Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

famous people you have met

Comments

• I once sat within 20 feet of Robert Plant at a folk gig but we weren't on speaking terms. Oh and I told the singer from Placebo whom we all called "not really American Brian" to get off the fence and embrace being gay. He wasn't very happy. He wasn't famous yet.
  • People I have had in my pub, and gone to dinner with:

Garry Nelson
    Paul Went
    Richie Wilson

People I have had in my pub:

Steve Brown
    Andy Jones
    Colin Walsh
    Graham Stuart
    John Robinson
    Joey Barton
    Rob Green
    Paul Stewart
    Tommy Tynan
    Paul Cullen (Widnes director of Rugby)
    Derek Beaumont (Leigh Centurions owner)
    Karl Howman

Actors who I met and shared a few beers with who were working with my late friend Alex Giannini:

Phaldut (Paul) Sharma
    Liz McInnerny (Tim's sister)
    Henry Goodman (he informed me that Nelson Mandela had died that evening)
    Marc Warren (read through a play with him when he was at drama school with Alex)

I briefly met Chuck Berry and got his autograph in '79

I was front of house manager/driver at the London Rock n Roll show in '91. Drove Jimmy Jones to Wembley (lovely man), and then met and had a chat with Richard O'Brien (one of the most charming people I have ever met), also Graham Dene (very unassuming and modest - he had every right to play the "do you know who I am" card at the stage door, as he was working for Capital Gold at the time, and they were the main sponsors, but didn't do that at all). I also sat down and had a coffee with Alex Hughes (Judge Dread) who had basically pinched word for word my entire press release about the show for his column in (I think) The Kentish Messenger. He told me it was so good there was nothing he could add. I'm a sucker for flattery...

I met Robert Plant a couple of times at gigs - the first time he said "Oh - you're Perry!", as I was a friend of his daughter, been dining out on that one for years... Another decent bloke with a great knowledge of rockabilly and rock n roll.

Kevin Nolan introduced me to Bert Johnson outside Leicester's ground when we were playing them back in the nineties.

I once got a beer glass in the face when Steve Wright was doing his Radio 1 stage show bit, I was behind him, behind the decks and he ducked quicker than me.

Phil Daniels brought me a pint on my 21st - another top bloke.

Alvin Stardust was at my wedding.

I got pissed backstage at an Oasis gig and ended up chatting with Gem, Andy and Zac, and said hello to Liam, though I have almost no recollection of it (it was free booze all day).

I kind of know Mark Lamarr - if we bumped into each other, he'd know my name, put it that way. Likewise Jesse Birdsall and Gary Hailes (he's been round my house).

People I really know, as proper friends I see and communicate and sometimes go out with:

Ray Gelato (swing and jazz sax player and singer)
    Claire Martin (Jazz singer and Radio 3 presenter)
    Jacquie O'Sullivan (former member of Bananarama)
    Boz Boorer (Morrissey's musical arranger, co-writer and guitarist)
    Mark Savage (Gripper from "Grange Hill")

Plus loads of rock n roll and rockabilly artists that would only mean something to DA9 and me...

Edit: Oh I nearly forgot - Camilla Deakin, TV and film producer, she's just done "Ethel and Ernest" with Raymond Briggs.

You forgot NLA drank in your boozer add me to the list

According to uncle he is the most important good looking athletic and inspirational person on the planet

Garry Nelson
    Paul Went
    Richie Wilson

Steve Brown
    Andy Jones
    Colin Walsh
    Graham Stuart
    John Robinson
    Joey Barton
    Rob Green
    Paul Stewart
    Tommy Tynan
    Karl Howman

Actors who I met and shared a few beers with who were working with my late friend Alex Giannini:

Phaldut (Paul) Sharma
    Marc Warren (read through a play with him when he was at drama school with Alex)

I was front of house manager/driver at the London Rock n Roll show in '91. Drove Jimmy Jones to Wembley (lovely man), and then met and had a chat with Richard O'Brien (one of the most charming people I have ever met), also Graham Dene (very unassuming and modest - he had every right to play the "do you know who I am" card at the stage door, as he was working for Capital Gold at the time, and they were the main sponsors, but didn't do that at all). I also sat down and had a coffee with Alex Hughes (Judge Dread) who had basically pinched word for word my entire press release about the show for his column in (I think) The Kentish Messenger. He told me it was so good there was nothing he could add. I'm a sucker for flattery...

I met Robert Plant a couple of times at gigs - the first time he said "Oh - you're Perry!", as I was a friend of his daughter, been dining out on that one for years... Another decent bloke with a great knowledge of rockabilly and rock n roll.

Kevin Nolan introduced me to Bert Johnson outside Leicester's ground when we were playing them back in the nineties.

I once got a beer glass in the face when Steve Wright was doing his Radio 1 stage show bit, I was behind him, behind the decks and he ducked quicker than me.

I got pissed backstage at an Oasis gig and ended up chatting with Gem, Andy and Zac, and said hello to Liam, though I have almost no recollection of it (it was free booze all day).

I kind of know Mark Lamarr - if we bumped into each other, he'd know my name, put it that way. Likewise Jesse Birdsall and Gary Hailes (he's been round my house).

People I really know, as proper friends I see and communicate and sometimes go out with:

Plus loads of rock n roll and rockabilly artists that would only mean something to DA9 and me...

Edit: Oh I nearly forgot - Camilla Deakin, TV and film producer, she's just done "Ethel and Ernest" with Raymond Briggs.

According to uncle he is the most important good looking athletic and inspirational person on the planet
    Coming from a West Ham fan, that's not much of an endorsement.
  • John martyn
    Black francis
    Kevin coyne
    Muhammed Ali
    Sue Perkins (worked with her for 9 months when she left school so before she was famous )
    Tom baker
    John hollins
    Richard griffiths
    Iain banks
    Terry Pratchett
    Michael Nyman
    John spiers/ jon boden

Garry Nelson
    Paul Went
    Richie Wilson

Steve Brown
    Andy Jones
    Colin Walsh
    Graham Stuart
    John Robinson
    Joey Barton
    Rob Green
    Paul Stewart
    Tommy Tynan
    Karl Howman

Phaldut (Paul) Sharma

Not forgetting that I've drunk (and got drunk) on many occasions in @Algarveaddick 's bar.
  • Last weekend I met the most successful living motorcycle road racer, John McGuinness. Not just a legend but a friendly bloke and good sense of humour.
  • I'm friends with Caroline Barker, who presents on five live and sometimes is on Fighting Talk.

Charlotte Hatherley from Ash once bought me a drink.

I've met New Model Army, and Rob (RIP) let me have a go on his drum kit.

That's the barrel scraped clean!
  • I had the good fortune to meet Sir Alex Ferguson at an ITV jolly up, the week after they had done us 1-0 at the Valley, with Dwight Yorke scoring the last minute winner. Had a good chat to him, and he obviously had a lot of time for Charlton, as he mentioned what a good player he thought Kinsella was, and how he hoped we stayed up.

What struck me most, is that he said about an hour after the game he received a phone call from Graeme Souness, all the way from Portugal, where he was managing Benfica.

"Did you just play Charlton Alex?".

"Aye we did - we won 1-0".

"How did the boy Pringle play?"

"Not bad - plenty of pace, gave our boys some problems"

"Good" says Souness "I've been trying to get rid of that useless bastard for months!!!"

That reminds me that I once was on the same Ryanair flight from Gothenburg to Stansted as Martin Pringle. Oh the glamour...
  • Sponsored links:

• Slaven Bilic was on my Thames Clipper journey home on Wednesday. I cheekily asked him if he'd fancy staying on till Greenwich and taking on the Charlton job (in jest, Russell, honest) and his response was, "Charlton? You need more than a manager!"

Did he really?? Laughing stock. What did you say to that '?

• None of you have still topped mine so carry on.
  • Slaven Bilic was on my Thames Clipper journey home on Wednesday. I cheekily asked him if he'd fancy staying on till Greenwich and taking on the Charlton job (in jest, Russell, honest) and his response was, "Charlton? You need more than a manager!"

You should have slapped the cheeky prick!
  • <

Ohh and Chris Smalling went to my school. A few years older than me. But he shot me with a paintball once.

Tony cascarino at my school, - couple of years older than me. He enjoyed kicking a ball round the playground.
  • Less famous people I have met? Brian Murphy of George and Mildred fame lives around the corner from me, I pass his house every day.

I was in the fish n chip shop a while ago and his nasally voice was still the same as in the 70's.

How many beers did you get out of him?
  • Fumbluff said:

Sophie Ellis Bextors mum

Met Sophie Ellis at an Elvis event many years ago, very nice she was too
  • Had a brief chat with Madge from Benidorm on Grays Inn Road recently
  • DA9DA9
    edited October 2016

People I have had in my pub, and gone to dinner with:

Garry Nelson
    Paul Went
    Richie Wilson

Steve Brown
    Andy Jones
    Colin Walsh
    Graham Stuart
    John Robinson
    Joey Barton
    Rob Green
    Paul Stewart
    Tommy Tynan
    Karl Howman

Phaldut (Paul) Sharma

Paul Went was my driving instructor, and Jesse Birdsall used to be on the rockabilly scene didn't he?
  • Saddam Hussein. Certainly the most infamous. Also the one least likely to have been met but anyone else I know.
  • Sponsored links:

• DA9 said:

Garry Nelson
    Paul Went
    Richie Wilson

Steve Brown
    Andy Jones
    Colin Walsh
    Graham Stuart
    John Robinson
    Joey Barton
    Rob Green
    Paul Stewart
    Tommy Tynan
    Karl Howman

Phaldut (Paul) Sharma

Paul Went was my driving instructor, and Jesse Birdsall used to be on the rockabilly scene didn't he?
    Yes - so did Gary Hailes, Mark Savage, Alex Giannini, Claire Martin, Ray Gelato (he's doing a "rockin'" set at the weekender we are going to in Spain next month) Robert Plant's daughter and Camilla Deakin. You might see a pattern emerging here mate...

I also forgot Dave Ruffey and Segs Jennings from the Ruts - Dave has a place over here next to Boz's...
  • jdmotion said:

Saddam Hussein. Certainly the most infamous. Also the one least likely to have been met but anyone else I know.

How did this come about? Fascinating.
  • Curb_It said:

Slaven Bilic was on my Thames Clipper journey home on Wednesday. I cheekily asked him if he'd fancy staying on till Greenwich and taking on the Charlton job (in jest, Russell, honest) and his response was, "Charlton? You need more than a manager!"

Did he really?? Laughing stock. What did you say to that '?

I actually didn't say anything. I just gave a knowing nod in response. He was clearly preoccupied and I felt a bit bad for approaching him. The footballing world is definitely aware of the shambles in SE7.
  • DA9DA9
    edited October 2016

DA9 said:

Garry Nelson
    Paul Went
    Richie Wilson

Steve Brown
    Andy Jones
    Colin Walsh
    Graham Stuart
    John Robinson
    Joey Barton
    Rob Green
    Paul Stewart
    Tommy Tynan
    Karl Howman

Phaldut (Paul) Sharma

Yes - so did Gary Hailes, Mark Savage, Alex Giannini, Claire Martin, Ray Gelato (he's doing a "rockin'" set at the weekender we are going to in Spain next month) Robert Plant's daughter and Camilla Deakin. You might see a pattern emerging here mate...

I also forgot Dave Ruffey and Segs Jennings from the Ruts - Dave has a place over here next to Boz's...
    I once let Boz' hairdresser Elaine, at Slick50 in Southend cut my golden locks
  • DA9 said:

DA9 said:

Garry Nelson
    Paul Went
    Richie Wilson

Steve Brown
    Andy Jones
    Colin Walsh
    Graham Stuart
    John Robinson
    Joey Barton
    Rob Green
    Paul Stewart
    Tommy Tynan
    Karl Howman

Phaldut (Paul) Sharma

Did she move to Blackpool?
  • DA9 said:

DA9 said:

Garry Nelson
    Paul Went
    Richie Wilson

Steve Brown
    Andy Jones
    Colin Walsh
    Graham Stuart
    John Robinson
    Joey Barton
    Rob Green
    Paul Stewart
    Tommy Tynan
    Karl Howman

Phaldut (Paul) Sharma

Did she move to Blackpool?
    I assume by that you are stating that's where Boz lives now, well, here he is at said barbers, maybe he lived there, maybe he was just passing through.

stevehooker.co.uk/_rock_n_roll/pages/109-slick-50-barber-shop.asp
  • Boz lives in West Hampstead, and occasionally Taipas...
  • DA9 said:

Fumbluff said:

Sophie Ellis Bextors mum

Met Sophie Ellis at an Elvis event many years ago, very nice she was too
    Did she tell you her mum met me twice?
  • Boz lives in West Hampstead, and occasionally Taipas...

Does Boz still have a Record shop in Camden.