Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

famous people you have met

Comments

• Less famous people I have met? Brian Murphy of George and Mildred fame lives around the corner from me, I pass his house every day.

I was in the fish n chip shop a while ago and his nasally voice was still the same as in the 70's.

I see him quite a bit around too....assume he lives in Bromley / Beckenham area?!?
  • edited October 2016
    Oakster said:

John Peel - asked him to play a record at a student disco he was dj-ing in the late 80s - he didnt play it!

I know exactly how you feel mate, Stewpot bloody Stewart never played my record request on his show for my mum's birthday when I was about 10. Something inside me died that day.
    They say let it go, don't they Oakster, but that night a DJ proper ruined our lives eh....( mine was actually the morning tbf but we are brothers in broken dreams, mate ) :wink:
  • Robbie Coltrane sat next to me on a plane a few years ago. didnt enjoy that. Very tight squeeze. Seemed like a nice fella though. .
  • Less famous people I have met? Brian Murphy of George and Mildred fame lives around the corner from me, I pass his house every day.

I was in the fish n chip shop a while ago and his nasally voice was still the same as in the 70's.

I see him quite a bit around too....assume he lives in Bromley / Beckenham area?!?
    He lives in Elfsborg, he just told you that

I thought that was just part of his cloak of anonymity?!?
  • More infamous than famous but I exchange small talk with one of Britain's most prolific serial killers every day at work. Come to think of it I could reel off a list of names that you'd recognise but none that you'd want to meet.

Ian Brady?
    Think the Yorkshire Ripper is in Berkshire.
  • have done work for these;
    jimmy page
    jonny vaughn
    jim davidson
    piers morgan
    alan carr
    amanda holden

bumped into these 2 at dublin airport

tony mccoy
    cillian murphy

• Sponsored links:

• edited October 2016
    JiMMy 85 said:

A few months back I met the Suicide Squad. Of them, Jai Courtney was loads of fun - "I keep making shitty fucking action movies!" And Will Smith was the most charming man alive. Jaded Leto was the opposite.

And what about the goddess that is Margot Robbie?
  • Met Douglas Bader in the sixties most of the younger lifers would not have heard of him, told me off for not playing rugby instead of football.
  • Welly said:

Met Douglas Bader in the sixties most of the younger lifers would not have heard of him, told me off for not playing rugby instead of football.

People should be shot for not knowing Douglas Bader!!

One of the best Second World War pilots (probably the most famous) we had for Britain, lost his legs in an flying accident (for being a show off) yet still managed to recover and got straight back in the plane!!
  • The player that was at QPR that always got in trouble, played against us when Jacko got the late winner.....he walked into me in a bar in our hotel we was staying in Jamaica and didnt say sorry, just did a hand gesture, ended up playing against him in a 7 a side football match arranged by the hotel, he was shit, really shit

Ravel Morrison?
  • Curb_It said:

More infamous than famous but I exchange small talk with one of Britain's most prolific serial killers every day at work. Come to think of it I could reel off a list of names that you'd recognise but none that you'd want to meet.

Ian Brady?
    Thought he'd be the Berkshire Ripper
  • Dazzler21 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

A few months back I met the Suicide Squad. Of them, Jai Courtney was loads of fun - "I keep making shitty fucking action movies!" And Will Smith was the most charming man alive. Jaded Leto was the opposite.

And what about the goddess that is Margot Robbie?
    She was as stunning as you'd expect, and very pleasant to talk to. Although in truth, I was more blown away by the cute Katana sword girl (which may have had something to do with her being a really, really nice person... in a tiny skirt).

• edited October 2016
    People I have had in my pub, and gone to dinner with:

Garry Nelson
    Paul Went
    Richie Wilson

People I have had in my pub:

Steve Brown
    Andy Jones
    Colin Walsh
    Graham Stuart
    John Robinson
    Joey Barton
    Rob Green
    Paul Stewart
    Tommy Tynan
    Paul Cullen (Widnes director of Rugby)
    Derek Beaumont (Leigh Centurions owner)
    Karl Howman

Actors who I met and shared a few beers with who were working with my late friend Alex Giannini:

Phaldut (Paul) Sharma
    Liz McInnerny (Tim's sister)
    Henry Goodman (he informed me that Nelson Mandela had died that evening)
    Marc Warren (read through a play with him when he was at drama school with Alex)

I briefly met Chuck Berry and got his autograph in '79

I was front of house manager/driver at the London Rock n Roll show in '91. Drove Jimmy Jones to Wembley (lovely man), and then met and had a chat with Richard O'Brien (one of the most charming people I have ever met), also Graham Dene (very unassuming and modest - he had every right to play the "do you know who I am" card at the stage door, as he was working for Capital Gold at the time, and they were the main sponsors, but didn't do that at all). I also sat down and had a coffee with Alex Hughes (Judge Dread) who had basically pinched word for word my entire press release about the show for his column in (I think) The Kentish Messenger. He told me it was so good there was nothing he could add. I'm a sucker for flattery...

I met Robert Plant a couple of times at gigs - the first time he said "Oh - you're Perry!", as I was a friend of his daughter, been dining out on that one for years... Another decent bloke with a great knowledge of rockabilly and rock n roll.

Kevin Nolan introduced me to Bert Johnson outside Leicester's ground when we were playing them back in the nineties.

I once got a beer glass in the face when Steve Wright was doing his Radio 1 stage show bit, I was behind him, behind the decks and he ducked quicker than me.

Phil Daniels brought me a pint on my 21st - another top bloke.

Alvin Stardust was at my wedding.

I got pissed backstage at an Oasis gig and ended up chatting with Gem, Andy and Zac, and said hello to Liam, though I have almost no recollection of it (it was free booze all day).

I kind of know Mark Lamarr - if we bumped into each other, he'd know my name, put it that way. Likewise Jesse Birdsall and Gary Hailes (he's been round my house).

People I really know, as proper friends I see and communicate and sometimes go out with:

Ray Gelato (swing and jazz sax player and singer)
    Claire Martin (Jazz singer and Radio 3 presenter)
    Jacquie O'Sullivan (former member of Bananarama)
    Boz Boorer (Morrissey's musical arranger, co-writer and guitarist)
    Mark Savage (Gripper from "Grange Hill")

Plus loads of rock n roll and rockabilly artists that would only mean something to DA9 and me...

Edit: Oh I nearly forgot - Camilla Deakin, TV and film producer, she's just done "Ethel and Ernest" with Raymond Briggs.
  • Why have you all met so many famous people? Is it because most of you live and work in London?

Bromley.
  • Sponsored links:

The mighty Elfsborg play in a city called Boras, 50 miles outside of Gothenburg.
  • People I have had in my pub, and gone to dinner with:

Garry Nelson
    Paul Went
    Richie Wilson

Steve Brown
    Andy Jones
    Colin Walsh
    Graham Stuart
    John Robinson
    Joey Barton
    Rob Green
    Paul Stewart
    Tommy Tynan
    Karl Howman

Actors who I met and shared a few beers with who were working with my late friend Alex Giannini:

Phaldut (Paul) Sharma
    Marc Warren (read through a play with him when he was at drama school with Alex)

I was front of house manager/driver at the London Rock n Roll show in '91. Drove Jimmy Jones to Wembley (lovely man), and then met and had a chat with Richard O'Brien (one of the most charming people I have ever met), also Graham Dene (very unassuming and modest - he had every right to play the "do you know who I am" card at the stage door, as he was working for Capital Gold at the time, and they were the main sponsors, but didn't do that at all). I also sat down and had a coffee with Alex Hughes (Judge Dread) who had basically pinched word for word my entire press release about the show for his column in (I think) The Kentish Messenger. He told me it was so good there was nothing he could add. I'm a sucker for flattery...

I met Robert Plant a couple of times at gigs - the first time he said "Oh - you're Perry!", as I was a friend of his daughter, been dining out on that one for years... Another decent bloke with a great knowledge of rockabilly and rock n roll.

Kevin Nolan introduced me to Bert Johnson outside Leicester's ground when we were playing them back in the nineties.

I once got a beer glass in the face when Steve Wright was doing his Radio 1 stage show bit, I was behind him, behind the decks and he ducked quicker than me.

I got pissed backstage at an Oasis gig and ended up chatting with Gem, Andy and Zac, and said hello to Liam, though I have almost no recollection of it (it was free booze all day).

I kind of know Mark Lamarr - if we bumped into each other, he's know my name, put it that way. Likewise Jesse Birdsall and Gary Hailes (he's been round my house).

People I really know, as proper friends I see and communicate and sometimes go out with:

Plus loads of rock n roll and rockabilly artists that would only mean something to DA9 and me...

Edit: Oh I nearly forgot - Camilla Deakin, TV and film producer, she's just done "Ethel and Ernest" with Raymond Briggs.

I think you are the male squirrel face!
  • Curb_It said:

More infamous than famous but I exchange small talk with one of Britain's most prolific serial killers every day at work. Come to think of it I could reel off a list of names that you'd recognise but none that you'd want to meet.

Ian Brady?

Definitely not Brady and Sutcliffe is further north at Frankland.
  • People I have had in my pub, and gone to dinner with:

Garry Nelson
    Paul Went
    Richie Wilson

Steve Brown
    Andy Jones
    Colin Walsh
    Graham Stuart
    John Robinson
    Joey Barton
    Rob Green
    Paul Stewart
    Tommy Tynan
    Karl Howman

Phaldut (Paul) Sharma

I kind of know Mark Lamarr - if we bumped into each other, he's know my name, put it that way. Likewise Jesse Birdsall and Gary Hailes (he's been round my house).

I think you are the male squirrel face!
    Believe what you want mate.
  • Curb_It said:

Ian Brady?

Do you work at Full Sutton or Wakefield?
  • McBobbin said:

Curb_It said:

Ian Brady?

Do you work at Full Sutton or Wakefield?
    Yes got it. It's Nilsen... god must be fascinating/frightening.

• I have been fortunate to meet a fair number of 'famous people' including the Duke of Kent, Sir John Major, Sir Elton John, Shane Warne, Sir Terry Wogan and Sir Vivian Richards. Many have lived up to their celebrity status, but a fair few were a disappointment. All those named above lived up to expectation, and surprisingly Shane Warne by far exceeded expectations.
  • Welly said:

Met Douglas Bader in the sixties most of the younger lifers would not have heard of him, told me off for not playing rugby instead of football.

You should have told him off for not playing either. Pussy.
  • I have been fortunate to meet a fair number of 'famous people' including the Duke of Kent, Sir John Major, Sir Elton John, Shane Warne, Sir Terry Wogan and Sir Vivian Richards. Many have lived up to their celebrity status, but a fair few were a disappointment. All those named above lived up to expectation, and surprisingly Shane Warne by far exceeded expectations.

Sir Shane Warne surely?