Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris O'Grady linked (rumoured £500k bid accepted)

Comments

• Options
    £500k for a striker who scored 15 goals last season for a team that got relegated. Maybe not bad business if true. Also positive that we will spend on players if true. Should we be concerned that this is happening before a manager comes in, but a positive move in my view.
  • Options

How old is he now? We need better than this. They could have kept Yann for the same amount.

He is 28
  • Options
    The following is what is on the SLP web-site.
    "The South London Press understands that a bid in the region of £500,000 has been accepted by the relegated Tykes."
    According to the Barnsley web-site he still has a year left on his current contract which I assume we will be paying something for that. It also states that he is 6'3".
  • Options
    More importantly does anyone know if he's related to the world record holder Toxteth O'Grady ?
  • Options

blockquote class="Quote" rel="iaitch">

I hope he's better than the last striker we signed from Barnsley!

Who was that then?
    Andy Gray

We got Andy Gray from Burnley and sold him onto Barnsley.

I wondered if you were thinking of Redfearn as he scored goals from midfield for them but, needless to say, not us!
  • Options
    Im sure we signed Danny Haynes from Barnsley
  • Options
    Dizzle said:

Im sure we signed Danny Haynes from Barnsley

Yeah we did
  • Options
    I remember the last few we had bids accepted of, all the excuses under the sun were coming out. Didn't want to move down south, didn't want to sign for us... I'll comment when and if he signs for us, bid accepted means nothing if Chris O'Grady doesn't look what he see's within us
  • Options
    just a point who thats WHO has actually signed him ? We aint got a manager .
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Scoham said:

iaitch said:

I hope he's better than the last striker we signed from Barnsley!

Who was that then?
    Andy Gray
    Signed from Burnley and sold to Barnsley
    Ok neil redfearn then , that goalscoring prem midfielder

Edit : just see Len mentioned the magnificent redfearn
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2014
    You've got to say we could do alot worse than O'Grady, scored goals for a very bad Barnsley side.

But I also thought we could do better for £500k.

I'd probably be happy if we signed him.
  • Options
    I really do not get this, We've bid for a Proven, Championship goalscorer, who is also ENGLISH, not Belgian etc, yet some people still arent happy, I understand its nothing more than a bid but surely this shows good intentions and 500k , for us, is a good bid... surely thats positive?!?
  • Options
    Yann897 said:

se9addick said:

Yann897 said:

se9addick said:

Yann897 said:

1, shows we've got money and prepared to spend .
    2, shows we're not only signing network players .
    3, not only foreign players
    4, he's a good solid championship player .

More optimistic about next season than I was half hour ago !
    Very interesting.

To be fair it only shows any of those things if we actually sign him.
    True but it's been accepted so the money is there if we don't get him I'm sure they will use the money else where.
    It "proves" that there is £500k there. You don't do yourself any favours mate, I agree that sometimes there's over the top negativity from some posters, but trying to present any bit of rumour or gossip as vindication of the RD model makes you look like a propaganda merchant.

Why not follow your own advice and wait until the end of the summer before you start the "I told you so"'s.
    To be honest I ain't usually like that and didn't do it when Riga done well it's just everyone keeps doing it to me so I thought oh well , anyway won't do it again but am I allowed to say that I'm happy we're spending money on recognised strikers or not ?
    Yann - not everyone will agree with you but you keep saying what you think as often as you like. You don't have to seek permission.
  • Options
    Not sure why everyone is surprised at us spending money, didn't we spend more than 500k on Polish Pete?
  • Options

I think it must have been the night watchman - he's the only one left at the club when there's no manager.

• Options
    Yann897 said:

se9addick said:

Yann897 said:

se9addick said:

Yann897 said:

1, shows we've got money and prepared to spend .
    2, shows we're not only signing network players .
    3, not only foreign players
    4, he's a good solid championship player .

More optimistic about next season than I was half hour ago !
    Very interesting.

To be fair it only shows any of those things if we actually sign him.
    True but it's been accepted so the money is there if we don't get him I'm sure they will use the money else where.
    It "proves" that there is £500k there. You don't do yourself any favours mate, I agree that sometimes there's over the top negativity from some posters, but trying to present any bit of rumour or gossip as vindication of the RD model makes you look like a propaganda merchant.

Why not follow your own advice and wait until the end of the summer before you start the "I told you so"'s.
    To be honest I ain't usually like that and didn't do it when Riga done well it's just everyone keeps doing it to me so I thought oh well , anyway won't do it again but am I allowed to say that I'm happy we're spending money on recognised strikers or not ?
    You can say whatever you like mate, it's a forum !
  • Options
    I'll believe it when he actually signs. The current policy seems to be to leak the bids, then act all disappointed when the player refuses to join the madhouse that CAFC is sadly becoming...
  • Options
    For those of you with short memories, he scored BOTHgoals for Barnsley at the 2-2 draw at Oakwell.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Good question but I get the impression that the coach is not involved in purchases and sue parkes suggested on Facebook that players would come in before the manager was in place. My suggestion would be that Mathews and Protheroe suggest to the network who agree or not and Kate does the paper work.

• Options

I'll believe it when he actually signs. The current policy seems to be to leak the bids, then act all disappointed when the player refuses to join the madhouse that CAFC is sadly becoming...

Have I missed something - what other bids have been leaked to point to it now being club policy?
  • Options
    At the moment it's just rumours! Nothing more!
  • Options
    I never saw Peeters play but going going by what I've read, COG could be a similar player to Peeters? Perhaps we're going to play off a big target man next year?
  • Options
    Look foirward to seeing him in a

To be fair I can only remember that happening (perhaps) with the Max Gradel bid, lets see how this one plays out.
  • Options
    Does seem slightly overpriced, but a step in the right direction and hey it's not our money is it.
  • Options

I never saw Peeters play but going going by what I've read, COG could be a similar player to Peeters? Perhaps we're going to play off a big target man next year?

Didn't someone say he likes to play 4-3-3 with a big lump in the middle? COG could fit that set-up
  • Options
    Seems crazy really. I must admit I know very little about him, can't say I would recognise him eve if he got in my cab!!!..........BUT BUT BUT I must say IT feels great to read something positive at last!!!
    Maybe we might have a manager next?!?! (Laughable really)
    Good luck Chris.......you know it makes sense!!
    COYR