Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Henderson signs 3 year deal (ed. from Pg 3) !

Comments

• Options
    Good to get another keeper in and welcome to the club. Hope Pope is given a chance this season but we couldn't start the season with just Pope and Phillips as our senior keepers
  • Options

The only video I can find of him:

- Brave save at 24 seconds.
    - Could of been off his line quicker around 1 minute.
    - Lansbury scores at 1.13...you've got to be something extremely special to save that.
    - Flounders at 1.30, bit of a let off. Hard to say whether he should have just gone for the ball or not, but Chris Solly isn't leaving someone in that amount of space

We should not judge him based on what appears to be the only video of him on YouTube, especially give it's only one game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3w5zMYe8bk

You do realise thats not him in goal after his first save as he went off injured
  • Options
    Good to have you on board, Steve .
  • Options
    Sounds like a good signing, I look forward to seeing him play!
  • Options
    I'm happy with this signing. Quite a bit of Championship experience which will be needed. When we signed Ben Hamer, although a Reading player, he'd played at a number of clubs and earned his stripes...Welcome SH
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Will be good to see him and Popey battle it out to be between the sticks.

All we need now is Bahebeck and Wood and we are play-off contenders

Sorry, I may have missed this. Is the PSG winger, Bahebeck being linked?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    For the last 3-4 weeks yes...
  • Options
    So is this some/all of the Diego compensation package?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2014

So is this some/all of the Diego compensation package?

West Ham terminated his contract before we picked him up on a free so there was no direct contact between the two clubs in the deal (although in reality this probably isn't the case and the clubs did discuss Henderson).
  • Options

Swisdom said:

Apparently we put a bid in for him but it was rejected.

Good signing, two away from a very threatening team on paper.
  • Options

Swisdom said:

French media reckon between 2-4 million euros for him.
  • Options

Swisdom said:

French media reckon between 2-4 million euros for him.
    Yeah just seen it on the other thread.

Well we were meant to have offered 1mill for him. So I don't see why the club wouldn't add that 500k extra to secure some quality if we can still spend. If we sign him or Wood my optimism is going to be out of control.

• Options
    edited July 2014
  • Options

Out of curiousity how old was Sam Bartram when he made his Debut for the club? (Coming from Non-League Boldon Villa by the way rather than a League Two team).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Bartram... Based on this and my maths he was 20 years old himself...

Ah, but it was different in those days. Footballs were heavy then absorbing water as the game progressed. Being a goalkeeper was more about being physically strong enough to stop the ball rather than being agile, anticipatory and having safe hands.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    The ball absorbed water, had a lace, was f#####g heavy when wet, and could go out of shape as the game progressed. It rarely deviated, though, but 'keepers managed to 'catch' as well as punch, and had very little protection from refs......rules were different. From my memory 'keepers were extremely agile and it was much tougher moving around in the mud. Safe hands were a must, anticipation was no different. Distribution didn't matter, you just kicked it as far as you could
  • Options
    Good keeper, I'm happy.
  • Options
    http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20140721-henderson-on-roberts-1770980.aspx

Some good comments from Henderson in regards to Ben Roberts: I worked with Ben about three years ago and he is without doubt one of the best goalkeeping coaches that I have ever worked with.

Sounds like Ben is a Goalkeeping Coach that we should tie down for a good number of years... Was interesting when they released the Goalkeeper GoPro Training Video showing him using tennis balls to work on reflexes, probably a really simple idea and wonder if its a technique used by the majority of clubs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The sort of "on paper looks to be an alright for our level " type signing that we should indeed be making .But I hope that he proves to be even better than that .One very important consideration :does he tend to come out for crosses and deal with them unconvincingly with a two fisted punch that never properly relieves danger .Alternatively , does he come out shoulder high with knees and fists flying Manuel Neuer style and totally clear out any danger along with the body parts of an oncoming forward? I know which style of keeping I would prefer and hope that Roberts can coach it.
  • Options
    120 games in 7 years isn't great
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Was interesting when they released the Goalkeeper GoPro Training Video showing him using tennis balls to work on reflexes, probably a really simple idea and wonder if its a technique used by the majority of clubs

It is common practice for a lot of sports now to help with reflexes, I remember a couple of years a go before one of the F1 races they were showing what some of the drivers did to prepare other than driving, and Nico Rosberg was using tennis balls to improve reflexes.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Averages out at 17 a year. Not too bad considering he was in West Ham's reserves for two of those.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

PL54 said:

Averages out at 17 a year. Not too bad considering he was in West Ham's reserves for two of those.

More first team games than Ben Alnwick has played . Let's give him a chance.

• Options
    Looks a good signing, an upgrade on Hamer though ? His appearances aren't a problem he's had loans at other championship clubs which shows he can play in the league.
  • Options

Out of curiousity how old was Sam Bartram when he made his Debut for the club? (Coming from Non-League Boldon Villa by the way rather than a League Two team).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Bartram... Based on this and my maths he was 20 years old himself...

I do agree with you but there certainly was not the same pressure, media exposure, social networking, tv coverage etc. I think this "could" be a really good signing for Pope as well as Charlton Football Club.
    As others have already mentioned, "if" we get of to a poor start I think it could really damage him. However I do think he will possibly be our number one next season if not by the end of this, he is undoubtedly a real talent but I think a goalkeeper is SO different from putting a young player out on pitch (speaking with experience!)
    Once again another really good signing by us I believe.
    Still, only time will tell and it's another tough decision for our Mr Peeters!

COYR....
  • Options

Swisdom said:

Not knocking you or anything but how do we know we potentially have a "very threatening team on paper" when half of the players we've never heard of before!
  • Options
    Two talented keepers and doubt coach has any certainty about which one will earn the shirt. They'll be left to battle it out but believe Pope will get the jersey first. No way should Pope be loaned out for experience, he will not learn about the Championship in L1 and has proved he can handle L1 standard. Basic skills don't change whatever the division, he needs to prove himself or fail in the Championship.

Agree with comments that competition will remove pressure from Pope not to let the side down, and pressure to keep his place is healthier more positive pressure for a youngster.