Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris O'Grady linked (rumoured £500k bid accepted)

Comments

• Options
    vffvff
    edited May 2014
    Barnsley fans seem to think 500k is nowhere near enough.

http://bbs.barnsleyfc.org.uk/showthread.php?211009-Chris-O-Grady-off-for-500k&s=a6bd4f970841e5cf3a9aab21ae776fa0</blockquote

Talking about SLP I understand. Danny Wilson's love child at 3.14pm

'It may well be true, it may not be.

Its reputation down here is a shonky one.'

Shonky that is a great word.
  • Options
    My view on the whole situation:

Roland is basically in an argument with us where he knows he's right but can't be bothered to argue anymore, so he's going to make an apology. We've all been in these sort of arguments before. O'Grady is basically a £500,000 apology, giving him the opportunity to make more unpopular decisions and if we try and test him he'll just say in that broken english of his "Remeber that O'Grady I bought you lot!" And hope we'll all sit down and be quiet for another couple of months.
  • Options
    He's never been prolific but is very good at holding the ball up and is an excellent team player. My Sheffield Wednesday and Rochdale supporting mates certainly liked him and he was apparently a source of friction between Mandaric and Megson at Wednesday and a factor in the latter's sacking - another point in O'Grady's favour.

He is certainly streets ahead of anything else we've got on the books and I think that it always makes sense to have a look at the relegated teams in terms of recruitment, given the swingeing cuts they're going to have to make in preparation for League 1. Significant also that he's in the last year of his contract.

More to the point, though - will we actually get him now news of the deal has broken ? I expect that other Championship clubs may well be in for him and pretty well all of them can pay better wages than us.
  • Options
    £500k for someone like that ain't bad, we desperately need a striker and he's certainly a proven goalscorer, he's of good height, quite strong so that's good, from what I've seen he's a solid targetman

I'm quite chuffed that we're linked with players like him, he's not a bad footballer, I hope we sign him and that he's a good Charlton footballer
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I've been a critic of Roland, but I don't think he is stupid enough to go down the same route again in player recruitment this year. I think we'll see plenty of purchases of players who know the league - we're going to need an entirely new core and he will know that he cannot bring in substandard loan players for that. Whether O'Grady is an upgrade on Kermorgant I don't know, considering such a deal would cost us a lot more than keeping Kermorgant would have.
  • Options
    We all know this isnt going to happen - just like nothing before has happened.
    It just isnt RD's blinkered way.
  • Options
    Good signing if we get him. He fits in very well in a narrow 433, big and strong and holds the ball up well.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Good signing if we get him. He fits in very well in a narrow 433, big and strong and holds the ball up well.

Barnsley forum saying if he agrees terms he's ours.

• Options
    J BLOCK said:

I'll believe it when I see it. Could well be that they've leaked this to try and distract from the Alex Dyer quotes. I seem to remember the same thing happening with a rumoured Gradel bid when Yann and Stephens were sold.

Interesting point
    We did try to sign Gradel but his agent said West Spam wanted him. He did an Odemwinge and waited at their place thinking he was gonna sign a deal with them. I know CAFC had 1.5 mill sitting in an account that day ready to pay for him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why am I hearing Chas n Dave in my head? 'There ain't no pleasing you'.

• Options
    Looking at that list of top scorers in the Championship last year, O'Grady is without a doubt the highest placed one that we could reasonably expect to bid for. The fact that we have done so and had the bid accepted gives me some hope (something I didn't think I could say after reading the Alex Dyer piece earlier).

Long way to go yet and Duchatelet has some way to go if he is in anyway interested in bringing us, as a fanbase, with him and his plans. The big if there is is whether he's actually bothered about doing that!
  • Options
    Can we stop this us and them nonsense please? If we sign O'Grady we'll have a replacement for Yann. Admittedly a slightly different one, but we will have addressed a problem. Some people might think £500k is too much, don't see any need to dig them out and label them all anti-RD.
  • Options

Can we stop this us and them nonsense please? If we sign O'Grady we'll have a replacement for Yann. Admittedly a slightly different one, but we will have addressed a problem. Some people might think £500k is too much, don't see any need to dig them out and label them all anti-RD.

400k was too much for a 32 year old. Loved Yann but we would have been mad not to accept given he wanted more money also. Move on.

• Options

Redhenry said:

Barnsley forum saying if he agrees terms he's ours.

Hope so!
  • Options
    From the time he gave us a torrid time in League 1 for Rochdale he impressed me. Would have liked to have signed him then. Thought he was older than 28 and 500k seems a bit steep but would be happy if he joined.
  • Options
    Wouldn't be a bad signing fits the mould that bob Peeters likes to play with a big man

There is a plan just let it happen

All this worry you'll give yourself an ulcer
  • Options
    This is pretty much the level we should realistically be looking at frankly - seems that kids are going to be the bread and butter if RD gets his way but get a few of similar calibre/experience as O'Grady across the midfield and defence and we should be alright. Not prem contenders but not relegation scrappers either... assuming it all goes to plan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks for the input OP. Sounds encouraging.
  • Options
    Odd one this. If RD is picking the players then it's hard to imagine COG would be on his hit list - and for half a million quid!?
    Also don't imagine BP knows much about him. So who has suggested this signing? Chapple?
  • Options
    I'd have him in our squad. Then again I'd take anyone at the minute. If rd wants to spend 500k then its his money not mine so I couldn't give a shiny shite.
  • Options

Good player, very strong at holding up the ball and laying off passes and can score too, he got a standing ovation from us at Hillsborough when he had to be sacrificed after Frimpong got sent off for Barnsley, not many players get that here!

It was a difficult season last year for him at Barnsley, he seemed to start well then had a lean spell, most Barnsley fans seemed to like him.

COG will always be remembered as the player who scored the winner against the pigs that turned our season around back in L1.

Eee'up Piggy lad. Would you have Chris O'Grady back for £500k?
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Odd one this. If RD is picking the players then it's hard to imagine COG would be on his hit list - and for half a million quid!?
    Also don't imagine BP knows much about him. So who has suggested this signing? Chapple?

It must be, there is only Chapple and Protheroe there.
  • Options
    Is Prothero still around?
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Good player, very strong at holding up the ball and laying off passes and can score too, he got a standing ovation from us at Hillsborough when he had to be sacrificed after Frimpong got sent off for Barnsley, not many players get that here!

It was a difficult season last year for him at Barnsley, he seemed to start well then had a lean spell, most Barnsley fans seemed to like him.

COG will always be remembered as the player who scored the winner against the pigs that turned our season around back in L1.

Eee'up Piggy lad. Would you have Chris O'Grady back for £500k?
    Good question and I'd say no, only because IMO 500k is a high price to pay for a player who got relegated.

If it was a free it would've been a very decent sighing however if you're shutting doors on other targets for cog at 500k then I'm not so sure, he does have weaknesses in his game i.e his first touch sometimes lets him down and he can sometimes lack fitness but on the other hand he can score goals, create goals and can hold up play.

• Options
    Decent decent player arrival if it happens.

I seen him score some good goals on tv, he has good touch in the box and holds defenders off well. I also seen him display some shocking touch.

He scored a lot of nice goals in a Rochdale! team with Chris Dagnell. He has a real charger running style and is industrious.

excellent first signing given the climate at the club. Pair him with Bolton's Craig Davis and thats a top half pair of strikers.
  • Options
    According to a Barnsley blog, he was in London discussing personal terms today.
  • Options
    I expect this one to end up with the same conclusion as our, ahem, "bid" for Max Gradel.