Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris O'Grady linked (rumoured £500k bid accepted)

Comments

• Options

According to a Barnsley blog, he was in London discussing personal terms today.

Hope so the more i think about this transfer the better I think it is , especially after reading rival fans views maybe 500k is a good price after all.
  • Options

Simonsen said:

Good player, very strong at holding up the ball and laying off passes and can score too, he got a standing ovation from us at Hillsborough when he had to be sacrificed after Frimpong got sent off for Barnsley, not many players get that here!

It was a difficult season last year for him at Barnsley, he seemed to start well then had a lean spell, most Barnsley fans seemed to like him.

COG will always be remembered as the player who scored the winner against the pigs that turned our season around back in L1.

Eee'up Piggy lad. Would you have Chris O'Grady back for £500k?
    Good question and I'd say no, only because IMO 500k is a high price to pay for a player who got relegated.

If it was a free it would've been a very decent sighing however if you're shutting doors on other targets for cog at 500k then I'm not so sure, he does have weaknesses in his game i.e his first touch sometimes lets him down and he can sometimes lack fitness but on the other hand he can score goals, create goals and can hold up play.

Cheers OP. I wouldn't mind betting that time will prove that to be a very fair assessment.

I can only go on what I saw in ONE game last season but also looking at his record,£500k does seem a little high for Chris O'Grady. Perhaps that's just indicative of how much you have to pay for an English player these days. It's no surprise that clubs look abroad for bargains but I just wonder whether they look hard enough closer to home. There must still be some monster bargains to be had for non-league players.
  • Options
    Let's hope it's not agent talk to get other interested parties to bid
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited May 2014
    1) This is not a done deal ? Has the club actually talked to Chris O'Grady as to whether he wants to move to London ? I really hope that Charlton communications are repeating the same mistake as in the emergency window loans of announcing contact with the club of a player they are interested whilst the deal is in progress. If the deal is not confirmed, then why have they released the information ?

If Chris Grady turns the deal down, it will truly underline the incompetence of the current comms team / management of the club. For their sake they better hope the deal goes through.

• Options
    vff said:

Has the club actually talked to Chris O'Grady as to whether he wants to move to London ?

He'll take one look at property prices down here, exclaim "I could buy a whole street for that in Yorkshire!" then flee back home...
  • Options
    vff said:

Has the club actually talked to Chris O'Grady as to whether he wants to move to London ?

I've heard they are sending @AddickUpNorth‌ round to sweet talk him :-)
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    vff said:

1) This is not a done deal ? Has the club actually talked to Chris O'Grady as to whether he wants to move to London ? I really hope that Charlton communications are repeating the same mistake as in the emergency window loans of announcing contact with the club of a player they are interested whilst the deal is in progress. If the deal is not confirmed, then why have they released the information ?

If Chris Grady turns the deal down, it will truly underline the incompetence of the current comms team / management of the club. For their sake they better hope the deal goes through.

the story came from the SLP.

Not all stories are intentionally leaked are they?

Dunno how much the comms team involved In all this do we.
  • Options
    2) I find there is some irony in posters saying that Chris O'Grady did well scoring 15 goals in a struggling team, when Kermogant was sold, we were told that KMG did not do enough to prevent us being in the relegation zone. There you go, nothing like a different persepective eh ?
  • Options
    vff said:

2) I find there is some irony in posters saying that Chris O'Grady did well scoring 15 goals in a struggling team, when Kermogant was sold, we were told that KMG did not do enough to prevent us being in the relegation zone. There you go, nothing like a different persepective eh ?

You'll have to direct me to those comments because I don't remember there being any criticism like that thrown at Kermogant when he left
  • Options

vff said:

How did Cawley get the information ? What do the Comms team actually do ? I wish they would get a bleedin' grip. Whilst it can be difficult to control information these days. It would be nice if they comms team actually got out ahead of something for a change.

For the record Chris O'Grady would be a good addition to the current team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

vff said:

You'll have to direct me to those comments because I don't remember there being any criticism like that thrown at Kermogant when he left
    There were lots and lots and lots of comments on how Stephens and KMG were not that good anyway and that they didn't prevent Charlton struggling. It is a veritable bleedin' chestnut and commented on it many many times.
  • Options
    vff said:

vff said:

How did Cawley get the information ? What do the Comms team actually do ? I wish they would get a bleedin' grip. Whilst it can be difficult to control information these days. It would be nice if they comms team actually got out ahead of something for a change.

He's a reporter, they get stories from several sources, some planned and some leaked.

I've never known the Charlton comms team comment on a potential signing. In fact its very rare that any club does.
  • Options
    I hope he does turn the deal down if we go in for him. I'm really surprised that everyone seems to be foaming at the mouth about this guy, maybe it's more to do with us actually spending some money so people finding that more exciting then who the actual player is. Not trying to dig the player out he did have a very good season for Barnsley last season, but that has been pretty much it in his 11 year career, oh sorry he done ok at Rochdale on loan but once he signed for them his goal scoring was average at best. These type of journeyman players have one good season once every 4 or 5 years. If we sign him he will be a handful for defenders and will score 7-8 goals tops. Like I said in a previous post if his a 3rd of 4th striker then fine but first choice I reckon we will be bang in trouble.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

I hope he does turn the deal down if we go in for him. I'm really surprised that everyone seems to be foaming at the mouth about this guy, maybe it's more to do with us actually spending some money so people finding that more exciting then who the actual player is. Not trying to dig the player out he did have a very good season for Barnsley last season, but that has been pretty much it in his 11 year career, oh sorry he done ok at Rochdale on loan but once he signed for them his goal scoring was average at best. These type of journeyman players have one good season once every 4 or 5 years. If we sign him he will be a handful for defenders and will score 7-8 goals tops. Like I said in a previous post if his a 3rd of 4th striker then fine but first choice I reckon we will be bang in trouble.

Someone somewhere probably once said the same thing about Rikki Lambert
  • Options
    If Roland thinks this is treating us after losing our best keeper, second best defender, best midfielder and best striker. Then he's deluded.

He's a journeyman striker who will have good seasons, he won't if he doesn't gel with the rest of the squad (of which we don't have much of at the moment) but I'd take anyone at the moment, can see alot of these offers being flung and not many signing, though.
  • Options

Nicholas said:

Someone somewhere probably once said the same thing about Rikki Lambert
    totally overrated, totally unbelgian, move on
  • Options
    The leak was more likely to have come from the selling club or his agent to get others involved.

Also just because he is a "unit" doesn't mean we are going to play hoof ball. The football can be as pretty as you like but without a goal scorer it is usually wasted. Good attacking play with wingers crossing the ball for COG to score.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If Roland thinks this is treating us after losing our best keeper, second best defender, best midfielder and best striker. Then he's deluded.

He's a journeyman striker who will have good seasons, he won't if he doesn't gel with the rest of the squad (of which we don't have much of at the moment) but I'd take anyone at the moment, can see alot of these offers being flung and not many signing, though.

Back on the happy pills are we Atletico
  • Options
    vff said:

vff said:

What do the Comms team actually do ? I wish they would get a bleedin' grip. Whilst it can be difficult to control information these days. It would be nice if they comms team actually got out ahead of something for a change.

Sounds like you're the one who needs to get a grip!
  • Options
    Seen a fair bit of O'Grady. Struggled early in his career, but came good under the mercurial Keith Hill at Rochdale and was fantastic for them when they got promoted from League 2 in 2009/10 and then again the following season when they finished 9th in Division 1. That said, I was doubtful he'd be good enough for the Championship and I'm afraid that Wednesday's decision to move him on to Barnsley lends weight to that view.

As others have said, he's big and very powerful and holds the ball up well. Doesn't have much pace, but can play upfront on his own or operate as the focal point of the attack with more mobile players running off him. Despite his size he's not a major threat in the air and nor is he a natural goalscorer, but as he showed last season he can score goals.

He could probably be very effective with the right players around him or, put another way, he could help make less physically impressive players look good. I think Charlton fans would warm to him. However, at the price indicated he'd be expensive I'd have thought and not the kind of signing I'd expected to see under Duchatelet.

The plot thickens.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

Maybe, or he could be a player approaching the best years of his career. There's quite a few examples of targetmen type strikers developing later on in their careers. Yann, Iwelumo, Holt and Lambert to name a few.

If we sign O'Grady we still need at least 1 more striker, ideally 2 or 3.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

That's the spirit.

• Options
    I'm happy with this signing. Barnsley were woeful against us, but he was the only decent player they had.

I know some people aren't too happy if he signs.

Then again, I'd hate to see the short list of players they'd put in front of RD if they were manager...
  • Options
    mrbligh said:

tbf i couldn't care less if we pay £500k £500 or £50 and neither should you.

if super roly wants to spend his money then woop de fuckin doo, spend it and and buy us some players knobhead

you really are one weird boy

• Options
    edited May 2014