Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris O'Grady linked (rumoured £500k bid accepted)

Comments

• Options
    I wonder who's made the decision to go for him? Clearly someone has decided we need a target man up front.
  • Options
    I know his record is not that bad at Barnsley but we must be able to do a lot better then him. 11 clubs at 28 years old tells you all you need to know in my eyes. Sign him as a 3rd or 4th choice striker fine but if he ends up being the best we can attract then I reckon it's gonna be another long season.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Yann897 said:

1, shows we've got money and prepared to spend .
    2, shows we're not only signing network players .
    3, not only foreign players
    4, he's a good solid championship player .

More optimistic about next season than I was half hour ago !
    Very interesting.

To be fair it only shows any of those things if we actually sign him.
    True but it's been accepted so the money is there if we don't get him I'm sure they will use the money else where.
  • Options

This is brilliant, people moan we don't spend money and now they're moaning we're spending too much, only charlton

This.

Happy to get a recognised goal scorer in. £500k will include add ons undoubtedly.

Pleased we've also got someone at the Club who is able to make these decisions about known players who are used to this league and persuade RD to make the investment.
  • Options
    Looks like we've got money to waste and we have 500k is to much for him. Didn't think he was 28 thought he was at least 30. Hope we ain't going to start playing hoofball. Bring back Riga
  • Options
    I think he's an upgrade on what we've got, although don't know too much about him, looked a handful at our place, and had a decent season. Stats are okay..ish had a lot of clubs over the years last season was probably his best.
  • Options

I'd imagine any fee would also have promotion clause or other bonuses so I doubt £500k is the initial fee.

Nah I'm not sure he's Premier league standard, good League 1 player though.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Didn't expect us to go for older players like O'Grady, especially not for that sort of fee.

Looking him up he scored 15 league goals for Barnsley last season. Didn't realise he did that well. Also only 28, some reason thought he was a bit older than that.

Yes we could have kept Yann but he's gone now and it seems whoever is picking players for us has recognised we need a decent targetman. Even if it was blatantly obvious.

Wow until reading that i thought he was 32-33
  • Options
    hope we sign him,very good goal scorer,hols the ball up well
  • Options

Good player, 500k seems a lot of money though

Id rather go for Sam baldock
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A few Barnsley fans replied to the SLP tweet saying £500k isn't enough.
    Davo55 said:

How old is he then?

Wouldn't be a dreadful signing but one that points to our aspirations being survival rather than challenging at the higher end of the division.

Or is he a player that could do even better in a stronger side? Iwelumo wasn't a big name either but played a big part in taking Wolves up.

Or he might be one of 4/5 strikers and despite the fee will have to fight for his place.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

A few Barnsley fans replied to the SLP tweet saying £500k isn't enough.

Davo55 said:

How old is he then?

Wouldn't be a dreadful signing but one that points to our aspirations being survival rather than challenging at the higher end of the division.

Or is he a player that could do even better in a stronger side? Iwelumo wasn't a big name either but played a big part in taking Wolves up.

Or he might be one of 4/5 strikers and despite the fee will have to fight for his place.
    Agree with this...

On twitter they reckon 500K is bad business. They would be in a better position to judge his value than any of us I suppose
  • Options
    Reserve judgment till they wear the shirt.

Playing for Charlton is a different ball game:

Marcus Tudgay - The general perseption was yes, weve signed a half decent striker and boy do we need one. (er, no)

Marvin Sordell - He picked up his performances second half of the season, but at 1st, the hype and hope when we brought him in did not match what the player offered.

Bradley Wright phillips - Most people were under-whelmed by this signing at 1st, he gave a good couple of years to us and was a decent forward.

These are not very good major examples to be honest for 'reserving judgment'. But you get it.
  • Options
    Very interesting... Knows where the goal is, could be good provided he gets service (28-years old)
  • Options
    blockquote class="Quote" rel="iaitch">

I hope he's better than the last striker we signed from Barnsley!

Who was that then?

Andy Gray
  • Options
    Decent player, knows the league well and isn't powderpuff like Church. Not a bad signing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Panic buy to redress the balance /appease the fans after AD's disclosure earlier.

:-)
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Yann897 said:

se9addick said:

Yann897 said:

1, shows we've got money and prepared to spend .
    2, shows we're not only signing network players .
    3, not only foreign players
    4, he's a good solid championship player .

More optimistic about next season than I was half hour ago !
    Very interesting.

To be fair it only shows any of those things if we actually sign him.
    True but it's been accepted so the money is there if we don't get him I'm sure they will use the money else where.
    It "proves" that there is £500k there. You don't do yourself any favours mate, I agree that sometimes there's over the top negativity from some posters, but trying to present any bit of rumour or gossip as vindication of the RD model makes you look like a propaganda merchant.

Why not follow your own advice and wait until the end of the summer before you start the "I told you so"'s.
    To be honest I ain't usually like that and didn't do it when Riga done well it's just everyone keeps doing it to me so I thought oh well , anyway won't do it again but am I allowed to say that I'm happy we're spending money on recognised strikers or not ?
  • Options
    Maybe he can teach Piotr a thing or two about being a target man in the Championship
  • Options
    Not quite sure what to make of this after only having read the Alex Dyer thread today, seems a lot initially as i always thought he was just a journeyman 6 goals a season type and that he was in his early 30s.

Now that i know he scored 15 goals for a relegation side and his real age, it seems a good bit of business if it happens.

Just when you think you have the RD system all figured out, a potential signing like this blows all that out of the water.

• Options
    Dave2l said:

Reserve judgment till they wear the shirt.

Playing for Charlton is a different ball game:

Marcus Tudgay - The general perseption was yes, weve signed a half decent striker and boy do we need one. (er, no)

Marvin Sordell - He picked up his performances second half of the season, but at 1st, the hype and hope when we brought him in did not match what the player offered.

Bradley Wright phillips - Most people were under-whelmed by this signing at 1st, he gave a good couple of years to us and was a decent forward.

These are not very good major examples to be honest for 'reserving judgment'. But you get it.

And Yann was underwhelming while bringing back Euell was a decent move.
  • Options
    Maybe it's the 500k we'll get for Poyet....
  • Options
    edited May 2014

iaitch said:

I hope he's better than the last striker we signed from Barnsley!

Who was that then?
    Andy Gray
    Signed from Burnley and sold to Barnsley
  • Options
    Perhaps our resident stalker from Sheffield can tell us a bit about him ?. He played 51 times for Wednesday.
  • Options
    Oops, my mistake...knew it was a northern team beginning with B.

he was still shite though!