Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Henderson signs 3 year deal (ed. from Pg 3) !

Comments

• Options
    On first viewing I was not overly impressed but our goalkeeping team have long been admirers of him so I'm confident he will be a good acquisition. I though he looked quite nervous yesterday. First game at The Valley ? Confident he'll come good.
  • Options
    Henderson looks ok, good enough but nothing special .. And his distribution is second rate ( yes we were spoilt by Hamer)

Have high hopes for Pope though, like to see how good he. Is or can be.
  • Options
    But if Henderson is out for a while, who will be number 2, Phillips I presume, is he good enough?
  • Options
    If Henderson's injury is a long term one I wouldn't mind getting Jack Butland in on loan.
  • Options
    Saw Phillips and Pope play in Belgium and imo Phillips was as good if not better.
  • Options
    TravHouse said:

If Henderson's injury is a long term one I wouldn't mind getting Jack Butland in on loan.

That would push Pope back to number 2 again
  • Options
    Lots of debate on here when Hamer left as to whether Pope was up to this standard yet. We've since signed a keeper who has a proven track record at this level. Now Pope has a chance to cause Bob a real headache. I for one hope he does..................
  • Options
    I was always for giving Pope a shout before Henderson was signed but clearly the whole season rests on the first ten games so the club chose to manage the risk.
    I can't see another permanent signing so a lot depends on how long Henderson is out.
    Given we have two games vs Derby and two winnable away games it will be interesting to see how this pans out.
  • Options
    As Henderson is injured for the time being, may be it would be good to give Phillips a chance against Derby, he's been at our academy since about under 11's may be for longer. I was fighting for a place with him when I was on a 6 week trial at the academy as a GK, needless to say he was the better keeper! Look forward to seeing him and Pope in action in the forthcoming games
  • Options

As Henderson is injured for the time being, may be it would be good to give Phillips a chance against Derby, he's been at our academy since about under 11's may be for longer. I was fighting for a place with him when I was on a 6 week trial at the academy as a GK, needless to say he was the better keeper! Look forward to seeing him and Pope in action in the forthcoming games

No to giving him a chance vs Derby. That will come in the cup. Pope is established as second choice and deserves the chance to cement his spot as first team keeper. Phillips will get there but isn't ready just yet - definitely not against a team like Derby.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My only concern with Pope apart from the fact he took out two Wigan is he still needs to bulk up and I do think given half a chance he will get roughed up by some hairy arsed forwards, but let's give him some games and see.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

My only concern with Pope apart from the fact he took out two Wigan is he still needs to bulk up and I do think given half a chance he will get roughed up by some hairy arsed forwards, but let's give him some games and see.

Not sure that Bikey would agree with that;-) But, yes, at the moment he does look a bit stick insect like, but he's got a whole lot of guts. I would love to see him come good.
  • Options

Kap10 said:

Not sure that Bikey would agree with that;-) But, yes, at the moment he does look a bit stick insect like, but he's got a whole lot of guts. I would love to see him come good.
    He does. But so did Van Der Saar at Man U, who was one of the best.
  • Options
    Rotten luck for Henderson, who looks a decent keeper, but it opens the door to Nick Pope. My gut feeling (and it is no more than that) is that he may prove difficult to dislodge.
  • Options
    I agree. For some reason I feel Pope will come in and make it difficult to drop him. Sometimes these things happen. I would have liked Pope to start as number one with an experienced back up and was slightly disappointed when Henderson signed. Will be interesting to see how this pans out over the season.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Some of the shit on here is just weird. Against brentford his handling and distribution was fine and had no shots to save. Same against Colchester. He wasn't even that bad against Wigan one of his poor pass outs was Ben haims fault, Henderson had the ball at his feet and was waiting for TBH to move out wide and show for the ball but he didn't he just waved his hands in the air to say pass it to him central which would have been worse as a Wigan player was closing him down. He played it wide tbh didn't move and we was in trouble. I liked Hamer but let's wait until Henderson has made as many clangers as him before we write him off.
  • Options
    Think Henderson will be fine but pleased Pope has got a chance and think he will seize it.

On the subject of distribution, at one point Pope kicked it long to our right wing - I commented it was like a rugby kick. Caused chaos among Wigan defenders, and we got a corner. Big Bad Bob broke into a huge grin and gave Pope the thumbs up.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Didnt Pope have the ball in his hands at one point against Fleetwood (in the Play-Offs), tried throwing long to a team-mate and it went straight to the opposition Goalkeeper?
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

Some of the shit on here is just weird. Against brentford his handling and distribution was fine and had no shots to save. Same against Colchester. He wasn't even that bad against Wigan one of his poor pass outs was Ben haims fault, Henderson had the ball at his feet and was waiting for TBH to move out wide and show for the ball but he didn't he just waved his hands in the air to say pass it to him central which would have been worse as a Wigan player was closing him down. He played it wide tbh didn't move and we was in trouble. I liked Hamer but let's wait until Henderson has made as many clangers as him before we write him off.

He made a great save against Brentford where we got down and tipped one round the post in the 2nd half.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kap10 said:

Plenty of hairy arsed forwards in L2, he came through that test brilliantly last season. Reading some comments from his time at York, he seems very commanding in the box, never flinches from coming off his line...as we saw on Saturday.

He is untried, and hence a gamble, but surely deserves a chance if Hendo is out. Would have preferred him to have played against Colchester to get his season up & running, but at least he's had some minutes.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

The handbook suggests that he is only a stone lighter than Bikey. And the same weight as Henderson. If he puts on any more weight he'll sink into the pitch!
    Red7Oak said:

Saw Phillips and Pope play in Belgium and imo Phillips was as good if not better.

Saw Phillips play at Billericay and I wouldn't want him anywhere near the first team on that performance which maybe just indicates you can't tell much from a quick showing in pre-season.

• Options
    Plaaayer said:

Nicholas said:

He made a great save against Brentford where we got down and tipped one round the post in the 2nd half.
    Yes your right totally forgot about that one. That was a cracking save too.

• Options
    I just hope no matter what happens, Pope has a good game, to give him confidence.
  • Options

how anyone can say definitively, that Pope is better than Henderson

how anyone can say Henderson isn't looking good is ridiculous.

I think the answer to both of these for the doubters can be answered with, he isn't Hamer.

• Options
    We will probably have to wait until about the end of the year, when they have both had a few games
  • Options
    Not seen enough of him to judge his ability but Henderson does look a little "heavy" to me. He may not have been fully fit from the off.

As for Pope all I've seen of him are his two sub appearances so again too early to judge fully. He does seem to want to command his area though which I like.
  • Options
    Even if Henderson is out for a month I would rather our resources and recruitment focus stays on an 8 and 9. Pope deserves his chance and Phillips can cover for a game if needed. No point in getting someone in over Pope at this stage. Looking forward to seeing how he gets on.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Kap10 said:

The handbook suggests that he is only a stone lighter than Bikey. And the same weight as Henderson. If he puts on any more weight he'll sink into the pitch!
    Blimey, heavy bones me thinks!!! Planning to get home and study the player stats now!!

• Options
    edited August 2014
    The handbook also says Igor is 14st. Thought he looked nowhere near that on Sat. On the website Igor's weight is 11st, much more like it. Think they put his shirt number in handbook rather than his weight. Hope Pope is not down as 30st then.