Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris O'Grady linked (rumoured £500k bid accepted)

Comments

• Options
    if we're spending this kind of money on every player we're bringing in (we need about 11-12 to replace who's going) then i'll be quietly impressed with the summer's activities.
  • Options
    He should do well with us if he signs. I don't expect him to score bundles of goals but he'll be effective enough. He's good at holding the ball up so could work well with someone a bit quicker alongside him.
  • Options
    After Dyer's comments in the SLP and then hiring that Belgian Bob as our manager, why are we now signing an established championship goalscorer. I'm so confused.
  • Options
    What is wrong with people on here? 500k for a top 10 champ goalscorer it's a bargin, only 28 strong target man in his prime, Yes Please Mr Roland
  • Options
    Yann897 said:

Marvin Sordell 8
    Simon Church 7
    Callum Harriott 6
    Johnnie Jackson 5
    Astrit Ajdarevic 2
    Jordan Cousins 2

Dont forget Wilson and Dervite both got 2, I no you cant be every goalscorer down but if you are putting Astrit and Cousins u cant leave the other 2 out
  • Options
    So the 500k bid wasn't accepted then ?
  • Options
    It's bizarre the polarized comments on here, from moans that all we will sign are freebies and loans from Belgium, to moans that we are spending too much!
  • Options

Yann897 said:

Marvin Sordell 8
    Simon Church 7
    Callum Harriott 6
    Johnnie Jackson 5
    Astrit Ajdarevic 2
    Jordan Cousins 2

Dont forget Wilson and Dervite both got 2, I no you cant be every goalscorer down but if you are putting Astrit and Cousins u cant leave the other 2 out
    I can lol
  • Options
    doronron said:

for suck fake,whats the matter with people on here,we might be signing a championship striker who hit 15 goals last year,he is not from Standard Liege res team,he is only 28 years old and lots of you are moaning,for me it would be a good signing

Keep your knickers on fella, it's just my opinion that I think he wont be good enough. If we sign him I hope he bangs in 30 goals and everyone rips the shit out me. I just dont think he will

• Sponsored links:

• Options

So the 500k bid wasn't accepted then ?

My understanding is there has been a bid accepted but it wasn't 500k it was more than that Cawley probably got told a figure but he's found out exactly today.
  • Options
    I tell you what after the last 2 summers of little to no transfer news, its nice to have something this early.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Reserve judgment till they wear the shirt.

Playing for Charlton is a different ball game:

Marcus Tudgay - The general perseption was yes, weve signed a half decent striker and boy do we need one. (er, no)

Marvin Sordell - He picked up his performances second half of the season, but at 1st, the hype and hope when we brought him in did not match what the player offered.

Bradley Wright phillips - Most people were under-whelmed by this signing at 1st, he gave a good couple of years to us and was a decent forward.

These are not very good major examples to be honest for 'reserving judgment'. But you get it.

What? People were over the moon when we signed BWP.
  • Options

I've heard it was £501k

do you really think we're made of money?! It was £500,000.01
  • Options
    Even at £600k, he'd still be cheaper than Polish Pete...
  • Options

Who decides on player recruitment?

Lucky the cat.
    Lucky is a good name (better than Andrew Mills) oh and is lucky Belgian?

• Options
    Looking at that list of Championship goalscorers, could we realistically do better. No!

Apologies if this link has been posted before but Kevin Nolan gave him rave reviews which I agree with.

http://www.greenwich.co.uk/sport/10821-kevin-nolan-match-report-charlton-v-barnsley-15042014/

Hope we sign him!
  • Options
    Underwhelmed. Another Chris Iwelumo. Prefer someone wit a bit of potential (younger) and some pace rather than a big lump. Take away his 5 pens and he's hardly prolific.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Why are people thinking 500k is high ?. Look at the list of top scorers in the championship which O'Grady is in the middle of and you wouldn't get any of them for less than a million. Why should he be any different?

1 Ross McCormack 28 Leeds
    2 Jordan Rhodes 25 Blackburn
    3 Troy Deeney 24 Watford
    4 Lewis Grabban 22 Bournemouth
    4 Chris Martin 22 Derby County
    6 David Nugent 20 Leicester City
    6 Sam Vokes 20 Burnley
    6 Danny Ings 20 Burnley
    9 Charlie Austin 19 Qpr

10 Craig Bryson 16 Derby County
    10 Jamie Vardy 16 Leicester City
    12 Chris O'Grady 15 Barnsley
    12 Adam Le Fondre 15 Reading
    14 Leonardo Ulloa 14 Brighton
    14 David McGoldrick 14 Ipswich

Exactly.

McCormack is way out of our price range, Rhodes cost about 6-7m, Deeney would never come to us, Grabban is off to the premier league, the ones in bold are already premier league and the other 2 won't exactly leave Derby for us. Which leaves O'Grady as the first realistic option on the top scorers list.................and still some people moan!
    Quite! The best forward available to us, based on last year's results!

• Options
    Leon Clarke was one of the top scorers in league 1 when we signed him #justsaying

I'm the only one on here that has said I dont think he will be good enough. So obviously all this people still moan shit is aimed at me. The difference between the list above is that most of those players have been in that list for the last few years.
  • Options
    Strikers always command the highest fees. I have never seen him, but Beds list is a sensible way to evaluate the fee. Of course, as RM always used to remind us, the wages are as important as the fee. That still hasn't been agreed, clearly.
  • Options
    From a Barnsley forum posted today :

I accept that COG was always likely to leave but anything less than 750k and we've been had yet again I'm afraid.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    At least we are now paying fees for players. Looking at the list of the goal scorers I think it's a good signing.
  • Options

What is wrong with people on here? 500k for a top 10 champ goalscorer it's a bargin, only 28 strong target man in his prime, Yes Please Mr Roland

Not sure, I suppose some people either:

1. Still rememember us spending a £1m on Andy Gray, the Championship's top scorer at the time, and him proving completely ineffective. Similarly the £1.5m spend on McLeod, or the £2.5m on Varney. The proof is in the pudding (in our shirt)

2. Are struggling to come to terms with Roland's strategy. You just start getting your head around the fact that its a wave of cost-cutting, potential strong youth / overseas make up, with a more European style of play. Then we all of a sudden are rumoured to be lumping out a fair whack for a northern lump as a target man !

Personally, i'd be cautiously optimistic if we follow this one through.

Our lack of presence up front post-Yann was utterly painful. But if you exclude penalties COG scored 10 outfield goals last season, his best ever season. Certainly an improvement on what we currently have, but not proven enough (for that fee) to be punching the air with, and no idea how he will fit into Peeters style of play. But at least he knows what the Championship is about.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    @football_league: #SeasonStats: Top 25 goal scorers... http://t.co/OS8zo39Umb
  • Options

Underwhelmed. Another Chris Iwelumo. Prefer someone wit a bit of potential (younger) and some pace rather than a big lump. Take away his 5 pens and he's hardly prolific.

Any suggestions?

I don't realistically see any young goal scoring striker costing less than a million. Even Assombalonga cost Peterborough about 1.5m and he's in league one and had only previously scored goals in league 2.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

Leon Clarke was one of the top scorers in league 1 when we signed him #justsaying

I'm the only one on here that has said I dont think he will be good enough. So obviously all this people still moan shit is aimed at me. The difference between the list above is that most of those players have been in that list for the last few years.

Not just you.