get it sorted out, he knows the SP on dealing with this stuff, if not please make the club aware I am sitting here fuming with those comments ,

what a p**k

The account has been deleted mate.
  • Options
    Got home at 2.

So tired, but it was absolutely worth it, so glad I took the half day and went!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WOW... Just had Sky Sports News on and they were discussing the Hull v Brighton match (inc. interviews with Nathan Jones and Steve Bruce) they then went on to the Charlton match.

Well Charlton confirmed there wont be a Steel City Derby in the FA Cup Quarter-Finals this season... And this is how the Quarter-Finals lineup

Nothing more said
  • Options
    These tweets need to be reported to the club and the Sheffield police, even if they delete the account they can still be traced back via IP address and previous details to log in.
  • Options
    We were magnificent last night and every player played their part. We controlled the first half and all they could resort too was hoof style of play...came under pressure at the start of the second half as you would expect and the inevitable goal happened.

But what was great was the team just dusted themselves down and got another...

They were a physical outfit and very bullish hence their yellow card tally....

Special mention must go to Poyet and Cousins our central midfield is just 18 and 19, and there were 5 acadamy players playing last night (Wilson/Harriot/Poyet/Cousins/Fox)

Would like to say that although some wed's fans are fools and give us stick, they were a pretty decent bunch both before and after the game....apart from one idiot who tried to take the piss out of my sons hair....when i told him it was cut for the Utd match all he could retort was effing cockney c**t. Then just dissapeared though the night.
  • Options
    Glad all those hardy souls that made it up there - many for the second time - were well rewarded.

They did us proud.
  • Options
    Got in at 4am still buzzing. Wednesday thought they just had to turn up, they had already booked the coach to Bramwell Lane. Backed CAFC to beat the Wendies and also to lift the cup, one up and one to go.
  • Options
    the first 30 mins were the best ive seen this season, and did anyone see that jackson turn whilst him and wilson were passing? nice to not see him just lump it up the pitch. also AA is class but faded in the second half but not his fault as we did start playing long balls, as for church i dont really like the guy as a player but he was outstanding
  • Options

did it cross the line? looks like it from this angle, but maybe the lino couldn't see it...who the hell cares, we're through - BOOM!

Don't care, doesn't matter but I love how casually Hamer just leaned over and scooped it up.
  • Options
    Got slaughtered on here for saying it after the Wigan game but attack really is the best form of defence. It worked against QPR and now Wednesday. We didn't sit back and kept going and it's paid off. Long may it continue.

On another note, I though Maguire looked a real handful for them. Reminded me of Yann a bit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Are the highlights online anywhere?

Brief highlights on ITV Player.
  • Options
    http://www.swfc.co.uk/news/article/listen-in-gray-post-charlton-1381374.aspx

Radio post match interview with Stuart Gray for anyone that's interested...............
  • Options
    Took celebrations to the next level last night, I don't understand how I'm not dead. Wray & Nephew is evil and what a time to be a Charlton fan... WEMBEERRRRRRRLEEEEY!
  • Options
    robroy said:

These tweets need to be reported to the club and the Sheffield police, even if they delete the account they can still be traced back via IP address and previous details to log in.

Go on then.....

• Options

robroy said:

Go on then.....

I have done. So all sorted
  • Options

Wednesday have 50% top supporters and 50% complete twats. I suppose we all have them. But rather focus on the bitter sour sore losers who give their club its reputation, maybe we should give them some credit for the decent ones.

Indeed, Mutts.

Quite a few young Wendies' fans came up to us as we walked back to the car and as well as advising us they would be quite pleased if we beat that friendly team down the road(!) admitted we were the better side & deserved to win.

Credit where credit's due.
  • Options
    robroy said:

robroy said:

Go on then.....

Good man. Thank You

• Options

robroy said:

robroy said:

Go on then.....

Good man. Thank You

Mr Paul Mortimer himself is on the case at Kick It Out.
    "We have seen this and are on the case. Have already been in touch with the club and the Police who are investigating currently."
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    robroy said:

robroy said:

robroy said:

Go on then.....

Mr Paul Mortimer himself is on the case at Kick It Out.
    "We have seen this and are on the case. Have already been in touch with the club and the Police who are investigating currently."

well done that was some of the most blatantly racist things I have seen someone write, its unreal that in this day and age a grown man can think that this is acceptable,

i bet it wont even make the news , forward them to Talk sport as well as sky sports see if they run with it

Good man. Thank You

• Options
    One of those special nights in a lifetime of supporting this great club.

I know everyone is saying it but how good is Poyet? He is going to have a very successful career. You could see how much it meant to everyone in the team with the aftermatch celebrations and SCP antics when he came over to us just adds to his legendary status. I can't imagine there is a club in the land who has a manager who so connects with the fans as much as Chris. What a man.

The fans were immense and as an old man I was trying my best to shout as loudly as everyone around me! I've lost my voice this morning so I know at least I tried!!

We are going to be ok and I'm anticipating a steady rise up the table to safety so that we can all enjoy the Cup Final :)