Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sport of Kings discussion thread

Comments

• Benvolio scratched from Scot Nat - ground.
    The Thompson's bought him as GN horse - seems like they'll need to find a new trainer if they want to see him run in an April National.

The Nicholls stable has hit a bit of a brick wall. 24 runners since he had a winner and horses unplaced at 8/11, 2/1, 11/4, 4/9, 7/4, 5/2, and 7/2 in that time.

Watch his only other runner today, Valco De Touzaine in the Fontwell 2.40 hack up now I've pointed this out!
  • Benvolio scratched from Scot Nat - ground.
    The Thompson's bought him as GN horse - seems like they'll need to find a new trainer if they want to see him run in an April National.

The Nicholls stable has hit a bit of a brick wall. 24 runners since he had a winner and horses unplaced at 8/11, 2/1, 11/4, 4/9, 7/4, 5/2, and 7/2 in that time.

Watch his only other runner today, Valco De Touzaine in the Fontwell 2.40 hack up now I've pointed this out!
    Second
  • smiffyboy said:

Benvolio scratched from Scot Nat - ground.

Second
    Yes too close for comfort as I happened to be on Opening Batsman ;-)
  • I notice McCoy is riding today at Ayr, he currently has no ride in the Scottish national but is staying up there to ride Lettheriverrundry in the last, to do that he surely has high hopes for the horse.
  • the McCoy factor really is in full force, how on earth tap night was fave in that race
  • I totally agree and to be truthful I've said before I'm sick of it all but there must be a reason for him to stay there and turn more rides down elsewhere
  • smiffyboy said:

I totally agree and to be truthful I've said before I'm sick of it all but there must be a reason for him to stay there and turn more rides down elsewhere

I know that they aren't for McManus but he's riding Sea Lord in the Scottish National and Upsilon Bleu in the 4.25 as well.

There's only Bangor on offer tomorrow too so unlikely to get many more rides (and for less money too) there.
  • OK, 14/1 shot Benvolio is scratched. Broadway Buffalo and Harry The Viking still my main selections but I shall add 2 long-shots e/w 5 places that should appreciate the decent surface.

AMIGO [8-10-00] (33/1 5 places) - generally a disappointment since arriving from France (yet to register a chase win here in 7 attempts) but his last run suggests that a sound surface could be the key to seeing him at his best.
    As a 6 year-old he showed that a marathon trip could suit with a creditable 18L 7th in the 2013 Welsh National on heavy but, as significantly, was an impressive staying-on close 2nd to Carruthers last month at Newbury over the Hennessy trip on quick ground with 11.10 - jumping much better than he's shown on occasions this season on more testing going.
    Maybe the yard's second string but I'll happily settle for a Pipe one-two (or one-five - I'm not fussy!).

BAILEYS CONCERTO [9-10-03] (50/1 5 places) - my model rated Baileys Concerto as strong place potential for the GN on a decent surface (just missed the cut). That doesn't necessarily translate to the Scottish National (very different trends) BUT I find myself asking why, on quick ground and off the same mark, wouldn't I back him for a 33f trip (complete unknown for him - unraced beyond 3m) when I was prepared to do so for 35.5f? By way of a reminder:
    • 80% strike rate (wins and <4L near misses) on Spring Ground (2 months from the start of the Festival)
    • Only 3 chases at 3m but impressive staying-on 3.5L 2nd to If In Doubt (IID subsequently ran well in the RSA Chase) in competitive 3m Class 1 SkyBet Chase at Donny in January on GS.
    It's true that most recent Scot Nat winners and near-things had form at 29f+ but last year's 40/1 winner Al Co was an exception to that, as was Auroras Encore (another spring ground lover), close runner up 3 years ago.

Once again, a warning: LOW CONVICTION
  • Scots National tomorrow ? .. Al Co and Goonyella

• Martyn Meade has Glen Moss in the Listed race at Lingfield (1.45). More of a 7f horse, if they do go a good clip it might run into a place. Currently 12/1 available.

AA..Well done, seems like Mr Meade is finding form just before the flat season !
    Stable starting the season well. 8/1 (unraced filly at HQ today) and 10/1 winners from last three runners.
    Started where he left off. Gutted I missed it but will start blindly backing his 2 year olds !
    He has Explain in the Bath 5.40 today but all the value has walked out the door with it being around 7/4.

Of more interest might be Maybe Definitely in the Newbury 5.10 tomorrow - an unraced 3-y-o.
    Maybe Definitely is 25s. Well worth a few quid I reckon
  • Sponsored links:

• 1:15 Newbury Viewpoint
    2:15 Newbury Tiggy Wiggy
    3:55 Thirsk Heavens Guest
    4:25 Ayr Rascal
    4:45 Bangor Steel Summit
    5:05 Thirsk Uptight
  • Mahsoob has just won the 1st at Newbury in impressive style having been drawn wide and coming from the back to win with a bit in hand, he's one to look out for in future races
  • Gallant Oscar N/R for Scot Nat
  • Trustan Times (3rd last year) ad Harry The Viking being supported in the market.

Happy to see a good run by The Last Samuri (just pipped on the line - jockey arguably out-ridden) in the opener (a good benchmark for future stayers) - kind of franks the form for Harry The Viking.
  • Gallant Oscar N/R for Scot Nat

Tony Martin - two runners at Ayr today. Both Non Runners. Hope he enjoys the hospitality in the owners and trainers bar.
  • Strange ride given to Tiggy Wiggy. Hughes definitely not at his best there.
  • Wayward Prince .. at last ((:>)
  • edited April 2015
    Wayward Prince
    Goonyella (bad luck Lincs....close one)
    Benbens
    Amigo (thought he looked the winner coming into the straight)
    Catching On
    Broadway Buffalo (didn't get home)
  • Wayward Prince
    Benbens
    Catching On

Cheers Peanuts .. he's a good prospect for THE National next year ??
  • Wayward Prince
    Benbens
    Catching On

Didn't get over the first in the Becher Chase but Pineau De Re didn't get past the 8th either before winning the GN.
    Got to be bullish now I think - bottomless stamina and clearly acts on a decent surface.
  • Sponsored links:

• Wayward Prince
    Benbens
    Catching On

Didn't get over the first in the Becher Chase but Pineau De Re didn't get past the 8th either before winning the GN.
    Got to be bullish now I think - bottomless stamina and clearly acts on a decent surface.
    agreed .. owned by the very successful Potts, who own the 'Sizings' partnership and can only get better .. I got on him y/day at 25s, went off 16s .. so he's now been recognised as a good un .. BUT .. he came just second of course
  • Moral victory Lincs - glass half full!......... I'm sure AA would agree :smiley:
  • had him e/w of course
  • Al Co 7th
    Harry The Viking 8th

3.7 secs slower than standard (14.94 secs per furlong) - no prisoners.
  • Moral victory Lincs - glass half full!......... I'm sure AA would agree :smiley:

Lincs wants to pray I don't back the Goon next year. Unless he's happy with a place that is!

One of my few and biggest wins in the National was West Tip. Having backed him the year before when he fell, I went "all in" and thankfully Dunwoody did the business.

Took a mate and all the employees of the local Hills (think it was actually a Mecca at that time) out for a Chinese.

Wouldn't happen these days. I haven't had a bet in a bookies for over decade!

• £10 double on;

2:45 - Pontefract - Express Himself

3:20 - Pontefract - Supplicant
  • Couple of horses today

2:30 Exeter Horstead Valley

4:35 Briac

6:45 Brighton Fleckerl
  • Horstead valleyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
  • I jumped on this smiffyboy, great start pal.
  • Soapy Aitkin in the 1.55 Leicester horse will win and is on route to Royal Ascot