Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Henderson signs 3 year deal (ed. from Pg 3) !

Comments

• Options

I have no view about Nick Pope other than to say that if he's good enough he's old enough and would not need more experience before being thrown into the Championship.

By way of comparison, and I know these are extreme examples, Pope is older than Thibaut Courtois and older than David de Gea was when he joined Manchester United. While Courtois is somewhat taller than Pope and de Gea, the three appear to have similar builds.

If Pope isn't first choice keeper this coming season it suggests to me that the Club have reservations about him. If Henderson signs and starts then how does Pope develop? If he goes out on loan then we still have Phillips on the bench. Be interesting to see how the Club plays this. I'd have thought network loans, inwards and/or outwards, make a lot of sense for goalkeepers.

One word;

Thuram
    Ill name that tune in one

Pink Panther theme tune

• Options

I have no view about Nick Pope other than to say that if he's good enough he's old enough and would not need more experience before being thrown into the Championship.

By way of comparison, and I know these are extreme examples, Pope is older than Thibaut Courtois and older than David de Gea was when he joined Manchester United. While Courtois is somewhat taller than Pope and de Gea, the three appear to have similar builds.

If Pope isn't first choice keeper this coming season it suggests to me that the Club have reservations about him. If Henderson signs and starts then how does Pope develop? If he goes out on loan then we still have Phillips on the bench. Be interesting to see how the Club plays this. I'd have thought network loans, inwards and/or outwards, make a lot of sense for goalkeepers.

One word;

Thuram
    Two words:

No thanks.

• Options
    how old was Graham Tutt when he was our first choice ?

Cant see an issue with Pope being the first choice
  • Options
    Wages would seem the most likely complication. If we are signing a player who has been on PL wages it seems unlikely it will be to sit on the bench. But I agree we need to sign an experienced keeper. Alnwick might have been ideal, except that I can't imagine he would get back involved with RD.
  • Options

Wages would seem the most likely complication. If we are signing a player who has been on PL wages it seems unlikely it will be to sit on the bench. But I agree we need to sign an experienced keeper. Alnwick might have been ideal, except that I can't imagine he would get back involved with RD.

Why would he have any beef with RD? Genuine question. Seems that he was out of the game very shortly afterwards (for whatever reason) so he can hardly claim to have been frozen out. He was sold but that has to be better than Thuram coming in and being frozen out and not given a chance elsewhere - and Riga proved that if our players were the better option over loanees, it would be them playing. Swings and roundabouts as far as I'm concerned - if Alnwick has a grudge against RD then more fool him, frankly.
  • Options
    Think Pope has to start first choice and whoever comes in fights for the gloves
  • Options
    I think this is all good and whoever is playing the best will get the no 1 spot. Pope and Phillips are young and inexperienced at this level so it makes total sense to bring in someone like O'Henderson. It can only benefit the squad and the fact that Ben Roberts has worked with him in the past is a big plus.
  • Options
    If not mistaken, Alnwick was outed a few days after we lost 3-0 to Doncaster, this was after Thuram apparantly was wanted in goal by somebody outside of our playing staff.

If I am not too far off the mark then I reckon Alnwick is justified in being a tad unhappy.
  • Options

If not mistaken, Alnwick was outed a few days after we lost 3-0 to Doncaster, this was after Thuram apparantly was wanted in goal by somebody outside of our playing staff.

If I am not too far off the mark then I reckon Alnwick is justified in being a tad unhappy.

also known as Sir Roland Duchatelet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

thenewbie said:

Why would he have any beef with RD? Genuine question. Seems that he was out of the game very shortly afterwards (for whatever reason) so he can hardly claim to have been frozen out. He was sold but that has to be better than Thuram coming in and being frozen out and not given a chance elsewhere - and Riga proved that if our players were the better option over loanees, it would be them playing. Swings and roundabouts as far as I'm concerned - if Alnwick has a grudge against RD then more fool him, frankly.
    It's not really about a grudge though, is it? RD wanted him replaced in goal by Thuram, who in the general view was not very good but had been told he would play. Alnwick was shipped out in short order after the Doncaster game very much against the manager's wishes - I'm told by a member of the management that they regarded him as the club's best goalkeeper at the time. There was a view within the playing side of the club at that point that it had degenerated into a circus.

Leaving aside who said what to whom and why, and the rights and wrongs, you just wouldn't think it prudent to put yourself back under that authority, would you, if you had other choices? And I doubt if RD would want to reverse himself either.

What happened after he went to Orient was personal, unpredicted and is nothing to do with the background to his departure from Charlton.
    Unpredicted? Not according to RM
  • Options
    edited July 2014

thenewbie said:

It's not really about a grudge though, is it? RD wanted him replaced in goal by Thuram, who in the general view was not very good but had been told he would play. Alnwick was shipped out in short order after the Doncaster game very much against the manager's wishes - I'm told by a member of the management that they regarded him as the club's best goalkeeper at the time. There was a view within the playing side of the club at that point that it had degenerated into a circus.

Leaving aside who said what to whom and why, and the rights and wrongs, you just wouldn't think it prudent to put yourself back under that authority, would you, if you had other choices? And I doubt if RD would want to reverse himself either.

What happened after he went to Orient was personal, unpredicted and is nothing to do with the background to his departure from Charlton.
    I don't think we can have that discussion, but if RM is suggesting for a moment that he was unloaded because of that it would be despicable behaviour by the club, wouldn't it?
  • Options
    So, how much will we have to pay west ham for a development fee?..............
  • Options

thenewbie said:

I don't think we can have that discussion, but if RM is suggesting for a moment that he was unloaded because of that it would be despicable behaviour by the club, wouldn't it?
    Morally yes. Although I would personally seriously consider doing the same
  • Options
    edited July 2014

thenewbie said:

It was certainly the impression Murray gave at the Trust meeting at the Counting House. He didn't explicitly say that.

At the VIP meeting a couple of weeks later both RM and KM spoke of Alnwick's agent demanding a two year contract or he would pursue other options , so the club allowed him to join the O's . Powell was alongside RM when he said this. Murray said that the reason Thuram was signed was because both Alnwick and Hamer could be out of contract during the summer transfer window and could leave at short notice.

• Options

thenewbie said:

Regarding the final paragraph, if that is the case, I and many others stand corrected.
  • Options
    Do we actually know that we received a fee for Alnwick ?

Qrient supporters were slagging us off at the time because they thought we had them over.
  • Options
    RM stated that both Hamer and Alnwick were out of contract at the end of the season and the long term position of goalkeeper needed resolution. Both players have left the club now although it appears that some still wish to discuss last January and throw in their twopence worth... Yet again.
    As posted before, I'm sure Duchatelet, Peeters and Roberts will do what they consider best for the squad goalkeeping - all the rest is just noise.
    Given Henderson had his contract cancelled at West Ham it seems likely he will sign for someone this week coming.
  • Options
    and Henderson ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i'm very happy about henderson, if as the media states, it is a done deal. the jigsaw is beginning to look like it has some potential...but blackpool apart, i'm sure many champ side supporters are thinking/saying the same thing...
  • Options
    Richard J said:

thenewbie said:

It was certainly the impression Murray gave at the Trust meeting at the Counting House. He didn't explicitly say that.

At the VIP meeting a couple of weeks later both RM and KM spoke of Alnwick's agent demanding a two year contract or he would pursue other options , so the club allowed him to join the O's . Powell was alongside RM when he said this. Murray said that the reason Thuram was signed was because both Alnwick and Hamer could be out of contract during the transfer window and could leave at short notice.

Then why did Thuram end up playing when both of those keepers were at the club?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Don't know much about Henderson. Passes height test at 6'2" but small for a keeper. Prefer Gough as no 2 myself (ducks for cover). How come TBH gets pelters for demanding Pompeys dollar but SH is welcomed?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Apparently Henderson is very average, we were offered Viviano from Palermo on loan but turned him down because we preferred Henderson. Viviano was cheap as well.

• Options
    Ffs
  • Options

Richard J said:

thenewbie said:

At the VIP meeting a couple of weeks later both RM and KM spoke of Alnwick's agent demanding a two year contract or he would pursue other options , so the club allowed him to join the O's . Powell was alongside RM when he said this. Murray said that the reason Thuram was signed was because both Alnwick and Hamer could be out of contract during the transfer window and could leave at short notice.

Apparently Alnwick was ill at Middlesbrough and pulled out on the day . I think his other appearances were when Alnwick had left Charlton and Hamer was still injured.

• Options
    Richard J said:

Richard J said:

thenewbie said:

Apparently Alnwick was ill at Middlesbrough and pulled out on the day . I think his other appearances were when Alnwick had left Charlton and Hamer was still injured.

Wigan away?
  • Options

Richard J said:

Richard J said:

thenewbie said:

Wigan away?
    The day after the transfer window. Phillips is on the bench.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25892763

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Richard J said:

Richard J said:

thenewbie said:

That's a big "apparently". What's beyond question is that Thuram was not a player the management wished to play and he offered no solution to a contract issue whatsoever. He was, after all, on loan himself, albeit an RD loan. I've no wish to revisit this stuff but I am amazed - and actually quite shocked - if it has been suggested that Alnwick's personal issue was any part of the reason Charlton unloaded him in the transfer window.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Richard J said:

thenewbie said:

Absolutely typical Murray these days - two versions depending on who he thought was listening. How could the keepers have been out of contract during the January transfer window? Why loan out Pope then? Why didn't the same issue apply to Morrison/Dervite/Cort?

Did he tell the one about Powell having no transfer targets of his own in January as well at the Counting House or was he still on the "no money" available line at that point? No targets, despite the long article Prothero had recently published about all the lists he kept, and despite the names Powell put forward and RD rejected . . .