Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Henderson signs 3 year deal (ed. from Pg 3) !

Comments

• Options
    One of them to start against Brentford and the other to take the gloves against Colchester . In modern football we need two keepers . Hopefully Dillon Phillips can get a loan at Conference level or above.
  • Options
    Richard J said:

One of them to start against Brentford and the other to take the gloves against Colchester . In modern football we need two keepers . Hopefully Dillon Phillips can get a loan at Conference level or above.

We've got that Bulgarian kid as well haven't we? Him and Dillon should perhaps alternate loan spells
  • Options
    Not sure Pope has taken his opportunity with both hands pre-season . Not saying he has been poor, but maybe he needed to be brilliant to convince the manager we needed a second keeper to him. I suspect Henderson will be the number one.
  • Options
    Very much doubt that Henderson has come here to be 2nd choice
  • Options
    I don't think pre season for Pope will have had anything to do with this signing. Pope as an unchallenged first choice would have been a big gamble at 21 years of age with only one 1st team and 27 lower league appearances under his belt. A second keeper capable of performing at this level and at 26 years of age with over 100 league games albeit for a number of teams was essential, Henderson fits the bill nicely. For a keeper he should be coming into his prime and is young enough to fit the RD investment criteria especially as SH will have had strong references from Ben Roberts. Hopefully Pope and Henderson will bring the best out of one another competing for the GK jersey which can only be good for those individuals and the club. Welcome Stephen I look forward to seeing you in action.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    If you're good enough, you play no matter how many appearances you have
  • Options
    edited July 2014

If you're good enough, you play no matter how many caps.

Eh? Pope hasn't got any caps and Henderson has played 8 times for the Irish U21s. Experience counts though and Henderson has the advantage but it's up to Pope to make himself the preferred choice given the opportunity.
  • Options
    What does having U21 caps mean? Plenty of Man U players get picked for England because who they play for. Rufus was better than most of the CH's that played for England but he never got a game because he played for charlton
  • Options

What does having U21 caps mean? Plenty of Man U players get picked for England because who they play for. Rufus was better than most of the CH's that played for England but he never got a game because he played for charlton

It doesn't mean anything who said it does?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    You pointed it out in your previous post. Actually I think I misread your point, so sorry about that
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2014
    I was merely responding to the use of the word 'caps' by ooo....Jay.....ooo by pointing out that Pope has none and Henderson has played for Ireland U21s. No worries my emphasis was on Hendersons age and game time giving him an advantage but I have no preference until I see them both in action this season.
  • Options
    Almonds said:

Looks a good signing, an upgrade on Hamer though ? His appearances aren't a problem he's had loans at other championship clubs which shows he can play in the league.

More Championship experience than Hamer had before we were promoted.
  • Options
    He also has a better beard than Hamer
  • Options
    Yes, it seems the Charlton keeper's beard trope continues.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Swisdom said:

Will be good to see him and Popey battle it out to be between the sticks.

All we need now is Bahebeck and Wood and we are play-off contenders

Sorry, I may have missed this. Is the PSG winger, Bahebeck being linked?
    Apparently we put a bid in for him but it was rejected.

Good signing, two away from a very threatening team on paper.
    Not knocking you or anything but how do we know we potentially have a "very threatening team on paper" when half of the players we've never heard of before!
    That's why I'm saying 'should, could'. I don't see how not knowing who they were before linked with us means that the term 'on paper' can't be used. If a guy can score a hatrick against Switzerland in a world cup qualifier then it shouldn't matter if we've heard of him or not before. We know these players can score and they have shown quality. So on paper if the team gels well and they can bring their best for us like they have at their previous clubs then we should be a threatening team...

• Options

Swisdom said:

Not knocking you or anything but how do we know we potentially have a "very threatening team on paper" when half of the players we've never heard of before!
    That's why I'm saying 'should, could'. I don't see how not knowing who they were before linked with us means that the term 'on paper' can't be used. If a guy can score a hatrick against Switzerland in a world cup qualifier then it shouldn't matter if we've heard of him or not before. We know these players can score and they have shown quality. So on paper if the team gels well and they can bring their best for us like they have at their previous clubs then we should be a threatening team...

Fair enough. As I said I wasn't knocking you.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

He also has a better beard than Hamer

Goalies are all mad - and I speak as someone whose son is a goalkeeper!
  • Options

Swisdom said:

I didn't take it as a knock mate, was just explaining what I meant better. I see where you're coming from. There's a lot of people who are concerned that the signings are unheard of by the majority of us. Personally I'm really happy with the signings.
  • Options

Swisdom said:

I didn't take it as a knock mate, was just explaining what I meant better. I see where you're coming from. There's a lot of people who are concerned that the signings are unheard of by the majority of us. Personally I'm really happy with the signings.

Swisdom said:

Same here. It's a slightly nervous excitement though given that so little is known about the new signings. Hoping the players will gel early doors though so we are in a good place come January.
  • Options
    Just looked at two pictures of Stephen on the CAFC site. Which one is him ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Two talented keepers and doubt coach has any certainty about which one will earn the shirt. They'll be left to battle it out but believe Pope will get the jersey first. No way should Pope be loaned out for experience, he will not learn about the Championship in L1 and has proved he can handle L1 standard. Basic skills don't change whatever the division, he needs to prove himself or fail in the Championship.

Agree with comments that competition will remove pressure from Pope not to let the side down, and pressure to keep his place is healthier more positive pressure for a youngster.

Aren't York in league 2?
  • Options
    Ben Hamer lookalike.
  • Options
    I know we're going to find out , but is this fella any good , i can't ever remember seeing him play?
  • Options

I know we're going to find out , but is this fella any good , i can't ever remember seeing him play?

As far as I can tell he's not disgraced himself at the clubs he's played for but similar to Alnwick in that he never really had a long established run of games as any club undisputed number one - he's a loan ranger not a stayer thus far. He hasn't really got the pedigree to guarantee himself the number one jersey next season but he's good enough that Pope's going to have to fight to be first choice keeper. Pretty good deal on a free.
  • Options
    Seems we've been after him for a while, so the 'Network' listens it seems
  • Options
    Rothko said:

I wonder how many 'spare' Keepers there are floating around the network
  • Options

Rothko said:

Thuram's still going spare I imagine!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Sounds like Henderson was our first choice target before we signed Hamer going by Roberts' interview on the OS. Also sounds as if he is very much coming in to be number one.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    craigcafc said:

Rothko said:

Thuram's still going spare I imagine!!!
    So are the travelling faithfull that watched him at Boro and Wigan last season, not to mention the pass to the QPR striker at the Valley who coudn't believe his luck and fluffed his lines :-0